Just Back from the STAR Aug 23 Sailing to Alaska; Doubt if I do NCL Again

akwaaba

I’ve sailed Carnival, RCCL, and NCL pre-freestyle; I enjoyed seeing Alaska and will go again but not on NCL; actually, I doubt if I’ll ever cruise with them again. Here are some good points before getting to the bad.

The Good:

Embarking and disembarking was a breeze, it was the best I’ve ever experienced.

NCL personnel were friendly and always greeted you

Except for one idiot waiter in the Aqua dinning room during breakfast, the wait staff was very good.

I enjoyed the nightly shows in the main theater.

The Bad:

Food choices – When I cruise I like to be waited on, so I only do the buffet a 3 or 4 times per cruise, even breakfast I prefer the dining room. Since meals are included in the cost of the cruise, I really expect to get a decent selection to choose from which wasn’t the case. Because of the number of specialty dining rooms, which you must pay extra to enjoy, it seems that menu choices were lacking in the main dining room; formal night had the best offerings. I ate at Cagney’s (very good) once for dinner, but didn’t expect to have to eat at specialty dining room to find something I wanted to eat. Once for lunch the menu in the dining room was so bad I couldn’t even find an appetizer that I could turn into a meal, I asked if I could order a steak and was told no. I’m in the middle of the ocean, so I felt captive.

The Spa – I had a massage, my hair done, and bought a product but wasn’t allowed to use the whirlpool, etc unless I paid an extra $20.00 for the day; last year on Carnival there wasn’t a charge for this. They did let me sit in the ‘relaxation room’, which has comfy chairs and floor to ceiling windows for 15 minutes before my massage.

Activities – free activities were lacking during the day, you could find bingo, auctions, gambling, etc. but it was hard to find anything else. I was OK with it until the last day which was completely at sea and I was bored.

The Irksome:

Souvenir Glasses – They kept serving drinks in souvenir glasses throughout the cruise, which of course cost you extra; twice I asked for my drink in a regular glass and was told “this is the way they come” and no, they wouldn’t put it in a regular glass. Before someone says you can use the same souvenir glass over and over, it didn’t always work out, so I stopped ordering those types of drinks.

Sheila

Sorry to hear your experience with ncl wasn't a positive one. On the one day you couldn't find anything on the diningroom menu to your liking, did you consider the buffet, or room service, or the blue lagoon?

I'm surprised there wasn't anything to do on your last sea day. The two times I've been on the Star there were so many things to do, I had to decide which things to miss out on.

Obviously ncl isn't for everyone! Good luck with your future cruising.

I’ve sailed Carnival, RCCL, and NCL pre-freestyle; I enjoyed seeing Alaska and will go again but not on NCL; actually, I doubt if I’ll ever cruise with them again. Here are some good points before getting to the bad.

The Good:

Except for one idiot waiter in the Aqua dinning room during breakfast, the wait staff was very good.

The Bad:

Food choices – When I cruise I like to be waited on, so I only do the buffet a 3 or 4 times per cruise, even breakfast I prefer the dining room. Since meals are included in the cost of the cruise, I really expect to get a decent selection to choose from which wasn’t the case. Because of the number of specialty dining rooms, which you must pay extra to enjoy, it seems that menu choices were lacking in the main dining room; formal night had the best offerings. I ate at Cagney’s (very good) once for dinner, but didn’t expect to have to eat at specialty dining room to find something I wanted to eat. Once for lunch the menu in the dining room was so bad I couldn’t even find an appetizer that I could turn into a meal, I asked if I could order a steak and was told no. I’m in the middle of the ocean, so I felt captive.

The Spa – I had a massage, my hair done, and bought a product but wasn’t allowed to use the whirlpool, etc unless I paid an extra $20.00 for the day; last year on Carnival there wasn’t a charge for this. They did let me sit in the ‘relaxation room’, which has comfy chairs and floor to ceiling windows for 15 minutes before my massage.

Activities – free activities were lacking during the day, you could find bingo, auctions, gambling, etc. but it was hard to find anything else. I was OK with it until the last day which was completely at sea and I was bored.

The Irksome:

Souvenir Glasses – They kept serving drinks in souvenir glasses throughout the cruise, which of course cost you extra; twice I asked for my drink in a regular glass and was told “this is the way they come” and no, they wouldn’t put it in a regular glass. Before someone says you can use the same souvenir glass over and over, it didn’t always work out, so I stopped ordering those types of drinks.

Sheila

just a couple of things: I knew for a fact, if you tell the cocktail wait staff you want whatever kind of drink in a regular glass you can get it, if they bring one in a souvenir glass just tell them NO, how do I know? I have done this. After the first time they brought it in a souvenir glass it seem like you would have ordered it next time in a reg glass..No choices you liked on the menu, at lunch there are salads that you can request. I can imagine them saying no to a steak. I have cruised on all mass marketed lines and would never think of ordering a steak for lunch. Carnival doesn't offer them either.

The extra charge for using the special spa facitilities may not apply to Carnival but most ships have added a $15 to $25 charge or you can buy a package.

I am a little surprised about no activities. I know they have lectures, trivia, cards games etc daily. Did you check on any of them? What type of activiites would you have liked that were not offered?

AS for being waited on, this is where, obviously NCL isn't a good match for you. Those who think cruising is about being pampered should choose another line, those who want a truely friendly, relaxed crew will find NCL to their liking.

Nita

Sorry your cruise wasn't stellar for you. Thanks for the examples of the good and the bad.

What did you think of the ship, overall? I sailed the Star in 2003 and have since been on a the newer ships. I was thinking about the Star again in the near future and wondered if she would hold the same luster after enjoying some of the newer amenities on other ships.

I also quite enjoyed the entertainment on the Star. It was under a different cruise director, but I felt that it was the best entertainment overall of any cruise I had been on. Every show had something that made me go WOW and I have never seen so many standing ovations on a ship.

I hope you have a GREAT next cruise. It's disappointing when you feel that one was a bit of a dud. Although I have enjoyed EVERY cruise I have been on, some have just felt a bit deflated in some ways. It was my 3rd cruise on Princess (they do short ones in my area) until I had what I would consider a heartwarming cruise with them.

NCL is my favorite, but in reference to your comment about a bar waiter telling you that they would not serve the special drink without the souvenir cup, I can certainly believe that they told you that. Like Nita, I know that they do serve them without the cup (a considerably smaller serving), but I have had a couple of NCL bar waiters in the past few cruises give me a bit of the attitude you are describing. It is not a huge deal, and the drink doesn't mean a lot to me. However,as a happy cruiser, I am not used to a crewmember not caring if I got what I wanted or not. It is not a great feeling.

I hope you have a GREAT next cruise!

Sorry to hear your experience with ncl wasn't a positive one. On the one day you couldn't find anything on the diningroom menu to your liking, did you consider the buffet, or room service, or the blue lagoon?

I'm surprised there wasn't anything to do on your last sea day. The two times I've been on the Star there were so many things to do, I had to decide which things to miss out on.

Obviously ncl isn't for everyone! Good luck with your future cruising.

I did try the blue lagoon, I used room service once, and the buffet several times, I just prefer a sit down meal because in addition to being waited on, I don't consume as many calories.

I was hoping to add NCL to my list of lines to choose from, oh well.

Sheila

Sheila I understand what you mean about the drink glasses. I had to always be very stern when I ordered and said NO souvenir glasses. I kicked myself a few times when I forgot to say I didn't want them. Once I did order it and said I didn't want it and they said that was the only way it came. I'm not going to accept that on my next cruise though.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the cruise.

just a couple of things: I knew for a fact, if you tell the cocktail wait staff you want whatever kind of drink in a regular glass you can get it, if they bring one in a souvenir glass just tell them NO, how do I know? I have done this. After the first time they brought it in a souvenir glass it seem like you would have ordered it next time in a reg glass..No choices you liked on the menu, at lunch there are salads that you can request. I can imagine them saying no to a steak. I have cruised on all mass marketed lines and would never think of ordering a steak for lunch. Carnival doesn't offer them either.

The extra charge for using the special spa facitilities may not apply to Carnival but most ships have added a $15 to $25 charge or you can buy a package.

I am a little surprised about no activities. I know they have lectures, trivia, cards games etc daily. Did you check on any of them? What type of activiites would you have liked that were not offered?

AS for being waited on, this is where, obviously NCL isn't a good match for you. Those who think cruising is about being pampered should choose another line, those who want a truely friendly, relaxed crew will find NCL to their liking.

Nita

I'm glad the sorvenir glass request worked for you, but it didn't for me, I asked and so did my cabin mate.

I never had to ask for a steak on Carnival, I always had plenty of other choices.

Since I spent so much at the spa, I thought just for that day I should be able to use the facilities.

Of course I looked for activites.

I didn't say anything about being pampered, I just wanted a sit down meal I liked.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your cruise. I just got off the Spirit yesterday and had an awesome time. It just seems to me that you don't like the Freestyle concept- it is different than other lines, but I guess not everyone is fond of it. At least you now know that NCL isn't the cruise line for you and you can have cruises in the future with other lines that you'll enjoy very much!

Were we on the same cruise? :confused:

I mean..... I had lunch on the 2nd day in the Versaille and asked the waiter if I could get something different from the menu...and he told me everything is possible. What do I want? Well, I was dining with friends and wanted the fish and chips from the Blue Lagoon (very yummy), and he told me no problem. And, with everyone's meal...came my fish and chips.

Also, one late evening at the Red Lion Pub, a person ordered the drink of the day...got the special glass...and requested the regular glass even after the drink was served. The bartender said no problem, and transferred the drink into a regular glass. I saw this for myself.

The last sea day was nothing but activities. If you really looked at your Freestyle Daily, you had to choose what you wanted to do and what not to do. I do admit...there is a push for Bingo and Georgina's (Asst. Cruise Director) Bingo annoucements over the ships speaker system were annoying and LOUD. NCL does have to tone down the commercial buy buy buy and Bingo bingo bingo annoucements. If someone says Whooo Whoo to me anytime soon...there might be a problem. Those of you who know that I mean...probably can appreciate this.

I am really sorry that you had a bad experience. I can say that I had the time of my life on the ship and off the ship in Alaska. I have no problems sailing NCL again.

Like any cruise or service oriented business, if anyone tells you NO, go to someone else or request a manager. Never let one negative person or situation ruin an expensive vacation. You are paying... and the goal is that you have such a good time that you cannot wait to return and do it again.

Happy Sailing on whatever line you choose for your next sailing. ;)

We too had the "vacation of a lifetime" in June. We even purchased a future cruise credit. I have a very picky 12 year old and he was always able to find something to eat for lunch and dinner.

I am sorry that you had such a horrible time, like others have said NCL may not be for you. As for us, we never made it to the buffet as we had room service for breakfast and ate at Versailles for all our lunches and tried Le Bistro, Cagney's , Aqua , Endless Summer Nights and Versailles for dinner. We also had Blue Lagoon for "afternoon snacks". Love their chicken wings and spinich articoke dip.

We did pay for the couples spa pass for the week and totally thought it was worth it. We didn't do bingo we did do some of the lectures and trivia. I guess I we can make our fun anywhere.

I am currently nervous about booking our next cruise on Carnival since NCL does not sail out of Texas and we are booking about 14 people for next summer. I am a true believer in FREESTYLE and I am worried about trying something else, but like anything else we will give it a shot and count the days to our NCL trip to the Mexican Rivera

I was on the same cruise last week on the Star it was my fifth Alaskan cruise to Alaska all with NCL and I had the time of my life ( again ). Funny the Alaska

towns and/or excursions were never mentioned did you stay on the ship in every port ??? or do you want to get waited on hand and foot perhaps spoon feed. Oh well my opinion the food was great the service great and just an occasional reason to get upset --perhaps you were the person who keep walking on the left on the ship always in my way and never moved or perhaps you got wet in Juneau on Tuesday and stayed on the ship rather than enjoy the wonderful city.

The ship never made it to Sawyer Glacier but the Captain saw to it that we got close enough to Dawes Glacier for you to get ice for your drink, but you choose not to mention that or the other things to enjoy on a cruise. The shows on the ship each night were sensational.

You make the cruise what you want from it and I guess you were on a different ship last week than I was.

Last week on the Star was wonderful for us too! LOTS to do, meals were great. I had no problem with staff and drinks. In fact, during the HILARIOUS Fountain show put on by the director staff, I ordered a pina colada and the waiter asked if I wanted the collector glass or the smaller size in a regular glass. I took the regular, and when he came back, he handed us TWO drinks. I said that I only ordered one, and he said they are buy one get one free that night!

With over 2200 passengers, there are bound to be several that are not happy with their experience.

I am sorry your experience was not what you had looked forward to. You will find I'm kind of a cheerleader for NCL, but will also be the first to say NCL isn't for every one.

I agree with you about wanting a sit down meal as opposed to the buffet. I am the same way. Also, I do not have a doubt you had the experiences you had, yet others have posted here they were on the same ship same cruise and had the complete opposite experience. It just works out that way.

Thank you for sharing both positives and the negatives of your experience. A lot of people will get on here and not say one positive thing.

As I say, we loved the Star.. actually we have been on her twice and thought she had a great staff and crew. Good luck in your future cruises. I really do hope you find the line(s) that are more to your liking. 8-)

I'm glad the sorvenir glass request worked for you, but it didn't for me, I asked and so did my cabin mate.

I never had to ask for a steak on Carnival, I always had plenty of other choices.

Since I spent so much at the spa, I thought just for that day I should be able to use the facilities.

Of course I looked for activites.

I didn't say anything about being pampered, I just wanted a sit down meal I liked.

If you asked before you ordered your drink and the bar tender would not serve you a fru fru drink without a glass, did you tell him you didn't want anything then? I also still wonder why anyone would expect steak at lunch. You say you never had to ask on Carnival, that could be very true as food is subjective and quite possibly nothing appealed to you, but you do not know what would have happened had you asked for a steak at lunch on Carnival? I don't either, but I bet you would not have gotten one. Steak is not something many people order for lunch anywhere. As for the spa situation, again, it really doesn't matter how much you spent. And again, I will ask, you looked for activities and there was no trivia, card games, lectures, nothing? Maybe what they had were things that did not interest you. That I can beleive. It is too bad much of your cruise was a disappointment, but this is why there are so many lines. Everyone has a preference and no line is right for everyone.

NIta

Wow. I actually am grateful for your post, but for a different kind of reason. The very things that you mentioned as the "positives" were the absolute important things to me. The things you mentioned as "Negatives" were less important to non-issues, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe because I've only sailed on a cruise twice before, or maybe because that's just the kinds of things I'm not into - but service, friendliness of staff, convenience - those are very significant to me - and I'm so glad you gave them high marks ! I can't wait for my cruise at the end of the month ! BB:)

Last week on the Star was wonderful for us too! LOTS to do, meals were great. I had no problem with staff and drinks. In fact, during the HILARIOUS Fountain show put on by the director staff, I ordered a pina colada and the waiter asked if I wanted the collector glass or the smaller size in a regular glass. I took the regular, and when he came back, he handed us TWO drinks. I said that I only ordered one, and he said they are buy one get one free that night!

With over 2200 passengers, there are bound to be several that are not happy with their experience.

I see by your signature, the Star was your first cruise. She was DH's first cruise in 2001 and my second cruise after my first cruise on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1972. We got hooked on cruising because of our fantastic time on the Star, cruising the Hawiian Islands. We will be cruising for the eighth time on NCL next month on the Jewel for ten days, Canada/New England.

NCL has never disappointed us and we love Freestyle over traditional dining. This will be our 24th cruise and we have cruised on six mass market lines including RCCL, HAL, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity. We always come back to NCL.

I see by your signature, the Star was your first cruise. She was DH's first cruise in 2001 and my second cruise after my first cruise on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1972. We got hooked on cruising because of our fantastic time on the Star, cruising the Hawiian Islands. We will be cruising for the eighth time on NCL next month on the Jewel for ten days, Canada/New England.

NCL has never disappointed us and we love Freestyle over traditional dining. This will be our 24th cruise and we have cruised on six mass market lines including RCCL, HAL, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity. We always come back to NCL.

Our ``hooked on cruising'' story is much like yours. We sailed our first cruise on a 5-day NCL Majesty cruise out of Miami in Nov., 2002 and didn't want to get off the ship.

On Sept. 14th we will embark on our 10th NCL cruise, our 22nd cruise since that first 2002 cruise. We've sailed Celebrity, Princess, Carnival and RCCL as well as NCL and have enjoyed each cruise for different reasons. Sometimes that enjoyment comes from the ship experience, sometimes from the ports of call. Can't think of one cruise we didn't enjoy in different ways.

Have cruised the Star 3 times, twice to Mexican Riviera and once to Alaska. Will be on the Sun to Alaska on this next cruise and will probably book the Star to Mex. Riviera again for Sept. 09.

Our 23rd cruise will be on NCL Spirit end of Nov. this year. We sailed the Spirit last November out of NOLA and loved every minute of it. But by January we will be back to Carnival for a couple of cruises.

For us, NCL's freestyle concept works well on itineraries where we want to stay in port as long as possible and not worry about dinner times. We enjoy Carnival cruises for the entertainment as well as ports and structured dining as we enjoy Carnival's piano bars. Celebrity, Princess and RCCL have specialties that attract us as well when the price of the cruise is right. At this time, the prices of cruising on those 3 lines aren't that attractive to us as we are trying to cruise 4 times a year and we are not retired as yet.

To the OP, I'm sorry you were disappointed with a lack of activities that interested you on your last sea day as you sailed back from Alaska.

From our experience, the last sea day has generally had fewer ``on deck and active'' activity choices than Caribbean cruises. Am assuming that the activity level of very active activites has to due with A. the itineraries are fairly exhaustive for many of the pax and B. the weather on the Pacific side of the US is normally not as conducive to some activities as in the Caribbean.

Dianne

I was on the same cruise last week on the Star it was my fifth Alaskan cruise to Alaska all with NCL and I had the time of my life ( again ). Funny the Alaska

towns and/or excursions were never mentioned did you stay on the ship in every port ??? or do you want to get waited on hand and foot perhaps spoon feed. Oh well my opinion the food was great the service great and just an occasional reason to get upset --perhaps you were the person who keep walking on the left on the ship always in my way and never moved or perhaps you got wet in Juneau on Tuesday and stayed on the ship rather than enjoy the wonderful city.

The ship never made it to Sawyer Glacier but the Captain saw to it that we got close enough to Dawes Glacier for you to get ice for your drink, but you choose not to mention that or the other things to enjoy on a cruise. The shows on the ship each night were sensational.

You make the cruise what you want from it and I guess you were on a different ship last week than I was.

Your comments are rude and not called for. If you look at my post I said how much I enjoyed Alaska, I did the dogsledding, whale watch and wildlife tour and snokeling. I ENJOYED Alaska. I simply wanted a sit down meal; everyone is reading to much into what I'm saying.

Sheila

Sorry your cruise wasn't stellar for you. Thanks for the examples of the good and the bad.

What did you think of the ship, overall? I sailed the Star in 2003 and have since been on a the newer ships. I was thinking about the Star again in the near future and wondered if she would hold the same luster after enjoying some of the newer amenities on other ships.

I also quite enjoyed the entertainment on the Star. It was under a different cruise director, but I felt that it was the best entertainment overall of any cruise I had been on. Every show had something that made me go WOW and I have never seen so many standing ovations on a ship.

I hope you have a GREAT next cruise. It's disappointing when you feel that one was a bit of a dud. Although I have enjoyed EVERY cruise I have been on, some have just felt a bit deflated in some ways. It was my 3rd cruise on Princess (they do short ones in my area) until I had what I would consider a heartwarming cruise with them.

NCL is my favorite, but in reference to your comment about a bar waiter telling you that they would not serve the special drink without the souvenir cup, I can certainly believe that they told you that. Like Nita, I know that they do serve them without the cup (a considerably smaller serving), but I have had a couple of NCL bar waiters in the past few cruises give me a bit of the attitude you are describing. It is not a huge deal, and the drink doesn't mean a lot to me. However,as a happy cruiser, I am not used to a crewmember not caring if I got what I wanted or not. It is not a great feeling.

I hope you have a GREAT next cruise!

I really liked the look and feel of the ship.

I rank the souvenior glass as an anoyance and that certainly wouldn't stop me from cruising NCL. I would ask ahead of time what glass it came in and when they didn't let me change it, I ordered a different drink.

If you asked before you ordered your drink and the bar tender would not serve you a fru fru drink without a glass, did you tell him you didn't want anything then? I also still wonder why anyone would expect steak at lunch. You say you never had to ask on Carnival, that could be very true as food is subjective and quite possibly nothing appealed to you, but you do not know what would have happened had you asked for a steak at lunch on Carnival? I don't either, but I bet you would not have gotten one. Steak is not something many people order for lunch anywhere. As for the spa situation, again, it really doesn't matter how much you spent. And again, I will ask, you looked for activities and there was no trivia, card games, lectures, nothing? Maybe what they had were things that did not interest you. That I can beleive. It is too bad much of your cruise was a disappointment, but this is why there are so many lines. Everyone has a preference and no line is right for everyone.

NIta

Let me clear up the 'steak' thing. I don't even eat steak that much, I just wanted something other than what was on the menu and was told I couldn't order anything else.

Were we on the same cruise? :confused:

I mean..... I had lunch on the 2nd day in the Versaille and asked the waiter if I could get something different from the menu...and he told me everything is possible. What do I want? Well, I was dining with friends and wanted the fish and chips from the Blue Lagoon (very yummy), and he told me no problem. And, with everyone's meal...came my fish and chips.

Also, one late evening at the Red Lion Pub, a person ordered the drink of the day...got the special glass...and requested the regular glass even after the drink was served. The bartender said no problem, and transferred the drink into a regular glass. I saw this for myself.

The last sea day was nothing but activities. If you really looked at your Freestyle Daily, you had to choose what you wanted to do and what not to do. I do admit...there is a push for Bingo and Georgina's (Asst. Cruise Director) Bingo annoucements over the ships speaker system were annoying and LOUD. NCL does have to tone down the commercial buy buy buy and Bingo bingo bingo annoucements. If someone says Whooo Whoo to me anytime soon...there might be a problem. Those of you who know that I mean...probably can appreciate this.

I am really sorry that you had a bad experience. I can say that I had the time of my life on the ship and off the ship in Alaska. I have no problems sailing NCL again.

Like any cruise or service oriented business, if anyone tells you NO, go to someone else or request a manager. Never let one negative person or situation ruin an expensive vacation. You are paying... and the goal is that you have such a good time that you cannot wait to return and do it again.

Happy Sailing on whatever line you choose for your next sailing. ;)

I'm glad you got what you asked for, but I didn't.

I had fish n chips twice.

My vacation wasn't ruined, I had fun.

The Good:

The Bad:

The Irksome:

Sheila

SOME PEOPLEE JUST TOO HARD TO PLEASE. AT LEAST IT LEAVES AN EXTRA CABIN FOR THR REST OF USE. BYE!

I'm glad you got what you asked for, but I didn't.

I had fish n chips twice.

My vacation wasn't ruined, I had fun.

I'm thinking you might want to go back and re-read your original post about your Star cruise experience. You might want to rethink how you originally wrote your review.

After reading through responses to your original review, I have to agree with posters here that it sounds like you really didn't enjoy your cruise because your expectations weren't met and your comments regarding not being able to find anything on the lunch menu that you liked as well as comments regarding nothing you were interested in regarding the last sea day really stand out in your review.

I just have to say that in all the NCL cruises (and other cruises on other lines), DH & I always look at the menu posted outside the dining room before we enter the dining room for lunch. There have been times when we didn't see anything on the posted menu for lunch that appealed to us so we opted to get a quick bite at the buffet (which we rarely frequent) or eat at Blue Lagoon or just call room service. At each of our ``alternative'' lunch dining venues, we've always been eating ``sitting down,'' and have never felt that our dining experience was less than we would have had at home where we ``sit down,'' to eat a quickie lunch we cooked ourselves.

Just a thought, but perhaps your original post just came off the wrong way to many of the posters above.

Good to hear that your vacation wasn't ruined and that you did have fun on your cruise.

Dianne

Your comments are rude and not called for. If you look at my post I said how much I enjoyed Alaska, I did the dogsledding, whale watch and wildlife tour and snokeling. I ENJOYED Alaska. I simply wanted a sit down meal; everyone is reading to much into what I'm saying.

Sheila

Sheila, I agree with you about NCL and their meal choices. I think the menu choices in the non-fee restaurants are really not that great and I too enjoy eating in the dining rooms. I think the meals are better on CCL and 'X', rating NCL third and meals are an important part of cruising for us.

Having said that, I really enjoy everything else about NCL cruising with Freestyle dining on the top of my list. We will occasionally dine in specialty restaurants but have most meals in the main dining rooms. We enjoy experiencing different servers and seating in different areas of the dining rooms. And going to dinner when we are ready or around activities, is at the top of our list. I have always found something to my liking, but I still think the menus and quality were far better on our Carnival cruise a few months ago.

I have never had a problem ordering a 'special' drink in a regular glass, or being bored (and we don't gamble, play bingo, attend auctions, etc.) There is always a lecture, demonstration, or actvity we can enjoy.

Too bad it wasn't one of your better cruising experiences, but I can definitely understand that what is important to one person is not to another. We cruise with several other couples and they will put NCL at the bottom of the list ... DH and I put NCL at the top of the list.

In a very quick nutshell as I will be posting more later but couldn't resist a comment now, I was on the 23rd sailing. We loved our first freestyle experience, but the food was just fair at best. As you can see, I have experienced other lines and was disappointed in the food. Ate at Cagney's, Le Bistro, Blue Lagoon, Aqua, Versailles, buffets and room service.

Just another opinion...

Archived