For those who wear suits on formal nights

butterfliesfly

I've seen a little bit of everything on cruises. My husband & I love to dress up, and he usually wears a dark suit. But, I've seen people with sports jackets on and no tie on formal night. So, I really wouldn't worry about it. Some don't like it, but I say wear what's comfortable for you.

I wear a black suit, black suspenders and white shirt. I'd like to wear a black tie with it, but my wife thinks thats too much black. She makes me wear either a red or yellow tie with it.

Where did you find the awesome picture of Rev Neal?:D :D :D

Rich :cool: :cool:

Is that what he looked like in his rowdy college days?

When one wears a black suit for formal night what kind of tie? A black or black and white stripe? Or a more colorful choice?

It's been a very long time (several years, at least) since I last wore a tie (other than a bow tie). I'm not even sure I remember how to tie 'em! Clerics are so much easier. ;) HOWEVER, when I've worn a black suit and a white dress shirt on a cruise I usually wear a dark blue or dark purple tie.

When one wears a black suit for formal night what kind of tie? A black or black and white stripe? Or a more colorful choice?

Here are some possiblities a black-red, a retro art deco, a classic B&W stripe

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v169/TMWeddle/TMW%20Misc/?action=view&current=P1020704.jpg

There are a lot of different colors that you could wear. My husband has a red one, blue one and also a green one that all look great with his black suit.

I'm attaching an example but blacking out the faces to protect the innocent :p

tie.jpg.5f54c238fb6c4c53767363ecb054d931.jpg

One of the great things about HA is that maintain the old formal traditions of cruising.

If you want to wear jeans to dinner there are other lines to book with.

But you spoil the ambience for others by not participating in the formal dress code.

Rent a tux if you have to. But if you are going to do future cruises, why not invest in buying a tux.

A black suit with a white shirt will pass muster if you are too cheap to get the right suite.

I notice you never see women trying to weasle out of dressing up on cruises. Guys get with the program.

Here are some possiblities a black-red, a retro art deco, a classic B&W stripe

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v169/TMWeddle/TMW%20Misc/?action=view&current=P1020704.jpg

Any one of those three will be fine! Enjoy your cruise!

Had a dark gray suit which pretty much took care of all my "suit wearing event needs" Which are pretty much weddings funerals and formal nights.

Recently retired it and bought a black one which I intend to wear a white shirt and a variety of colored ties depending on the occasion.

WE went out and bought a very dark grey suit with blue pinstripe (looks great!). Got home and discovered his white shirts don't fit now either. I love that he's working out, but it's gonna cost us a small fortune to keep him dressed up! ;)

Thanks for all the advice all! We sail in 19 days!

WE went out and bought a very dark grey suit with blue pinstripe (looks great!). Got home and discovered his white shirts don't fit now either. I love that he's working out, but it's gonna cost us a small fortune to keep him dressed up! ;)

Thanks for all the advice all! We sail in 19 days!

Lost quite a bit of weight a few years back and had buy EVERYTHING. :)

Yea it cost a fortune but it was a nice feeling :)

DH doesn't own a tux

:eek: NO TUX? :eek: A man after my own heart!!

I have two suits, both black... I take one suit and mix and match a few different color shirts and ties. It always works for me.

:eek: NO TUX? :eek: A man after my own heart!!

I have two suits, both black... I take one suit and mix and match a few different color shirts and ties. It always works for me.

One of my sisters made a specific album just out of pictures of my parents dressed to go out (weddings, new years, parties etc) They were quite the social butterflies so there are a lot of them.

I will say the pics date from the mid 60s until my dad passed in 1984.

My mother covers the gamut of fashions from all those years (not to mention hair colors :)) along side her in everyone of those pics is my dad in a black suit , white shirt, black tie.

As my sister says "He was a timeless classic" *LOL*

One of my sisters made a specific album just out of pictures of my parents dressed to go out (weddings, new years, parties etc) They were quite the social butterflies so there are a lot of them.

I will say the pics date from the mid 60s until my dad passed in 1984.

My mother covers the gamut of fashions from all those years (not to mention hair colors :)) along side her in everyone of those pics is my dad in a black suit , white shirt, black tie.As my sister says "He was a timeless classic" *LOL*[/

QUOTE]

"Yeah,! And a choker around the neck!:eek:

How come!!!

ALL cruise lines keep the temp. down for women in "off the shoulder gowns" to be comfortable, and the guys are supposed to be clad heavily and have a choker around the neck?:confused:

I think it's a conspirasy.(sp?):cool:

Dude, that looks like a Chevy Vega! Don't you have one with an AMC Pacer from that time?

OMG!!!! We actually HAD a Pacer!:eek: Remember all the AMC cars had those flat door handles?? We had a Corvierre (sp) too!:rolleyes:

My sister had a Gremlin:rolleyes:

Our next door neighbors growing up were real trendsetters

He drove a Volkswagen "Thing" . It was this crappy orange color.

She had a Pepto Bismal pink Ford Pinto with the flowered "Landau" roof .

Were the 70s the "Take a break from good taste" decade ? *LOL*

We received our travel pkg. from HAL for our cruise on the Noordam in a few weeks. With other HAL cruises there was always info. on number of formal nights, elegant casual, and casual. With this cruise, there is no mention of the number of formal nights and no mention what so ever of "elegant casual."

What happened to elegant casual? Is this the new formal?

I think a dark suit on formal nights is acceptable. Light color suits, sports jackets, "pleather" - if you must, all fall into elegant casual or casual style of dress.

I know there is a lot of joking on these boards; that's fun and refreshing. But the reality is, I choose HAL because I want a more traditional style of cruising. Let's keep those formal nights by wearing appropriate attire...a Tux or dark suit.

One of the great things about HA is that maintain the old formal traditions of cruising.

But you spoil the ambiance for others by not participating in the formal dress code.

Rent a tux if you have to. But if you are going to do future cruises, why not invest in buying a tux.

A black suit with a white shirt will pass muster if you are too cheap to get the right suite.

I got news for you my Black suit probably cost more than the Tux you wear!!!:eek: As far a black suit barely passing muster, wear does any dress code state that!! I bet you are the first to complain to the DR manager on formal nights about what you perceive as dress code violations:p

We received our travel pkg. from HAL for our cruise on the Noordam in a few weeks. With other HAL cruises there was always info. on number of formal nights, elegant casual, and casual. With this cruise, there is no mention of the number of formal nights and no mention what so ever of "elegant casual."

What happened to elegant casual? Is this the new formal?

I think a dark suit on formal nights is acceptable. Light color suits, sports jackets, "pleather" - if you must, all fall into elegant casual or casual style of dress.

I know there is a lot of joking on these boards; that's fun and refreshing. But the reality is, I choose HAL because I want a more traditional style of cruising. Let's keep those formal nights by wearing appropriate attire...a Tux or dark suit.

HAL only has two dress code categories, Formal and Smart Casual, they dropped the Elegant casual or informal some time ago.

Archived