TIPPING baggage porters in FT LAUDERDALE not necessary

I am writing with hopes that someone from the Century Oct 16th sailing with an extra piece of luggage reads this post. I just got off the Century this morning and had to leave without my garment bag. I'm not sure if it was left on the ship or if someone accidentally picked it up in the terminal when disembarking. If you happen to have it, I would be forever grateful if you please contact me at luli1015@aol.com.

Has anyone ever lost luggage and had it returned? If returned, how long did it take to get it back? This is the first time it happens to me and am crossing my fingers (and everything else I can cross) hoping it turns up.

Do you think she forgot to TIP the PORTERS:eek:

I am writing with hopes that someone from the Century Oct 16th sailing with an extra piece of luggage reads this post. I just got off the Century this morning and had to leave without my garment bag. I'm not sure if it was left on the ship or if someone accidentally picked it up in the terminal when disembarking. If you happen to have it, I would be forever grateful if you please contact me at luli1015@aol.com.

Has anyone ever lost luggage and had it returned? If returned, how long did it take to get it back? This is the first time it happens to me and am crossing my fingers (and everything else I can cross) hoping it turns up.

Do you think she forgot to TIP the PORTERS:eek:

This happend on our last cruise! We were just about the last people off the ship because we are lazy and didn't start packing our carry off until 8am. So anyway since we were in a Suite we were the first to be able to get off of the ship. We got to our luggage section and all of our luggage was there except for our garment bag. There was one other garment bag there but it certainly wasn't ours. So my DH called the number on the tag and asked the person if they had our garment bag because we have theirs. Lucky for us they had their cell phone and answered and were driving home, and were nice enough to come back to the port because my DH's only surviving suit was in there (he never wears suits and only owns two at once). I dropped the one suit off at the cleaners a week before the cruise and they lost the pants for it, so he only had one, the one in the garment bag, and he was leaving for a business meeting later that night. PHEW, that was so close! If it ever happens again just look for other similar luggage when the terminal is empty and call the numbers on the tags. You might get lucky!

I do not know if you folks are joking. If not, I am getting scared. People do purposely misplace or misdirect your luggage because you did not tip them?

You pay "insurance" just to make sure they do their job? If you do not bribe them, they will be dishonest?

Just today I heard another praise of the American service cultur. If it only works this way, I can live without, thank you very much.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Elaine were flying and Elaine refused to pay the skycap more than $1.00 a bag? He put two of the suitcases for their flight and another on a plane to Hawaii.

then it was elaines fault and the fault of every traveler that doesnt look at the baggage tag stubs to make sure then and there that your bags havent been misrouted

i once checked in at the ticket desk and was talking to the person in front of me who was flying to detroit --so was i but i was making a connection to nyc--lthe ticket agent assumed we were together because we were talking to each other and the first part of both tickets said detroit------so while i was making my connection in detroit my bag was being off loaded in detroit --then you have to wait for your bag in the baggage area because you dont know its not there-then you have to stand on line to talk to the missing baggage clerk and my bag was delivered to my home later that nite-------------since that event i always make sure that the tags are proper and i also make sure when i give my credit card for a purchase that i get the right one back--------but thats a different story

So it's basically extortion money. I'm so glad we have such honest people handling our baggage. I'm sure there are plenty of honest people looking for work who would be glad to work for salary only. Maybe if more of us refused to tip we could do away with that ridiculous custom. Employers pay a fair wage and tax cheating is minimized.

It used to be tipping was for exceptional service and now it is expected no matter what plus it's "tip me first and then I'll decide what kind of service to give".

When we boarded in San Juan last year they had a box or bucket (can't really remember) but you just dropped the money in there (I guess at night they disbursed it). So why not just drop a folded up dollar bill in the box and be on your way. I personally would give them the correct tip but if u don't want too then just drop in a stinking dollar *lol* in the box and move on. I think if you don't drop anything in there that is when the stories you hear of of "lost or misplaced luggage" comes out. Everyone enjoy your cruise and remember it's a cruise we are not suppose to stress over 3 bucks *lol* (Just joking that three bucks both ways adds up to $6.00 and $6.00 = 1 drink well off the boat at least *lol*)

Regardless if it is a dollar or 100 dollars......If the employee of the Port Authority is a Long Shoreman member and he is assigned to handle this luggage......that is their job for which they are paid very good money.

If it is true (would be hard to find out) that they do not treat all the luggage the same way (depending on tipping)..... the tip is for sure an extortion money. Shame on them and shame on us for promoting that (I am quilty of that too because I tipped them in the past).

They do not allow the crew of the ship to handle the luggage (when in port)because they want to protect their job .....so why not to do their job the correct way (that is what they were hired for and what they wanted to do) and what they are being paid for. IMO a true Long Shoreman member would refuse any tip.

Wes

I tip anyone that handles my baggage or packages. There are several signs at Publix telling you not to tip the baggers, but I always give them a dollar for loading my groceries in the back of the car. When I have two carts (during the holidays) I give them $3.00.

I tip anyone that handles my baggage or packages. There are several signs at Publix telling you not to tip the baggers, but I always give them a dollar for loading my groceries in the back of the car. When I have two carts (during the holidays) I give them $3.00.

Gee, I never even thought to do that. Several of the baggers here in Punta Gorda, Fl, have gone through tough times because of the hurricane (two of them are homeless - living with family). One of the men is in his 80s (doesn't look it), and is a newly wed! Maybe something for Christmas. Thanks for giving me the thought!

I have entered into this tipping debate before and, being Australian, I have a slightly different experience with tipping and the culture surrounding it to most people from North America. So let's let that one lie..... here's my serious question though, I would really like an answer please:

If my husband wants to carry our bags from a cab or a bus to the checkin counter at the airport (as happens here in Aus or happens in Asia if you make clear that is your intention) then is that OK? He's a very big strong guy, and we dont' really even feel comfortable with someone else carrying our stuff for us, let alone any financial considerations. What is going to happen if you get you luggage out of the car boot and someone at the airport in America approaches you to carry your bags and you say 'no thanks, I'll do it?'. Like, does ANYONE do that over there, or is it just totally expected that nobody carries their own luggage?

(this is not a question about at the cruise terminal, obviously they have to load your luggage into special containers, I am asking about airports, from the kerb to the checkin counter).

If my husband wants to carry our bags from a cab or a bus to the checkin counter at the airport (as happens here in Aus or happens in Asia if you make clear that is your intention) then is that OK?
Absolutely OK. Porters at the airports in the US are strictly optional. We always carry our own bags in and have never felt any pressure to give them to a porter.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='wieslaw']IMO a true Long Shoreman member would refuse any tip.
Wes[/QUOTE]

They are longshoremen; btw, they have one of the most dangerous jobs anywhere.

We tip $10 to $20 each way for our luggage; on the way out they are very helpful avoiding the crowds and getting you a cab. They deserve the tip for their service.

They deserve it; just remember, "Everyone needs to make theirs". Money is like fertilizer, only good when its spread.

Interesting thread...In Vancouver this summersailing on "Radiance of the Seas", our limo driver backed right up to the baggage tent and everything was put straight from his trunk into a baggage rack by a terminal employee. Only had to tip our limo driver. As soon as it was reasonably full, off it was taken into the bowels of the building and somehow magically made it to our cabins BEFORE the muster drill. We had went to the buffet and the luggage handlers on board set it by your door and our steward team lined up our bags next to the bed. One of the two came back by and asked if we required any more hangers or if we needed wine glasses for our bottles of wine we brought on board. He had also put our champagne in a larger ice bucket than was in the room. It was nice and chilled for the sailaway on our balcony. We had sailed before but our friends hadn't so I gave them $20 and asked them to make sure our friends in the next cabin had their "best service". Our friends sure had outstanding service and so did we. San Pedro,CA...porters expected tips and were quite a motley looking group. They practically removed your luggage out of whatever conveyance brought you there and had it on a cart and headed for the door even before you had paid of your driver. I had to practically run after him to get my carryon bag. Not sure now with the new terminal at Long Beach.

• 4 weeks later...
What a bunch of cheapskates. The kind of people who dont like to tip are the kind of people who dont know what its like to do heavy, real work for a living. I myself sit at a desk now but I remember what it was like working for airborne express or working retail on my feet all day. The best tippers are usually hairdressers and waiters. Many moons ago when my mom used to have a hair salon as a side business she used to always say, Im happy to see the waitresses and the street walkers and could care less if I ever see a state worker :D Heh Im a city worker but Im a great tipper

• 2 weeks later...
Lets see just to get to the ship I need to tip the skycap who takes my luggage at my home airport and then the skycap at the Fll airport (if I can find them)..then the cab driver to the dock..the porter at the dock..plus my cab stewart..all to make sure my bags make it to my cabin!!!!! hummm that another 10 bucks..I am not cheap but..... :eek:

[quote name='Nitemare']It's NEVER "necessary" to tip, but if someone helps me with my bag and is reasonably courteous about it, I'm gonna tip him anyway, regardless of what rumors say they make in a year.[/QUOTE]

We also saw the signs saying no tipping. There must be a reason for the signs otherwise why put them up???? HOWEVER We did notice better service when you did tip.

• 3 months later...
I look at tipping as paying somebody to do something I don't want to do. I know these people get paid, but everybody get's paid for their job. The question is, are they willing to take a job that I would rather not do???

When I go out to dinner, i Figure that somebody had to plan the meal, somebody did the shopping, toted all those groceries in, chopped, sliced, diced and sauted, brought it to my table, put up with my hub's mood (good or bad) and schlepped the dishes away - I got the night off.

Tip - you bet. How much - that depends on their attitude and the service. If they act like tipping is expected for a minimal effort the amount of my tip reflects it.

I weigh 115 pounds - I don't want to schlepp my bags. I am old - I don't want to schlepp my bags. But I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do, and I don't reward sullen attitudes.

Tipping in advance for insurance - yup - I'll try it. If the insurance doesn't pay off I gripe.

Basically, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Could be they've had a bad day too.

Gosh, this thread has been both funny and eye-opening.

I am one who tips people who "do something" for me well, depending on their service, of course. I definitely see the value in doing it- after all, they're handling my stuff and my stuff being carried by someone else is considered worthy of a tip.

Hey, I dont think twice about giving the Chinese Food guy a $3.00 tip for my $15 order when he just drove his car a few blocks, why wouldn't I tip these guys the same way, after all, they're physically working, carrying, moving and getting stuff done, so that we can have an enjoyable vacation :)

:D

Archived