Scotland for a week

redzin

We have 11 months to ponder this. England is beautiful and we could remain there, however, we don't get to Europe often and will probably never visit Scotland or Ireland so I considered visiting one of these countries. So what would your dream week be if you had an extra 6 days overseas from London. Rona

I'd definitely consider driving around England and then maybe taking a hire car through the Eurotunnel and seeing Paris and some of Northern France. Normandy is well within range from Calais. I believe that Scotland has some nice scenery, but I'm not sure what else is there. Seems a long way to go to just look at some hills. Maybe I'm being unkind, but it's not a place that appeals much to me. If you've got Scottish ancestry then maybe it would be interesting to see where they emigrated from. If you'd like any info on interesting places to see in England or France, then just ask.:)

I'd definitely consider driving around England and then maybe taking a hire car through the Eurotunnel and seeing Paris and some of Northern France. Normandy is well within range from Calais. I believe that Scotland has some nice scenery, but I'm not sure what else is there. Seems a long way to go to just look at some hills. Maybe I'm being unkind, but it's not a place that appeals much to me. If you've got Scottish ancestry then maybe it would be interesting to see where they emigrated from. If you'd like any info on interesting places to see in England or France, then just ask.:)

I all my years of reading the CC boards, I think this is the most stupid reply I have ever read.

Without listing the endless attractions of Scotland (the tourist board website is there for that), I can assure Towncar that there is just a bit more to my country than 'just a few hills'!

I all my years of reading the CC boards, I think this is the most stupid reply I have ever read.

Without listing the endless attractions of Scotland (the tourist board website is there for that), I can assure Towncar that there is just a bit more to my country than 'just a few hills'!

Well pardon me for being stupid. ;)... Isn't there a song or something that goes on about a 'wee bit hill and glen' Not to worry, I'm sure it's all very nice and lovely up there.:)

Scottie99,

You actually beat me to it with your reply. This person (I didn't want to be rude) has obviously never visited Scotland with such stupid crass remarks. Before he accuses me of anything I have many English friends that I have met through cruising and have been all over England and Wales and know that England isnt all about Beefeaters and Morris dancers.

We did the London, Paris and Edinburgh thing late April this year, and by far, we liked Scotland the best. Although each area has it really good things to see and do, the countryside views from the trains in Scotland were amazing ( to a Floridian anyway) We didn't hire a car, but had two full days in Edinburgh, and wish now that we had stayed longer there.

As for getting to Scotland from London, well, I would vote for the train. My daughter is on assignment in Sheffield, UK and even after a year or so of driving, with a GPS unit and lot of circling, still prefers trains. A GPS is a must for anyone hiring a car unless you want to stop and check the maps quite a bit...

jw:cool:

Scottie99,

You actually beat me to it with your reply. This person (I didn't want to be rude) has obviously never visited Scotland with such stupid crass remarks. Before he accuses me of anything I have many English friends that I have met through cruising and have been all over England and Wales and know that England isnt all about Beefeaters and Morris dancers.

Sorry, but both you ladies are out of order posting personal insults in this thread. What I said was that Scotland doesn't appeal much to me and that as far as I'm aware there is some nice scenery, but not much else. Perhaps there is more up there than I think and you are entitled to correct me, but I am neither stupid nor taken in by your thinly-disguised resentment. Did I suggest that Scotland is all about deep-fried Mars Bars, alcohol abuse and tossing cabers? I don't think so.

This thread is meant to help a traveller from overseas to plan an interesting itinerary after arriving in Southampton, almost the most southern part of England. I think an itinerary covering say England and Wales or even France would be infinitely more interesting and a better use of scarce time than one involving a trip to the northern reaches of this island. You have a different view and that's OK. Just cut out the insults and get back on topic. Persuade the lady why a week spent in Scotland would be a week well spent and forget about insulting me just because you don't like my flag.

We did the London, Paris and Edinburgh thing late April this year, and by far, we liked Scotland the best. Although each area has it really good things to see and do, the countryside views from the trains in Scotland were amazing ( to a Floridian anyway) We didn't hire a car, but had two full days in Edinburgh, and wish now that we had stayed longer there.

As for getting to Scotland from London, well, I would vote for the train. My daughter is on assignment in Sheffield, UK and even after a year or so of driving, with a GPS unit and lot of circling, still prefers trains. A GPS is a must for anyone hiring a car unless you want to stop and check the maps quite a bit...

jw:cool:

Going any distance over here is best by train between the big cities, but it gets difficult going to the smaller towns and cities. London to Edinburgh would be far easier by train and mass transit is far more popular here than the States, where distances are much greater.

Judging by your screen name I'd guess you are in Jacksonville. We have friends in Orange Park. The husband is in the US Navy and works at one of the big bases in Jacksonville. They are big fans of the Jags. One of my favourite restaurants anywhere is Clark's Fish Camp. It was amazing to eat dinne while the alligators watched us with just their eyes peeping out of the water. We drove there from Ocoee just to have the fish platter and onion rings. Waaaayyyy too much food on one plate!!

Sorry, but both you ladies are out of order posting personal insults in this thread. What I said was that Scotland doesn't appeal much to me and that as far as I'm aware there is some nice scenery, but not much else. Perhaps there is more up there than I think and you are entitled to correct me, but I am neither stupid nor taken in by your thinly-disguised resentment. Did I suggest that Scotland is all about deep-fried Mars Bars, alcohol abuse and tossing cabers? I don't think so.

This thread is meant to help a traveller from overseas to plan an interesting itinerary after arriving in Southampton, almost the most southern part of England. I think an itinerary covering say England and Wales or even France would be infinitely more interesting and a better use of scarce time than one involving a trip to the northern reaches of this island. You have a different view and that's OK. Just cut out the insults and get back on topic. Persuade the lady why a week spent in Scotland would be a week well spent and forget about insulting me just because you don't like my flag.

I think if you actually read our posts you will see there is not a trace of personal insults.

The only point we make is our objections to your ignorance of the attractions of Scotland.

I fully accept there are many areas of England worth visiting (my wife is English) and I love visiting France (been there countless time, love the culture, food, wine etc ((not sure about the people!)) (JOKE!) , but you are the one who is dismissing Scotland .

I imagine most of the 2 million tourists (source- BBC news) who visited last year would disagree with you.

I think if you actually read our posts you will see there is not a trace of personal insults.

The only point we make is our objections to your ignorance of the attractions of Scotland.

I fully accept there are many areas of England worth visiting (my wife is English) and I love visiting France (been there countless time, love the culture, food, wine etc ((not sure about the people!)) (JOKE!) , but you are the one who is dismissing Scotland .

I imagine most of the 2 million tourists (source- BBC news) who visited last year would disagree with you.

I read your posts and regard words like stupid and crass as insults. I'm leaving it there. :mad: But perhaps as a post-script, you might be interested to know that your figure of two million tourists per annum to Scotland is interesting. That's approximately one fifth of the number that visits Blackpool!!!

www.neighbourhood.gov.uk/displaypagedoc.asp?id=1857

Yes, will leave it there and agree to disagree, but I must say if you use Blackpool as a yardstick in a comparison factor in considering tourst attractions, I now realise now why you could never appreciate the qualities of Scotland.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for raising this again, but I thought that the people who are unsure of the attractions of Scotland may be interested in this article i have pasted from the BBC news site

Glasgow in 'top 10 world cities'

Glasgow was the only UK city to feature in the top 10

Glasgow has made it into a list of 10 top world cities compiled by the travel guide company Lonely Planet.

Scotland's largest city was the only UK entry on the list, which appears in the firm's Best In Travel 2009 publication.

The guide states: "Forget castles, kilts, bagpipes and tartan. You come for the cocktails, cuisine and designer chic (plus the legendary native wit)."

"Glasgow has shaken off its shroud of industrial soot and shimmied into a sparkling new designer gown."

Included in the "what's hot" in Glasgow list is actor James McAvoy and pan-fried scallops.

"Defining experiences" include cruising the Clyde by powerboat and "adding your voice to the Hampden roar".

Lonely Planet travel editor Tom Hall said: "The time has come for Lonely Planet to let one of its worst-kept secrets out: Glasgow's got everything.

"We're delighted to highlight such a fun, stylish city."

The other cities in the top 10 were: Antwerp, Beirut, Chicago, Lisbon, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Warsaw and Zurich.

I would definitely avoid driving from London - we live a couple of hundred miles north of London and still find it hard work driving up to the best parts of Scotland. I would fly up to Edinburgh or Glasgow and hire a car there. If you wanted to see the most beautiful part of England (in my humble opinion), fly up to Manchester (there are multiple shuttles from Heathrow per day) and hire a car there and head northwards through the Lake District.

However, Scotland is not to be missed - it is breathtaking in places. Our favourites are the Western Highlands, Mull/Iona and Skye. On the islands, you may encounter many single track roads with passing places (particularly to get to the most spectacular locations), but they are easily negotiable as you can normally see way into the distance to see wht's coming as hedges are not as common as they are in England.

Just hope that the sun shines!

DH & I are planning a week in Scotland post cruise next summer. We plan to stay in Edinburgh and take in the Gathering of the Clans - should be great fun! We would appreciate suggestions for a couple of day trips from Edinburgh as it would be a shame to not see some of the countryside. In addition, we are considering visiting Islay before our return. We would appreciate comments from anyone who has visited there re:what to do & would you recommend this island. Thanks.:)

DH & I are planning a week in Scotland post cruise next summer. We plan to stay in Edinburgh and take in the Gathering of the Clans - should be great fun! We would appreciate suggestions for a couple of day trips from Edinburgh as it would be a shame to not see some of the countryside. In addition, we are considering visiting Islay before our return. We would appreciate comments from anyone who has visited there re:what to do & would you recommend this island. Thanks.:)

If you or your husband are into golf, then a day trip to St Andrews in Fife is an easy day trip from Edinburgh. With regards Islay, although I am Scottish, I am embarrassed nay ashamed to say I've never been. It is famous for its whisky with a number of Distilleries on the island, including the famous Laphroiag and Ardbeg malts. If you get good weather, the scenery on the west coast as Longtonian put it is breathtaking.

Another suggestion very close to Edinburgh would be a visit to Rosslyn Chapel (made extremely fmous in the da vinci Code) but really worthwhile seeing and it's only about 10 miles south of Edinburgh. i agree with the previous poster, St Andrews is a great day trip. A beautiful historic town. if it is scenery you are interested in then the North West coast is stunning. mallaig to kyle of localsh up to Ullapool is a lovely stretch of coastline. Alternatively you could combine a trip to Glasgow with a visit to Loch Lomond. Scotland is very small by North American standards but quite varied, so in a week you could really see a lot.

It's one of my favorite places. There's so much to do, but I like planning my trips around a special event, like this.

I agree, don't drive all the way up to Scotland. Take a train, or fly. I would prefer 10 days in Scotland, but here is a good itinerary for 7 nights:

Day 1 Arrival Arrive at Edinburgh/Glasgow Airport and pick up your self-drive car. Head for your splendid hotel in the Edinburgh area. Enjoy the grandeur of your hotel tonight or travel into Edinburgh.

Day 2 Edinburgh – Royal Deeside You will depart Edinburgh in the direction of Aberdeen. You will visit Scone Palace, the home of the Earl of Mansfield. Scone is a castellated palace, enlarged and embellished in 1803, incorporating the 16th century and earlier palaces. The Moot Hill at Scone was the site of the famous Coronation Stone of Scone (The Stone of Destiny), brought there in the 9th century by Kenneth MacAlpine, King of Scots. In 1296, the Stone was seized by the English and taken to Westminster Abbey. In 1997 the Stone was returned to Scotland and is now in Edinburgh Castle. You will continue through Royal Deeside to Kildrummy. Outside Aberdeen, visit Crathes Castle which has royal historic associations dating from 1323 when the Land of Leys were granted to the Burnett family by Robert the Bruce. The castle features some remarkable late 16th century painted ceilings. There is a large walled garden and the great yew hedges date from 1702 with fascinating examples of topiary.

A-proper-Scottish-tea.jpgDay 3 Royal Deeside - Highlands Travel northwards towards Inverness. In the morning follow the Whisky Trail and visit one of the many famous distilleries in the area. You can visit Glenfiddich, McCallums, Grants, Cardhu and many more. Each gives an audio-visual show and then a guided tour of the distillery to learn of the processes and for many the highlight is a tasting at the end of the tour. The choice of what to see and do in the Speyside area is huge – there are castles – Brodie, Cawdor (made famous by the Shakespeare’s Macbeth), and Ballindalloch. Visit Culloden Moor, site of the last land battle on British soil, wander around Inverness, capital of the Highlands, take the Strathspey Railway from Boat of Garten to Aviemore, watch the Ospreys at Loch Garten. Accommodation in Dingwall.

Day 4 Highlands (Inverewe Gardens) Enjoy a day visiting the West Coast of Scotland. Journey across to Ullapool, a quaint fishing village. Then travel down past the dramatic Corrieshalloch Gorge to the Inverewe Gardens, run by the National Trust for Scotland. These magnificent gardens have a famous rhododendron collection and who would expect to find palm trees in Scotland. Return through the magnificent scenery of the Torridon area and past Loch Maree. Return to Dingwall.

b-sdrv2.jpgDay 5 Highlands (Sutherland) Today begins with a visit to the capital of the Highlands, Inverness before heading for a day trip into the northern highlands. Head for the Kessock Bridge and the Black Isle, in reality a peninsula decked out in a thousand shades of green. A maze of quiet country roads and forest tracks, the area is a delight to explore. It is a naturalist paradise with attractions such as the bird reserves and Munlochy and Udale Bay and the famous dolphins that can be best viewed on cruises from Cromarty. Continue north visiting Dunrobin Castle and Gardens bringing to life the lives through the centuries of the Earls of Sutherland. Here you can enjoy a display of the ancient sport of falconry in the gardens of the castle. Return to Dingwall.

s-ballac.jpgDay 6 Highlands – West Coast Today travel south via Loch Ness. Loch Ness forms part of the Caledonian Canal a feat of some great engineering by Thomas Telford linking East Scotland with West by using a series of lochs linked by a canal system. Make a stop at Urquhart Castle, a very scenic spot and also the place where the most sightings of «Nessie» have been. Continue towards Fort William, which nestles beneath the highest mountain in Great Britain – Ben Nevis. If time allows, why not take a ride up in a gondola at Anoch Mor that on a good day will offer stunning views over the west coast. From Fort William, continue south to Ballachulish.

castle%20venlaw.jpgDay 7 West Coast - Edinburgh You will drive through Glen Coe, the dramatic and historic glen (valley), and scene of the 1692 massacre of part of the MacDonald clan by soldiers of King William. Its steep sided mountains offer super walking and climbing. Red deer, wildcat, golden eagle and rare arctic plants can be seen among the breathtaking peaks and spectacular waterfalls. Travel onto Stirling and visit Stirling Castle, magnificent both in its situation on a commanding rocky outcrop and in its architecture. Of outstanding interest are the Great Hall and the Gatehouse of James IV, the marvellous palace of James V; the Chapel Royal remodelled by James VI, and the artillery fortifications of the 16th and 18th centuries. The castle was a favourite royal residence and the birthplace of James II in 1430. From Stirling continue to Edinburgh.

Day 8 Depart for home.

Sounds like a nice route, but a lot of travel for just 7 days. Inverewe Gardens are amazing, you could spend a good half day there in good weather. Ullapool is very pretty, as is all that area. Not much time in Edinburgh, either.

We spent a whole day driving around the Black Isle, north of Inverness, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
It's one of my favorite places. There's so much to do, but I like planning my trips around a special event, like this.

I agree, don't drive all the way up to Scotland. Take a train, or fly. I would prefer 10 days in Scotland, but here is a good itinerary for 7 nights:

Day 1 Arrival Arrive at Edinburgh/Glasgow Airport and pick up your self-drive car. Head for your splendid hotel in the Edinburgh area. Enjoy the grandeur of your hotel tonight or travel into Edinburgh.

Day 2 Edinburgh – Royal Deeside You will depart Edinburgh in the direction of Aberdeen. You will visit Scone Palace, the home of the Earl of Mansfield. Scone is a castellated palace, enlarged and embellished in 1803, incorporating the 16th century and earlier palaces. The Moot Hill at Scone was the site of the famous Coronation Stone of Scone (The Stone of Destiny), brought there in the 9th century by Kenneth MacAlpine, King of Scots. In 1296, the Stone was seized by the English and taken to Westminster Abbey. In 1997 the Stone was returned to Scotland and is now in Edinburgh Castle. You will continue through Royal Deeside to Kildrummy. Outside Aberdeen, visit Crathes Castle which has royal historic associations dating from 1323 when the Land of Leys were granted to the Burnett family by Robert the Bruce. The castle features some remarkable late 16th century painted ceilings. There is a large walled garden and the great yew hedges date from 1702 with fascinating examples of topiary.

A-proper-Scottish-tea.jpgDay 3 Royal Deeside - Highlands Travel northwards towards Inverness. In the morning follow the Whisky Trail and visit one of the many famous distilleries in the area. You can visit Glenfiddich, McCallums, Grants, Cardhu and many more. Each gives an audio-visual show and then a guided tour of the distillery to learn of the processes and for many the highlight is a tasting at the end of the tour. The choice of what to see and do in the Speyside area is huge – there are castles – Brodie, Cawdor (made famous by the Shakespeare’s Macbeth), and Ballindalloch. Visit Culloden Moor, site of the last land battle on British soil, wander around Inverness, capital of the Highlands, take the Strathspey Railway from Boat of Garten to Aviemore, watch the Ospreys at Loch Garten. Accommodation in Dingwall.

Day 4 Highlands (Inverewe Gardens) Enjoy a day visiting the West Coast of Scotland. Journey across to Ullapool, a quaint fishing village. Then travel down past the dramatic Corrieshalloch Gorge to the Inverewe Gardens, run by the National Trust for Scotland. These magnificent gardens have a famous rhododendron collection and who would expect to find palm trees in Scotland. Return through the magnificent scenery of the Torridon area and past Loch Maree. Return to Dingwall.

b-sdrv2.jpgDay 5 Highlands (Sutherland) Today begins with a visit to the capital of the Highlands, Inverness before heading for a day trip into the northern highlands. Head for the Kessock Bridge and the Black Isle, in reality a peninsula decked out in a thousand shades of green. A maze of quiet country roads and forest tracks, the area is a delight to explore. It is a naturalist paradise with attractions such as the bird reserves and Munlochy and Udale Bay and the famous dolphins that can be best viewed on cruises from Cromarty. Continue north visiting Dunrobin Castle and Gardens bringing to life the lives through the centuries of the Earls of Sutherland. Here you can enjoy a display of the ancient sport of falconry in the gardens of the castle. Return to Dingwall.

s-ballac.jpgDay 6 Highlands – West Coast Today travel south via Loch Ness. Loch Ness forms part of the Caledonian Canal a feat of some great engineering by Thomas Telford linking East Scotland with West by using a series of lochs linked by a canal system. Make a stop at Urquhart Castle, a very scenic spot and also the place where the most sightings of «Nessie» have been. Continue towards Fort William, which nestles beneath the highest mountain in Great Britain – Ben Nevis. If time allows, why not take a ride up in a gondola at Anoch Mor that on a good day will offer stunning views over the west coast. From Fort William, continue south to Ballachulish.

castle%20venlaw.jpgDay 7 West Coast - Edinburgh You will drive through Glen Coe, the dramatic and historic glen (valley), and scene of the 1692 massacre of part of the MacDonald clan by soldiers of King William. Its steep sided mountains offer super walking and climbing. Red deer, wildcat, golden eagle and rare arctic plants can be seen among the breathtaking peaks and spectacular waterfalls. Travel onto Stirling and visit Stirling Castle, magnificent both in its situation on a commanding rocky outcrop and in its architecture. Of outstanding interest are the Great Hall and the Gatehouse of James IV, the marvellous palace of James V; the Chapel Royal remodelled by James VI, and the artillery fortifications of the 16th and 18th centuries. The castle was a favourite royal residence and the birthplace of James II in 1430. From Stirling continue to Edinburgh.

Day 8 Depart for home.

Thank you for promoting my homeland so well. You should work for the Scottish Tourist Board. STB is a great way of finding out where to visit. Opening times etc.

One word of warning. At this moment in time (and going to carry on into next year) it is almost impossible to bring cars into the centre of Edinburgh. We are getting tram lines laid and there are roadworks all over town. It's driving us locals :mad: We have a public transport system which is fine to us.

If you are going to be in Edinburgh during the month of August 2009 I suggest getting yourself on line and goggling Edinburgh Military Tattoo. The tickets go on sale on 10th December 2008 but they sell out real quick. It's a great show - held outside on the esplanade of Edinburgh Castle and is great fun!

I could go on and on about lots of place to visit, things to do.. but I won't bore you! Come and enjoy...

Best wishes, Judi

Please do not think you would be boring us about things to do around Edinburgh -we would be very happy to have suggestions! We will be spending 1 week in Edinburgh (& attending the gathering of the clans) but also want to travel outside of the city. Following, we are planning on spending some time on Islay (to do Scotch tasting among other things!). Please give us any advise re: things to do, sights to see. Many thanks!!:)

Wow what wonderful information you have for this traveler. The more I read the more I know we have to return to Scotland in a year or so.

My suggestion is to see Sterling Castle. It is very accessible by train from Edinburgh and a great way to spend a day.

Thanks..

Now I've had a little time to think about it. Here's a few places I would say you should visit:

Edinburgh Castle - obvious, but well worth a visit.

The Palace of Holyroodhouse - The Queen's official Scottish residence. A lot of people think it's Balmoral in Aberdeenshire and although the Balmoral Estate is owned by the Queen it's a private residence where she holidays. Balmoral/Crathie Kirk is very nice.

Royal Yacht Britannia - now permanently docked in Leith, Edinburgh. Built in Clydebank Scotland in the 50s. Charles and Diana honeymooned on it when they married in the early 80s.

Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre - right beside Edinburgh Castle

There are lots of "Ghost" Tours of Edinburgh and they are really good fun. However, I would suggest a visit to Mary Kings Close.

Someone else mentioned Rosslyn Chapel made famous by the Da Vinci Code. It's beautiful and a short drive from Edinburgh. They do guided tours of the Chapel and explaine everything to you as it is very intricate.

The last thread mentioned Stirling Castle which is very nice and a short train journey from Edinburgh. Mary Queen of Scots was coronated in the Chapel Royal in 1543 and spent most of her childhood there.

Linlithgow Palace - birth place of Mary Queen of Scots (1542).

About 30 minutes drive of Edinburgh (East Lothian) there's the National Museum of Flight - very interesting.

All these place can be googled and the sites will give you opening times, travel directions, entry fees etc.

And of course, no visit to Scotland would be complete without going Nessie Hunting at Loch Ness. She is real you know..:D

Best wishes, Judi

Hi Judi,

Many thanks for taking the time to post all your wonderful suggestions. I will be spending the next bit of time doing lots of web searches! We do have a full week in Edinburgh so should be able to see many of the sites mentioned.

We are now starting to question going to Islay on this holiday. Would love to hear from others who have made the trip and any tips you could give us.

Again, many thanks for your input!!:)

Well we flew to Edinburgh , rented a car there and drove around the scottish borders and northern England.Beautiful.Try Floors castle in Kelso ,had the massed pipe bands in August there, they had a pig roast and the whole village came out, have tours through the castle, and sell their own shorbread, Also Berwick on Tweed is just across the borders, walled city with castles every mile and theere is Holy Island where the Llindisfarne gosepls were written, you travel a causeway.The scottish borders are beutiful and my husbands' family has a namesake wee castle Borthwick Castle where you can stay and go back in time. One of my favorite trips.

Archived