Bad news - Good news

silverstash

The wife and I were scheduled to cruise on the Viking Sky from Vienna to Amsterdam starting 8-30-08. The bad news, I developed massive blood clots in both legs on 8-12-09 and was hospitalized for over two weeks. After extensive vascular surgery most of the clots were cleaned out and am doing quite well. Of course the doctors said that I shouldn't fly for at least 6 months. What a bummer not cruising on the rivers of Europe. The good new, we purchased trip insurance on our own and 100 percent of the monies we spent on the curise, flights, the cruise it self, and hotels will be reimbursed. Even though I will have to be on blood thinner the rest of my life at least for now I'm alive and kicking. We will probably make the cruise next year so I can still look forward to cruising the rivers of

Europe. The extra $400.00 spent on trip insurance saved us about $9.900.00. Not a bad deal when you think on it.

Hope you continue your improvement, Silverstash.

We, too, purchase 3rd party insurance, just in case. I owned a cruise agency for 8 years and the hardest thing was to see people lose their cruise because of unanticipated problems. I'm so glad you were covered....

So sorry to hear about your health problems and that you missed your trip. But glad to hear you are doing better now and had insurance. What a testament to others to always buy insurnace. I'm a believer. I didn't buy insurance on a land trip about 3 years ago and I got sick and couldn't go. I was out $1000. Insurance was only going to cost me $50. I sure learned my lesson.

The wife and I were scheduled to cruise on the Viking Sky from Vienna to Amsterdam starting 8-30-08. The bad news, I developed massive blood clots in both legs on 8-12-09 and was hospitalized for over two weeks. After extensive vascular surgery most of the clots were cleaned out and am doing quite well. Of course the doctors said that I shouldn't fly for at least 6 months. What a bummer not cruising on the rivers of Europe. The good new, we purchased trip insurance on our own and 100 percent of the monies we spent on the curise, flights, the cruise it self, and hotels will be reimbursed. Even though I will have to be on blood thinner the rest of my life at least for now I'm alive and kicking. We will probably make the cruise next year so I can still look forward to cruising the rivers of

Europe. The extra $400.00 spent on trip insurance saved us about $9.900.00. Not a bad deal when you think on it.

Stay healthy! Six months will fly by.

Sorry about the change of your plans. My DH had this same surgery 18 months before our Danube cruise. His doctor told him to move, walk at least every 2 hours on the long flight. Made for tough sleeping, but he has had no problems ever since. He, too, is a lifer on blood thinners. Good luck to you...you'll be on that river before you know it.

Sorry you had to cancel (postpone) - Glad about the insurance. We have a saying in Australian - "If you can't afford the travel insurance, you can't afford to travel". We always have it and only once have needed it luckily but it made it all worthwhile.

Hope you are on the cruise when you plan now.

Archived