Do we need anti malaria pills?

ARANDA

We will be travelling on the Legend 28th September:D I am trying to find out if we need to take anti malaria pills. We will probably just stay near the ports and maybe do the island tour of Roatan, as this is a totally chill out vacation and we don't want to be tied to times for excursions.I have done searches to see if we need anti malaria pills, but am very confused as some sites say yes and others no. What do you do?:confused:

We will be travelling on the Legend 28th September:D I am trying to find out if we need to take anti malaria pills. We will probably just stay near the ports and maybe do the island tour of Roatan, as this is a totally chill out vacation and we don't want to be tied to times for excursions.I have done searches to see if we need anti malaria pills, but am very confused as some sites say yes and others no. What do you do?:confused:

I would call my doctor...

Welcome to cruise critic. We just take some deep woods off with us. It comes in many forms now days, from wipes to aerosol cans to pump sprayers.

If they were needed or suggested, it would be on Carnival's website. Keep in mind the thousands and thousands of cruise ship passengers that visit that area each week. If there was a problem with malaria, it would be on the news.

If you want to check up on these type things, the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website posts travel advisories for countries all over the world. Here is the link:

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/

Only if you were staying in Roatan for like a week. The anti-malaria pills have a lot of potential side effects. Off spray will be sufficient. We went on a Panama Canal cruise for 10 days and we were fine. Our Doctor would have wrote a script, but he didn't think we needed it. Your not really exposed. You are only doing a day tour.

Kristin

I agree with the other posters, speak to your doctor about your concerns. Any medical conditions you or loved ones may have can impact your choices.

I don't know how to add a link but if you go to cdc.gov and go to the travelers section, there is great information in there about vaccinations suggested for different countries. It also has helpful information about any outbreaks of disease and personal safety. You can choose individual countries on the drop down feature.

Enjoy your cruise!

This is the info from the state dept. about Honduras:

OTHER HEALTH INFORMATION: Mosquito-borne illnesses are an ongoing problem in Honduras. All persons traveling in Honduras, even for a brief visit, are at risk of contracting malaria. Take a prophylactic regimen best suited to your health profile. The country regularly suffers from outbreaks of dengue fever. Unlike traditional mosquito-borne illnesses, there is no medicinal prophylactic or curative regimen for dengue fever. Travelers should take precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes to reduce the chance of contracting such illnesses, such as avoiding standing water even in the home, wearing long sleeves and pants in both day and night, and applying insect repellent regularly.

Severe air pollution, which can aggravate or lead to respiratory problems, is common throughout the country during the dry season due in large part to widespread forest fires and agricultural burning. Travelers with respiratory or cardiac conditions and those who are elderly or extremely young are at greatest risk for complications from air pollution, which may include coughing, difficulty breathing, wheezing, or chest pain. Acute respiratory infections are also widespread; more than 100,000 cases are reported annually.

Individuals traveling to Honduras should ensure that all their routine vaccinations are up to date. Vaccination against Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Typhoid is strongly recommended for those traveling to Honduras from the United States. Honduras requires vaccination against Yellow Fever for those traveling to Honduras from countries where there is the risk of transmission. Travelers taking prescription medications should bring an adequate supply with them when coming to Honduras and ensure that they are properly labeled.

Honduras also has the highest adult HIV/AIDS prevalence rate in the region. Over 63,000 people in Honduras have HIV/AIDS.

Honduras lacks a substantial infrastructure for maintaining water purity. Travelers are strongly encouraged to avoid drinking tap water or a beverage that contains ice from an unknown source (even alcoholic drinks). Bottles and bags of purified water are widely available. It is also recommended that individuals traveling to Honduras avoid eating untreated raw vegetables, fruits that can’t be peeled on the spot, raw fish like ceviche and undercooked shellfish and products containing mayonnaise, pastry icing, and unpasteurized dairy products. Hot cooked food, fresh bread, dry foods such as crackers, bottled carbonated beverages, coffee, tea, and beer are usually safe, provided such food items are not purchased from street vendors. All fruits and vegetables should be washed thoroughly with detergent and running water. Those that will be cooked or peeled can then be stored in a sealed container until used. Those that will be eaten raw and will not be peeled should be soaked for 15 minutes in a solution of chlorine bleach (or 5% household bleach) in water (one tablespoon of Clorox per gallon of water), rinsed with potable water, and allowed to air dry.

Information on vaccinations and other health precautions, such as safe food and water precautions and insect bite protection, may be obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s hotline for international travelers at 1-877-FYI-TRIP (1-877-394-8747); fax 1-888-CDC-FAXX (1-888-232-3299), or via the CDC’s web site at http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx. For information about outbreaks of infectious diseases abroad consult the World Health Organization’s web site at http://www.who.int/en. Further health information for travelers is available at http://www.who.int/ith.

When my doc found out I was leaving for Belize and Roatan in a week, he wanted my butt in for shots and pills. I think you're supposed to start taking them 10 days before the trip. I got pills and shots for malaria, yellow fever, and I don't know what all. I had to take pills every day during the cruise and about 10 days after I got home.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't necessary, but I guess you can't be too safe. We did do cave tubing in Belize and there were LOTS of mosquitos. Take Deet with you if you will be hiking or cave tubing in Belize.

We have been all over the Caribbean and Central America and have never run into a government warning about malaria or other mosquito borne diseases. The cruise lines are not going to take you to places where there is a possibilty of contracting serious illness such as malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever etc. without warning you first!!

For the first time in all our cruising in this part of the world we have been told by Holland America that we will not be allowed to board the ship without our Visa and Yellow Fever innoculation card. We are going to the Amazon River next month.

I suggest that you go to what we call here a "travel doc". These are doctors that specialize in providing medical advice and vaccinations for all kinds of nasty bugs that are prevalent all over the world. They are up-to-date daily about outbreaks, what is needed and what is not, anywhere in the world at any given time. For Brazil we require...Yellow Fever, TwinRix (hepatitus), Cholera and Tetanus shots. Asked about malaria...no need...besides it is only about 60% effective...has some nasty long term side effects....and bug spray works just as well!

BUT...check with your doctor ...especially if you have ANY kind of chronic illness or have had serious medical problems in the recent past.

What I have outlined here is OUR experience only...it may be complete different for you.

Thank you all for the replies. We've done the Eastern Caribbean and Cozumel before but never Roatan and since everyone says it's so beautifule we definitely want to take a tour, probably the East of the island one that Carnival offer. I think we'll get some 50% Deet wipes as they keep most things away----and I like the Gin and Tonic suggestion---no problem with that!

We just did this cruise in May on the Legend.

(family of four)

This was our 3rd time back to Belize....and we have never taken anything.

Best as I understand it, the "dangerous critters" feed at dawn and dusk...and we were never "in the woods" during that time.

Hubby and oldest son did the cave tubing in Belize....which requires a hike through the woods....they did not even use bug spray. BUT this was in May which is the dry season.

In Roatan, oldest son and I grabbed a taxi (while hubby and youngest son did the Sea Spi) and walked around West End.

I would simply apply Deet and enjoy the cruise.

Archived