Caribbean Princess or Celebrity Summit

as41shots

We're looking at a December holiday cruise out of San Juan. Two families with a total of 3 boys - 18, 14, 14.

Any thoughts on which might offer the better total experience? We like the itineraries on each. Never cruised on Princess, but our first cruise was on X about 8 years ago to Bermuda which we enjoyed very much, and we have been on 3 RCCL cruises since then, also very satisfied (except for when my photo knapsack got stolen in Miami while being loaded on the ship, but that is my fault for being an idiot and letting them have it in the first place).

I'm leaning towards X, but have a little concern about there being enough kids for the boys to hang with.

Great boards here on CC, so I am looking forward to your input. Will cross post on the X board.

Thanks.

Since it is a holiday sailing there will be plenty of kids on board either. We have sailed both and personally have enjoyed Celebrity better. It is a little bit more upscale without being stuffy.

But the number 1 reason is, the Caribbean Princess will be going into drydock following the holiday season.

You sill have a great time on either. Enjoy...

Alan

How often do ships go into drydock? Is this just for normal maintenance or is there something bigger?

It varies. Yes normal maintenance is done. But also large sacale upgrades are also typicaly done while in dry dock. For example - the Caribbean Princess will be going into dry dock for the retro fits of the different resturaunts such as the crown grill and vines (to be compatible with the other Grand class ships in the fleet) as well as having the sanctuary added. They are also going to replace the generator that has failed during the dry dock.

I have been on both ships and would pick Caribbean Princess.

There's more to do....more places to eat, more and better shows, Movies Under the Stars, freshwater pools.

Haven't kept up with any maintenance issues Caribbean Princess may be having, but aside from that, Princess usually *keeps up* the interior of their ships better than Celebrity. A Princess ship going into drydock sometimes looks better than a Celebrity ship coming out.:D My opinion only, of course.

It varies. Yes normal maintenance is done. But also large sacale upgrades are also typicaly done while in dry dock. For example - the Caribbean Princess will be going into dry dock for the retro fits of the different resturaunts such as the crown grill and vines (to be compatible with the other Grand class ships in the fleet) as well as having the sanctuary added. They are also going to replace the generator that has failed during the dry dock.

Thanks! And what is "the sanctuary"?

My family has done two Christmas/Holiday cruises, one on Celebrity (Century) and on one Princess (Caribbean Princess). In my opinion I would go with the Caribbean Princess, all other things being fairly equal.

I would go with Princess because of the flexable dining options and more activities for the teens.

By the way, both cruises were great.

Chris

Archived