LIVE from the Oosterdam - Oct 11, 2008

nobbync

...This disturbs me about the taxi's not being allowed into the terminal area to drop off people and luggage. We have always been dropped off inside...

This is the same as we found sailing out of San Diego last March. It felt a little confusing, but there were porters to assist those who needed it - and plenty of HAL people directing the procedure.

Hey Nobby,

How exciting to have someone posting this week while they are on the actual cruise. We also sail on the "Winers Cruise" next Saturday with Lisa (Laffnvegas), Shirley (Wandering Winos), Deb (Northshorecruiser). Since this will be our first time on the HAL, it will be wonderful to get a day by day report this week from the ship.

We are also doing the As You Wish Dining, and I would like to know if you are making a reservation each morning for a table at a certain time or just showing up when you are ready to dine and getting seated wherever available. Instructions from HAL seem to be "call each morning for a reservation", but I've also heard other CC's talk about just showing up when they are ready to dine.

I have a feeling you are going to have a full audience on this Board for the coming week. Have a great time, (like anybody cannot have a great time on a cruise).......

Peggy

Yes, the AYWD is a question for us too. One of the reasons we picked it was so we would have the flexability to just eat when we want. There may be a night or two that we'll make a reservation so I'm interested to know how it works either way.

Peggy - Good to see you over here.....it's almost our time!!

Deb

All I can start with was today was an overall incredible day. Taxi picked us up at 10:45 am and we were dropped off at the terminal by 11:10. The check in was a bit crowded as the Radiance of the Seas was also in. This time the terminal wasn’t so organized but not that bad. Taxi’s were not allowed to pull in so we had to get dropped off in front and lug our bags in. The porters were few and far between so we lugged our bags all the way to the check in area and porters were there to take your bags. Hope it’s not like this anytime there are 2 or more ships in. Once we got through that things started to pick up and it went fast. We were in group 9 and were on by about 12:15 where we headed for the lido deck for lunch.

Nobby

Thank you so much for posting all this great information, we will be passing you next week as we board on the 18th.

Questions and concerns about the baggage issue on arriving at the port. In the past we have driven down from the Best Western Bayside hotel and were allowed to leave the main street and drive into a drop off area near the terminal and drop off our bags and leave and drive back to the hotel. Several of us stayed with all the baggage including several cases of wine until the long shore men came to help. Has this changed?

Thanks for all your help.

Shirley

Hello everyone,

Just doing a quick post as I am relaxing before getting ready for dinner tonight. Tonight is the first formal night. Sea's are as calm as can be. It's amazing how calm it is but it's great and hope it stay this way...

Just left the Cruise Critic party hosted by Cathy and Dan so now it's time to relax. THANKS SO MUCH CATHY AND DAN! Wonderful time was had by all. We had it in The Crows Nest and we had nice food and drinks.

Last night I slept like a baby with the gentle rocking. Earlier today my eyes were bigger than my stomach as I ate too much but hope I can eat dinner tonight. Well, I am sure I will survive. Today after lunch Cindy and I spent an hour or so in the thelosatheropy pool and oh how comforting it is. I think it's really worth the price and it's so relaxing.

Sorry to scare people on the baggage. I don't know if later they allwed taxis in or it was because 2 large ships were in and they just may not have had the room, I have no idea as this was the first time we didn't get dropped right off inside with the porters taking our bags. And there was very few porters so not sure what happened. Everything else was smooth as there were people directing you everywhere and check in was fast.

For As You Wish last night we did not make reservations and were seated very fast. They have the no reservation side and the reservation side. Tonight I'll see how it works for formal as we are not making a reservation.

Tonights movie is Indiana Jones so Jem's son has a great Indy coustume...

Well, have to run now and maybe go hit the t-pool again till it's ready for bed.

Nobby

Last year, we stayed across the street and watched the morning procession out and into the ship as we ate breakfast at the little place under the glass elevators at the HI. If I recall correctly they didn't allow taxi's in during the debarkation, but did when that was finished for the embarkation.

There were two ships that day however. When we got off the ship, there were taxi's inside waiting for us.

I think time and the # of ships, might make a differene.

Hugh in Dallas

Nobby, thanks for the info about boarding and the anytime dining. Hope the formal night dining tonight goes as well as last night went. Unfortunately, I believe there will be more than one ship in port next week when we check in, so the traffic will probably be bad again. We'll definitely get there early.

Peggy

Hi Nobby,

Was wondering if you know who the CD is and what kind of entertainment including the piano bar is on board. We don't leave till 01-03 -09 but reading that she's on her schedule is making us really anxious.

Thanks,

Nan - aka Hunzabunz

Hello Everyone,

Tonight was the first of two formal nights. We went to dinner about 6:45 this evening and we did not make an appointment and still were seated really fast. We could not get a table for just the 3 of us but we were seated at a table for 6 with a young couple that were on their honeymoon. They got married 2 days before and they were really great dinner companions. I hope for a long and happy marriage to them.

For the first formal night I had the mahi mahi which came with a shrimp mouse and 2 crab legs. The mahi mahi was excellent. Cindy had the rack of lamb and she also loved it. We all had the 4 mushroom soup and I just want to say it is delicious.

After dinner my mom and Cindy went off to bed since we have an early day in Cabo. We want to rise early enough to see us go around the lands end as the sun rises. I hope to get some good photos. I decided to go to the Captains Party and to see the show Rockin Road which I have seen before but I wanted to take pictures for practice. It was still fun and I felt the singers here were much better than what we had on Zaandam last year.

After the show they had the qualifying rounds for the Oosterdam Superstar competition which is always fun.

I did talk to the Pinacle Staff and yes the special menu has now started. It has been on Oosterdam for a few months from what he said. I am not familiar with what was added but they do have a special section on the menu that he showed me.

The seas are still as calm as can be and the skies are clear. Really nice weather so far but it is getting warmer and warmer. I am sure we will be melting in Mexico soon….

Well, off to bed as tomorrow will be an early morning.

Nobby

Taxi picked us up at 10:45 am and we were dropped off at the terminal by 11:10. The check in was a bit crowded as the Radiance of the Seas was also in. This time the terminal wasn’t so organized but not that bad. Taxi’s were not allowed to pull in so we had to get dropped off in front and lug our bags in. The porters were few and far between so we lugged our bags all the way to the check in area and porters were there to take your bags. Hope it’s not like this anytime there are 2 or more ships in.

Nobby

Just FYI - the taxis were not permitted on the pier when you arrived to check in because the Radiance was still debarking passengers. They finished at approx 11:30. Only empty taxis were allowed on to the pier to pick up departing passengers....

Just FYI - the taxis were not permitted on the pier when you arrived to check in because the Radiance was still debarking passengers. They finished at approx 11:30. Only empty taxis were allowed on to the pier to pick up departing passengers....

Thanks for the information.

Wonder why they were so late in disembarking their passengers

When we board next Saturday, I know that Marcella will be the HM and "Elton Joel" will be one of the entertainers. Nobby - are they on board for your cruise?

Deb, Yes Marcella is on board but Joel when not board till next week when we board because of a death in his family.

Day 3 – It was a beautiful day today in Cabo San Lucas. A little hot but not too bad. Woke up at 6:30 am so we can see as we came around Lands End as the sun was rising. By 7 am we had a great view of the rocks at Lands End as we pulled around to anchor. The skies were a deep blue with beautiful scattered clouds. Look like a nice day ahead of us. Took a few pictures of the area before heading to breakfast on the lido.

I saw the Eggs Benedict area and they had a choice of 8 different types which I had no idea there was such a thing. I had the spinach Florentine and it was delicious. After eating we met at the Vista Lounge for our Lands End and Scenic Drive tour. Many of the Cruise Critic group were on this so we joined up with them. The tour was nice as you start with a large catamaran to sail around. The only thing is you don’t get as close to the rock formations as you do in the smaller boats but on the good side the catamaran is much more stable. It takes you past Lover Beach, Scooby Doo Rock, Sea Lion Rock and Pelican Rock before heading to the Pacific Ocean to the turbulent Divorce Beach. After the boat ride they had air conditioned vans waiting to take us to a restaurant on the water looking back over the bay to Cabo and the ships where they give you a drink and you can just relax and take in the view. The view was really nice. We had nice view of the Oosterdam and NCL Star which was also in port with us.

The late afternoon I spent in the T-Pool which was very relaxing. I think I feel asleep in the water laying on that underwater bed as I drifted off… Later I tried to read in the lounge chairs inside the T-Pool room but it was so relaxing I feel asleep again…

Travelerie – The Oosterdam Superstar is like American Idol complete with the judges that tell it like they see it.

Northshorecruisers – Marcella is onboard and as Lisa said Elton Joel is not on board.

The movie today is Speed Racer.

We were delayed leaving Cabo today as there was a medical emergency. Just before leaving we were delayed for this. I just hope and pray the person is okay. We did see the young lady and her family going off and the good thing is she was sitting up. That would be a terrible way to end a vacation so hope she is okay.

I know some of you who have seen my website and pictures know I like to take pictures of birds and today was nice as I got shots of two that I have never seen before. One was a frigate bird while the other I don’t know what it was but I will be checking when I get home.

As we set sail for Mazatlan close to 6 pm the sun was still high in the sky as the NCL Star was turning around ready to leave as well. I guess they will be with us the entire cruise.

Tonight for dinner we decided to eat on the Lido since everything they had in the dining room we wanted was offered in the Lido. The waiter Edy has been wonderful and we always sit at his tables near the Oriental food station. Tonight I had the Korean barbecue beef which was really good. Also had an interesting quesadilla made with beets which was surprisingly good. The chocolate raspberry cake they had was just outstanding. I think I will be dreaming about it.

I am now just waiting for the Name That Tune TV Theme Song Trivia in the piano lounge at 9. Maybe this one I will be good at.

Next up will be Mazatlan. We have no plans and we’ll just see how hot it is before we decide if we will even leave the ship.

Nobby

Thanks Nobby,

We did that same cruise last time we were in Cabo and loved it. I really enjoyed the restaurant with all the gardens.

Sorry to hear about the person and their family who needed to leave the ship. I hope everything will be fine. My husband was looking at a Cabo Cam last night and was wondering why the Oosterdam was still there.

I take it there must not be much damage from the storms last week.

Looking forward to hearing about Mazatlan!

Nobby, thanks for keeping us posted on your day to day activities on the Oosterdam. Next week will be like deja vu for all of us. We do not have a shore excursion planned for Cabo, but we definitely want some pictures of the rock formations at Lover's Beach so we may take this same tour as you.

Look forward to your day at Mazatlan.

Peggy

Nobby - I am so enjoying your daily posts!

Hope you will update your smugmug webpage with new fotos form your MR cruise - we'll be there NOV 8th.

Was browsing through your beautiful fotos last night and loved those colorful Madarin duck images - so clear and focused - such bright colors. If you don't mind - can you provide some specifications about your camera and lens? Although I'm sure a lot has to do with your photography skills!:)

Archived