Ship library question from a newbie!

Cadie

Hello :)

First time cruiser here ... this site has been so helpful, I'm truly addicted to CC! The one question I have that I can't seem to find answered here relates to the library on Carnival ships (Conquest to be specific). I can't seem to find any information relating to hours of operation? can books be checked out? do they have a good selection? I'm trying to pack as light as possible (as if I could actually accomplish this,ha!) and not dragging 3 -4 books from NB Canada would be helpful!

Thanks!

Gisele

I would post this question on the Carnival board.

It has been about 5 years since I cruised on the Carnival Victory. They had a library. I remember this because they were shooting a tv show and the library was used as a card room. I wouldnt worry about the hours of operation, just check the library out as early in the cruise as possible because there is usually a shelf to leave a book and take a book. You don't have to check these out. I usually find the best paperbacks there. But otherwise there is always something.

DH and I sometimes chose our books together so we can switch if we have to. (e.g. I finish a book the last day of the cruise and want something for the trip home).

And do leave a book!

The libraries are a little limited, but I can always find books to read. On our last cruise (Spirit) the library hours were very limited; something like from 10-11 AM most days and on that ship the books were very inconveniently shelved with the computers sitting on narrow desks right in front of the books, so that if anyone was on a computer you couldn't reach the books. It was very awkward, trying to crane your body around the computers to find a book.

Book selection is pretty random but hits most of the genre's, both fiction and nonfiction. There are quite a few paperbacks, too, which didn't have to be returned. I think many of those were donated to the library by passengers leaving the ship and not wanting to carry their already read paperbacks back home.

I usually take one or two books with me from home but I do find something to read in the ship libraries as well.

Thanks so much to both of you! I'll read anything so the swap type library sounds just fine to me. Btw, egg, good suggestion about posting this on carnival ... still learning about this board thingie, I now know I need to figure out how to move a post! :D

Gisele

Glad to help. On most ships I've been on you do have to check out the hard cover books; on the Spirit those shelves had doors that locked when the library wasn't open, I think, so you couldn't just wander in any time and take a book.

They also have games to check out.

I'm with you Nebr ... I love the feel of a real book, although the convenience of the kindle sounds great, I'm going to hold out for the real thing for awhile longer :)

I use the Sony Reader which is similar to the Kindle but less expensive. (I don't know how the cost of book compares) I've been reading on one type of electronic device or another for over 10 years and recommend it to anyone who is an avid reader. The convenience of being able to carry 20 or 30 (or more) books anywhere, anytime, is fantastic! And not being concerned about weight or space when travelling is definitely a plus............... :D

I can see that devices like the Kindle would be great for traveling. It's hard to be sure to pack enough books to last for a whole trip; I get kind of panicky if I'm going to be on a plane, for instance, and I've read all my books.

For long trips, like to Asia or Africa I usually pack a couple of very long, dense books, like GWTW or David Copperfield that I can't finish in a day or two. But with the current weight and bag restrictions I may have to rethink that!

My other sister gets the books on CDs for road trips. Listening is not my preferred way of getting information or fiction--in college lectures were torture. I want to read it myself, book in hand, eyes on page. It's how I assimilate best.

But that would be a great option if listening to books works for you. Guess I'm the old-fashioned type.

I travel alot for work, mostly by car. Although I prefer to read then listen, the books on CD have been wonderful for the long car trips... makes a 4 hour drive through the NB wilderness go by in no time!

To answer your question about the library hours (I didn't see a reply), the library is open during the entire cruise but only attended several hours a day. Usually around 10 am and around 3 pm on sea days. It will be open for an hour. At those times, there will be an attendant to unlock the cabinets and let you check out books. You can go to the library any time just to read or work crosswords, etc. They also have sudoku sheets and trivia sheets but you may have to ask the attendant for these. On some ships they are sitting out and others you have to ask for them.

To answer your question about the library hours (I didn't see a reply), the library is open during the entire cruise but only attended several hours a day. Usually around 10 am and around 3 pm on sea days. It will be open for an hour. At those times, there will be an attendant to unlock the cabinets and let you check out books. You can go to the library any time just to read or work crosswords, etc. They also have sudoku sheets and trivia sheets but you may have to ask the attendant for these. On some ships they are sitting out and others you have to ask for them.

Just to add to what this poster said, every day, the Capers will have the times listsed that the attendant will be in the library. They vary from day to day and from ship to ship. I've always found something to read in the various ships' libraries. Have a fabulous cruise.:D

Archived