Any "Must Do's" in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas???

oz cleopatra

Anything we "must do" in these three ports? Search is down (again) so I cannot look it up. As far as historical monuments to see, restaurants, shopping etc?? Is there any jet-skiing? If so, does anyone know how much? Is it cool walking around or is it dicey? Any safety precautions(besides the usual), etiquette we should know about? Thanks in advance.:)

Anything we "must do" in these three ports? Search is down (again) so I cannot look it up. As far as historical monuments to see, restaurants, shopping etc?? Is there any jet-skiing? If so, does anyone know how much? Is it cool walking around or is it dicey? Any safety precautions(besides the usual), etiquette we should know about? Thanks in advance.:)

Click on boards above go to the port boards and click on mexican riveria.

Lots of info there.

Big Green

Cabo - Lovers Beach and lands end ( it's cheaper if you do it from the pier)

Mazatlan - Did a snorkle trip with alot of taquilla ( Great time) Don't remember the tour name though but theres lots of them

One of our favorite excursions we have ever taken is the Las Caletas Getaway in Puerto. GREAT facility, good lunch, very nice beach, etc. Just a beautiful place. When we were there it wasn't crowded at all. Lots of tables and chairs and plenty of room to have "your own spot" on their beach.

One to avoid is in Cabo.. Nikki Beach Bash. It is a VERY nice facility, however you are very restricted as to where you can go in it and what you can use. You are treated like a second class citizen by the staff of the Nikki Beach Club because you are not a guest of their hotel.

We loved Mazatlan. There is a fabulous local market right downtown that will give you the true flavor of Mexico. Then cross the street to the beautiful cathedral (all cathedrals in Mexico are owned and maintained by the state). It is definitely a place for pictures. We also took a tour from a local right at the end of the pier as we got off the ship. It was amazing and cheap. In Cabo you have to go to Cabo Wabo. It's tradition. Have a Cabo Waborita. The food is very good there too. Also whale watching in Cabo is awesome if you are going in the winter. We were not thrilled with Puerto Vallarta but I did get a kick out of having my picture taken with the baby burro as we got off the ship. I even got to hold him on my lap. He was freshly bathed and smelled wonderful and he was very affectionate. Those are some of my favorite pictures of the trip. Yes, I am a sucker for animals. All it cost us was a small tip. I did buy a really good leather purse in PV also. They may still have some good bargains because there are a lot of local artisans making them in their own stores. Have lots of fun! Bigred

We loved Mazatlan. There is a fabulous local market right downtown that will give you the true flavor of Mexico. Then cross the street to the beautiful cathedral (all cathedrals in Mexico are owned and maintained by the state). It is definitely a place for pictures. We also took a tour from a local right at the end of the pier as we got off the ship. It was amazing and cheap. In Cabo you have to go to Cabo Wabo. It's tradition. Have a Cabo Waborita. The food is very good there too. Also whale watching in Cabo is awesome if you are going in the winter. We were not thrilled with Puerto Vallarta but I did get a kick out of having my picture taken with the baby burro as we got off the ship. I even got to hold him on my lap. He was freshly bathed and smelled wonderful and he was very affectionate. Those are some of my favorite pictures of the trip. Yes, I am a sucker for animals. All it cost us was a small tip. I did buy a really good leather purse in PV also. They may still have some good bargains because there are a lot of local artisans making them in their own stores. Have lots of fun! Bigred

Ooh, my daughter and I LOVED the baby donkey. He was so floppy and unresponsive, though, we thought he might have been sedated to be calm around people. In the evening when we were back on the ship, we were standing on our balcony and saw him trotting away with his owner ... very different than how we saw him earlier. Afterwards I felt bad about paying to have a picture of him ... it only encourages his owner to keep doing it for the $$. It was a very hot, humid day and the poor thing was about ready to pass out.

simmy :-)

• 2 months later...

Mazatlan - Take a cab to the cathedral -if you wait until you are outside the port gates, it should cost you about $4 - they were quoting $8 inside. Then walk back downhill towards the port stopping for a tour of the renovated Theater...we felt very safe and it was a pleasant 20 minute walk plus maybe 20 minutes at the theater. Then take the little boat to Stone Island and enjoy a great lunch, beach, beer as others have described.

PV - We took a taxi to the Malecon - $12 for four of us, walked along it and after crossing the river we found a great little beachfront bar and had a margarita. Then we grabbed a taxi to Aye Charumba, and had a wonderful meal of grilled lobsters, fish and shrimp fajitas with a fantastic view of the city from on high....and more margaritas of course. Finally, I HIGHLY recommend making reservations for massages at Krystal - thats how we ended our day. You can do a seach on here for more information on them.

Have a great trip - we did!

Clay

Wow! thank you for the suggestions. I have looking around to see what to do on our upcoming cruise on April 5, 2009.

I have been reading alot about Stone Island. Is it cheaper to buy from cruise line or is there any other place, maybe outside port to buy tickets?

Which port has the best parasailing, canopy tours, sightseeing, beach, snorkeling and etc.

Thank you for your response. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

We were in these three port over Thanksgiving. In Cabo we've done the ATV Adventure, which is lots of fun and you get very dirty! The last time there we did Baja Bugs, a dune buggy ride through the dessert and that was a blast as well. Beware, Mexican safety standards are not the same as ours.

In Mazatlan we did the Jungle adventure the first time, where you take a boat to the Mangrove swamps around the back of stone island and then spend some time on the beach and have lunch. It was too long, but very scenic.

I found that both Mazatlan and PV are excellent cities for meandering around, shopping and hanging out on the beach. We found palapas restaurants in the Golden Zone in Mazatlan and on Playa des Mortes in PV. The water is calm and warm, the beer cold and frosty, and the tacos were excellent. The only thing is that the beach vendors in PV are frequent and persistant. We were lucky in that there was a huge group next to us who bought from everyone, so the vendors left us alone.

Wow! thank you for the suggestions. I have looking around to see what to do on our upcoming cruise on April 5, 2009.

I have been reading alot about Stone Island. Is it cheaper to buy from cruise line or is there any other place, maybe outside port to buy tickets?

Under ports of call someone gave detailed directions on how to get their on your own, it's easy and costs something like $1.50/pp. Stone Island is actually just a short jaunt across the marina, and it's actually a peninsula. Beautiful long stretch of beach. We rode Randi's horses there.

Which port has the best parasailing, canopy tours, sightseeing, beach, snorkeling and etc.

Time in port at Cabo is pretty short, so we did parasailing. Just walk to the end of the pier and theirs a booth for parasailing at $35/pp, beautiful views from the end of a 60ft line!

For a little more than a regular canopy tour, you can do the Oudoor Adventure in Puerto Vallarta ... it's great! Everyone in our group had a great time and said they'd do it again. If you're on a cruise ship, you have to book this one through the ship (unless rules changed very recently), but it's worth every penny in my opinion and I'm a major bargain hunter :D

Thank you for your response. :-)

I've posted more detailed info about our excursions under ports of call, Mexican Riviera, as well as under Royal Caribbean roll calls, December 14

Have a GREAT trip! We sure did :)

In Cabo - swing by a placed called Slim's Elbow Room for a beverage. Claims to the the world's smallest bar (there were 8 of us and the placed was "packed") - and free shot of tequila with the purchase of a t-shirt! :p

do you remember how to get to slims from tender dock?How far ect.

Archived