Is a move from a sy guar, to a now posted ss a good thing

the col.

We are sailing on the Westerdam on November 16th. Just received room assignment yesterday. My sister and her husband were a guarantee SY and they were given a SS room, Deck 8 right next to the outside elevator! It looks like they are right below one of the dining areas on the Lido. I told them that since it was an "upgrade" it had to be better. They both are light sleepers, so I guess ear plugs are in order, just in case. We were a guarantee VH and were given a VA assignment on Deck 8 as well (last VA cabin on the port side). Right over the pool area. I'm happy! And of course, we'll be sailing on the Westerdam, enjoying the cruise and our vacation together! Who could ask for more?? Hope you enjoy your cabin and cruise as well.

I've been in an SS right under the Lido deck bar/pool area. The moving of chairs and tables was an issue. Very disturbing to me. I learned from it, though, and won't ever let that happen again. I'm sure HAL gave it to you because few people will pick that cabin location for that very reason.

This is for Jim--thank you for your honest answer about the noise--did you speak to anyone about the noise?If so what was the answer you were given?Is the noise that bad?Should we consider calling the cruise company--or do we just hope for the best--please let me know--thanks the C--

... did you speak to anyone about the noise?If so what was the answer you were given?
Yes, I did. On the second consecutive day this happened I went up and spoke (kindly) with the deck steward. I asked if he could pick up the chairs and tables while rearranging them. (They're very light weight.) He gave me a rather blank stare, then picked up the next two chairs to move them. Later on, he was back scooting them across the deck. It was very early morning, and sleeping in a bit longer would have been nice.

It DID bother me. It's an irritating sound when it continues for a period of time. If you're a good sound sleeper, it probably won't matter.

Not sure about the noise problem, you can always bring earplugs.

But, depending on how long it is until you sail and how full the ship is, I'd keep checking the website for price/availability. If price goes down, call and ask for refund, they'll probably upgrade you instead. That's what happened to me.

I started out with sz guarantee, price dropped, upgraded to SY. Then price dropped again (less than $50), called upgraded to SS. Called again, got SC. Finally assigned SB. Didn't like location, called and it was switched.

I did not make the calls, my TA did. But, each time she didn't think they'd do it and they did. Stay on top of it and always ask, it doesn't hurt! We were travelling with friends and wanted connecting cabins. They started with VE assigned (because there were 3 of them). I always asked if they could upgrade too. The offered an upsell for $200 cabin to SY. Then we were finally on same "level" and they upgraded them with us also for then on. Even my TA was surprised with my persistence and our upgrades!

It probably helped that it was the 3 day and the ship was not full at that point. I did finally mount a final push for SA upgrade with connecting cabins, but by then they were sold out. But SB was fantastic and I'll always book a suite or just not go. It made the trip!!!:D

I have checked and re-checked and my Nov. 1, 2008 cruise on the Oosterdam is sold out. I don't really like my location underneath the Lido pool deck and lido restaurant, but I guess that is what I get for booking a guarantee. I think I have only done that one other time. The rate was awesome this time so I tried it again. I normally definitely like to pick my cabin.

When I call they say they can't even look at the inventory because they are all sold out but yet 3 days ago I got called to see if I wanted to upsell from my category SS to an SA. I know alot of people would have jumped at this opportunity for $500.00 for the cabin but I thought $500.00 could be better spent elsewhere. I thought I've never had all those neat extra perks that the SA cabins had so I can still do without them. The best thing to me seemed to be able to have an SA cabin would be down one deck which would be between passenger decks which is always better. I wish I would have gotten the SY guarantee that I originally bought, but as a previous poster wrote something like - A day cruising is always better than a day at work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in an SS below the Midship Lido...

...Yes, I heard a few chairs scraping around up above, but it certainly didn't bother me in the least - and I'm a late sleeper.

(Then again, I live in Downtown San Francisco where most every night I hear traffic, horns, sirens, screaming homeless people, the neighbors next door/upstairs, traffic accidents, helicopters...)

;)

We just received our GUAR assignment - went to an SS on the Navigation deck and at first I was nervous. But we're not right under the pool and thankfully we're not right under the Lido so I feel pretty good about we are. I will report back after the cruise if there are any issues the location :)

We were in SS8075 on the Oosterdam and thought it was a great cabin location. Hears a little noise from above, but nothing that disturbed us. It was nice being close to the midship elevators and only one deck from the Lido. Booked in an SS again in Feb. on Noordam. Have a great trip.

Had friends on the Navigation deck on the Oosterdam in VD 8064 and they said they didn't notice any noise from the Lido deck above them. I peeked in and looked at the SS category rooms on that deck and they are really nice. I originally was assigned an SS category room but got hit by the upgrade fairy to an SA. If one can afford an SA category, they are really great. Loved it!

But, the SS category is totally adequate and bigger than the typical balcony cabins. SS category does not get to use the Neptune Lounge which was really helpful.

Archived