For those who wear suits on formal nights

butterfliesfly

DH has lived in Florida so long he doesn't even own a suit anymore, but has several nice sports jackets. Around here that's considered dressy. So when he started cruising he found it easiest to just buy a new tux.

Glad to hear so many complimentary comments about Sarasota. I first bought a condo on Siesta Key in 1985, moved here permanently in '90 and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. This town has everything.

Formal attire for me IS a Tux. In today's day and age a dark suit (blue/black) substitutes. A sports jacket and slacks is for Informal (no longer on HAL). Yes it is true that you see all sorts of things on "formal" night, but the question is, what is appropriate?

I guess another interesting question would be, what would the men say if their partner came into the dining room on a formal night wearing clothing that "matched" their dressed down formal?

Formal attire for me IS a Tux. In today's day and age a dark suit (blue/black) substitutes. A sports jacket and slacks is for Informal (no longer on HAL). Yes it is true that you see all sorts of things on "formal" night, but the question is, what is appropriate?

I guess another interesting question would be, what would the men say if their partner came into the dining room on a formal night wearing clothing that "matched" their dressed down formal?

:)

I still often wear slacks and sports jacket on Smart Casual Nights!!!! :D

On formal nights I wear either my Tuxedo or a Neru Tux and clericals. Sometimes I just wear my best black suit and clericals. It all depends upon the length of the cruise and the number of formal night.

What happened to elegant casual? Is this the new formal?

Not formal; the description for formal hasn't changed. "Elegant casual" is now called "Smart casual".

Unfortunately, too many people forget the "smart" part of the term, and dress in more "come as you are" casual. :(

Not formal; the description for formal hasn't changed. "Elegant casual" is now called "Smart casual".

Unfortunately, too many people forget the "smart" part of the term, and dress in more "come as you are" casual. :(

Or is that "Casually challenged"?:D

The dress code on the HAL website says that a jacket with tie is suitable for formal night...A suit or tuxedo are not required...It is not difficult to know what is "appropriate" for formal nights on HAL...Just read the dress code!

Archived