Vienna and Rothenberg Optionals

letsgoeverywhere

Has anyone gone to a concert or the Palace in Vienna on their own? Would it be difficult to do so? Is Rothenberg a shopping excursion and is there a lot of uphill walking?

Thanks!

As to Rothenberg, we thought this was a wonderful tour. There was a lot of walking.

Vienna is an easy city to get around. The trams and matro are wonderful. We spent time after a cruise and of course visited most everything on our own. The Schoenbrun is a short walk from the train and a good tour. The only concert we went to last summer was the Vienna Boys'Choir. A friends nephew was singing, so we went. It was an excellent concert. Very little is airconditioned. We also went to a practice for the remarkable Lipensteiner Horses. We stayed at a Courtyard out near the schoenbrun. Pat

If you are a fan of classical music you would want to visit the "Musikverein" acoustically and astecically one of the best halls in the world.

It is right in the center and near the Ring Strasse. There are concerts, frequently the Vienna Philharmonic, there almost every evening and afternoons on Sunday. It is a treat!:)

I assume you're talking about Rothenberg ob der Tauber, in Germany. If you aren't, ignore this.

Rothenberg is a great walking village. It isn't hilly. If you want to visit a very different museum, there is the Medieval Crime Museum. If someone in your group is into collecting Christmas ornaments, there is the Kathe Wolfahrt's Christmas Shop. If I remember, there is also a large Teddy Bear store. There is some good wine to be had in the area, too.

I assume you're talking about Rothenberg ob der Tauber, in Germany. If you aren't, ignore this.

Rothenberg is a great walking village. It isn't hilly. If you want to visit a very different museum, there is the Medieval Crime Museum. If someone in your group is into collecting Christmas ornaments, there is the Kathe Wolfahrt's Christmas Shop. If I remember, there is also a large Teddy Bear store. There is some good wine to be had in the area, too.

When I visit a country I try to bring something back to represent that country as a memory. I purchased a beautiful Nutcracker from Kathe Wolfahrt's Shop. There is so much there you could spend the whole day in the shop browsing in all the rooms. Beautiful craftsmanship. Highly recommend a visit. Yes there is a Teddy Bear store. The town is quite enchanting and glad we took the trip.

I bought several ornaments at the shop. I also picked up some incense cones to use with my Smoking Man that I bought in Konigsee. I was there in mid-January, as a stop on a 3 week trip between Paris and Konigsee. It was so nice and not crowded. My favorite restaurant there was Zur Holl. It is a tiny place, nothing fancy. But, good food and wine.

We have been to both cities, but not while on a river cruise. We visited Rothenberg ob der Tauber only once for two nights and enjoyed it very much. This was several years ago, but I recall that the center of the town was on one long slope, not too steep. I was about to say that we bought nothing there, but now recall that I purchased six nice German wine glasses at a store there. We stayed at a hotel at the top of the slope, and the store was about half way down the slope on the left, walking downhill. The glasses are typical German with large "bowls" about 3 inches wide on 3 inch tall, thick stems. I have detail here because we once lived in Germany, and these glasses are Germen. I like them.

We have been to Vienna several times. It is a great city. You do not say if your river cruise starts or ends in Vienna, or if you have only one night while aboard your boat (ship). If you are there before or after your cruise, stay in the center of the city. We like a guest house named "Perchey." You can find it, and others, on the web. There are two major walking streets there and so very much to see and do. In any case attend a music performance. Also as mentioned, the transportation in Vienna is extremely good.

As suggested below, if you like classical music, by all means go to something in Vienna. I would suggest going to something other than a tourist oriented show. Some may be OK, but nothing compared to a true concert or opera. The Vienna State Opera House is one of the finest in the world. We have been to ballet and opera there. The building is also very beautiful. We have managed to obtain tickets in Vienna, but I suggest you look on the web for the site and purchase tickets now, or as soon as they become available.

If your cruise starts or ends in Budapest, look at the offerings at The State Opera House there also. The building is not as grandiose as Vienna, but still very attractive. We attended one opera there and it was very good. Get tickets early. They sell fast because the prices are incredibly inexpensive.

You have not told us if you have been to Europe before. We have lived in Germany, London, and Italy for a few months each. The experiences continue to be with us.

Bob :)

Yes, we have been to Europe before, but a coach tour, and thought a river cruise would be a nice change (less packing). Our ship is docked in Vienna two nights so we will look for a concert. I think the optional offered by the cruise is one packaged for tourists. Unfortunately there is nothing at the Budapest State Opera House while we are there.

We have been on three river cruises in Europe, all after we lived there, and one three night cruise in China, as part of a longer China tour. They were all enjoyable.

Sorry there is no opera in Budapest when you are there. None-the-less it is a great city to visit. I am sure your hotel can arrange a bus tour of the city, going to the Buda side as well as to Hero's Square and other places on the Pest side. You will also find the subway system easy to navigate. The central line starts by Geubards Pastry and goes to Hero's Square and beyond. Hero's has good museums.

In Budapest, watch the taxi drivers. Some will cheat a lot. Best to have your hotel call for a cab. You may want to check some of my other recent posts about Budapest.

You should be able to attend some great music in Vienna. It will not be inexpensive, but you only live once.

I understand reluctance to travel Europe on your own. We lived there and had to have an auto to do so. We also traveled by train many times. I'll bet that if you planned your own trip next time and purchased rail passes for the countries you want to visit, you would have a really great time. With the Google maps and the internet for hotel reservations, you can't go wrong. Just a suggestion.

Bob :cool:

Archived