~~~HELP! Midship Or Aft Balcony???~~~

Skyev21

Help! I need help in deciding which cabin to select!

We are currently booked on Carnival's Destiny for Dec, in a midship, Verandah Deck cabin. But was offered to move to the aft 2 decks lower.

Would anyone choose the aft over midship? Why?

I've always wanted to have the best view and least motion possible.

Never been midship or on the aft in a balcony, so I'd like to know all the pros & cons before I decide. And or any pics too!

What's your experiences like on either of these cabins? Love to hear them.

Thanks for sharing.

Bon Voyage!

If the aft cabin is at the very back facing the rear then I would change in a heartbeat! DH and I love the rear facing and wrap aft balconies. You get a wonderful view and it is so quiet. If it is located in the side of the ship I would stay where you are. JMHO.

So, should I stay (midship) or move to the aft? It's (unfortunately) not a wrap balcony but when I about to switch to the aft, the Carnival Rep. said to stay due to the motion. But I've always heard about the scenery in the aft & less motion in midship. So, I'm more confused now. It's our 1st time in a balcony so I'd like to have the best option.

Thanks for your help!

So, should I stay (midship) or move to the aft? It's (unfortunately) not a wrap balcony but when I about to switch to the aft, the Carnival Rep. said to stay due to the motion. But I've always heard about the scenery in the aft & less motion in midship. So, I'm more confused now. It's our 1st time in a balcony so I'd like to have the best option.

Thanks for your help!

I would go for the aft...can't beat the scenery...We had aft wrap on Upper deck and loved it. The motion wasn't that bad, but then we didn't have bad seas either.

I would go for the aft...can't beat the scenery...We had aft wrap on Upper deck and loved it. The motion wasn't that bad, but then we didn't have bad seas either.

It's the cabin next to the wrap, on the Upper deck.

I really want as much privacy as possible but was scared off when the Carnival Rep advised me that I'll feel the rocking much more at the aft so stay midship.

But I keep thinking about it & it's still available so don't know what's the better option.

What about the slant on the aft? Can decks above see us if we're sitting on the balcony?

I want as much privacy as I can get.

Thanks!:D

It's the cabin next to the wrap, on the Upper deck.

I really want as much privacy as possible but was scared off when the Carnival Rep advised me that I'll feel the rocking much more at the aft so stay midship.

But I keep thinking about it & it's still available so don't know what's the better option.

What about the slant on the aft? Can decks above see us if we're sitting on the balcony?

I want as much privacy as I can get.

Thanks!:D

They can see you if u r standing at the rail. You will feel the rocking back there, not bad tho, kind of like be rocked to sleep. I never had a balcony on the side, but the view from aft is awesome.

I've tried to post pictures, but couldn't get it so I've tried to copy pictures I put in another thread (DD did this for me). Hopefully it will work. It should answer your question about privacy.

It worked, just scroll down to pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=661312&highlight=DOTTE

I can't say which is better cuz there are pro's & con's with the aft. More motion in aft than midship but it isn't bad. I like the rocking motion so I'm fine with that. Aft has Less hallway traffic but its further from other activities especially if they are at the bow. Balcony is larger (about 2' extra depth). They can't see you from above if you are sitting in your chairs but they can see you if you are at the railing. The balcony is noisy in the aft cuz you really hear the water from the wake and its loud to me. Side balconies are typically more quiet. BUT THE VIEW IS TO DIE FOR!

1000692_itA_035sml.jpg.28b9f3f32bf7fa32a787cca5e05264b7.jpg

1000685_itA_040sml.jpg.f9e29d75256514ce80159c4cb32f39c0.jpg

I would book an aft in a heartbeat. We have sailed in an aft the last 4 cruises and I never really felt anymore motion then I did on the side balconies. The thing I didn't like about the side balconies was it is so windy and you don't have that on the aft. Just my opinion but have another aft booked for our Med cruise next Oct. Linda

We have done 4 midship balconies and 1 wrap-aft and our next 2 cruises are wrap-afts. I wouldn't give it up for the world. It's the best of both worlds (balconies). Plus, don't forget to join the balcony club.

Linda

We have done 4 midship balconies and 1 wrap-aft and our next 2 cruises are wrap-afts. I wouldn't give it up for the world. It's the best of both worlds (balconies). Plus, don't forget to join the balcony club.

Linda

I'm on the phone now changing it for the aft! I've made up my mind! Sounds AWESOME!!!

So, thanks for everyone's advice!

Linda, What is the 'balcony club'? I wanna join! lol! Thanks again.:D

I can't say which is better cuz there are pro's & con's with the aft. More motion in aft than midship but it isn't bad. I like the rocking motion so I'm fine with that. Aft has Less hallway traffic but its further from other activities especially if they are at the bow. Balcony is larger (about 2' extra depth). They can't see you from above if you are sitting in your chairs but they can see you if you are at the railing. The balcony is noisy in the aft cuz you really hear the water from the wake and its loud to me. Side balconies are typically more quiet. BUT THE VIEW IS TO DIE FOR!

Great pics! Thanks for your advice & shots!

P.S. Just switched to the aft! I'm soooo excited! Cant wait!:D

You hafta be a cruise critic member for more than 7 years and have over 4000 posts to be allowed to book an aft balcony!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Thems the rules.:p

Just kidding.:D

Dan

LMAO!!!

Well, excuuuse me! I'm almost there! lol!

I'm tryin' Dan! Gimme a sec to catch up to you!!! lol! Hater!

What's the balcony club, you ask? Have you ever heard of the mile high club? Whoooo hooooo!

Oh s**t! LMAO!!!! OMG! Duh, how could I NOT know that? lol!:D ;)

Promise to be a dedicated member, for sure! Woooo-weeee!... Feel sorry for my neighbors tho! lol!

T:D oo funny!... but true! Love it!

Thanks for your help!

We had an aft balcony on Costa Magica. While the balcony was bigger I got tired of seeing where we had been. You do get a 180 degree view which was cool. We have a midship balcony on our cruise in October and I am looking forward to it.

We have had midship cat. 11 balconies 3 times and thought that was the way to go. Then this last cruise, we had our first aft wrap. I doubt we'll ever go back to midship now! We actually found the aft location to be more convenient to the dining room (assuming you're in the aft dining room) and Lido (ice cream machine and pizza!). Those are the two places we frequent most, so that makes aft a better location for us....less walking. DH has bad knees, so less walking for him is a good thing. We love the view from the aft, and as someone else said, the wind is not a factor. Sometimes on the sides, the wind is so bad that I can't fully enjoy sitting on the balcony. Never a problem with an aft balcony. I can't say whether not the aft location provides a rockier ride, but there is some bouncy type motion back there. Kind of like driving down a rough road. However, it did not bother us in the least. I am prone to seasickness and never had a problem on the cruise in the aft wrap. HOWEVER, the seas were mostly smooth, so we can't really go by that. Still, I will always try to get an aft wrap on future cruises. I'm in love! LOL! :o

I'm probably NOT in the majority here....but I like the midship...or side balconies better! Have done the aft...and didn't like two things, 1. Not seeing where I was going...and 2. Having my neighbors stand right next to me...face to face all the time. Sometimes I don't want to say, "Hi, how are you doing, how's your day, what did y'all do today, what are y'all doing tonight, what did you think about...etc. etc. etc. Sometimes...I just like to sit on the balcony and watch the world go by!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm probably NOT in the majority here....but I like the midship...or side balconies better! Have done the aft...and didn't like two things, 1. Not seeing where I was going...and 2. Having my neighbors stand right next to me...face to face all the time. Sometimes I don't want to say, "Hi, how are you doing, how's your day, what did y'all do today, what are y'all doing tonight, what did you think about...etc. etc. etc. Sometimes...I just like to sit on the balcony and watch the world go by!

So can they see you if you're just sitting & relaxing? I definitely do not want someone peeking over the divider, just in case I'm not dressed!!!

What about having double the size of the balcony than others?

My main concern is the rocking! Last time we were 10 deck up, at the bow, front row. So we felt it & it drove me crazy! Woke up cuz my stomach went to my throat all night, like a roller coaster!

I've always heard about the aft cabins so wanted to give it a shot.

Heard about less noise, less traffic, amazing views, larger balcony, etc.

It just sucks waiting!!! lol!

But very excited!:p

1554406705_Aftpic.jpg.33015264e2d95782338917210295b2ea.jpg

Archived