Hair cuts in ship's salon

Kruizin'Kath

I hope someone has had a haircut in a ship's salon and can advise me. I am thinking of a makeover haircut, and wonder if the hairdressers on the ships are good at cutting, or are most of their customers just getting their hair done for dinner? I'm not very brave :eek: & I thought I would surprise my DD's who are always telling me to go to a new hairdresser & update my do! Also what would the cost be?

Any feedback would be welcomed & appreciated!

The Salon offers hair cuts and I have had mine cut while onboard. They did a great job on a Man's haircut...and I saw them cutting and styling women's hair while I was getting mine done.

Now go get that new DO.....and surprise us all!!! :D

I had a haircut on the Pearl in March (no time prior to cruise to go to salon). While it was more of a trim than a new style, it was actually a better cut than my regular stylist did - it moved better, fell in place perfectly, and my bangs were the perfect length. The price wasn't too bad either! I must say I was pleasantly surprised! While I would probably use them for a makeover cut, I am also not very high maintenance. If you decide to go for it, ask at the salon for the stylist with the most training in cuts and design. Talk to them about your concerns and if you decide to take a risk - it will always grow back!

Robin

I had my hair cut and colored on the Jewel in April. the cut was very good, even though it was much shorter than I'd requested. I think there may have been a bit of a language issue, but I was not unhappy with the result.

The color, however, was another story. She dyed my hair gray! I think she was going for an ash blonde instead of the yellow-blonde that I normally do, but it DID NOT work! She was able to fix it and it turned out fine, but you can imagine my surprise when I looked in the mirror and saw gray when I don't even have any natural gray yet. :-)

Thanks for the help! I think I will probably, definitely (see, I told you I wasn't brave!) get it done:rolleyes:! I'll stay away from the color, though...I've got my own gray, thank you very much...and I won't be paying for extra!!

I had a haircut on the Sun last year. I'd been away from home for almost four weeks by the time that the cruise started, the previous haircut had been relatively gentle because of an event that I had to go to and look good at, and so it was definitely time for another haircut.

The person who cut my hair was OK, but I wouldn't place any confidence in him to do anything other than what I needed - a trim and tidy-up. He also nicked my ear. Accidents like that will sometimes happen, but his attitude afterwards was pretty mediocre. I did get a more fulsome apology later from the spa manager, though.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend trying to get anything special done. That's best saved for a hairdresser at home who you know and trust.

I get my hair cut all the time on the ships. That is my excuse to go on a cruise. I do a little research on board first. I ask the female crew who they think the best stylist is. I ask the spa manager who cuts the Captain's hair. I request the person whose name came up the most.

Go for it!

Oh, the 18% tip is added to the final price.

coka

I had my hair cut on the Sun during the course of a 17-day Panama Canal cruise. (in fact, it was during the all-day cruise thru the canal) The humidity had turned my hair to a mess! I had to do something. The stylist gave me a very cute new *do* that I was thrilled with. When I went back to compliment her later in the cruise, she said they are all trained in Europe and had a different aspect on haircutting. (not sure what that meant, but I was happy with it) I also love their products. I try to buy some each cruise.

~d

Go for it !! ! !! This is the only place I get my hair cut. I had a complete make over while on Dawn a few years back. I go for it every time I cruise.

( I cruise a couple times a year) Looking forward to my next appointment in two weeks on Dawn. It is the best feeling in the world. I love it. Color cut and make up

Your question made me grin. On our very 1st cruise (June '02) on the Sun...I got on the ship and took a look at my hair and knew I had to get help! I had just had my hair cut and colored 2 days before the cruise at home and it looked horrible.

The stylist's name was "Damon" and she was from England. It was absolutely the best cut and color I've ever had. She was even so kind as to draw a diagram of the cut and write out a detailed list of the colors she used so I could try to have it duplicated when I got home. I heard she eventually left the Sun to go with Orient.

I still have the written instructions tucked away in my jewelry box...and hope that someday I'll be lucky enough to walk into a ship's salon and see her!

Thanks for the memories!

Go for it !! ! !! This is the only place I get my hair cut. I had a complete make over while on Dawn a few years back. I go for it every time I cruise.

( I cruise a couple times a year) Looking forward to my next appointment in two weeks on Dawn. It is the best feeling in the world. I love it. Color cut and make up

They do make up??

I love having my hair cut and highlighted on a ship, and it costs no more than back at home. And back at home, I'm not sitting in a salon chair with a floor to ceiling view of the sea!

I didn't get my hair done on our past cruise to Alaska and am still regretting it. That has always been my treat to myself.

You have all been SO helpful! I have the confidence to have it done right now....I hope this post won't expire before I go so I can read it at the last minute:D! We're 30 minutes from the pier, so I can rush on board & make an appointment before I lose my nerve:eek:. I'll let you know....

Hi,

I've used the salon exclusively for getting my hair done usually 3 times while on each cruise. Have never been disappointed. I usually make a run over to make my appts. as soon as we get on board. I've found that you are remembered if you make multiple appts. and in the past I got some "extras" thrown in. Also remember that they offer port specials. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to get a cut as I am quite fussy...

However, I make sure my husband and son head over for cuts. Each cruise they've done a great job. Cost for men and women were similar to what we pay at home. Actually for women it was less expensive. This was our experience on Celebrity.

My daughters and I love going to the spa too. Enjoy!

Archived