Carribbean Menu

Cruise Organizer

I also ordered things off of the buffet from room service when I wanted to eat on the balcony, so I had the best of both worlds.

That is the best of both worlds! This is the first I've heard of doing this...how does it work? Do they have a list or do you know what's on the buffet? We love to sit on our balcony enjoying our lunch or breakfast. If only our "real" world was a little more like this!

Bread PUdding is set out every day at lunch in Lido. You don't have to ask special for it. There is a always a large warming pan of that wonderful pudding.

Ohhh...that's good to know. It seems like I'd read here on CC that you had to ask for it, and that's what I did. I saw someone else in line and they asked, and the server turned around and scooped some in a bowl for the person in front of me. It seems like this was somewhere around the area where they had small desserts in a glass case, but I am not completely sure. We only ate lunch in the Lido once, and that was specifically so I could get some bread pudding. I'll have to look around for it next time. It is yummy. :)

The menus have changed. We had some of the same things on our August Maasdam dinner menus but these menus are not the same.

So will our 10-day cruise menus be the same as a 7-day with 3 additional different menus? I know the menus I posted aren't what's being served now, but I thought I'd post them to give people an idea of the variety. There's lots of things to choose from...we didn't go hungry, that's for sure. :)

Oh, they are! :) It's like having dessert at the beginning of the meal. When John Mulvaney (then-executive chef) told me what was in them, I knew why I liked them so much! :D

The strange thing is I've never tried any of the cold fruit soups. Hubby did a blueberry one (I can't remember which cruise that was on), and I think I tried it, but I don't remember. There's just so many things to choose from that I didn't have room to try these! But I am going to do it next time. I'm the type that goes to a restaurant and orders the same thing over and over (if I like it), but on cruises, I like to try new things. I even tried Sushi on my first cruise and event though I really didn't like it, at least I gave it a try. :)

I like the idea of dessert at the beginning of the meal! I could go straight from appetizer to dessert and skip the things in the middle.

The cold soups are divine!! My favorite was the Pina Colada soup, which was available at lunch in the dining room one day. One of my favorite things about cruising is trying new food items without the risk of going hungry if I happen to not like what I ordered (and having to pay for it anyway). I've never had Escargot, and toyed with the idea of ordering it before, but I'm definitely planning to try it next cruise, along with Osso Bucco if it's available.

Pina Colada soup...now that sounds really good. I'll have to see if I can find that on our cruise. Like you, I try new things on a cruise ship. It's the perfect place to do this. When you go to a restaurant, food items are always so large, but on the ship...they are the perfect portions. I hate to waste food...so even if I don't like something, I usually end up eating it (on this ship), since it's a smaller portion.

The cold soups are my favorite!! And the escargot is delicious. I love to try new things and not have to worry that you paid for them and didn't like them.

I also like to try new things. If you don't try it, you may be missing something totally unique and delicious. But some degree of discretion may be required. :confused:

I have been known to order the most exotic sounding dish on the menu and have the unfortunate experience that the rest of the family had to look away as I was eating it! ;) On our last cruise I did have the escargots. We were in the middle of the Alaskan Sea and things were a bit choppy. My DD couldn't handle the thought of what I was eating so I had to gobble them down very very quickly, eat a lobster in about three bites and hurry her off to the stateroom to lie down. She enjoyed soda crackers and 7-Up that night.

Another time we were in San Francisco Chinatown. If you haven't been there, you can find authenic and non Americanized Chinese food. One day we were there and decided to have lunch at a large Chinese restaurant. As typical, all menu items were listed in both English and Chinese, EXCEPT FOR ONE! That attracted my interest because that menu item must be something totally unique and certainly delicious! I asked our waiter what it was and he replied very candidly "Occidentals normally do not like that" and walked off.

Hmmm. Descretion got the best of me so I ordered standard fare. I never did learn what that one menu item was but still wonder to this day what I missed.

John

The cold soups are divine!! My favorite was the Pina Colada soup, which was available at lunch in the dining room one day. One of my favorite things about cruising is trying new food items without the risk of going hungry if I happen to not like what I ordered (and having to pay for it anyway). I've never had Escargot, and toyed with the idea of ordering it before, but I'm definitely planning to try it next cruise, along with Osso Bucco if it's available.

We had escargot for the 1st time on our honeymoon in Bermuda (40 years ago!)...at the Fourways Inn...and now, whenever it's on the menu, we have it. It's one of my favorites! HAL does a great job with the preparation, too.

The strange thing is I've never tried any of the cold fruit soups. Hubby did a blueberry one (I can't remember which cruise that was on), and I think I tried it, but I don't remember. There's just so many things to choose from that I didn't have room to try these! But I am going to do it next time. I'm the type that goes to a restaurant and orders the same thing over and over (if I like it), but on cruises, I like to try new things. I even tried Sushi on my first cruise and event though I really didn't like it, at least I gave it a try. :)

I like the idea of dessert at the beginning of the meal! I could go straight from appetizer to dessert and skip the things in the middle.

The cold soups are wonderful. For that matter, so are the hot soups...a garlic one comes to mind.:D

Here's the Room Service menu, and the Cabin Breakfast Menu. Your steward will leave a card in your room each day and you fill out what you want. If you like Eggs Benedict, pancakes or waffles, you can write those items in, however, you have to schedule the delivery time to coincide with the breakfast dining room hours. I've also read that you can write "chocolate croissants" on the form and they'll send those to your cabin. :)

Zuiderdam Room Service=Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toated bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spear

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & grees curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

And remember that you can always order from the dinner menu. Just remember to order within the first half hour from when the dinning room opens. You can select whatever time you want to eat.

Cabin Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM

6:30 AM -7:00 AM

7 AM - 7:30 AM

7:30 AM – 8:00 AM

8:00 AM – 8:30 AM

8:30 AM – 9:00 AM

9 AM - 9:30 AM

9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Diced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes

Low Fat Yogurt

Plain; Fruit

Breads

English Muffin; White Toast; Wheat Toast; Rye Toast; Danish; Croissant; Blueberry Muffin; Bran Muffin; Bagel

Preserves

Assorted Jams; Marmalade; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Mueslix; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk

Eggs & Meats

Two Eggs: Scrambled or sunnyside up or over easy

Omelet: With Cheese or With Ham and Cheese

Eggbeaters: Scrambled or Omelet with Cheese or Omelet with Ham and Cheese

Meat: Ham or Sausage or Bacon

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Half & Half in Breakfast

All of it sounds fantastic!

Just in the Lido? Can you order it in the DR for lunch?

Just in the Lido; I've never seen it on the dining room menu.

If you want to eat in the dining room, but want bread pudding, just skip the dessert in the dining room, then go up for the bread pudding. Or, have two desserts! :D

The cold soups on HAL are very good, but they are very rich. I'm sure they are made with cream, and lots of it.

I too love the escargot. They make them better on HAL than at some fine NYC French restaurants. On my last cruise, I was eating in the Pinnacle on the night the escargot were served in the dining room. The maitre d' suggested we call the dining room when they opened and have them delivered to our room before we went to the Pinnacle. We did just that, and ate them on the veranda. Heavenly.

You won't go hungry on a HAL cruise, but on the other hand, I've never gained weight on a cruise either. I taste a little rather than eat it all.

Found a recipe for HAL cold soups:

HAL CHILLED SOUPS

Chilled [fruit of your choice] Soup

4-6 pounds of fruit, fresh or frozen

1/2 gallon appropriate fruit juice

1.25 quarts heavy cream

2 oz honey

1/4 quart dry white wine

1/8 cup lemon juice

Put everything in the blender, puree well; strain if desired.

Finally, the chilled soup should then be blended, before serving, with the appropriate ice cream-- to 1 gallon of the above soup add 1 quart of ice cream.

You can use vanilla when there isn't an ice cream for that fruit and it's fine. They use strawberry for watermelon and 3-fruit both, for example.

Oh, bring on those statins.

I'm sure they are made with cream, and lots of it.

You betcha! ;) And in place of the ice cream you mention in another post, some of the soups have (or had when John told me what was in them) sherbet instead. There was one that used tapioca as a thickener (I haven't tasted that in a long time).

All very dessert-like.

You betcha! ;) And in place of the ice cream you mention in another post, some of the soups have (or had when John told me what was in them) sherbet instead. There was one that used tapioca as a thickener (I haven't tasted that in a long time).

All very dessert-like.

LOL...no wonder they're so good, Ruth!

Found a recipe for HAL cold soups:

HAL CHILLED SOUPS

Chilled [fruit of your choice] Soup

4-6 pounds of fruit, fresh or frozen

1/2 gallon appropriate fruit juice

1.25 quarts heavy cream

2 oz honey

1/4 quart dry white wine

1/8 cup lemon juice

Put everything in the blender, puree well; strain if desired.

Finally, the chilled soup should then be blended, before serving, with the appropriate ice cream-- to 1 gallon of the above soup add 1 quart of ice cream.

You can use vanilla when there isn't an ice cream for that fruit and it's fine. They use strawberry for watermelon and 3-fruit both, for example.

Oh, bring on those statins.

Thanks for the recipe, Carol. Maybe one of these days, I'll give it a try. I usually do have a cold soup for an appetizer...now seeing what's in it, perhaps I should use some restraint!

Archived