Sorry another surcharge question

caribbeansun

At the risk of reopening that can of worms I have to admit I'm curious about something and I will be asking my TA about this but thought I'd pose the question here in case someone has first hand experience:

Given that the most logical airline for the air part of our travel is Air Canada and they've now done away with their fuel surcharges on new bookings AND assuming that at 120 days out O wouldn't have booked the flights as yet (I haven't made final payment so why would they?) - shouldn't there be a credit back for those charges since they now don't have to pay them?

So are you saying that you were already billed the air fuel surcharge? Or are you asking if the cruise lines fuel surcharge would be refunded? Or is this a totally hypothetical question since the air hasn't been booked yet?

It seems totally hypothetical. It also does not consider the fuel that the ship burns.

Yes, the air fuel surcharges are billed by O as part of the cruise fare. They don't book the actual fares for another month or so - therefore, they have charged me for fuel surcharges that won't have to be paid. That's not hypothetical at all as it's on my invoice.

So are you saying that you were already billed the air fuel surcharge? Or are you asking if the cruise lines fuel surcharge would be refunded? Or is this a totally hypothetical question since the air hasn't been booked yet?

therefore, they have charged me for fuel surcharges that won't have to be paid. That's not hypothetical at all as it's on my invoice

Isn't it more accurate to say that they billed you for surcharges that were in effect when you got the quote for your airfare?

I would think that at the time of final payment if the fuel charges are still off the AC flights (if that is who they use) they should adjust your invoice.

Ask your TA to find out

They could use other air carriers though

And the point of your post is what exactly?

Billed, invoiced, charged, - whatever works for you the end result is the same. Have you personally encountered a situation where the line in question did not ultimately have the passenger pay the amount on the invoice? I suspect not which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Isn't it more accurate to say that they billed you for surcharges that were in effect when you got the quote for your airfare?

LHT28 - yes, you're right on that point, they could use another carrier. I guess I'll wait and see which they do in fact use before raising the issue.

Billed, invoiced, charged, - whatever works for you the end result is the same. Have you personally encountered a situation where the line in question did not ultimately have the passenger pay the amount on the invoice

Caribbeansun,

We apologise for any confusion, our post centered on the fact that O had no choice but to bill you for the surcharge as it was in effect when they made the reservation; but might have adjusted your invoice at a later date.

At second glance, however, your situation might be more complexe than that.

As you may be aware, companies such as Carnival which have already "removed" the surcharge, have only done so for NEW bookings. Existing reservations, then, are still being assessed the fuel surcharge.

If the consolidator that O uses, adopts a similar policy, your quandry will revolve around the option of cancelling and rebooking, to avoid the fee, versus holding the existing reservation.

Having just made European airline reservations at the maximum allowable window, we'd much rather pay than switch, but it's personal choice.

We hope this all works out in your favor, though.....

LHT28 - yes, you're right on that point, they could use another carrier. I guess I'll wait and see which they do in fact use before raising the issue.

I would ask your TA now so it will be adjusted before the final payment if that is the case.

Lyn

Archived