laptop information

prettybird

We normally bring our laptop so we can download pictures, and prepare e-mails prior to sending.

If you use the ship's computers then you have to compose e-mails on their dime. That gets to be expensive (last cruise we purchased a package that was 49 cents per minute). Instead, I created our e-mails in Word (including pictures), then I took the laptop down to the internet cafe where the WiFi was strongest, and sent them out there.

If you're just going to send a few quick e-mails then there is no point in lugging your laptop.

does anyone know is it better for me to bring my own laptop on board and what the cost will be because when i use there computer it is very expensive

You pay the same per minute charges whether you use their computers or your own.

The advantages of taking your own are what Water Baby said.

The convenience factor may also be shaded by whether you are driving or flying to port.

Is the internet very slow and is the speed effected by where you are, in cabin or in internt cafe?

It used to be very slow most of the time, and somewhat slow late at night, but on my last few cruises, the speed was actually very good, any time of day. Some of those instances were in the internet café and some were in the Diamond Lounge.

The other thing is - if on their computers - no way to reboot. So, if the computer 'hangs' - you could still be racking up charges, if you walk away someone could be using it on your account, and if you had sensitive stuff open you won't know if it closed etc. The advantage of bringing your own laptop is - if things hang etc, you can just turn off your laptop - you know your private info is protected and you know it's offline (and not accumulating charges).

does anyone know is it better for me to bring my own laptop on board and what the cost will be because when i use there computer it is very expensive

It used to be very slow most of the time, and somewhat slow late at night, but on my last few cruises, the speed was actually very good, any time of day. Some of those instances were in the internet café and some were in the Diamond Lounge.

If you are used to a cable type internet connection, the connection is slow imo.

If you are used to a cable type internet connection, the connection is slow imo.

I didn't say that it was "blazing fast".

I said that it was very good. And it was. Virtually no lag, no hang time. Pages came up quickly and smoothly.

JME YMMV :rolleyes:

btw, I have FIOS at home.

You pay the same per minute charges whether you use their computers or your own.

The advantages of taking your own are what Water Baby said.

The convenience factor may also be shaded by whether you are driving or flying to port.

Do you know if the newer ships have in-cabin internet available? I know I've used in on Jewel and Brilliance. Flat rate per cruise for unlimited usage. It's about $10 per day.

I've been reading some posts today that seem to indicate Freedom does not have this available? Do you know if this is accurate?

thanks.

Do you know if the newer ships have in-cabin internet available? I know I've used in on Jewel and Brilliance. Flat rate per cruise for unlimited usage. It's about $10 per day.

I've been reading some posts today that seem to indicate Freedom does not have this available? Do you know if this is accurate?

thanks.

Yes it´s true, only Radiance and Voyager CLass ships offer Cyber Cabin, which is a dial up connection for a flat rate.

As Freedom is WIFI for all cabins no flatrate is offered, just pay per minute at the going rate.

Archived