Bringing aboard small beach chairs

Tiger55

Wondering if anyone has brought aboard those small folding beach chairs on the ship with them? Since there is such an issue finding a chair, we didn't know if we brought our own we could find a spot some where on deck to layout without worrying about chair hogs. Sailing on the Dream at the end of September. Any thoughts or comments would be very helpful.

We're thinking of bringing them on our Sky cruise next month. We have a balcony stateroom, and I've heard that the balcony chairs are very small and uncomfortable, so we thought we could use them out there. And, we'll probably bring them out on Great Stirrup Cay with us too, and find a nice shady spot. :)

I have never had a problem finding some kind of chair on a cruise, especially one in September. I try to pack as little as possible and a chair would be last on my list of must have items.

for those of us who drive to a port its really no big deal. Especially in Bermuda where chairs are not always available are expensive and uncomfortable taking a chair and an umbrella is no big deal half the time I just give to the room steward and not take it home. The chair cost me $5.00 and I just bought a new beach umbrella in a case at Odd lots in CT for $5.00 as well. The rental in Bermuda is more and its not as nice of either.....and I can't use them at secluded beaches but just as food is an individual choice so is whether to take them or not(the last time in Bermuda the place at horseshoe bay was closed when we got there...).

I would like to respond to the issue of bringing chairs aboard. You will not need them on deck just lay your towel on a chaise early in the morning. I saw people bringing folding chairs in the bag that you sling over your shoulder and also people bringing beach umbrellas. I thought this was crazy but after paying $25.00(St. Catherine's Beach) for one umbrella and a float I wish I brought our chairs. We spent two days at Shelley Bay and we rented four chaise lounges and an umbrella for $50.00 YIKES!!! Its torture laying on sand all afternoon without a chair or an umbrellla. It was worth the price.. If you can manage the chairs I would bring them. We spent three days at the beach..:D

I would like to respond to the issue of bringing chairs aboard. You will not need them on deck just lay your towel on a chaise early in the morning. I saw people bringing folding chairs in the bag that you sling over your shoulder and also people bringing beach umbrellas. I thought this was crazy but after paying $25.00(St. Catherine's Beach) for one umbrella and a float I wish I brought our chairs. We spent two days at Shelley Bay and we rented four chaise lounges and an umbrella for $50.00 YIKES!!! Its torture laying on sand all afternoon without a chair or an umbrellla. It was worth the price.. If you can manage the chairs I would bring them. We spent three days at the beach..:D

I'm sure you're joking about laying your towel on a chair early in the morning, right?

As far as bringing chairs, I think it's a great idea. Of course, I drive to port and pretty much pack the equivalence of a Titanic voyage.

This made me go buy two of these from Walmart for $35 each: WearEver LR-5 Backpack Lounger. We're taking a bus to the NY port so getting them there isn't a problem. The problem might be when we come home, if they are too large to be our carryons. I may ship them home, or arrange to sell them to someone else at the airport LOL!

Last couple of cruises we had a terrible time getting chairs, just to watch the ocean go by..so this is worth not having agravation on the ship. Of course they may disappear on the beach, when we are out snorkling. I figure if we lock them together, in an open position, they'll be a little harder to steal. But if they do get stolen, well, then they do.

WearEver LR-5 Backpack Lounger.

Those are the ones I have used for a few years now, including Bermuda in July - you'll love them! Because you wear them as a backpack, they are very easy to transport - and becuase they ARE a backpack you can load up a lot of stuff in the pack (towels, water, snacks, snorkel gear, etc.).

The chairs will pay for themselves, not to mention you can use them on beaches that do not have chairs available for rental.

I brought 2 folding canopy chairs last month on the Sky and it was GREAT! Not only did we have very comfy chairs to use on our balcony, we also had our own chairs on the private island and were the only ones with shade on the beach! Right now, BJs is selling some very similar to the ones we bought at Sports Authority for only $20 a piece. Grab em while you can. :)

Thanks for this. Made a lot of sense at 4 in the morning when I ordered them..wasn't so sure during the day LOL. I am a little concerned about lack of sunshade.

Can you give me the measurements of it folded..I wonder if I'll be able to bring it home as carry on.

Thanks.

Those are the ones I have used for a few years now, including Bermuda in July - you'll love them! Because you wear them as a backpack, they are very easy to transport - and becuase they ARE a backpack you can load up a lot of stuff in the pack (towels, water, snacks, snorkel gear, etc.).

The chairs will pay for themselves, not to mention you can use them on beaches that do not have chairs available for rental.

Can you give me the measurements of it folded..

Sure, 27" x 22" x a couple of inches or more deep (obviously more if you stuff the back pack full). We carried ours on, not a problem with the ship - I suspect it would be as an airline carry-on.

FWIW, we had our snorkel gear, scuba shoes and tons of snack foods (for the cabin) and bottled water in ours. Nobody blinked when boarding Dream, those bottles of water could have been vodka (hint to the Rum Runners). :)

PS: You might want to consider getting your own small, folding umbrellas (small enough to strap onto your pack/chair, but sturdy enough to withstand some ocean breeze). Failing that, many of the beaches rent umbrellas - but the cost adds up and they might be sold out when you arrive (nothing kills a beach day like having no shade, the beach is fun - but not when you are in the direct sun for many hours without a break).

Sure, 27" x 22" x a couple of inches or more deep (obviously more if you stuff the back pack full). We carried ours on, not a problem with the ship - I suspect it would be as an airline carry-on.

Thanks. Guess we'll have to bring an extra suticase for them..since they can't be carryon's on our flight home.

Wow... seems like a great idea; I guess we can bring chairs when traveling to our homeport but flying to/from a port could be a problem.

Maybe we'll buy them in Florida, before the cruise and leave them there... I really don't want to pay the extra fee to bring them home, even if they fit in luggage. We also have the folding chairs with canopy (from BJs) and I love it ... With 5 beach stops on our next cruise; they would be nice... Have to think about this ... hmmm ...

Archived