I Wish Celebrity Would Treat Us a Little Better

cruisen cracker

The same thing happened to me with the discounted cruise prices. My cruise is now $1300 cheaper for two people in a CC !

The discounted prices are on the Celebrity website since the beginning of the week. When I specify over 55 or enter my state of residence the discounted price shows up. When I called Celebrity they said it's a Happy Hours sale for new bookings only.

I just feel like Celebrity smacked their loyal customers in the face with this sale. They could have given upgrades to those of us already booked and sold the other cabins at a discounted rate. I doubt I'll ever book Celebrity in advance again.

The answer is very simple.

It appears that Celebrity is having last minute distress sales where they are selling suites for less than people with existing bookings paid for balcony cabins. Instead of doing that, they should offer free upgrades to people with existing balcony reservations and then sell those balcony cabins for that exact same distress price.

That would be a win win situation for everyone.

People with existing reservations will be getting a suite for what they paid for a balcony cabin.

People with new reservations will be getting balcony cabins for much less than they previously cost.

Celebrity will be reinforcing the message that it pays to book early and the best marketing any company can do is to keep their existing clientele happy. After all it is easier to keep existing clients than to attract new ones, and happy clients are much better advertising than any TV ad.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is so easy, that I cannot fathom why everyone can't see it. Wouldn't it make sense to keep your loyal fan-base happy, so that repeat cruisers will continue to be just that? It seems to me that in these uncertain financial times, cruise companies would be frantic to keep their proven, solid customers; and if they can attract new ones, so much the better.

This is probably along the same lines as some other threads but its the first time it happened to me lately and I'm upset.

I cruised on Celebrity and RCL a number of times (A founder member of the CC, for what its worth)but not in the last few years. I had been going on HAL and Princess but thought I would go back to Celebrity. Booked a veranda cabin on the Constellation for November. A couple of days ago Celebrity came out with a "Happy Hour" rate for a Sky suite on our cruise for less than we paid for a 2B cabin. I thought, if they were giving such a good deal on the Sky Suite, maybe for a few hundred they would upgrade us to one. No way! They wanted $1400 more per person (Only $99 less than the total fare they were now advertising)! When talking to Celebrity, I ask what if I canceled my current booking and booked the Sky Suite at the new rate. I was politely informed that I would incur a $1,600+ cancellation penalty. Well this will be my last cruise on Celebrity. Again, the agent was polite but there appeared to be no wiggle room. I can't figure out if I just need to drop this or is there any other way? There are too many other lines out there who try harder to please. Do I want something for nothing? No, I'm willing to pay a fair rate, but I don't like being treated this way.

Now that I've vented, I still don't feel good. Hope this doesn't put a damper on the entire cruise.

Bob

I am not trying to sound harsh but I think Celebrity cruisers are getting spoiled because Celebrity has regularly allowed refunds/price drops., etc after final payment. I do not know any other cruise line who does this, and certainly the airlines don't. As you know on HAL once you make final payment that is your price. It's the same for all the small cruise lines (non mass market lines) we have been on as well.

I also think Celebrity can drive one crazy because of their daily price increases and decreases. It is like looking at an airline web site. This can work to ones advantage on a Celebrity cruise, but after they do this passengers expect price adjustments (I'm calling an adjustment the same as moving to a higher category room at a lower rate than if you had paid prior to final) after final payment.

The cruise line is in business to make money and are trying to sell unsold cabins a month or so prior to the cruise. Imagine if everyone called and wanted the last minute booking price....

The same thing happened to me with the discounted cruise prices. My cruise is now $1300 cheaper for two people in a CC !

The discounted prices are on the Celebrity website since the beginning of the week. When I specify over 55 or enter my state of residence the discounted price shows up. When I called Celebrity they said it's a Happy Hours sale for new bookings only.

I just feel like Celebrity smacked their loyal customers in the face with this sale. They could have given upgrades to those of us already booked and sold the other cabins at a discounted rate. I doubt I'll ever book Celebrity in advance again.

I'd call again about the 55 discount. We received a State discount earlier this year for our cruise in March after final payment.

EXACTLY!!!! You nailed it!!! Can you call Celebrity and explain it to them???

I have been following these boards for a long time and have never seen so many upset passengers. There's another new thread tonight. Of course I understand that the economy is unusually bad. But if we can figure it out, why can't they? This is a time to be making really smart business decisions, not alienating your loyal base.

cp

No...people here just think they have it all figured out. There is so many upset passengers because they think cruise lines are charity organizations but in fact they are a business trying to remain afloat for a lack of a better word in this tough economic situation.

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but acccording to your list you've been on one previous Celebrity cruise.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is so easy, that I cannot fathom why everyone can't see it. Wouldn't it make sense to keep your loyal fan-base happy, so that repeat cruisers will continue to be just that? It seems to me that in these uncertain financial times, cruise companies would be frantic to keep their proven, solid customers; and if they can attract new ones, so much the better.

YES, we would have paid more so we could upgrade our cabin, we booked ONE year ago, and yes we are happy with our cabin, BUT, it wouldn't cost Celebrity ONE DIME to upgrade us and sell our present cabin at their fire sale. Not a good taste in everyone's mouth. We are still going to love our cruise but will definitely think about booking that far ahead again!!!! And we didn't know they did this every year! Nancie and Jim:eek:

I don't quite get how they will be netting more in the long run. It's like saying you go to a department store and buy a dress, you come back months later and find one that's on sale that originally cost more than your dress did. The sale price on the new dress is still more than what you paid for your dress so they should give you your money back so you can buy the sale dress. Then they can sell your original dress at a sale price too.

It sounds like a wonderful deal for the customer but if all businesses operated this way they would soon be out of business.

This is a very poor analogy, but to use your example, the difference here is that you go in and pay for the dress but the store has to order it for you, whilst you're waiting the store has a sale of the exact same dress at a large discount to the price you have prepaid at, but only offers the discounted price for new orders.

How do you feel now while your waiting for your dress to be delivered??????

Celebrity is screwing over their most loyal customers and the they will get exactly what they deserve in future years despite the limited support from their apologists.

:) We are booked on The Solstice Maiden Voyage. I saw the price went down & called my TA. She called Celebrity & I just got my credit card bill & there was a price adjustment from Celebrity & they credited us $190.00.

Aside from what has been mentioned, there is another reason why it is important for Celebrity to keep its existing clientele happy.

There are a lot of people who love Celebrity so much that they feel there is no need to try another cruise line or are basing their opinion of another cruise line on an experience that they had years ago.

If Celebrity antagonizes any of these passengers they might be tempted to try another cruise line and then discover that they like that cruise line more than Celebrity.

I am not trying to sound harsh but I think Celebrity cruisers are getting spoiled because Celebrity has regularly allowed refunds/price drops., etc after final payment. I do not know any other cruise line who does this, and certainly the airlines don't. As you know on HAL once you make final payment that is your price. It's the same for all the small cruise lines (non mass market lines) we have been on as well.

I also think Celebrity can drive one crazy because of their daily price increases and decreases. It is like looking at an airline web site. This can work to ones advantage on a Celebrity cruise, but after they do this passengers expect price adjustments (I'm calling an adjustment the same as moving to a higher category room at a lower rate than if you had paid prior to final) after final payment.

The cruise line is in business to make money and are trying to sell unsold cabins a month or so prior to the cruise. Imagine if everyone called and wanted the last minute booking price....

Crystal does!

See there policy in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=860465&highlight=crystal

I am also an early booker who was a victim of Celebrity's indifference (see my thread entitled "Celebrity will probably lose my future business" . When, in a fire sale, the 14 day Dec. 5 Panama Canal cruise that I had booked in May (and for which they held and utilized $900 deposit for months) went down to half what I paid, they would do nothing for me. My TA tried very hard; talked to agents and supervisors. They would not change my price; they would not offer an upgrade: and they would not give even a token onboard credit.

I booked a FV room on the Century (4th time on this beautiful ship) on 10/18/08 at one of the happy hour prices. My TA confirmed the bed consisted of two twins together, which is what we have had on previous sailings on this ship. After reading posts on this board, I realized the bed was a double which would not work for us. I called Celebrity on 10/19/08 to inquire about the bed and was assured it was a queen. I attempted to upgrade to a SS on 10/20/08 to ensure we had a large comfortable bed but was told I could not do so because it was considered a new booking and I could not take advantage of the low price for an SS. When asked why I didn't book the SS two days ago, I explained the bedding situation and was told the bed was indeed a double. Does this sound confusing to you??? I understand others frustration over not being able to upgrade at the sale price. I realize I got a great price on a FV at a happy hour price but this was just two days ago and the sale is still going on. This makes no sense to me. :eek:

I took the advice of several of you and contacted Celebrity again. They responded in a reasonable time but completely missed the point of my request by assuming that I wanted a lower price for my cabin and then proceeded to explain their marketing plan for unsold cabins.

I followed-up with a second e-mail by explaining that I didn't want a lower price for my cabin, I just wanted the opportunity to upgrade for a reasonable amount. If you will remember, for my cruise they wanted $1,499 for a Sky Suite pp(new booking) and $1,400 pp more from me(who had already paid more than that for a 2B cabin) for an upgrade. This is the reply I received:

"Unfortunately, we cannot offer you a price that does not exist. Our current prevailing rate for the Sky Suite category is $2899.00 per person cruisefare and that is the price that we would have to sell it for.

We apologize for your disappointment."

Talk about smoothly phrased doubletalk. They are selling the cabin for $1,499 in their Happy Hour sale (telling me it was $2,899pp), telling me the upgrade price doesn't exist (after telling my agent it would be $1,400 pp) and apologizing for my disappointment.

Apology considered but not accepted (apologize for misleading statements?) and still disappointed in Celebrity.

Bob

It is interesting to see the difference between the way Celebrity has been treating its loyal customers vs how other businesses are treating them in this economy.

Last week I got a random call from the branch manager of our bank to make sure I am happy with the service I have been receiving from them. This was the first time I ever received a call of that nature from a bank.

At restaurants lately, when an owner goes around to various tables to make sure everything is okay, he actually spends time engaging in conversation with his patrons instead of just the usual formalities.

The day after our new sofa was delivered a few weeks ago, the sales person who sold it to us called to make sure everything was okay. This was also a first for us in all the years we have been buying furniture.

It seems that Celebrity is becoming less service oriented at a time when other businesses are doing just the opposite to let their customers know how much they appreciate their business.

Got exactly the same message via my TA--I feel your pain! Like you, I was [U]not[/U] asking for a refund down to the sale price, just the opportunity to upgrade for a reasonable fee--which is MUCH more than they are selling the cabins for now. . .all I can say is, 'tis a puzzlement!

:( Cathy

Archived