embarkation time??

Batch007

This is our first cruise and we are sailing out of Long Beach at 4pm, Carnival site says we can embark any time after 1pm, but I have read on this site we can get on earlier (say 11) just no have our cabins ready - is that for anyone or just platinum guests?

Platinum passengers and passengers booked in suites have their own line at check-in and when boarding begins any who are checked in will be first to board. With that said the general boarding follows immediately behind so If you get to Long Beach by 11:00 am you will probably be walking on the ship at noon or a few minutes after.

I arrived at the port between 11-11:30am (even though the rep I booked with on the phone recommended 2pm), and there was already a line of people. After giving our luggage to someone who worked there, we were told by another employee we could get in line at that time (and wait for a good couple of hours) or walk around, then come back between 1 & 2. We went to the Queen Mary to kill some time, and we were in line and aboard the ship in less than an hour after getting in line. The line is long but it moves fast, so I had no complaints. I would have gotten there at 2pm, but after reading someone else mention they arrived just after 10am and there was a line, I thought it would be better to go sooner; it worked out fine.

I did see a shorter line for 'Platinum' guests; I'm assuming they could board early, but not anyone else before noon.

This is our first cruise and we are sailing out of Long Beach at 4pm, Carnival site says we can embark any time after 1pm, but I have read on this site we can get on earlier (say 11) just no have our cabins ready - is that for anyone or just platinum guests?

Until the previous cruise completely debarks and Customs and Immigrations (and Carnival) clears it (nominally around 12:30), no one enters the Dome. Prior to that time (as early as 9:00 or 9:30), three lines form: those who did "early check-in" (see below), those who didn't do early check-in and VIPs. The three lines are allowed into the Dome simultaneously and take three different paths through the Dome.

In order to speed things up and get a full day's work out of their check-in agents, Carnival maintains check-in counters in an aft compartment of Queen Mary that is reached through a separate entrance. These are open from about 9:00 until about 11:30 when the agents decamp to the counters in the Dome. During this time you can complete check-in and get your sign'n'sail card. The people who have completed early check-in bypass the line in the Dome for the check-in counters.

We've sailed out of Long Beach twice (Pride and Paradise) and have been on board both times before noon after doing the early check-in on the QM. The Long Beach port is easy and a very nice 'non-industrial' area. There are pics of the area in my signature under Pride and Paradise.

Archived