Can I make a 10:51am flight from MIA

kel24

Don't do it. Way too early

When it comes to flight times, I tend to play it safe. So when people ask a question like yours, on this message board, I'm usually appalled at the early fight times that some posters think are just fine. So when you see several posters (like these) warn you that your flight may be too early, please believe them. They are likely understating the situation.

For what it's worth, we have twice nearly missed our post cruise flights out of MIA that were scheduled for 1:15 pm. (admittedly not doing the carry-it-yourself debarkation, but did have the earlier call color tags.) We've found MIA to have one of the most convoluted, time consuming security systems of any airport that we've encountered.

Good luck.

Would I be able to make a 10:51am flight off Majesty in Feb if we dock at 7? I could check in the night before and do carry on if necessary.

You MIGHT be able to make it, if everything moves smoothly. However, Feb. is super busy with cruisers. And everyone one will be trying to catch flights. So there will be lines, where ever you go.

Generally if your flight was 11:15 or later, I'd say, ok try it. But this one is close. If you can stand the stress of standing still when you have to move quickly, go for it. Personally the last thing I want to do when arriving at the home port is hurry and worry. I enjoy being one of the last off the ship and just mozey to the airport. The expressions of stress in those customs lines while people worry if they'll make a flight is actually painful to see.

By the way...docking at 7:00 doens't neccessarily mean you will be off the ship before 8:00.

Ok our ship arrives at 8am in FLL adn we have a flight at 11:25 in Miami!! Waht do you think?? We have already bought the airfare.

Not sure what to say on this. If you asked before you purchased the airfare I would not have recommended this.

You need to be one of the first off the ship and you should have a car waiting for you.

Keith

Ok our ship arrives at 8am in FLL adn we have a flight at 11:25 in Miami!! Waht do you think?? We have already bought the airfare.

Well there's nothing to say if you've purchased the tickets and don't want to pay fees to change them. You need to be well planned and for sure be ready to carry your bags off at first call. You have to remember that all the crusiers from Miami are heading to the airport too. Hope you aren't cruising during peak winter cruise season. Good luck!

Would I be able to make a 10:51am flight off Majesty in Feb if we dock at 7? I could check in the night before and do carry on if necessary.

We were on the Majesty on July the 4th. thru July 7th., and did not get off the ship until around 9:45 a.m. (Seems like most everyone wanted to do self-debark, we did regular debark instead). To me a flight from MIA before 11:30 a.m. is just too close a call.

If you book the airfare and transportation with the cruise line as a package with the cruise, then you don't have to worry as much about missing your flight since it would be their responsibility to get you to the flight on time.

However, if you book separately as most people do, then the airline doesn't usually care about the cruise line's transportation problems - late, hurricane, etc. If your ticket is non-transferable, you could be stuck paying for a new ticket if you're late.

Check with the airline to make sure what would happen if you missed your flight and whether you have to notify them in advance. Sometimes the ticket will state that you have to change it before the flight departs - so don't show up late without calling and changing the reservation first.

If you book the airfare and transportation with the cruise line as a package with the cruise, then you don't have to worry as much about missing your flight since it would be their responsibility to get you to the flight on time.

t.

NOT TRUE! Just because you book with the cruise line, you don't get special "handling". An airline is Not going to hold a flight for a few cruisers who might have taken their time or got a late start leaving the ship. And if customs is slow to accept the ship at the pier, why would the airline be accountable to wait for passengers?

The same is true when boarding. The ship will not wait for a few paseengers, whether the air was booked by them or not. The ship has a schedule to keep. If a flight is delayed, the ship moves on and will help advise those missing passengers how to get to the first port. That's it.

That's why if you DO book air with a cruiseline, they will book you on the afternoon flights when headed home. They aren't going to held accountable for missing flights.

NOT TRUE! Just because you book with the cruise line, you don't get special "handling". An airline is Not going to hold a flight for a few cruisers who might have taken their time or got a late start leaving the ship. And if customs is slow to accept the ship at the pier, why would the airline be accountable to wait for passengers?

The same is true when boarding. The ship will not wait for a few paseengers, whether the air was booked by them or not. The ship has a schedule to keep. If a flight is delayed, the ship moves on and will help advise those missing passengers how to get to the first port. That's it.

That's why if you DO book air with a cruiseline, they will book you on the afternoon flights when headed home. They aren't going to held accountable for missing flights.

I didn't say that the airline was going to hold the aircraft for anyone. I said that it was the cruise line's responsibility to get you there on time. If they don't, then they are still responsible for getting you on another flight home.

As far as the ship departure, my mistake - you're correct that they won't hold the ship. However, they will arrange transportation if you packaged everything with them. Otherwise you're on your own.

Ok so if we are not going to make it call the airlines and tell them that we will be late. Maybe they can put us on standby or what ever it is called and we might be able to catch next flight out!! I have the airlines number in my cell phone just incase this happens.

Ok so if we are not going to make it call the airlines and tell them that we will be late. Maybe they can put us on standby or what ever it is called and we might be able to catch next flight out!! I have the airlines number in my cell phone just incase this happens.

I am not sure how often that you fly, but most flights are completely sold out. Airlines continue to cut back flights with the goal of filling up each and everyone of them.

Keith

You should still check your options with the airline before your trip.

Yes, the flights are heavily booked and it could take a while to catch another flight. However, they do plan for this. They also have agreements with each other and will try their best to get you on another plane - even if it isn't one of theirs.

All of this depends on knowing beforehand, the type of ticket that you have, your options and what the airline expects from you if there is a problem.

why do you even CARE what anyone thinks..you already bought the ticket! If you don't make it I will not feel sorry for you at all.

You are so smart. I hate it when people ask for an opinion when they've already made up their mind what to do.

ditto about miami and security..I've seen everything happen at that port and then some..even a traffic accident at the entry of the port can screw everything up for everyone.

Don't do it. Way too early

When it comes to flight times, I tend to play it safe. So when people ask a question like yours, on this message board, I'm usually appalled at the early fight times that some posters think are just fine. So when you see several posters (like these) warn you that your flight may be too early, please believe them. They are likely understating the situation.

For what it's worth, we have twice nearly missed our post cruise flights out of MIA that were scheduled for 1:15 pm. (admittedly not doing the carry-it-yourself debarkation, but did have the earlier call color tags.) We've found MIA to have one of the most convoluted, time consuming security systems of any airport that we've encountered.

Good luck.

If you have to worry and think so hard about what to do if you miss the flight, why not bite the bullet, pay the change fee to the airline and book a later flight? You will be in Miami, with thousands of people trying to get home from a cruise. Full planes! Make the change now and rest in peace knowing you aren't going to be standing around waiting for some seats to open on a flight to anywhere!

Nowadays, regular fliers know that airlines don't prepare for people wanting to get on a different flight out, like someone mentioned. Airlines deal happily with passengers that have arrived on time, meet luggage standards, pass security etc. They are not too anxious to make your life easier if you planned poorly and missed a flight. Sorry that's the facts at today's airports. See it all the time.

You should still check your options with the airline before your trip.

Yes, the flights are heavily booked and it could take a while to catch another flight. However, they do plan for this. They also have agreements with each other and will try their best to get you on another plane - even if it isn't one of theirs.

All of this depends on knowing beforehand, the type of ticket that you have, your options and what the airline expects from you if there is a problem.

Your advice is faulty. If they miss the flight, the airline has absolutely no responsibility to put them onto another flight even on their own airline, and especially not on another carrier. Most airlines will allow you to fly on a later flight on their airline and it used to be most had something called a flat tire rule so wouldn't charge you for the later flight. The flat tire rule is slowly disappearing though and it is not unlikely that if you miss your flight, you will be required to buy a completely new ticket for a later flight at last minute, walk-up prices.

Your advice is faulty. If they miss the flight, the airline has absolutely no responsibility to put them onto another flight even on their own airline, and especially not on another carrier. Most airlines will allow you to fly on a later flight on their airline and it used to be most had something called a flat tire rule so wouldn't charge you for the later flight. The flat tire rule is slowly disappearing though and it is not unlikely that if you miss your flight, you will be required to buy a completely new ticket for a later flight at last minute, walk-up prices.

YUP! And carriers like Southwest and jetBlue do NOT have interline agreements and will rarely, if ever put you on another carrier..(actually when that TV show 'airline' was on-about southwest, there was ONE time when they put a person on another carrier...can't remember the circumstances but it was like for a wedding or funeral and all the SW flights that would have gotten the pax there on time were canceled!)

flights are so packed, and agents are so stressed that there is a slim to no chance of getting on another. i took a voluntary bump on SW (got a sweet deal) and the next flight i was able to get a confirmed seat on was like 4 hours later......like i said, i got a sweet deal!)

in prime cruise season, i would say it is hard to book anything before say 1 PM..later if you are going from FLL to MIA or vice versa...ever seen FLL or MIA in Feb with 9 ships in one port and 4-6 in the other???? think times square on New Years eve!

I have been put on another airline but, that was when my missed flight was the airline's fault - my mistake again. I've made a couple of mistakes in my posts so, no more advice from me on this topic.

I hope that we're all in agreement that it's best to not schedule a flight within a few hours of the ship's arrival or departure and that the original poster should see if they can change to a later flight as eandj suggested?

You know Gathina I don't give a monkey's butt what you think!!!!!:mad: I bought the ticket and didn't even think about the timing. Yes that was my fault!!!! If I didn't want advice I wouldn't of asked!!!! I now can see why other stop posting on here because of people like YOU!!!! The airlines don't have to do anything but I did call them and they said to call ahead so get off my butt!!!!!!!!!! And start jumping on somebody else's because it seems that's what you do best. For those of you that did give me advise thanks. I know I shouldn't of bought the tickets but its over now and I will look into buy one-way tickets back. I'll just use the tickets for another date.

Archived