Minors travelling with one parent

jensing317

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but I just wanted to share my recent experience.

I was not asked at check in for a letter

I was not asked at any port of call (including Cozumel Mexico--where I was told I would have a problem) for a letter

I was not asked at debarkation for a letter.

The border patrol agent asked DS who I was, what his birthdate was and if he had a good time on his cruise.

That's it and I was panicked because I didn't have a letter. After what I had been told about Mexico, I had one drawn up and notarized and left it in the car.

I had my brother all worried when we went to Alaska a couple months ago . He was traveling with his 14yr old son. He is going through a divorce. It was hard for him to get the notarized letter from soon to be ex but I told him that in order to get off the ship in Vancouver, bc he needs it... Hmmmph.. they did n't even look at him funny let alone ask why for a parental statement to take the boy out of the country... Is that good or bad... someething to think about.. especially with the child abductions going out of the country unnoticed...

LOL I took both my daughters and my oldest daughter's 17 year old boyfriend with me on my last cruise to the Western Caribbean. Had letters for all 3 and was never asked once. The advice I recieved from Carnival was get the letter, but don't ask, don't tell.

I'm going again this February, and taking my youngest daughter and one of her girlfriends. Getting the letters again. May not need them, but the peace of mind is priceless.

I'm taking my 2 kids (13 and 15) on the Conquest in March. Although I agree with the need for a letter in principle, of course anything which would assist in decreasing the abduction rate is imperative, this does cause much stress. My ex uses this letter as a pawn ... he keeps agreeing to meet for signing, then cancels last minute. He makes stupid demands and says he won't sign the letter unless I agree to his outrageousness (which I won't, this lady will not be bullied!). I know he will eventually sign because he doesn't want to have to go to court and have a judge make him do it - but it is however an unnecessary stressor. I'm one of the lucky ones, I have resources and great support in my life. This will all be worked out in the end and the kids and I will have a GREAT cruise :D But I think of the other single parents who have to beg, scheme, litigate or hunt down the other parent whose signature is required (regardless of how involved they are in the childs life, if at all). It can be stressful, exhausting and in some situations, pretty darn costly ... I don't know what the solution is. One thing I made sure of during the custody thingie (I prefer saying thingie over battle) was a stipulation that either parent will provide all necessary documents to the parent who will be traveling out of the country with the children and that the traveling parent will provide itinerary and contact information. It has made things a bit easier, if that's any help to anyone who may be in a similar situation.

There's my long winded two cents ;)

I have been wanting to take my 10 year old daughter on a cruise but my ex-husband would not even respond to my requests. I was worried about not having the letter. He has not had any contact with our daughter for over a year so I hired an attorney to sue for sole custody. With sole custody I will not need his permission. I should have sole custody within the next couple of weeks and booked her first cruise for December!

Took my 14 year old daughter,15 year old niece , ny daughters 14 year old friend. Had letters to say I could authorize medical treatment. No letter stating going out of the country. I never thought of that and was not advised by TA to do so. Had no problems. Thank goodness. I think I would now be prepared though.

Triumph 6/2007

Glory 4/2009

I have been wanting to take my 10 year old daughter on a cruise but my ex-husband would not even respond to my requests. I was worried about not having the letter. He has not had any contact with our daughter for over a year so I hired an attorney to sue for sole custody. With sole custody I will not need his permission. I should have sole custody within the next couple of weeks and booked her first cruise for December!

Good for you ... and for your daughter! Have a great cruise!!!!!

I don't when the rule about the letter went into effect. I noticed the rule the other day and made a note as my 12 year old son and I are cruising to Cozumel in January. We had no issues when we went 3 years ago - BUT when we boarded in May to go to Alaska the person putting us thru questioned where his dad was. I said - At home. My son has a passport so I never thought about needing a letter as my ex has to give permission and GO with us to get the passport. Never saw ANYThing on NCL about needing a letter for Alaska/Canada. I could understand needing the letter without a passport but with one - YES - things can change in the 5 years of issuence but if I have possession of the passport - HOPEFULLY I'm the responsibile party in the situation and there isn't an issue. (Because whose to say the letters are valid)

the letters need to be notarized for validity ... another trip to the lawyers!! :rolleyes:

If you don't want to sit and wait (and possibly be charged) for an attorney to do it, try your bank or credit union. Most banks have a Notary Public on staff. Ours doesn't charge for the service as long as you have an account with them.

If you don't want to sit and wait (and possibly be charged) for an attorney to do it, try your bank or credit union. Most banks have a Notary Public on staff. Ours doesn't charge for the service as long as you have an account with them.

And even if you don't have an account, the fees for notary services are usually small ($2 in NY and NJ, if I recall correctly). If you work for a large corporation that has legal staff on hand, see if there isn't a notary in-house. I'm a paralegal for a mutual fund company, and all our paralegals are notaries, as well as most of our lawyers.

And even if you don't have an account, the fees for notary services are usually small ($2 in NY and NJ, if I recall correctly). If you work for a large corporation that has legal staff on hand, see if there isn't a notary in-house. I'm a paralegal for a mutual fund company, and all our paralegals are notaries, as well as most of our lawyers.

Our bank here in Iowa charges the same. I'd rather pay $2 than the lawyer's fee if there should be one! lol

In looking at passports for my children, I noticed that both parents have to appear in person to sign applications and if both parent's don't show up, the missing one needs a notarized document stating their permission for the passport.

Is this new? Just wondering..... maybe that has to do with not needing a letter? Once the new passport laws go into effect, wouldn't the state department flag a passport if there was a minor child abduction?

In looking at passports for my children, I noticed that both parents have to appear in person to sign applications and if both parent's don't show up, the missing one needs a notarized document stating their permission for the passport.

Is this new? Just wondering..... maybe that has to do with not needing a letter? Once the new passport laws go into effect, wouldn't the state department flag a passport if there was a minor child abduction?

As far as I know, both parents have always needed to sign for a passport. I would hope that a passport would be flagged in the event of a child abduction, new laws or not.

I don't think that the notarized letter is 'required' for entrance to all foreign nations.

My friend's 11 year old daughter was questioned by Port of Galveston to identify who her parents was and was taken to the side and asked several more questions. About 5 questions in all. All was well but was nerve racking. So best be prepared. My children was not questioned and my sister in law's children was not questioned. They must pick so many kids per sailing randomly.

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum but I just wanted to share my recent experience.

I was not asked at check in for a letter

I was not asked at any port of call (including Cozumel Mexico--where I was told I would have a problem) for a letter

I was not asked at debarkation for a letter.

The border patrol agent asked DS who I was, what his birthdate was and if he had a good time on his cruise.

That's it and I was panicked because I didn't have a letter. After what I had been told about Mexico, I had one drawn up and notarized and left it in the car.

I just gave my Passports for me and my kids and had no problem at all

Don't be fooled...cruising is very different from flying. Cruises are more lax about it. I've only been asked once on a cruise and every time when I flew to Mexico. Once denied boarding until the next day when I came back to the airport with the docs.

Also, passport or not, makes no difference. If an agent wants proof of custody, ability to travel, etc., you can't argue.

The last 2 years I have taken my son's friends with us, I did have a signed letter similar to the one found listed under Minor Consent on the following site:http://www.prucha.com/modules.php?name=Cruise_Mania

I was never asked for the letter on either cruise but it is better to be safe than sorry.

I do have a friend that took a group of Girl Scouts out of the country and they were stopped because one of the girls had a run away report that the parents never canceled. That caused a big problem!

Archived