Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

I just put a hold on a booking for the 14 day Ultimate Alaska on RCCL Serenade of the Seas for an outside guarantee with what works out to be about a 150% single supplement. The itinerary is Vancouver up to Alaska then down the coast to San Diego. Even with taxes, etc it still comes out to well under $150/day.

It looked like balcony guarantees were also available on this sailing for about a 175% single supplement.

Whew! Got any more checks left??? That seems high to me, but then again I'm somewhat of a spendthrift.

Well, compared to the usual 200% single supplement it's a good deal ;-). I don't know, to me, paying well under $150 per day for my own outside cabin doesn't seem so bad. Traveling solo I find it's hard to get under $100 per night all in, especially if you prefer an outside, has your experience been different?

Whew! Got any more checks left??? That seems high to me, but then again I'm somewhat of a spendthrift.

Hi Pat - fellow spendthrift!

I may break down and (eventually) book a Western again for fall... just so I can get in my 2 cruises/year :p. I have NCL $250 deposit, but Carnival has some good deals :rolleyes:

Well, compared to the usual 200% single supplement it's a good deal ;-). I don't know, to me, paying well under $150 per day for my own outside cabin doesn't seem so bad. Traveling solo I find it's hard to get under $100 per night all in, especially if you prefer an outside, has your experience been different?

Hi NW! congrats on your cruise -- if you're happy with it, that's what's important!

I've seen some great prices on Alaska cruises, but flight from Chicago make it almost double! Since your cuise is in the summer and you're in the NW that may be a great deal. My budget restricts me to non-summer and non-holidays.

Have a great time!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi NW! congrats on your cruise -- if you're happy with it, that's what's important!

I've seen some great prices on Alaska cruises, but flight from Chicago make it almost double! Since your cuise is in the summer and you're in the NW that may be a great deal. My budget restricts me to non-summer and non-holidays.

Have a great time!

Nancy

I just came back from Alaska on Radiance OTS and it was wonderful. Check Frontier Airlines for good rates. I think they fly from Midway and they have different levels of service, depending on whether you want the basic flight or a package that includes DirecTV and your baggage fee. It was the cheapest I could find, and they seem to have specials on their website that don't make it to Kayak.

Liz

I just came back from Alaska on Radiance OTS and it was wonderful. Check Frontier Airlines for good rates. I think they fly from Midway and they have different levels of service, depending on whether you want the basic flight or a package that includes DirecTV and your baggage fee. It was the cheapest I could find, and they seem to have specials on their website that don't make it to Kayak.

Liz

Thanks Liz! I've never even checked out Frontier; I will now! Glad you had a great time!

Does anyone have any advice for finding cruises with lower single suppliments? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but everything I search comes up with a 200% price.

TIA,

Deb

Go to *********** and click on Singles Discounts. That will produce a list of discounted single supplements and shows the % you will pay.

Also, Carnival 1A category is sometimes lower than their published inside rate. Once you find a low rate for an inside ON THE CARNIVAL WEBSITE, click on category and price the 1A category as a single supplement.

Carnival and HAL seem to more frequently to be less than the 200%

I hope that helps.

Patrick K.

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
removed TA site info that is not allowed in posts. See my previous post #321 above.

**bleep** Can't name specific websites - CC "no-no."

That said, I like that website, but their 'Singles Discounts' cruises tend to be pretty limited, have a lot of high-end and long cruises; whereas sometimes sale prices on other lines make the 150-200% cruises a better deal. (Keep in mind you at least don't have to pay the port charges for a second person; saves a little $).

badlknee is right on about the Carnival 1A's - they can be really dirt cheap! Also, look for cruises less than 90 days out, "off-season" and (often) repositioning cruises.

Personally I have always found my best deals here :).. so be sure to share if you find something decent...... and HAPPY SOLO CRUISING!

**bleep** Can't name specific websites - CC "no-no."

That said, I like that website, but their 'Singles Discounts' cruises tend to be pretty limited, have a lot of high-end and long cruises; whereas sometimes sale prices on other lines make the 150-200% cruises a better deal. (Keep in mind you at least don't have to pay the port charges for a second person; saves a little $).

badlknee is right on about the Carnival 1A's - they can be really dirt cheap! Also, look for cruises less than 90 days out, "off-season" and (often) repositioning cruises.

Personally I have always found my best deals here :).. so be sure to share if you find something decent...... and HAPPY SOLO CRUISING!

Thanks Nancychgo,

I thought we could answer a specific question that someone asks. If not, :eek: I hope the moderator will forgive me. :o

Patrick K.

I've been reprimanded for recommending that specific website; that's how I know.

Thanks for letting me know. I will get ready to apologize and even fall on my sword to keep from being barred from CC. It is the best cruise site that I know of.

Patrick K.

Hi Pat... WhazzzUp? I know, no cruises planned here either :(. Life just isn't the same without a cruise to look forward to!

I am in complete agreement and have much sympathy for you......so the logical solution to your problem is to BOOK ONE so you can look forward to it. :D Try the ones in my signature. They had really low fares....at least, when I booked them. The Conquest is a 1A porthole 7 day single supplement for $644.41 including port fees and taxes. My philosophy is to cruise CHEEP so I can cruise OFTEN:) I hope you find one.

Patrick K.

badlknee>>>It's such a shame that you don't have many cruises planned! Lucky devil!:D

I agree, Yellowbird. I am fairly newly retired and I decided to cruise as much as possible now while my health is good and before the coming inflation reduces my purchasing power....so, once I figured out how to find CHEEP cruises, I just booked all I could find......but I still have a few months open in case another CHEEP one pops up:D

Patrick K.

That is a good way of looking at it. Just come home long enough to wash the clothes and go again, huh? I retired last August and went in October, December, February and a trip to Rome with my husband (which was the cheapest one of them all...free from his company).

Nancy>>we will have to check out his trips and see if there is something we can come up with, as the November 1 repositioning of Dawn is way too much and possibly filled anyhow.

Response to both "Pats"...

Checked the Conquest. Due to airfare and transportation cost to port, cruising out of Galveston is more expensive for me than out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I've learned cruising out of "Port Canaveral" is more expensive too cuz of the transport $ from Orlando.

Keep up the good work informing us of good prices tho :D

Response to both "Pats"...

Checked the Conquest. Due to airfare and transportation cost to port, cruising out of Galveston is more expensive for me than out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. I've learned cruising out of "Port Canaveral" is more expensive too cuz of the transport $ from Orlando.

Keep up the good work informing us of good prices tho :D

Yep, airfare is a dealbreaker for me on lots of low fare cruises. I live in Texas so Galveston and New Orleans eliminate airfare for me. Mobile is also driveable but I avoid the Carnival Holiday which ports there.

Hang in there. Another one will pop up soon.

Patrick K.

I am looking daily for "something" affordable. Unfortunately, for me, I don't care for Mexico. I thought I would never want to go to Alaska either, but some of the prices are very affordable. I am also leary about trying other cruiseships. I was loyal to Royal until I took my cruise last year on Spirit (NCL). I love the Freestyle dining. That is right up my alley and not sure what the others offer as far as likeness. Patrick>>>enjoy each and every one of your cruises. Report back to let us know how they were. I am leaving with Kween Karen in September on her 'round the world' cruise as an onlooker. I can dream through her.

I am looking daily for "something" affordable. Unfortunately, for me, I don't care for Mexico. I thought I would never want to go to Alaska either, but some of the prices are very affordable. I am also leary about trying other cruiseships. I was loyal to Royal until I took my cruise last year on Spirit (NCL). I love the Freestyle dining. That is right up my alley and not sure what the others offer as far as likeness. Patrick>>>enjoy each and every one of your cruises. Report back to let us know how they were. I am leaving with Kween Karen in September on her 'round the world' cruise as an onlooker. I can dream through her.

Thanks Yellowbird. I will definitely enjoy each of them. The worst one that I have had was still a great time. I will report. Tell Kween Karen that we would also like to be virtual cruisers with her.

Patrick K.