Measuring luggage....

Grits53

When you measure a piece of luggage so as to stay within the airline's size limit, do you include the wheels and plastic "stands" at the bottom in your measurement? Probably a dumb question, but it makes a difference in whether or not my carry on is "legal".

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the replies, although it wasn't what I had hoped to hear! This means I can't take my favorite carry on. It has a special place for my laptop and is perfect as a carry on...but this makes it an inch or so too big. Darn it!

For an inch, I would chance it. Worst case is they gate check it. You should see of the stuff people try to take on, and which the airline lets them.

Personally, I would not chance it. The poster indicates the bag has a special place for his/her laptop ... and I certainly would not want to gate check my laptop. Too much chance for the laptop to get damaged or go missing.

Personally, I would not chance it. The poster indicates the bag has a special place for his/her laptop ... and I certainly would not want to gate check my laptop. Too much chance for the laptop to get damaged or go missing.

Gate checking is not the same as 'real checking', he could always pull the laptop out at the door of the plane and walk on with just that.

My carry on exceeds by just the handle (about an inch). I realize I am taking a chance and am always willing to check if necessary. It fits fine in the overhead and so far I've never been refused. In fact, this is all I usually bring. I even did a two week Hawaii holiday with it and I was fine.

I know what the rules are, and I don't always drive exactly 65 mph either.

Reading this thread, I decided to check our carryons for size - we each have one roll suitcase but I find that they are a couple of inches over the 22" height limit - However, we did a round trip sacramento to NY & back last year and no one said a thing. We will be flying to LA next week for our cruise and now I'm concerned - IF they won't let us use these suitcases and I have to check them, I presume we will EACH get one free suitcase, and also can we lock the luggage?

Archived