Bringing wine on board

batt01

OK,

I'm posting this only because I found it so funny. Not that I condone it...

I recently cruised on NCL. We all knew that NCL allows wine to be brought on board. One of the people with me loves to have a glass of wine in her room prior to going to dinner. So, she brought on a box of nice chardonnay.

I have to giggle because she wrapped the box up like a birthday present and carried it on in her duffle bag.

Now, no one even asked her to open her duffle bag - it just went through the x-ray machine undetected. And she had already planned, if someone did ask, to admit what it was and be prepared to pay the corkage fee. But she was not going to offer it up unless asked.

I should also mention that we didn't see any "naughty room or table" at embarkation. We did, later in the cruise, see tables with signs that said the liquor stops here after returning from ports - but didn't see anything of the kind when initially boarding the ship.

Don't flame me - just thought the wrapping the box of wine with happy birthday paper and a bow was hilarious.

OK,

I recently cruised on NCL. We all knew that NCL allows wine to be brought on board. One of the people with me loves to have a glass of wine in her room prior to going to dinner. So, she brought on a box of nice chardonnay.

I have to giggle because she wrapped the box up like a birthday present and carried it on in her duffle bag.

Now, no one even asked her to open her duffle bag - it just went through the x-ray machine undetected. And she had already planned, if someone did ask, to admit what it was and be prepared to pay the corkage fee. But she was not going to offer it up unless asked.

I should also mention that we didn't see any "naughty room or table" at embarkation. We did, later in the cruise, see tables with signs that said the liquor stops here after returning from ports - but didn't see anything of the kind when initially boarding the ship.

Don't flame me - just thought the wrapping the box of wine with happy birthday paper and a bow was hilarious.

Would she have had to pay a corkage fee if she only drank in her statesroom?

Okay, go ahead and slam me.

But, this topic is discussed every 3 days. Here is the answer.

The rule is that you pay $15 per 750ml of wine. Larger bottle means higher price. Do the math for a box. Do they ALWAYS charge this? Nope. But that is the policy.

It does not matter WHERE you drink it, the charge is the same. You can even take it to your room and NEVER drink it. Same charge.

You can not take hard booze onboard. If you buy it in the ships store or ashore, they will hold it until the last day.

You can buy wine onboard for jsut under $30 and up. Drink it at the bar, in the restaurant or take to your room. Your choice. You can even drink half one night for dinner, and the rest the next night in a differerent restaurant. Not a problem for us - we always finish it off.

Okay, go ahead and slam me.

But, this topic is discussed every 3 days. Here is the answer.

The rule is that you pay $15 per 750ml of wine. Larger bottle means higher price. Do the math for a box. Do they ALWAYS charge this? Nope. But that is the policy.

It does not matter WHERE you drink it, the charge is the same. You can even take it to your room and NEVER drink it. Same charge.

You can not take hard booze onboard. If you buy it in the ships store or ashore, they will hold it until the last day.

You can buy wine onboard for jsut under $30 and up. Drink it at the bar, in the restaurant or take to your room. Your choice. You can even drink half one night for dinner, and the rest the next night in a differerent restaurant. Not a problem for us - we always finish it off.

Calm down....no one is making you answer the question:eek:

OK,

It is funny: I think I have read this before and guess it would be a great idea except now the NCL management is probably reading the thread...!!! LOL

... Now, no one even asked her to open her duffle bag - it just went through the x-ray machine undetected. ...

Yes, it is funny and cute.

But, you should note that she got it aboard because they did not look in her bag and it had nothing to do with being wrapped up as a birthday present.

I am all for bringing your own booze on board, but the main problem for me is, I dont want to carry it! I hate lugging crap around the world to save a few dollars. I would really have to get an exceptional deal to lug some heavy booze around.

The reason I ask is that we brought a bottle on board in our carry-on bag. We weren't being sneaky and were expecting to pay a corkage fee when asked if we had a bottle. Nobody asked. We eventually did pay the corkage fee when we dined the second night at Cagneys. Had we drunk it in our room there would have been no corkage fee. My question is: other than the restaurants when and where do you pay the corkage fee? Immediately upon boarding?

can someone tell me how to get a bottle of wine sent to my room before i board. i like a mascota to sip on while getting dressed or relaxing before bed. i just need to know how to see a wine list to order it or a number to call. thanks for the help.

can someone tell me how to get a bottle of wine sent to my room before i board. i like a mascota to sip on while getting dressed or relaxing before bed. i just need to know how to see a wine list to order it or a number to call. thanks for the help.

I believe if you go to NCL.com you can order it as a "gift" to yourself to be in the room. Or you can just buy it in any bar or restaurant once your board - which might be easier and safer. No paperwork to get lost or anybody to get involved, except YOU. Same prices.

I believe if you go to NCL.com you can order it as a "gift" to yourself to be in the room. Or you can just buy it in any bar or restaurant once your board - which might be easier and safer. No paperwork to get lost or anybody to get involved, except YOU. Same prices.

thanks so much. i didnt know i could just buy it at the bar. this is my first ncl cruise and i am new to all the things you can do on it. i will treat myself to a couple of bottles.

The reason I ask is that we brought a bottle on board in our carry-on bag. We weren't being sneaky and were expecting to pay a corkage fee when asked if we had a bottle. Nobody asked. We eventually did pay the corkage fee when we dined the second night at Cagneys. Had we drunk it in our room there would have been no corkage fee. My question is: other than the restaurants when and where do you pay the corkage fee? Immediately upon boarding?

Yes.. there's a table setup at the boarding area. After xray, they ask you to proceed there and pay the corkage. In your case, it wasn't necessary!! Lucky you!

We paid corkage fee of $15 per bottle this past week. They told us to bring the bottles over to a table, after we went through the x-ray machine--we probably could have sneaked by, but didn't want to be embarrased if we got cought...FYI if you don't open all your bottles they will refund the corkage fee at the end of the trip. We brought our last un-opened bottle to the desk and they took off $15. I thought that was pretty nice.

...FYI if you don't open all your bottles they will refund the corkage fee at the end of the trip. We brought our last un-opened bottle to the desk and they took off $15. I thought that was pretty nice.

Thanks.. didn't know you could get a refund. Good to know.

All of the cruise lines I have been on have their own policy about wine. Most all let you take at least two bottle per person on board with no change at all (except NCL). If you bring it in when you dine then they ding you the corkage fee. A good friend of mine who sails on NCL quite often usually brings on a case of high end red wine he and his wife likes to drink, and just pays the corkage per bottle before they get on board. They save a bundle even with the corkage fee because they drink wine that would cost you between $80 and $120 per bottle on most wine lists. One interesting thing they did tell me is in the 12 bottle case they bring on they alwasy have at least two red wine bottles that have been refilled with crown royal and gin and recorked and sealed so they don't look like they have been opened. They just pay the $15.00 per bottle and walk on the ship. Pretty funny, but they save a lot of money. They also told me they usually drop several hundered of dollars buying drinks from the bars and ordering the less expensives wines from the wine list. They say it doesn't really pay for you to bring on the cheaper wines since ncl has good pricing on the lower end wines. Pretty interesting!!

All of the cruise lines I have been on have their own policy about wine. Most all let you take at least two bottle per person on board with no change at all (except NCL). If you bring it in when you dine then they ding you the corkage fee. A good friend of mine who sails on NCL quite often usually brings on a case of high end red wine he and his wife likes to drink, and just pays the corkage per bottle before they get on board. They save a bundle even with the corkage fee because they drink wine that would cost you between $80 and $120 per bottle on most wine lists. One interesting thing they did tell me is in the 12 bottle case they bring on they alwasy have at least two red wine bottles that have been refilled with crown royal and gin and recorked and sealed so they don't look like they have been opened. They just pay the $15.00 per bottle and walk on the ship. Pretty funny, but they save a lot of money. They also told me they usually drop several hundered of dollars buying drinks from the bars and ordering the less expensives wines from the wine list. They say it doesn't really pay for you to bring on the cheaper wines since ncl has good pricing on the lower end wines. Pretty interesting!!

wow, sounds like they like to drink more than I do....LOL as for 2 bottles on most lines, not so true anymore. Some allow nothing, others 1 bottle. I do admit NCL is the only line that charges the corkage fee whether you drink it in your cabin or at dinner: I hate the policy, but I do abide by it anyway..

Nita

Archived