Boarding Ship/Carryon Question

ricok987

Hi all,

I am taking my first HAL cruise in January 2009 with a low-budget grade cabin and need to know-do they let you drop your carry on luggage in your cabin as soon as you board? I have cruised with Carnival before and they don't let you near your cabin until 1:30 PM. I like to get onboard as soon as possible when travelling on a new ship in order to scope it out, and being able to drop my carry-ons, or not will change the way I pack my checked luggage-I might just check 3 bags instead of the standard two. Thanks for the help.

Rich

On the Noordam, we were not allowed to go to our stateroom until maybe 1:00. We boarded at 11:00 and went to the main dining room for lunch, where our luggage was held near the door by the head waiters. I was a little wary of leaving the carry-ons near the exit, but all was waiting and well when we finished lunch. :)

On the Maasdam the dining room will not be open for lunch.

Only the Lido is open for lunch.

Boarding usually begins between 11:15 - 11:30. Cabins are not ready until after 1 PM. You can not drop off anything in your cabin until the announcement is made that all cabins are ready.

If you go to the Lido for lunch when you get onn the ship, there is an area there where you can check in your carry-on luggage -- it will be tagged and delivered to your cabin later. Just be certain that you lock your carry-on luggage.

My husband and I only carried on his laptop, camera bag and my bag (large purse). We were walking around Seattle the morning of the cruise and did not want to be lugging a lot around with us. We packed light as we each had only one checked piece of luggage. So we carried those bags we didn't check with us to the Lido. It was hectic initially with everyone trying to get lunch but I was prepared for it and didn't think it an issue.

diane

I travel solo alot and last year when I sailed on the Maasdam, I arrived at port around 1:15 p.m. I was boarding the ship about 1:35 p.m. I was able to go right to my cabin and drop my bag off. When I got to the Lido, there was barely anyone eating (most people were headed to the cabins).

This really worked for me on my sailing!!

Happy sailing!!

Most of the times I've embarked since HAL started the early boarding, there has been a secure room or area where I could stash my carry-on. It's been a big help to be able to do that.

I'm glad it's not necessary to try to sneak to a cabin when HAL lets you do this. This is great, since if many people did try to get to their cabins before they were ready it could jeopardize the entire early boarding benefit.

It is just as easy to let them send everything to your room rather than drag them around.

All we carry on is the suitcase with medications and important document in it. We have never had a problem with lost luggage in all the years we have sailed HAL

Ruth & Jim

It is just as easy to let them send everything to your room rather than drag them around.

All we carry on is the suitcase with medications and important document in it. We have never had a problem with lost luggage in all the years we have sailed HAL

Ruth & Jim

Is your luggage taken Before boarding or where is it taken in order to have it delivered to the cabin?

No one is supposed to go to their cabins until the announcement allowing it is made.

Everyone who says, "I just want to drop off my bag" jeopardizes all of us being able to board early.

We all 'Just want to ---------- " But none of us are permitted to and hopefully no one thinks the rule doesn't apply to them.

I remember all the times we sat in terminals waiting to be permitted to board. It is FAR better being permitted to board earlier.

Remember, the end of our cruise will come and we will have our breakfast and wait in our cabins for our color to be called. Those who cruised the voyage ahead of us stayed in their cabins the same way.

The stewards work as hard and as fast as they can. Let's leave them alone to get their work done and have the cabins all clean and fresh for us.

Another thing I wanted to mention about luggage is we took advantage of the Signature Baggage Express Service option at the END of the cruise. This was great because our flight wasn't until after 11 p.m. that night. Upon disembarkation we walked off the ship, walked through the parking lot and within 15 minutes were in downtown. We were able to enjoy Seattle, the art museum, a movie and dinner without worrying about our bags. When we were ready to go to the airport we hopped on a bus at one of the hotels even though we didn't have a voucher. You can just pay for your ticket right on the bus or in the hotel lobby (we paid at the front desk of the Sheraton). (There was another couple at the airport who were waiting for hours to check their luggage because they had a late flight but no one was at the desk to check them in so they were stranded. Since we had disposed of our luggage the evening before we were much more relaxed. Just don't forget to leave out a change of clothes when you set your luggage out that night!)

diane

What time do the stevedores begin taking the luggage? Would that also be the same time the terminal opens?

Probably around 10:30a. Before that the porters are busy handling luggage for debarking passengers.

Cruising DCL we always tip for this, OK to do the same with HAL :confused:
Yes, if you'd like your bags to sail with you! :rolleyes:
Hi all,
That red icon you've used in the title is a "thumbs down" hand, not a question mark. A common mistake! :)

I think I will check 3 bags, but have as a carry on a small gym bag with a change of clothes, camera, and my travel documents-just to be safe.

Keep any valuables with you and any necessary medications.

Don't put a camera or jewelry or such in your checked luggage.

Archived