What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

What's your take on the $14.95 steak?  

2,225 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the $14.95 steak?

• I'm OK with it ... as long as they keep a free steak on the menu, too.
    • It's a nice alternative for beef eaters, and I'd like to try it.
    • I like that they're offering choice, even though I would pass.
    • Dining room menus should not include for-fee items, period.
    • It's nickel and diming, but hey -- we all have to make money somehow.
    • It may be organic, but it's still a strip steak. I'm not sure it's worth $14.95!
    • Something else, which I'll post.

That was a pretty deep dig to resurrect....

DOH!! :mad: I can't believe I got suckered into reading a thread two Plus years old. Only took me wasting reading three pages before I wised up, checked the posting dates and skipped to last page. :o

Trip Advisor (sister site to CC) has a nice feature... 6 month automatic expiration of threads.

Although I understand RCL needs to find ways to cut costs and increase sales, I do not like the route of charging for select dishes in the main dining room. It cheapens the experience of dining there and leaves the impression that if you don't pay up you are merely receiving average food. I am fine with the concept of specialty restaurants, but not with specialty fee items in the main dining room. If this becomes widespread on Royal Caribbean it would cause me to hesitate to sail with them. One of the pleasures of cruising is ordering whatever you want off the menu and not worrying about the cost.

One hundred percent agree, and well said, as usual Gonzo.

I find it funny that when i Sail with Celebrity, they charge pretty darn close to the same as RCI per person, per day, but don't charge for steak in the MDR. And the food is better. Heck this November it is actually more expensive to do the 4 day out of Tampa as the same cruise out of Miami on Celebrity. So I don't get the Cost problem.

And before anyone tries the old, then why don't you just cruise celebrity bit. The answer is I do, and we want to try RCI because all the old folks flock over to celebrity these days and it dulls down the night life and activities for those of us in our 20s. It seems that Celebrity is the new Holland America.

On the other side of the coin I do enjoy the fact that it is an option to get a really good steak in the MDR without going to chops but I believe Gonzos point is really well put. Also I fear that this is a gateway to allowing the Line to remove Steak altogether and/or lowering the quality of the free steak because, "you could always get the fee for steak".

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I believe that the main dining room should be kept free from menu items that carry a surcharge. All additional fee speciality items should only be carried in the speciality restaurants that are outside of the main dining room.

I agree.

Is it 2008 all over again :confused:;)

Lets do the time warp again !!!!!

Hey at least the prices are the same.

Royal has not raised the price in 3 years.

Oh Crap, now they will after reading this !!! Thanks Bigtex1622

:rolleyes:

DH likes the option, I could care less.

My advice is..... don't order it if you don't want to pay for it.

I agree, if people want to pay for a steak in the MDR, I think that is a personal choice. My opinion of the "free" steak is not very good and I would be nice to have the option in case I felt like a good steak while dining in the MDR. Everyone says that if you feel like a "Chops" steak, eat in Chops but we always have our young children on the cruise with us when we sail RC and Chops doesn't allow young children. So, having the option to eat a better quality steak in the MDR seems like a fine idea.

I do agree that the free steak should also remain on the menu as well. For a one week vacation, I still think that cruising is one of the most affordable vacations, especially for a family, available.

Lets do the time warp again !!!!!

Hey at least the prices are the same.

Royal has not raised the price in 3 years.

Oh Crap, now they will after reading this !!! Thanks Bigtex1622

:rolleyes:

Yeah, must be the $18.95 chop's steak by next week :D;)

I have thought about ordering the special steak but never have. If one of my table mates ordered one, I might be interested in joining them(never happened though).

I would rather order the same included food that all my table mates are ordering.

Maybe it sounds silly but I don't want to be the special one with the special food.

I might give this a try next month, got to use OBC on something.

BTW, I have commented to the folks running these boards upon the fact that we cannot tell if a thread is 1 day or 5 years old and it would be nice to see a posted date along with the thread topic.

For the life of me, I just can't understand why people have such a problem with a $14.95 steak on the menu. Who the heck cares? The main menu is no different with or without it. Is the extra ink so heavy the menu can no longer be picked up or something?

OK I started reading this thread and was thinking "are people really concerned about this extra fee steak thing still". So I looked at the OP's posting date, sure enough it started 2 and a half years ago.

The sky hasn't fallen, as far as I know (haven't been on an RCI cruise in almost a year) the steak is still there, the menu hasn't become ala carte.

I've not ever ordered the steak, but I'm not a steak eater usually, so it really never mattered to me that much. I think it can be a good alternative for those who would like to have a better cut of meat without the whole group paying the specialty restaurant price.

It's kind of like photos, souvenirs, specialty coffee, spa, excursions....you can choose to pay extra, or not.

OK I started reading this thread and was thinking "are people really concerned about this extra fee steak thing still". So I looked at the OP's posting date, sure enough it started 2 and a half years ago.

Good point. Back then, everyone thought it was some big conspiracy theory to nickel and dime us. Turns out, it all worked out ok, and the steak has actually been ordered by some of the naysayers.

People, please stop feeding the troll. This 2.5 year old thread keeps getting resurrected by a documented RCI boards troll. He's just trying to flame the argument like he always does. :rolleyes:

Just look at his signature.

Archived