Feeling disappointed

seagurll

I just read the latest Mariner review posted by Bionicman97 and was disappointed to read that he said there was a charge for Seattles Best coffee and no gala buffet. I was on Mariner in May 2007 and we didn't pay for Seattles and we DID have gala buffet. I enjoyed both and this year I have talked several family memebers into joining me on another Mariner cruise (Oct. 5th 2008 ), this being their first cruise. Kinda sad to read that. Can any out there that can ( in a nice way )dispute this info?

from what I have read recently, I think the regular brew of coffee is free from Seattle's Best. The other selections are not free. And I too have been reading that that Gala Buffet is done away with. Any verification from recent sailors would be appreciated. Travelling on the Mariner too soon.

As much as I would like to say that it is not true, I believe it is true. We were on the Voyageur in March and will be on the Adventurer in little over a week :D. On the VOS in March there was no late night feeding of any kind and the fancy coffee was sold at the promenade cafe along with Ben & Jerry ice cream. RCCL is cutting back in just about every place they feel they can get away with without losing pax. Sorry for the bad news.

We were on the 8/17 Mariner sailing. The regular Seattle's Best coffee is still free. Specialty coffees (Lattes, Mochas, etc.) are not free. I seem to remember that a couple of years ago, after dinner specialty coffees were free in the dining room only. That is no longer true.

There was no gala midnight buffet on our sailing. According to a discussion with a CD earlier this year, Royal Caribbean is doing away with the gala midnight buffet because the interest in it was waning, and a lot of food was going to waste.

We did have one late evening (11:00pm or later) themed buffet in the pool area. There was plenty of good food, but it was not the elaborate show that the midnight buffet used to be.

Jeff

I'm sorry you're bummed, but honestly these sound like very small things to me, though I get so tired of eating on a cruise that a gala buffet doesn't thrill me anyhow. Whatever happens, your first time cruiser relatives will have a wonderful time, as will you.

There is no longer a midnight buffet. There is though a Caribbean night buffet which is not like the old midnight buffet. Too much food was being wasted so RCI did away with the regular one. I also believe that RCI is not the only line doing so.

As far as Seattles Best, I believe the coffee in the Promenade Cafe is still free, but right next to the cafe and between the cafe and Ben and Jerry's is a little counter that sells Seattles Best fancy coffee drinks. If you go inside the cafe to the rear, you should still be able to get the free ones, just as you could previously. That part, to my knowledge, hasn't changed.

We are going on Mariner next month and I know if I want to get a frozen coffee or any fancy coffee drink, I will have to pay for it just as I have before. But, to get a coffee to go with my cookie in the afternon, I will still get the free one.

I haven't seen any posts that have said the free coffee in the rear is gone. I think that the review you read was about the coffee next to Ben and Jerry's.

Thanks all. I'm okay with the changes . I think I was just feeling disappointed for my 1st time cruisers. I also can believe that food is going to waste on gala buffets because we always go and take pics but i don't think we have ever eaten it. Now i feel somewhat quilty that is was passengers like me not eating causing it to go to waste !!. We all understand economic cutbacks.

Just off the Mariner on Sun. No gala buffet, Seatles best still served in dining rooms. I don't know what the coffee is at the Promenade bar, charge there. The coffee in the dining room was some of the best I have ever had so I didn't bother wth the stuff they charged for.There is so much going on ,like the great ice show, that we never thought about a gala.The coffee, tea, hot chocolate is free 24 hours in the Promenade cafe.

Thanks all. I'm okay with the changes . I think I was just feeling disappointed for my 1st time cruisers. I also can believe that food is going to waste on gala buffets because we always go and take pics but i don't think we have ever eaten it. Now i feel somewhat quilty that is was passengers like me not eating causing it to go to waste !!. We all understand economic cutbacks.

I understand what you are saying. My parents are going on their first 7 nt. cruise in December. I'm a little sad they won't get to experience the Gala buffet. It is so grand and such a sight to behold! However, I completely understand RCI doing away with it. I'm sure it is a huge waste of food (and money). If that helps keep the cost of cruising down some, then by all means....

Two weeks off FOS - no gala buffet, no Caribbean buffet, a charge for specialty coffees from Seattle's Best. Also, if you haven't been following the boards of late, on FOS there was a $4.95 charge for fresh-squeezed oj at breakfast (oj from concentrate available at no charge) and a $14.95 charge for a Chops-quality steak at dinner in the main dining room which replaces the heretofore no charge steak alternative. Things aren't what they used to be - cruising or otherwise.

Princess did away with the fancy buffets a long time ago. I always thought they were more for looks, anyway. Ice sculptures, etc. Standing in line just to see the pretty food. :rolleyes: BUT, one thing I LOVE about Princess is their Horizon Court Buffet on the Lido deck which is open 24/7. They have REAL food and it's delicious, especially if you want a "little snack" (or BIG one) at midnight or later.... Nothing fancy about it, but there also isn't a long line and the food is edible and not just for taking photos. :p They do have themes, so you might find some ice sculptures placed here and there. But, again, not like you would see at a Gala Buffet.

This is the one thing I'll miss when we sail on the Mariner next April---the ability to stop by the Horizon Court for a late-night supper or snack. I know the Promenade Cafe will be open. But, they don't have the entrees and full-on food that the Horizon Court offers. Well, I really don't need another MEAL, anyway, right?! ;) But, a plateful of ice cold shrimp dipped in cocktail sauce is to die for after a late show. Or the hot, crispy version of shrimp dipped in the same sauce.....okay, now I'm getting hungry.

In addition to the Caribbean-themed late night buffet on Brilliance last March, we also had a late night desert buffet.

Fortunately, we had early seating dinner, so were ready for a snack that late. We did see plenty of food being thrown away, however. Such a shame.

I just off the Vision of the Seas and yes there is no more gala midnight buffet. However, late night Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Salads, Pizza and desserts was available at the indoor pool area so If you were hunger there was something to eat. Less face it...who really eats a huge meal after midnight. Yes, it pretty and all, but such a waste. With food and gas price so high I can see why it was discontinued. They did had one night with a island deck party and buffet around 10PM and they also can around with fancy snacks up at the Viking Crown Lounge late at night. Nice touch. Also, the dining entrees in my opinion were pretty large. I got plenty to eat.

Maybe I missed something, but we had to pay for reg coffee at Seattle's Best on our Enchantment, Empress and most recently Sovereign. Was the coffee supposed to be free!!???:confused:

And yes, it was just reg coffee, no syrups, ice, (read nothing special) coffee. Please let me know b4 I spend for coffee on my next Liberty cruise.

We were on the Mariner the week of 8/31/08. Yes, still free (and really good) coffee at the Promenade Cafe. The little sandwiches there were really good and there are desserts, pizza and cookies. I think any first timer will still find plenty to be amazed at and will have a wonderful time. Top sirlion steaks were always available at no charge in the dining room and were good. This was our 10th cruise on RCI and we did notice a decline in the quality of the food. But we got plenty to eat and had a wonderful time even with TS Hanna joining us one day.

I really wish they would change some of the shows and games. I remember the first time seeing Quest. I laughed until I had tears rolling down my face. This time it wasn't worth going to. Be sure and see the Ice Skating Show. It was wonderful!

I am totally okay with RCCL doing away with the midnight buffets. We were always so stuffed at midnight and so busy with our parties, etc. that we never went to them.

I am good with a place to get a cookie or cakes and my pizza or sammies late at night, on that fun crawl back to the cabin.

Maybe I missed something, but we had to pay for reg coffee at Seattle's Best on our Enchantment, Empress and most recently Sovereign. Was the coffee supposed to be free!!???:confused:

And yes, it was just reg coffee, no syrups, ice, (read nothing special) coffee. Please let me know b4 I spend for coffee on my next Liberty cruise.

I think I've previously read here that regular/decaf Seattle's Best coffee is available in the Cafe Promanade at no extra cost on Voyager and Freedom class ships. There is however an extra charge for drinks made at the espresso bar, such as latte, espresso, mochas, etc. It is my recollection that they charge for all Seattles Best coffee on the other classes, but someone who has been on all the different classes will know for sure.

We didn't have the Gala buffet on the Legend in June, but we had a gala brunch on a sea day, which was quite nice, and included several of the specialties that had been available at the Gala midnight buffet. I think there was midnight buffet by the pool one night, but we didn't go.

If you go up to the Seattle's Best counter and order a regular coffee, you will be charged. If you go to the coffee station in the cafe promenade and serve yourself a regular coffee, it is free and it is also Seattle's Best, you just are serving yourself instead of ordering it at the counter.

If you go up to the Seattle's Best counter and order a regular coffee, you will be charged. If you go to the coffee station in the cafe promenade and serve yourself a regular coffee, it is free and it is also Seattle's Best, you just are serving yourself instead of ordering it at the counter.

oh my goodness they charge at the counter for the same freakin coffe! thats nuts! i personally dont mind things coming and going like the buffet, although i liked the pics, but i dont agree with all the extra charges- its suppose to be all inclusive for a reason and people are coming to accept the "extra charges" and are ok with it. i am really not that ok with it. on carnival a few years ago we were charged for any extras that were similar to the promenade cafe food- little desserts and drinks and sadwiches..then we went on rccl and couldnt believe we didnt have to pay for that stuff-- but we really shouldnt have to in the 1st place. whe you pay thousands of $$ for you and your guests it should be FREE--PAID and ALL INLCUSIVE dont you think?

btw- hi mom, nice thread you started! xoxox

oh my goodness they charge at the counter for the same freakin coffe! thats nuts! i personally dont mind things coming and going like the buffet, although i liked the pics, but i dont agree with all the extra charges- its suppose to be all inclusive for a reason and people are coming to accept the "extra charges" and are ok with it. i am really not that ok with it. on carnival a few years ago we were charged for any extras that were similar to the promenade cafe food- little desserts and drinks and sadwiches..then we went on rccl and couldnt believe we didnt have to pay for that stuff-- but we really shouldnt have to in the 1st place. whe you pay thousands of $$ for you and your guests it should be FREE--PAID and ALL INLCUSIVE dont you think?

Somehow, I think you got the wrong impression of a cruise.. It has never been an all-inclusive. There have always been extra charges. (At least for the 28 years I have been cruising.)

Archived