9 Hours in LAX

Kayak Lover

Hi, after flying back from Tahiti to Heathrow we have approx 9 hours in the airport at Los Angles. Are there any americans out there who can advise how easy it would be for us to do a little bit of sight seeing without missing our connections by getting stuck in traffic back to the airport. We land 6.45am and depart around 16.00.

I saw that there is an underground train is it reliable, what is the most accessible station to get off at to see the must see things?

Sad to be thinking about the return journey before we have even set of on our cruise but I like to have this planned out.

Thanks

Well, 9 hours is some layover. We had the same thing flying back from Sydney to SFO a few years ago. 9 long hours before we could catch our connection.

The only thing I can tell you, as I lived in LA for many years, is that the traffic is horrendous in LA. And getting to anywhere you might want to see could take some time. And the return to the airport afterwards could be a real nail biter.

Personally, I would do a little shopping at the airport, maybe have a nice meal, bring a good book, and just settle for that. Even though I know the area pretty well, I don't think I would chance leaving to go siteseeing with that much time and knowing I HAD to get back in time to go through security again. Depending on the time of day, the security lines themselves can take an hour or more to re-enter the airport.

Remember, by the time you get off the plane, and just walk to the entrance, it could take you the better part of an hour.

So, just getting to the exit from your gate, and then going back through security when you return you can figure at least two hours off the top right there.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. And have a great cruise around Tahiti, it is one of our favorite places in the world.

We've been pondering a similar issue outgoing to Tahiti. We have a 7 hour layover on the way out. I posted to the North American Homeport/West Coast Departures board on this topic.

Unfortunately there are no luggage storage facilities at LAX. There are a couple of off-site facilities close by if you like. They will even pickup and deliver, but for a few hours, seems expensive to do that.

The suggestion was made to rent a car so we could lug our luggage with us. Others warned about the traffic, although we'll be there mid-day on a week day. We might take a cab to one of the luggage facilities, then cab to Venice Beach for lunch.

But consensus is, probably won't. We're lucky enough to have access to Business lounges, so we may just stick it out at the airport.

Hi Kayak Lover

Like the others, I don't think you'll have time to see anything much in LA. We have the same layover coming back from Tahiti and we're just resigned to taking Princess's free day room at the Hilton trying to get a nap, having a shower and off again.

But, hey, that's not the real reason I replied - You're in Grimsby too ! !

Whereabouts do you live (not exact address) and when are you going ?

If you'd like to reply please do so on this board or you can reply on the "11/09/08 Tahitian Princess" roll call board. We live on Laceby Road - are you close by ?

Happy cruising

Emily's Grandad

My husband and I have had long layovers in LA after Tahiti trips before flying home to Boston. This July we will also have a long layover after our Paul Gauguin cruise. Emily's Grandad mentioned a day room at the Radison connected to his Princess cruise. Does anyone know of any other LAX hotels that offer dayrooms? A shower and a nap, sound a lot better than hanging around in the club room ast the airport.

Linda :-)

My husband and I have had long layovers in LA after Tahiti trips before flying home to Boston. This July we will also have a long layover after our Paul Gauguin cruise. Emily's Grandad mentioned a day room at the Radison connected to his Princess cruise. Does anyone know of any other LAX hotels that offer dayrooms? A shower and a nap, sound a lot better than hanging around in the club room ast the airport.

Linda :-)

Just to clarify it was the LAX HILTON

We live about 15 minutes from LAX. I think you can arrange a 5 hour tour that would include Hollywood and Beverly Hills. This would give you 4 hours to get rid of your luggage, and be back to check in two hours before your flight. If you just want to get out of the airport and have an enjoyable day I would suggest Manhattan Beach, a $20 taxi ride, where you can shop, have lunch, walk on the Strand and get a feel for a California beach town, and maybe take in a movie. If you wanted to see the coast you could also hire a car to drive up to Malibu and back. There are many local limo companies that can help you plan a 5 hour stay that would be fun. We went to Tahiti a couple of years ago and can't wait to go back!!!! I am very jealous!!!!

I will be happy to answer any other questions. Cherie

We were on the Tahitiain Princess last April. When we landed in LA after our cruise we were catching a connecting flight to Toronto. We landed in LA along with a number of international flights. It took a long time to clear customs and collect our luggage. There was a very large line to go with the xray machine etc. I think it took almost one hour to go through that alone. We almost missed our plane; even though we had more than a 3 hour difference. You just can't tell how much the airport will be.

Thanks for all the replies, we are flying out on 29th October. We have realised that we land in LAX from Heathrow at 16.05 and do not fly out again until 12.00 on the 30th, our overnight is at the Hilton. So we will investigate our options on that stay for the return journey.

We have a day room allocated to us through Princess at the Marriott Hotel we can drop our cases there on the 10th nov.

Emily's Grandad we live at Holton le Clay, its a small world, I have not met anyone yet in the UK who has travelled to Tahiti, a couple of people been to Fiji i know so all new ground. We fly out of Tahiti on 9th Nov at 20.30 so we may meet if you arrive in the afternoon.

We just returned yesterday from our 22 night trip to Tahiti including 14 nights on the PG. Our layover at LAX was over 8 hours. We used the airport shuttle to go to the Marriott LAX and had a nice lunch and enjoyed watching the football games for a few hours. You can also print boarding passes in their lobby near guest registration.

Cheers, Pam

"return journey starts on the 9th, we may see you at the evening buffet."

We're flying in on the 7th, staying at the IC Papeete, and will probably try to board early in afternoon on the 9th. So maybe we will have a chance to meet. We're very excited because this is our first time in FP.

I believe EG gets there in the early evening on the 9th.

re: the Marriott @ LAX: if you are interested in a tour, see the person at the concierge desk, across the lobby from the registration desk. They have information on tours. I've stayed there pre-cruise 3 times, and like the hotel. We did a 4 hour bus tour post cruise last year, and it was a nice way to spend the time.

Thanks for all the replies, we are flying out on 29th October. We have realised that we land in LAX from Heathrow at 16.05 and do not fly out again until 12.00 on the 30th, our overnight is at the Hilton. So we will investigate our options on that stay for the return journey.

We have a day room allocated to us through Princess at the Marriott Hotel we can drop our cases there on the 10th nov.

Emily's Grandad we live at Holton le Clay, its a small world, I have not met anyone yet in the UK who has travelled to Tahiti, a couple of people been to Fiji i know so all new ground. We fly out of Tahiti on 9th Nov at 20.30 so we may meet if you arrive in the afternoon.

We arrive in Papeete at 19:30 on the 9th so it looks as though you'll be flying back on the same aircraft that we fly in on.

Promise to leave it in the same condition as you leave the ship !

I'll very probably be wearing a black stetson and I have a beard - There's a full description! If you catch sight of us, please say hello.

Mike

Archived