fixed or flexible dining?

brandygirlo

We would appreciate any input as to the dining options. We have only been on one cruise years ago. We were assigned a table for the entire cruise with the same people every night. We find it uncomfortable as the other people at the table were cruising together so we were left out - our two teenage children and us.

We are planning a cruise next June. We are traveling with another couple. They prefer fixed, late seating so they can meet other people. We are concerned about being locked into a specific time with the same people every night.

Can anyone explain how this works and make recommendations? could we sign up for fixed dining and then, if on any particular day, we wish to go earlier or use flexible, can we do that?

Thanks for any and all opinions and thoughts

On our last two cruises we have used the open seating with great success.

We make our reservations for 7:00 pm and this is the perfect dinner time for us. Time to rest before if had a very active day and early enough to make a night of it after dinner. The shows are at 6 & 9 pm so we can see the 9:00 pm show without any problems.

Ruth & Jim

You will not be able to switch between fixed seating and anytime seating. You will need to choose one or the other. But any night (if you're in fixed seating) you can choose to dine in the Pinnacle Grill or the Lido at a different time. Just let your tablemates and/or wait staff know so they won't wait on you.

There are lots of opinions on which dining arrangement is better. We have always enjoyed fixed seating. We have been fortunate to enjoy our tablemates, and it was nice to get to know them better as the cruise progressed. The wait staff gets to know you better, too, having your preferred beverage ready for you when you're seated, whether or not to serve coffee at the end of the meal, etc.

Anytime dining does keep you from being tied to the same people each evening. But it can get tiresome going through the whole introduction thing every night. You will have to make reservations every day if you want the same table or servers. I choose not to do that. Some are successful in doing this, and others aren't. If you aren't, you could be subject to a wait for a table. While that's the land-based way of dining, I prefer to enjoy the crusing tradition of walking in and being immediately seated every evening.

We would appreciate any input as to the dining options. We have only been on one cruise years ago. We were assigned a table for the entire cruise with the same people every night. We find it uncomfortable as the other people at the table were cruising together so we were left out - our two teenage children and us.

We are planning a cruise next June. We are traveling with another couple. They prefer fixed, late seating so they can meet other people. We are concerned about being locked into a specific time with the same people every night.

Can anyone explain how this works and make recommendations? could we sign up for fixed dining and then, if on any particular day, we wish to go earlier or use flexible, can we do that?

If you want the flexibility of having different table mates through the cruise, the open seating option is your only choice in the DR. As Jim H explained, you can't change except for the first day, space available. You can make reservations when in open seating, the available times vary by ship, but do cover the general times for early and late dining. With open seating, reservations are not required and you can show up at the desired dining time and they'll seat you when space is available. If you go with fixed seating and are assigned, your table mates will be the same for the full cruise.

I've had open seating and found good success in getting a reservation for the table and time desired.

Our needs/tastes agree with Jim's (jhannah). I get SO tired of the same conversation each and every time we are seated with strangers - where do you live , how many cruises and where, how do you like this cruise (often followed by why their 'regular' cruise line is SO much better in some areas).....

Even though we did have "confirmed Main Upper" on the E'dam's 3-day prelude, we were assigned 'open' seating when we checked in at the pier. One of those traveling with us in a suite was able to have the concierge get a set table/time for our group, but on the 'open' seating level. I would have thought this would have been fine, however I noticed something I hadn't expected with the 'open' seating. With the traditional/fixed seating everyone comes in pretty much at the same time. Then the only ones moving about the dining room while we are eating are the staff. With the open seating passengers coming and going throughout the meal service - PLUS the staff seating them and then returning to podium area to seat more - there was a LOT of hustle and bustle and accompanying noise. Not the relaxed dining experience we expect on HAL. It seemed more like the Lido (or any cafeteria) at a busy time. :eek:

Just got off the Maasdam. Had fixed main seating. Loved it! I travel solo and really like the opportunity to have the same dinner partners each night and the same wait-staff. At a table for eight, it's pretty easy to mix and match. We all changed seats each night after the 2nd night, which made it a little tough on the wine steward...he couldn't have our wine waiting til we'd chosen our seats...but made it a lot of fun for all of us! (two couples, two women traveling together, me and another female solo). On this cruise, though, early seating was at 5:15 and late was at 7:30. I liked the change, but, did hear some grumbling from the early diners. Many of them, though, just waited til 5:30 to enter the dining room. Held up late seating more than usual. Not sure if Maasdam will continue this experiment!

This is all, though, a very personal decision. Were I with a large group of friends (enough to fill the table), I'd probably go with flexible, but, as a solo, I prefer the fixed.

I really appreciate the comments. WE have only obeen on one cruise years ago when traveling with our two children, pre-teen and teen. We found ourselves with the same people for the entire cruise and they were all one group so we felt separated from them Part of it could be because we were with our children. I just didn't want that experience again.

Thanks

I really appreciate the comments. WE have only obeen on one cruise years ago when traveling with our two children, pre-teen and teen. We found ourselves with the same people for the entire cruise and they were all one group so we felt separated from them Part of it could be because we were with our children. I just didn't want that experience again.

Thanks

You are aware that you can easily change tables if you don't feel the table is 'right' for you, don't you? All you need to do is ask the Dining Room Manager (formerly known as the Matire 'd) after dinner. You don't need to be stuck with that experience.

Now I get it. I've been trying to figure out why you're worried about being 'stuck'. If you're feeling at all excluded (or REALLY rude, arrogant, whatever..) about your tablemates the first night, just a discrete word to the Dining Room Manger. Sometime the next day you'll receive in your cabin a new table assignment. Good luck - we've been cruising since 1980 and only once did we have one person at our table that I could easily have done without.

Thanks

Years ago we were assigned to a table on NCL that was part of a 50th anniversary celebration -- the first night everyone was jumping up and down and going from table to table -- horrible!! We were outcasts.

Saw the maitre'd after dinner and got our table changed for the rest of the cruise.

You will not be able to switch between fixed seating and anytime seating. You will need to choose one or the other. But any night (if you're in fixed seating) you can choose to dine in the Pinnacle Grill or the Lido at a different time. Just let your tablemates and/or wait staff know so they won't wait on you.

There are lots of opinions on which dining arrangement is better. We have always enjoyed fixed seating. We have been fortunate to enjoy our tablemates, and it was nice to get to know them better as the cruise progressed. The wait staff gets to know you better, too, having your preferred beverage ready for you when you're seated, whether or not to serve coffee at the end of the meal, etc.

Anytime dining does keep you from being tied to the same people each evening. But it can get tiresome going through the whole introduction thing every night. You will have to make reservations every day if you want the same table or servers. I choose not to do that. Some are successful in doing this, and others aren't. If you aren't, you could be subject to a wait for a table. While that's the land-based way of dining, I prefer to enjoy the crusing tradition of walking in and being immediately seated every evening.

Ditto, I agree fully!!

On HAL, the dining is now called "As You Wish Dining" broken down into two options: Fixed Seating and Open Seating.

We had Open Seating on our last cruise and it worked extremely well. We made reservations for the same table for two by the window...to our right was a table for eight (same table we'd had the year earlier with friends and Fixed Dining at that time), and to our left, other "tables for two."

We made reservations for this table most evenings...and chatted with the people at the tables on either side of us. Still, we had our own table. Worked great...I hope to do this again on our next cruises on the Noordam.

Our needs/tastes agree with Jim's (jhannah). I get SO tired of the same conversation each and every time we are seated with strangers - where do you live , how many cruises and where, how do you like this cruise (often followed by why their 'regular' cruise line is SO much better in some areas).....

Even though we did have "confirmed Main Upper" on the E'dam's 3-day prelude, we were assigned 'open' seating when we checked in at the pier. One of those traveling with us in a suite was able to have the concierge get a set table/time for our group, but on the 'open' seating level. I would have thought this would have been fine, however I noticed something I hadn't expected with the 'open' seating. With the traditional/fixed seating everyone comes in pretty much at the same time. Then the only ones moving about the dining room while we are eating are the staff. With the open seating passengers coming and going throughout the meal service - PLUS the staff seating them and then returning to podium area to seat more - there was a LOT of hustle and bustle and accompanying noise. Not the relaxed dining experience we expect on HAL. It seemed more like the Lido (or any cafeteria) at a busy time. :eek:

Is there an option to get your own table? I don't mind waiting.

On Princess we had our own table every night. I don't enjoy eating with others as I'm not much of a conversationalist.

Bill

On HAL, the dining is now called "As You Wish Dining" broken down into two options: Fixed Seating and Open Seating.

We had Open Seating on our last cruise and it worked extremely well. We made reservations for the same table for two by the window...to our right was a table for eight (same table we'd had the year earlier with friends and Fixed Dining at that time), and to our left, other "tables for two."

We made reservations for this table most evenings...and chatted with the people at the tables on either side of us. Still, we had our own table. Worked great...I hope to do this again on our next cruises on the Noordam.

Our AYWD table for 2 by the window was perfect, and the people around were close enough to say hello and chat to but also far enough away that we could have privacy. We really liked being able to see the meal selections that those who arrived before us had chosen. We didnt really notice a lot of coming and going, but when it did happen, it added to the subtle people watching, rather than being like a cafeteria.

:D :D :D

Yes, HAL does have some tables for two. On the E'dam we finally got tired of the conversation thing, so if we weren't dining with our friends at breakfast or lunch, we asked for a 2-top. They either weren't in the greatest locations (along a BUSY walkway) or they were SO close to other 2-tops we might as well been seated at the same table with them. :rolleyes:

On Princess we had our own table every night. I don't enjoy eating with others as I'm not much of a conversationalist.

Bill

Yes, as Mary Ellen wrote. You have 2 options:

1. Show up when you want and request a two top - you might have to wait.

2. Make a reservation (certain time restrictions may apply) requesting a two top. Reservations open at 8AM each morning.

I had open seating on a 15 day Hawaiian cruise and got a two top each night. Most of the nights I was able to get the same table. The only exception was when I forgot to call at 8.

My story goes like this....my DH and I were on our first cruise last month. We were on our anniversary and really wanted a quiet, romantic table for 2....but, we were assigned a large table. We went down to the dining room to see where our table was going to be and we saw it was large table. We were good sports and sort of shrugged and said that we would enjoy it anyway. Funny...there were a couple of workers down there and they helped us find our table. Not sure if they heard our conversation or not....but an hour or so later, we received a phone call from the dining room manager. He said that he wondered if we would be aggreable to switching to a table for 2. We said "Sure would!" Still not sure if it was purely surrendipity or if they just knew. But, we were happy and had a wonderfully romantic dining room experience. We also tipped him well. He deserved it.

Archived