Fold out sofa beds

Tesanrick

Hello,

We are sailing on Vision of the Seas in an aft cabin on Deck 7. There are 4 of us - me and my DH, a teenage son and 9 year old girl. According to RCCL, the fold out couch is a queen size. Even still, it's not ideal for the two kids to share a bed, and evidently, roll-aways are not an option. So, they suggested splitting the main bed we were going to sleep in into two single beds for the kids, then we would sleep on the couch. The main question would be how comfortable is the mattress on the couch? Hubby has a bad back, and this could be an issue.

Thanks for any thoughts or past experiences with the bedding.

I wouldn't do it! They are not great for full-sized people. Children won't mind it, but anyone over 100lbs will find it uncomfortable. Perhaps the 9 yo wouldn't mind "camping" on the floor--use the comforter off the bed as a mattress.

I would NOT give up a comfy bed to children!

Our two daughters (now ages 12 and 16) have slept on the sofa bed for our past three cruises (since last year) and have never complained about it! They say it's very comfortable. I even offered to ask for an eggcrate mattress on their first cruise, but they said they didn't need it.

The only problem we have ever encountered with it is that it only leaves about a 1 to 2 foot walk space to get to the bathroom in the night.

Hope this helps!

My 10-year-old son slept on the fold-out sofa during our recent Enchantment cruise. The first night was pretty bad. That night, our cabin stewardess took two of the white duvets and sheets to make a "mattress topper." It was very comfortable then.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

How do I request an eggcrate? Do I request ahead of time or do I just ask the cabin steward when we arrive?

I don't want to switch cabins because we have a corner aft, which we've never had before. I think I'm more excited about that than any other aspect of the cruise!

Thanks again for all the help.

Tesanrick..... You can ask whomever you booked with to request the eggcrate for you. If it is not there when you board ask your cabin steward. It should be not problem for him/her to get it for you. Enjoy your aft cabin!!!

I requested my TA contact Royal Caribbean and request an eggcrate thing and was told we have one reserved for us... we will have 3 adults sharing a balcony cabin so we've decided to each take 2 nights on the sofa bed..... wish us luck!

Just a suggestion...If you put the sofa bed mattress on the floor, then you don't have to deal with the bar, springs and uneven support. We used to do this at home when we had a cheap sofa bed. If its on the floor, then maybe the kids could share. It would be more like camping out or a sleepover. The sofa would also be available, minus the mattress, and one of the kids could use the cushions for a little more comfort.

I slept on the sofa bed on a recent Enchantment cruise. I'm 5'3 and 100lbs (49years old, so not a child, just for some perspective). I found it relatively comfortable. Not the most comfortable thing I ever slept in, but not unbearable like some fold aways. I'm not sure your husband will be comfortable if he has a bad back, but definitely try the egg crate thing. I heard they work well. I would say put your kids in sofa bed with the egg crate and it should be fine.

Archived