Galveston Recovery

Old Quarter Acoustic Cafe has reopened

with live music every weekend. This is small folk style music venue with local and state wide artists.

Also this is the little ole bar of Galveston

being sued by gaint Starbucks Coffee

for his Texas Starbock Beer name.[/quote

Starbucks will lose this one. This shows how desperate their situation has become when they start reaching like that.

Old Quarter Acoustic Cafe has reopened

with live music every weekend. This is small folk style music venue with local and state wide artists.

Also this is the little ole bar of Galveston

being sued by gaint Starbucks Coffee

for his Texas Starbock Beer name.[/quote

Starbucks will lose this one. This shows how desperate their situation has become when they start reaching like that.

He he he...just another example of corporate greed and throwing their weight around.

Someone with some inside connections needs to tell Harbour House that their cams aren't working AGAIN.

I enjoy looking at the cam on Galveston.com and since IKE they are at best questionable, especially the cruise cam (2) and the ones at the Spot.

Someone with some inside connections needs to tell Harbour House that their cams aren't working AGAIN.

I enjoy looking at the cam on Galveston.com and since IKE they are at best questionable, especially the cruise cam (2) and the ones at the Spot.

The webcams are owned and operated by galveston.com and they are well aware that the cameras are having trouble. Considering that the galveston.com headquarters was in the heart of the damaged area, I think they may have other things on their plate. I do know that they have had issues with the network.

Stingaree Resturant

Bolivar

OPENS Thursday Feb 12.

We have plans to go!

That's GREAT news!! I can't believe they can open so soon. I was on Bolivar a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe how bad it still looked. I'm so glad Stingaree's going to be open. Can't wait to go!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone on the island have word from the Mayor et al about how much business is expected there for Spring Break?

I was told today by our SPI neighbor that 2 of the big hotels in SPI are still out of service from Dolly earlier in the Summer. It didn't look on the news like Madi Gras in Galveston was very well attended this year, sadly since Galveston needs the business to afford the rebuild.

I know I have teams from church going to Oak Island still and may be there myself on Thursday or Friday for a few hours myself.

Only the Tremont in town and the Ramada on Seawall are closed. Tremont to re-open in the next two months. No indication of anything happening on the Ramada. All other hotels are and have been open.

Mardi Gras was well attended this year, straight through Tuesday night.

Restaurants seem to be doing a good business. Everytime we eat out they fill up quickly.

Stores are opening in the Strand, Front Parlor and Strand Brass are the latest.

Galveston Cruiser, your dedication to this posting I'm sure has been invaluable to all of us planning to cruise from your port. We fell in love with Galveston the first time we cruised from there and loook forward to many more visits.Can you tell me the status of the Hilton/San Luis Resort? Also, did Moody Gardens sustain damage and have they completed repairs? In general, what is your opinion of the hotel facilities at Moody Gardens? I've read reviews that were posted pre-Ike that were not favorable. We've stayed at the Hilton and the Galvez previously but will have young children with us this time so are considering Moody Gardens. Thank you in advance for your input.

Thank you for the compliment. We love our island city, its history, strength and all it has to offer.

The Hilton/San Luis Resort is open (San Luis was city headquarters during and aft Ike).

Moody Gardens is also open with the exception of the rain forest which sustained heavy damage.

I am not familiar with the hotel other than walking through or going to dinner at Shearns (expensive but beautiful sunsets).

Schlitterbahn will be opening for spring break (next to Moody Gardens).

Thank you for the compliment. We love our island city, its history, strength and all it has to offer.

We love Galveston too. Our family has ties to the island as my great-grandfather was a survivor of the storm in 1900. The island has a special place in my heart and over the last 31 years we've lived on the Texas Gulf Coast it has been a respite for us many times! All your updates have been very much appreciated!

With or without kids you would not be dissapointed with

Moody Gardens Hotel and Complex. There is Water Park (indoor and outdoor)

IMAX and Aircraft Museum and The Gardens Complex with many things to do for family and kids. :D

We love Galveston too. Our family has ties to the island as my great-grandfather was a survivor of the storm in 1900. The island has a special place in my heart and over the last 31 years we've lived on the Texas Gulf Coast it has been a respite for us many times! All your updates have been very much appreciated!

With or without kids you would not be dissapointed with

Moody Gardens Hotel and Complex. There is Water Park (indoor and outdoor)

IMAX and Aircraft Museum and The Gardens Complex with many things to do for family and kids. :D

Thank you for the information on Moody Gardens. It does look like the perfect place for children. In the end, I decided on the Hilton based on significant price difference and will taxi or hotel shuttle over to the water park for the afternoon. It sounds like the city has done a commendable job of putting things back together. Can't wait to be there again!

For those in Galveston this weekend

you might want consider an event to attend.

Very enjoyable!!!!!

The 1894 Grand Opera House alone is worth the visit.

The Grand is one of the few remaining theatres of its era in Texas and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.thegrand.com

"A Ride with Bob"

Life story of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

A popular Texas Swing band of early years.

A musical play performed by a current band

and Nationally Famous

Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel.

Thursday thru Sunday 5 performances

Saw it last year and it was great and Broadway quality.

Will go Friday nite again.:D

Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel are fantastic. If you can go this is not to be missed.

For those in Galveston this weekend

you might want consider an event to attend.

Very enjoyable!!!!!

The 1894 Grand Opera House alone is worth the visit.

The Grand is one of the few remaining theatres of its era in Texas and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.thegrand.com

"A Ride with Bob"

Life story of Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

A popular Texas Swing band of early years.

A musical play performed by a current band

and Nationally Famous

Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel.

Thursday thru Sunday 5 performances

Saw it last year and it was great and Broadway quality.

Will go Friday nite again.:D

We had a day trip to Galveston yesterday and got to visit Yaga's for their grand re-opening. It's our favorite restaurant on the Strand and we enjoyed sitting in our favorite window seat! It's so great to see the spirit of the folks there! The Strand is beginning to come back to life and we wanted to give our support and leave some cash there.There are many shops opening back up and there were alot of people strolling down the sidewalks.There were some street performers as well, and it semed like the Galveston we know and love. We also saw some friends off on their Ecstasy cruise. Beautiful weather too!!

This is very enlightening to know that Galveston is rebounding. We will be there on April 3rd and glad to know we'll be able to find some things to do on Saturday.

The following are events that weekend :D

Galveston is active arts, festival and entertainment town.

Featherfest in the past is big and takes many rooms here.

4/4/2009 3rd Annual Lone Star Triathlon Festival Moody Gardens

4/4/2009 Carnival Ecstasy 5-Day Cruise Departs from Galveston

4/4/2009 FeatherFest (bird watching and receptions and seminars) ( Usually very large attendance)

4/4/2009 Auto Fever Moody Mansion

4/5/2009 3rd Annual Lone Star Triathlon Festival Moody Gardens

4/5/2009 Carnival Conquest 7-Day Cruise Departs from Galveston

4/5/2009 FeatherFest

4/5/2009 Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 7-Day Cruise

• 2 weeks later...
Rudy and Pacos will be open in early April:D

:DYesterday a fun time was had by all from 4 to 8 PM on Post Office Street with live band and free food and beer and wine. A street party and dance with vintage cars and trucks. Merchants paid for it. Weather was beautiful.

Rudy and Pacos will open April 3

Rainforest Pyramid at Moody Gardens is opening April 25

A Gumbo Bar is opening April 11 next door to Sky Bar.

Archived