Single-Parents and Taking a child overseas

canary1974

When I booked my cruise I asked the girl at carnival if I would have any problems with my child. Her last name is different from mine because she carry's her father's last name and I don't anymore.. My ex-husband and I really don't have any current child custody paper's due to the fact that we actually get along really good now. I have her birth certificate no passport yet I wasn't planning on getting one for her. My name on her birth certificate matches her last name as it states me as her mother of course. However on my passport my last name is different.. If I remember correctly when we went to the miami port last time.. No children with me then. That was the only time the lady looked at my passport until time to return at the end of the cruise going through customs. We are leaving out of miami port and going to the bahamas.. Is there anything I should do just to be on the safe side. It would really suck to pay all this money just to have problems. Do I have anything to worry about? How strict are customs?

Thanks

I have no experience with this situation but I have taken 2 groups of girls on cruises. Carnival advised me to get notarized permission from both parents. If Mom was going then just Dad. I have taken them but no one ever asked to see them. It doesn't cost anything because any bank has notaries but it might make you feel better.

I am a single mom as well and also do not share my childrens last name. My TA advised me that I should have a notarized letter from their father stating that I could travel with them. She sent me a standard form letter that is used.

I have traveled many times with my kids and never been asked to produce any documentation but I did feel better having it with me.

They often don't even ask, but they could, so to be fully prepared you should bring:

Your passport

DD Birth certificate

Proof of your name change from 'Mommie Name' to your current name

Notarized permission from Dad to take DD on the cruise

You must have the first two, the second two will depend on how much you appear to be a kidnapper and how particular (or perhaps new to the job) the check in clerk is.

You said you're going overseas, so she'll need a passport anyway.

I have absolutely no recollection of the whole process, as my daughter has my last name (I've been a single mom from Day One), and she's had a passport since she was two. She's now 22!

Check the Dept of State website. I'm sure they deal with this sort of thing all the time. If her BC has her legal name, I don't know why your last name being different would have any bearing on anything, but it might. I'm assuming you have some documentation to show your name change.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

I'm a single mother with sole custody. This is what I can tell you based on my experience -- and I've travelled quite a bit with my son, both domestically and internationally, by car, plane and cruise ship. The laws themselves are actually quite strict, even just crossing state lines, but the enforcement is basically at the discretion of the carriers, i.e. the airlines, cruise lines, etc. (U.S. Customs and Immigrations generally only see you at the end of the trip when you're returning to the country.)

I changed my name back to my maiden name when I divorced so my son and I have different last names. You don't say how old your daughter is but the different name issue disappeared for us as soon as my son could identify me as his mother. (Instead of asking me for documentation, they would just ask my son "Who is this?" and when he answered "My Mom", that was always good enough.)

You're technically required to have proof of sole custody or a notarized letter of permission from the other parent to take a minor child out of the country. Most of the time, you will just be verbally asked if you have permission and won't be asked for proof but you should definitely have it with you. If you and your ex get along, it will be simple to get a notarized letter.

As others have said, I would recommend that you get a passport for your daughter. Children's passports are good for 5 years and require that BOTH parents (unless you have sole custody) AND the child appear IN PERSON at a passport office each time (for renewals as well.) To travel internationally, you will still need the notarized permission or proof of sole custody even if the child has a valid passport.

I'm a single mother with sole custody. This is what I can tell you based on my experience -- and I've travelled quite a bit with my son, both domestically and internationally, by car, plane and cruise ship. The laws themselves are actually quite strict, even just crossing state lines, but the enforcement is basically at the discretion of the carriers, i.e. the airlines, cruise lines, etc. (U.S. Customs and Immigrations generally only see you at the end of the trip when you're returning to the country.)

I changed my name back to my maiden name when I divorced so my son and I have different last names. You don't say how old your daughter is but the different name issue disappeared for us as soon as my son could identify me as his mother. (Instead of asking me for documentation, they would just ask my son "Who is this?" and when he answered "My Mom", that was always good enough.)

You're technically required to have proof of sole custody or a notarized letter of permission from the other parent to take a minor child out of the country. Most of the time, you will just be verbally asked if you have permission and won't be asked for proof but you should definitely have it with you. If you and your ex get along, it will be simple to get a notarized letter.

As others have said, I would recommend that you get a passport for your daughter. Children's passports are good for 5 years and require that BOTH parents (unless you have sole custody) AND the child appear IN PERSON at a passport office each time (for renewals as well.) To travel internationally, you will still need the notarized permission or proof of sole custody even if the child has a valid passport.

The prior post is 100% correct. I may add that for the price and given your selected place of travel, you obtain a Passport Card. Please refer to the following link:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

The only pitfall is that these do not support air travel.

I was a single mother for a long time and the only place I was required to show a notarized authorization by their father to take them out of the country was in Mexico. Actually, Delta asked for it before we got on the plane in Boston back in 2004. We've traveled to 5 different countries outside the US and our last names are different because I got remarried. However, I have always gotten their father's authorization notarized just in case...better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Like I said, the only time I have ever been asked for it is going to Mexico. Shouldn't be a problem if you and your ex are on good terms.

Just as a clarification, you CAN get a passport without the other parent being present as long as you bring a notarized, signed statement of consent from the other party - my ex-husband and I have joint custody and I just did this a few weeks ago. All kids under 16 need this authorization...if you have sole custody and/or can't get the other parent to sign, you would need to bring the statement of consent with legal documentation that you have sole custody or a statement that says why you are unable to obtain the other parent's authorization (all this is on the travel.state.gov. as well as the forms.)

I would definitely go for the passport book option.

Some useful info:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_minor_pregnancy_policy.aspx

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#0

http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/carplanetips/a/crossborders.htm

Just an FYI.

My daughter and I were denied permission to enter Canada a few years back because I did not have written permission from her mother to take her out of the country.

Please ignore those who say it's not a problem cause it didn't happen to them. It may or may not become an issue. Therefore, do everything you can to forego any potential issue.

Passport and documentation is the only way to go to be 100% confident that no issues will arise.

I was a single mother for a long time and the only place I was required to show a notarized authorization by their father to take them out of the country was in Mexico. Actually, Delta asked for it before we got on the plane in Boston back in 2004. We've traveled to 5 different countries outside the US and our last names are different because I got remarried. However, I have always gotten their father's authorization notarized just in case...better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Like I said, the only time I have ever been asked for it is going to Mexico. Shouldn't be a problem if you and your ex are on good terms.

Just as a clarification, you CAN get a passport without the other parent being present as long as you bring a notarized, signed statement of consent from the other party - my ex-husband and I have joint custody and I just did this a few weeks ago. All kids under 16 need this authorization...if you have sole custody and/or can't get the other parent to sign, you would need to bring the statement of consent with legal documentation that you have sole custody or a statement that says why you are unable to obtain the other parent's authorization (all this is on the travel.state.gov. as well as the forms.)

I would definitely go for the passport book option.

Yup. In Mexico it is required to show documentation if you are visiting the country for a period of more than 24 hours. Cruises often avoid this due to international seas. I absolutely agree with this post. Better to be safe than sorry!

The "rule" is in place not to prove that you are the parent but rather to help prevent family kidnapping. so it really (according to the reasons it is in place) has nothing to do with the child being able to identify you as a parent or not.

This is the same reason that having both parents authorize a pasport for a child under a certain age in in place.....to try to avoid one parent running off with the child.

If you have sole LEGAL custody than you are OK but you should carry the documentaion with you. Any leagl documentaion - court order, notarized letter, death certificate - should be carried with you just in case.

The reason the different last name comes into play is because it kicks up a red flag.

• 6 months later...

If you are a single parent AND the only one on the birth certificate, you do not need to get a notorized letter ffrom the absent parent.

Q. What documentation will I need for my international travel?

A. Documentation Requirements for US Citizens Traveling to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean:

Visas are not required for U.S. tourists entering Canada, Mexico or most Caribbean islands from the U.S. for stays up to 180 days. You will, however, need (1) proof of your U.S. citizenship such as (a) your U.S. passport or (b) your certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued photo identification. (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with your Marathon Travel consultant). If you are a naturalized citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver's license or Social Security card is not valid proof of citizenship. All U.S. citizens entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport. Alien permanent residents of the U.S. must present their Alien Registration Card, commonly called the "Green Card." If you have dual citizenship you should always present yourself as a citizen of the country that you are entering.

Any name changes due to marriage, adoption, divorce, etc. must be explained by providing a certified copy of the document authorizing the name change such as marriage license or divorce decree.

For further information on entry requirements travelers may reference http://www.travel.state.gov or contact your Marathon Travel consultant.

Documentation Requirements for Other International Travel

Most countries not listed above will require a passport and possibly a visa. Please refer to http://www.travel.state.gov or your Marathon Travel consultant for further information.

Will additional documentation be necessary if my child is traveling internationally alone or with only one parent?

International Travel with Minors (Including Canada & Mexico)

Due to international concern over child abduction, single parents, grandparents, or guardians traveling with children often need proof of custody or notarized letters from the other parent authorizing travel. (This is in addition to proof of citizenship as explained above.) For further information on entry requirements travelers may reference www.travel.state.gov or contact your Marathon Travel consultant.

If a minor child is traveling with only one parent, the absent parent must provide notarized consent. If only one parent has legal custody, that parent should be prepared to provide a court order of child custody to airlines and international authorities.

If a minor child is traveling alone or in someone else's company, both parents (and the sole, documented custodial parent) must provide notarized consent. Please click here for a sample document providing the required consent.

If a child traveling has a different last name from the mother and/or father, the parents should be prepared to provide evidence to airlines and official authorities, such as a birth certificate or adoption decree, to prove that they are the parents.

If one parent is deceased, a death certificate is required.

If the birth certificate shows that the minor only has one parent, it will be sufficient to hold only a notarized copy of the birth certificate.

This was found at : http://www.marathoncorporate.com/faq.html

If you and child have the same last name, no one will ask questions.

NOT TRUE.

I have the same last name as my son and was asked for the paperwork before going on a flight to Mexico. Unfortunately, I left my sole custody paperwork @ home and was denied boarding.

That said, cruise travel is not as stringent about the paperwork as airlines, but it's better not to take the chance. IMO, traveling with a minor who has a passport is a lot easier then having to produce a BC.

EXCELLENT response.

Archived