Need Opinions for Stateroom Selection Please

Abberboo

Hi guys,

I need some help. We are working with a certain budget for our cruise Christmas week. Our options are oceanview or inside (cant swing a balcony this time around) and I have these options held on Summit right now until tomorrow -

Inside room 9th level - midship

Inside room 8th level - midship

Oceanview 3rd level - midship

Oceanview 6th level - front of ship

Of all these options, what level do you feel the most movement if any? I have cruised many times and have never felt much movement no matter where I am but am not sure what to do.

Are any of the above options something I should lean away from? Do you feel more movement the higher up you are or the lower down you are?

Thx in advance guys.

You will feel more movement the higher up you are and the closer to the ends you are. It's much worse in the front of the ship. It doesn't ever bother me but for those who are sensitive to motion it's best to stay near the middle and lower. The third level oceanview would probably be best.

We had a balcony when we were on the Summit (she is a beauty!). However that was before we discovered inside cabins. We are fortunate in that we don't suffer from claustrophobia. But the Ding Ding Ding factor for us is that we sleep sooooo well in an inside.:D

We were on Vista on the Century and had no problems with movement.

If it were us, midship on Deck 8/Panorama would have us pullling out our credit card PDQ and saying, "Book it, Danno!" Cabins above and below would probably be more tranquil than having Resort Deck over you in a cabin on Sky.

Just our opinion...

We had a balcony when we were on the Summit (she is a beauty!) on Penthouse in 2003 and do not remember any significant movement that affected us. That was before we discovered inside cabins. We are fortunate in that we don't suffer from claustrophobia. But the Ding Ding Ding factor for us is that we sleep sooooo well in an inside.:D

If it were us, midship that inside on Deck 8/Panorama would have us pullling out our credit card PDQ and saying, "Book it, Danno!" We assume that having cabins above and below would probably be more tranquil than having Resort Deck over you if you were in a cabin on Sky.

Just our opinion...

Inside room 9th level - midship

Inside room 8th level - midship

Oceanview 3rd level - midship

Oceanview 6th level - front of ship

Thx in advance guys.

I, too, am not bothered by a cruise ship's movement (now crossing the Atlantic on a freighter that wasn't balasted was another story. We had to tuck ourselves in our bunks with pillows on either side and hope a book would keep our mind off the movement). And, since you've cruised many times, are we to believe that you are being considerate of a fellow passenger with whom you will share the cabin?

There are a couple of other factors you might want to consider. If you like being up high where it's only a hop, skip and jump to food, then take deck 9. If you like to be near services, choose deck 3 (also will be convenient for disembarking at ports), and access to both forward and midship elevators, and the restaurants.

Although the ride would be roughest on deck 6 looking out with the same view the captain has, those cabins are just slightly larger. But you'd be close to the forward elevator to go up to the spa.Or if you're in to walking, you'd be close to walk to the theater.

I've been on Summit twice & I loved her. Once on deck 3 in an inside to Alaska, and once on deck 6 in a balcony to Panama. Both cabins were the same size of course, and both were smooth rides, to me. The only rough place was leaving Ft Lauderdale (crossing the Gulf Stream?), although the crew said the W. Caribbean cruises were rougher than others.

Let us know what you pick, and why!

It's difficult to predict seas. I would say that you should just choose a cabin that you like and see how it is. I would stay in the middle or towards the back rather than the front of the ship.

I do think that many people who get seasick do so because they talk themselves into it. If you are constantly thinking about whether the ship is rocking or not you will certainly notice. If you just go on and enjoy yourself chances are you won't have a problem even when the seas get a little rough.

Many people take Bonine or Ginger tablets to guard against motion sickness.

I can not thank you all enough! This cruise is to the Southern Caribbean, so only one day at sea. I also am the same as most of you all have replied, the motion doesnt bother me, I am just being sensitive to my sister and mom who are completely new to cruising - this will be their first.

I have stayed in all kinds of rooms on varying levels of the ship and have a great time no matter what.

Ma Bell, I agree third makes the most sense but my mom is scared to be so close to the water level from pictures we have seen, so since my post this morning, we have ruled lower oceanview rooms that are mid level out due to her not feeling comfortable with being close to the water level.

Ichiban Nekko - your post cracks me up, I want to go balcony so badly, but again, mom and sister cant swing it money wise. I do agree with you big time about sleeping well in an inside cabin, I feel the same way.

Phyllis, so deck 6 of all the levels on the ship is truly the most rough level? My mom and sister are actually leaning on that option right now over the other rooms we have on hold b/c they have determined they want oceanview but forward level 6 is the only option on the ship right now.

Ill post what we decide and again, thanks for your responses, I appreciate it very much!

I think you may have misread Phyllis' comment--I don't think she said Deck 6 was rough, just that the seas were rough in general leaving Ft. Lauderdale. I would think Deck 6, being about in the middle of the decks, would be a pretty safe bet. I was on Deck 10 aft last year in the Med and loved it, and I am pretty sensitive to motion.

I bought Bonine and had it available--needed it one time in tahiti last year on a sea day when we were playing Bingo in the blacked out lounge in the very front of the ship and there was some movement. At the VERY first sign/queasy feeling, I left immediately, took the Bonine, and sat out on our balcony (any outside area would do) for ten minutes and felt fine. Now, I have had REALLY bad days before, but that's when I tried to ignore the symptoms hoping they would go away. Now I know to be on top of it and nip it in the bud, so to speak.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip, wherever you are!

Cathy

If you're willing to book an inside cabin, why not stay low and in the middle? The lower decks are usually less expensive and if you're inside what difference does it make. Those decks are usually closer to the dining room, shops, reception, theatre, etc. It's the pool area and buffet that are usually up higher.

If you're willing to book an inside cabin, why not stay low and in the middle? The lower decks are usually less expensive and if you're inside what difference does it make. Those decks are usually closer to the dining room, shops, reception, theatre, etc. It's the pool area and buffet that are usually up higher.

Hey halbfl2, my mom and sister have decided interior might be too chlostrophobic for her, so that option is now out. I have no problem with them but this is their first cruise and my mom needs a window. I showed her a pic of my last cruise which was either on level 3 or 4 with a window and she is scared to be that close to the water so thats out. Thx for your feedback!

Phyllis, so deck 6 of all the levels on the ship is truly the most rough level?

NO, my deck 6 cabin was midship, half way up, and half way way fore to aft. It was the description you gave of one of the very forward cabins that makes it the roughest sailing. Having been on deck 6, and know it's all balconies and suites EXCEPT for the half dozen extremely forward, I assumed it had to be up there, and that would be rough. Yes, rougher than deck 3.

Tell your mother and sister that no cabins are right at sea level. If you go to the Celebrity site or a travel site and look at the ship by deck, there will be a red line showing how high or low the deck is. It is only the crew that have the close to the water line cabins, and perhaps those on deck 2, Continental. But plaza deck 3 is fine. No clostrophobia about the water. Right above it, deck 4, is the outdoor promenade deck, another factor I forgot to mention about its advantages. If you are in an inside and want some air and view, just go up one deck to promenade.

Abberboo, We have taken February cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale in 2007 & 2008 and did not have any rough water. In fact, last year we did the Panama Canal and the seas were like glass the whole time.

This year just the Western Caribbean and it was interesting that we were feeling some vibration in the restaurant which was at the aft end of the ship & DD was getting nauseous. One of the other passengers remarked that it was due to crossing some Strait of something or another around Cuba and when we were past it, it would cease. And it actually did shortly after that. DD took 2 days to get her sea legs but then was fine the rest of the trip.

Your mom's fear of being too close to the water is of course irrational but she has no idea of how big these ships are. My dear MIL was worried I would fall out a window because my desk at work was near one and I worked in a skyscraper downtown! So it is a matter of perspective.

I don't think you will have any problems in a deck 6 cabin. We were on deck 6 in a Cat 2-C balcony on Summit when we went to Hawaii and never felt any movement. Take the Bonine & Dramamine with you but keep the receipt. I'll bet you will be returning it unopened when you return.

Archived