Scotland for a week

redzin

I agree with Judi's comments.

Nessie is a must - she is real - I've seen "her".

Also, if you have children the Museum of Flight is great - it has an original Concorde which you get to go on.

Also, definitely recommend the Black Isle, Cawdor Castle (my favourite), Inverness, Loch Lomond and the Edinburgh Tattoo. You can get a "hop on hop off" bus tour round Edinburgh which is great value and takes you to all the main sites.

You'll have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Frankie

If you're near Inverness and have children with you, Nessie hunting is obligatory! We did a boat trip out into Loch Ness, around the castle area and out into the middle of the lake. Great fun was had by all, although no Nessie.

It's a pretty area, and there's a nice pub nearby for lunch as well.

Whilst I totally agree that Arthur's Seat gives great views of the city, there's actually one which gives better (ssh, don't tell everyone ;)) and that's Blackford Hill - it's also not such a hard climb. It's also home to the Royal Observatory Edinburgh.

Another place to visit is Dunfermline in Fife. It is an easy train journey from Edinburgh, crossing the Forth Rail Bridge. Dunfermline is the ancient capital of Scotland and Robert the Bruce is buried in the Abbey. Some of the abbey is a ruin but part is also a working church. Dunfermline has a Carnegie Hall - just like New York - as Andrew Carnegie was born here. There is a really interesting museum in the cottage where he was born.

I would also recommend St Andrews. It's the home of golf, of Scotland's oldest university and has a ruined castle and cathedral. St Andrews can be reached by train to Leuchars then either bus or taxi if you don't want to drive there.

Delta and Continental currently fly to/from Edinburgh if this is of any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from all that, what is there to do in Scotland? LOL - just joking.

Although I now live in Spain I am originally from England with family living in Scotland. In my opinion both countries have something for everyone and either would make a wonderful weeks holiday (vacation).

The one thing I would bear in mind is the time of the year you are travelling. Scotland can be great in the summer months (especially June IMHO) but winter, early spring and late autumn perhaps not a good idea to drive around the more remote parts.

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful time.

I just found this thread, and as you can probably tell from my screen name and my signature my heart lives in Scotland even if my body lives in North Carolina. Who knew when I made my first trip there which was only an overnight in Edinburgh back in February 1983 that I would find myself feeling such love and such a feeling of being at home as I do when I'm in Scotland.

I've now been six times and already have plans to return next summer. I have travelled with my husband, with a friend and alone. I've even driven alone. I've travelled by car, by train and by bus.

With all that said, and if OP has not made other plans, here is what I would do--my opinion only:

BMI Baby has flights from Heathrow to both Glasgow and Edinburgh for about $100 per person depending on the days of travel. So, I would suggest you fly into Edinburgh and go into the city by bus and not rent a car. Stay two nights in order to have one full day of sightseeing. There's a hop-on/hop-off bus which would take you around to the major sights.

Then go back out to the Edinburgh airport to pick up a rental car. I've discovered the rental cars all have arrows pointing left right behind the steering wheel. It helps.

Leave the airport and take the M 9 and then A905 (I think that's what the map says) up to Stirling, visit Bannockburn where Robert the Bruce defeated the English, visit the William Wallace Memorial and Stirling Castle and stay overnight in Stirling.

Leave Stirling on the A84 up through Callender to Crianlarich and then the A82 to Glencoe. This should take about 2 hours or less. I've not been across through Callender, but I have been from Crianlarich to Glencoe, and it is as lovely and haunting a drive as you could ever imagine. Stop just before arriving in the town of Glencoe and spend time at the visitor's center (I think that's its name) which has great exhibits.

You would have time to do all of that and then drive up through Fort William and along Loch Ness to Drumnadrochit--all on the A-82. This is a drive of about 65 miles.

Stay overnight at one of the Drumnadrochit hotels and the next morning visit the Loch Ness exhibits. Yes, it's touristy, but it's worth it anyway.

Next go on to Inverness on the A82, then take the A9 South. It will become the M90 just past Perth, but you only stay on the M90 a short distance to the A912 South and soon the A91 east to St. Andrews.

This is about a 4 hour drive and again just beautiful. Blair Atholl would be a good place to stop to see Blair Castle if you didn't want to go all the way to St. Andrews that day. You could stay overnight at Blair Atholl or Pitlochry before continuing to Saint Andrews.

If you don't stop at Blair Atholl, then stay overnight in St. Andrews and spend the next day touring the city and especially the Golf Museum.

If you did stop at Blair Atholl, continue on to St. Andrews and stay one night.

Then it's back to the Edinburgh Airport on A915 to A92 to A90 to M9. It's about an hour's drive, maybe a bit more.

Now there is flexibility in this route, and you might want to skip some of what I've suggested or stay longer in a couple of places. But, for a first timer to Scotland, this would give you a good overview of the heart of the country.

Here's the basic route I've suggested. This is from the www.theaa.com web site:

Via: Stirling,Stirling

Via: Drumnadrochit,Inverness

Via: Pitlochry,Perth And Kinross

Via: St Andrews Golf Club,St Andrews

To: Edinburgh Airport,City Of Edinburgh

Distance: 387.0 miles

Time: 9 hr 26 min

Here are a few web sites to help you as well:

www.mapquest.co.uk for maps of towns and directions from one place to the other.

www.theaa.com allows you to plan your entire route with interim stops.

www.visitscotland.com for information about lodging as well as things to see and do.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk which also includes information about places to see and stay.

I just found this thread, and as you can probably tell from my screen name and my signature my heart lives in Scotland even if my body lives in North Carolina. Who knew when I made my first trip there which was only an overnight in Edinburgh back in February 1983 that I would find myself feeling such love and such a feeling of being at home as I do when I'm in Scotland.

I've now been six times and already have plans to return next summer. I have travelled with my husband, with a friend and alone. I've even driven alone. I've travelled by car, by train and by bus.

With all that said, and if OP has not made other plans, here is what I would do--my opinion only:

BMI Baby has flights from Heathrow to both Glasgow and Edinburgh for about $100 per person depending on the days of travel. So, I would suggest you fly into Edinburgh and go into the city by bus and not rent a car. Stay two nights in order to have one full day of sightseeing. There's a hop-on/hop-off bus which would take you around to the major sights.

Then go back out to the Edinburgh airport to pick up a rental car. I've discovered the rental cars all have arrows pointing left right behind the steering wheel. It helps.

Leave the airport and take the M 9 and then A905 (I think that's what the map says) up to Stirling, visit Bannockburn where Robert the Bruce defeated the English, visit the William Wallace Memorial and Stirling Castle and stay overnight in Stirling.

Leave Stirling on the A84 up through Callender to Crianlarich and then the A82 to Glencoe. This should take about 2 hours or less. I've not been across through Callender, but I have been from Crianlarich to Glencoe, and it is as lovely and haunting a drive as you could ever imagine. Stop just before arriving in the town of Glencoe and spend time at the visitor's center (I think that's its name) which has great exhibits.

You would have time to do all of that and then drive up through Fort William and along Loch Ness to Drumnadrochit--all on the A-82. This is a drive of about 65 miles.

Stay overnight at one of the Drumnadrochit hotels and the next morning visit the Loch Ness exhibits. Yes, it's touristy, but it's worth it anyway.

Next go on to Inverness on the A82, then take the A9 South. It will become the M90 just past Perth, but you only stay on the M90 a short distance to the A912 South and soon the A91 east to St. Andrews.

This is about a 4 hour drive and again just beautiful. Blair Atholl would be a good place to stop to see Blair Castle if you didn't want to go all the way to St. Andrews that day. You could stay overnight at Blair Atholl or Pitlochry before continuing to Saint Andrews.

If you don't stop at Blair Atholl, then stay overnight in St. Andrews and spend the next day touring the city and especially the Golf Museum.

If you did stop at Blair Atholl, continue on to St. Andrews and stay one night.

Then it's back to the Edinburgh Airport on A915 to A92 to A90 to M9. It's about an hour's drive, maybe a bit more.

Now there is flexibility in this route, and you might want to skip some of what I've suggested or stay longer in a couple of places. But, for a first timer to Scotland, this would give you a good overview of the heart of the country.

Here's the basic route I've suggested. This is from the www.theaa.com web site:

Via: Stirling,Stirling

Via: Drumnadrochit,Inverness

Via: Pitlochry,Perth And Kinross

Via: St Andrews Golf Club,St Andrews

To: Edinburgh Airport,City Of Edinburgh

Distance: 387.0 miles

Time: 9 hr 26 min

Here are a few web sites to help you as well:

www.mapquest.co.uk for maps of towns and directions from one place to the other.

www.theaa.com allows you to plan your entire route with interim stops.

www.visitscotland.com for information about lodging as well as things to see and do.

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk which also includes information about places to see and stay.

Being Scottish I read this post with interest and think on the whole it would be a great itinerary for the first time visitor. The only part I would change is from St Andrews to Edinburgh. I would take the coast route down through the villages of Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail.

Being Scottish I read this post with interest and think on the whole it would be a great itinerary for the first time visitor. The only part I would change is from St Andrews to Edinburgh. I would take the coast route down through the villages of Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail.

You honor me with your comments. I have been fortunate to travel up the coast to John 'O Groats and across to Orkney, out to Skye, to several of the Hebrides (not Harris, Lewis, et. al.) and many other places, and one day I will get to Ullapool and the Northwest. I think in total I've spent 7 weeks in Scotland.

But for a first time visitor my thinking was to suggest seeing those parts which embody Scotland.

I will return next June and will stay 3 nights in Edinburgh since I've never spent more than a day at a time there, a couple in the small town of Balloch with a CC friend who will show me around Loch Lomond and then out to Iona for a week of living with the Iona Community.

My ancestors left Scotland in the early 1700s, but I fell at home when I'm there and can hardly wait to return.

Wow, theres alot of great info in this thread. Im actually from Glasgow myself, therefore i would strongly recommend visiting my home city - it has some fantastic architecture, and a vibrant night-life and city centre shopping scene. Loch Lomond (40 mins from Glasgow) would be a must visit area, it is truly stunning, whatever time of year.

As for Edinburgh, it is a more attractive city geographically than Glasgow, and has a great deal of attractions in and around it (as has been said Arthurs seat is a must). As well as taking in all the big tourist spots as mentioned here several times, I would take a drive through the city towards the east coast, there are some areas of beautiful coastal scenery, in particular St Abbs Head (Near Berwick) is an area worth visiting, its around an hours drive from Edinburgh.

Whenever you visit, you will have a great time in Scotland, Cheers:)

BMI Baby has flights from Heathrow to both Glasgow and Edinburgh for about $100 per person depending on the days of travel.
Sorry for the pedantry, but in case it helps anyone looking for them, these are actually flights on bmi mainline, not bmibaby (bmi's low-fare outfit).

British Airways also flies from Heathrow to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, and also from Gatwick to both cities.

For anyone starting from central London, however, it is likely to be more convenient to fly from London City Airport. There are flights by British Airways to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, and by Air France (operated by a franchisee/subsidiary) to Edinburgh.

Sorry for the pedantry, but in case it helps anyone looking for them, these are actually flights on bmi mainline, not bmibaby (bmi's low-fare outfit).

Mea Culpa. I began my search at bmibaby.com and didn't notice that I automatically got switched to flybmi.com the web site for bmi mainline.

• 1 month later...
Hi Judi,

Many thanks for taking the time to post all your wonderful suggestions. I will be spending the next bit of time doing lots of web searches! We do have a full week in Edinburgh so should be able to see many of the sites mentioned.

We are now starting to question going to Islay on this holiday. Would love to hear from others who have made the trip and any tips you could give us.

Again, many thanks for your input!!:)

Hi again, just curious, did you get your trip to Edinburgh organised?

Hi Judi,

Thanks for asking about our plans - we are slowly making progress. We decided not to go to Islay this time - hopefully we will do this next time we visit.

We are staying in Edinburgh for the week at the SAS Radisson. From what I have read, I believe it is in a good location. We could use some recommendations for restaurants in the area (breakfast, lunch & dinner).

Now this is the current plan :

Day 1 - Arrive in late afternoon - settle in

Day 2 - Visit the castle, do the whisky experience, walk the Royal Mile

Day 3 - Do a Rabbies tour - Highland lochs, Glens & Whisky (Birnan forest, Pitlochry, Loch Tay, etc.)

Day 4 - Majestic Tours - Botanical Gardens, Royal Yacht, Holyroodhouse (believe that this is a self paced tour)

Day 5 - Out of town (Loch Ness, Loch Lomand or St. Andrews). Any ideas much appreciated!

Days 6, 7 - Gathering of the Glan activities

Day 8 - Train to London - Any thoughts on this? We thought it would be a good way to see the countryside.

In any event, we invite comments on the above. What must sees have we missed. Thanks for all feedback.:)

Your plans sound great.

The Radisson is on the Royal Mile so you couldn't be better placed.

One restaurant I would recommend (pricey but the food is wonderful) is the Witchery. You would need to book a table before you arrived. They have a web site so just google Witchery Edinburgh and you'll get the info, menu and reservations. They have two places to eat: The Witchery itself and The Secret Garden. I would recommend the Witchery because of the setting (very gothic and candle lit) but The Secret Garden is beautiful as well - both have the exact same menu.

There are lots of other eateries in your location. One place I would definitely recommend is a little Italian called Papillios. From Princes Street you would get a Number 16 bus. It will take about 10 minutes to an area called Bruntsfield. Ask the driver to give you a shout when you get to Montpelliers. The restaurant is just over the road from Montpelliers bar. This bar is lovely and also does good food.

Another one of our favourites is Petite Paris. It's at the west end of Princes Street on Queensferry Street.

You will need a full day to explore the castle, Whiskey Experience and Royal Mile.

One evening why don't you do one of the Ghost Tours of Edinburgh. They are such good fun and you learn a lot about the "dark" side of old Edinburgh. The company which do them are called Mercat Tours - if you google them you'll get all the info. Mary King's Close is a great one to do.

You can also get the hop on/hop off tour bus. You pay one price and it takes you to all the "hot spots" - Holyrood Palace, Royal Yacht Brittania, Botanical Gardens etc etc. You can get on and off at the dedicated stops as you please. It's a good way of seeing the city.

Loch Ness, Loch Lomond whatever you decide to do you won't be disappointed.

Train to London. It's a great way of getting there and you will see some of the countryside. Last time I went down on business I got the first one in the morning and it only took 4.30hrs. Once you get to London you can buy a transport ticket which allows you unlimited bus and tube travel.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Edinburgh and if I can be of any further help just email me: orourke-judi@sky.com

Best wishes

Judi

jmlh, DH and I took the train from London to Edinburgh several years ago. It's a good way to see the countryside and is less stressful than driving.

Judi, I will be in Edinburgh for 3 nights in late June. I'll be alone this time and am staying at A-Haven Townhouse Hotel out on Ferry Road. A couple of years ago I was with a friend, and we wound up with an unexpected night in Edinburgh, and that's where the Tourist Office put us. I liked it so am going back even though it's away from the center of the city. There is a bus stop right at the hotel which will work well.

I've been to the castle twice including attendance at the Tattoo so will not go there this time, but I think I'll spend some time on the Royal Mile. I've toured distilleries in Oban and Aberfeldy so I'll skip the Whiskey Experience. It's been a while since I took the Hop On, Hop Off bus so may do that just for fun.

Any other suggestions for me--perhaps something a little different?

What about eating? I loved your suggestions and wonder how they'd be for someone alone.

Thanks.

Beth

Judi - Many thanks for your reply. I just may be contacting you for more information! It is so great to have someone in the city to answer my questions. I really appreciate the dining suggestions. We will certainly try the Witchery & Petite Paris. We will book before leaving home - one less thing to stress about!

Another place you can enjoy a nice meal is Forth Floor at Harvey Nichols where you will also have a wonderful view over the rooftops of Edinburgh.

Getting around Edinburgh is easy for £3 you have unlimited travel on the buses. So you can get down to Leith and the old harbour areas of Newhaven or another great trip is to go all the way out to Fairmilehead and go up the chairlift at the skislope for another great view of the surrounding area (its about a 12 minute walk from the bus terminus to the chairlift but worth it

So much to do and see.......................

• 1 month later...

UKtog or Judi,

Are the streets/roads from the Queensferry port into Edinburgh still torn up with construction? We'll be there the end of May on a cruise (Eurodam) and are thinking of following UK's advice and taking the train from the port (Dalmeny, I believe) into the city, rather than bus or taxi.

Is there a website that shows the port schedules for Queensferry and/or Leith? I haven't been able to locate one. Sometimes I understand that the cruise ship docking (tendering) locations have changed, so I wanted to check.

Sandy

In Oct 05 we flew to Glasgow, rented a car and spent the next 10 days driving this beautiful country. I had made hotel or B&B reservations before we left the US and planned for short (ish) drives between stops. This was the most wonderful trip we have ever taken and would do it again. The only problem was the stick shift car and changing gears with the left hand took some getting used to. But we had the most wonderful time exploring my husband's Scottish heritage. His family built Tulloch Castle and his mom's family still maintains ownership of Crathe's Castle. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I loved this trip and love talking about it.

Shankiko ;)

Thinking of renting a car on England after or cruise and driving to Scotland, Edinburg, the highlands, etc. Is it difficult driving on the other side and what are must sees. Anyone that can map out a route? Also, should we do a round trip and fly home from England, which would be lowest airfare. Or maybe take a short flight to Edinburg, rent the car, return it there and shuttle back to England for trip home. Any ideas on this? Rona

Why not get a flight from Southampton direct to Edinburgh and pick up car there, that negates the need to go anywhere near London which most people here seem to be suggesting.

Then you could fly home from Scotland or back to London for your transatlantic.

Archived