Pearl restaurant dress codes

mtwingcpa

From a trip aboard the Pearl a couple of weeks ago, here are photos of the restaurant dress code signs. The first is the sign that was posted at all of the restaurants other than the "designated" Summer Palace dining room. The second is the sign from the Summer Palace.

Note that they refer to "whatever" in the Garden Cafe (buffet). That (unfortunately, in my opinion) included sleeveless shirts on men.

621217316_Panama0908501(Small).jpg.d1def9ae7d3a9af48758734c6ad4d746.jpg

111853733_Panama0908499(Small).jpg.ce233f6ea81296d9227749d631c6f059.jpg

I think people going to the buffet don't care what they wear. To me, IMO, NCL doesn't care either, so I guess that we shouldn't worry either. Personally, I don't think they are appropriate, just like I don't think that ball hats should be worn anywhere when dining.

Geez, if only we lived in a perfect world, I would like to see --------------------, but we don't so I guess we have to just let people do what they want in the buffet.

Personally, I don't think they are appropriate, just like I don't think that ball hats should be worn anywhere when dining.

Yeah, I agree with you on the ball caps. Fortunately the vast majority of buffet customers were suitably dressed (typically shorts with a tee or polo shirt). Tanks tops or SOILED athletic wear should be limited to the pool area in my opinion.

From what I could tell, they didn't enforce the dress code in the Summer Palace restaurant. We saw a number of men enter with shorts and were allowed to stay (not that I really care, but if they have a policy (and they do after 5pm, no shorts, no jeans) they should stick to it)). Did see one gentleman turned away but the Captain was there and they went after him and allowed him to dine as is. Personally, I like the formal nights as it adds an element of 'out of the ordinary' which afterall is somewhat the mystique of a cruise vacation.

At the Teppanyaki restaurant at 5:30PM my husband was told he couldn't wear shorts, so he ran to the room and changed to slacks. After we were seated a large family came in. All the men and boys were in shorts and one of the grown women had short shorts on!

I don't mind rules but it does irk me when there is absolutely no effort to be consistent in the application of the rules. Afterall, the large group was seated only minutes after we were.

One morning in the Graden Cafe area, a man, maybe about 35, arrived and sat near us. He was wearing flannel pajama bottoms and a t-shirt! His hair was a mess. It hadn't been combed. Well, the sign did say "whatever." I do think that was pushing the envelope however. I really do not want to eat with people who just roll out of bed and head for a public dining area with no preparation for facing the public.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in on this topic. I have been on many cruises and I have seen lots of things go that are "against the rules". I feel that once you pay your money, they crew is not going to stop you from going to any restaurant in shorts. My experience on RCCL, Carnival, and NCL a long time ago, is that the staff on the ship nevers stops any one at dinner. Normally, on the first night of the cruise, anything goes, as people may have not gotten their luggage by dinner time. I saw a man on RCCL's formal night wearing a t-shirt that looks like a tuxedo from the front and a pair of jeans and no one said 1 words to him. I am just worried that people on NCL will take it too far and not get dressed up at night at all. We are booked on the pearl on 1/18/09, and the best part of packing is going to be that I dont have to pack a suit in my bag and have my DW nag me to put it on once we are on board. Really, if you think about it, all cruise ships these days are resort casual, they just don't want to admit it.

Howard from Philly..........GO PHILLIES!!!

That's not true. I've done 3 RCCL, 2 HAL, 2 Princess, 1 Disney, and 2 Carnival...

I have seen people 'turned away' because of attire or behavior...

so it is NOT 'anything goes' are they consistant?

No...which is the MAIN problem. If they stuck to the 'turn people away' or 'don't turn people away' it work better...

I work in Education, and it's the same thing..you must be consistant w/ kids... either punishment for doing something wrong EVERYTIME, or not... but it must be EVERYTIME...

We just got back from a week on the Pearl and I can say I did see them enforce the dress code to the letter when we were dining. This includes Summer Palace, Lottus Garden, Teppanyaki and Cagneys. I am not saying rules were not broken, I am just saying when we were dining we saw them enforce the dress code and turn people away at all of those venues that were not dressed according to the dress code of time of day.

We just got back from a week on the Pearl and I can say I did see them enforce the dress code to the letter when we were dining. This includes Summer Palace, Lottus Garden, Teppanyaki and Cagneys. I am not saying rules were not broken, I am just saying when we were dining we saw them enforce the dress code and turn people away at all of those venues that were not dressed according to the dress code of time of day.

Good for the Pearl! Although we're not super dressy people, I do appreciate people dressing appropriately - it shows respect for one's self and for others.

Lindsay e-mailed and said she met you and got a hug! Thanks!!

Good for the Pearl! Although we're not super dressy people, I do appreciate people dressing appropriately - it shows respect for one's self and for others.

Lindsay e-mailed and said she met you and got a hug! Thanks!!

Lindsay is beautiful and it was a pleasure to meet her. I'm sorry to say after we met her that first day we didn't have the pleasure of bumping into her again, but it was so nice to be able to meet her. Such a wonderful young lady. I know you are extremely proud of her.

Lindsay is beautiful and it was a pleasure to meet her. I'm sorry to say after we met her that first day we didn't have the pleasure of bumping into her again, but it was so nice to be able to meet her. Such a wonderful young lady. I know you are extremely proud of her.

Thanks, Terry - we are proud of her. She has turned into a very sweet young lady. We can't wait to see her Thanksgiving week!

I wish you had run into her during the week, but they keep them pretty busy with rehearsals and their "extra" jobs!

That's not true. I've done 3 RCCL, 2 HAL, 2 Princess, 1 Disney, and 2 Carnival...

I have seen people 'turned away' because of attire or behavior...

so it is NOT 'anything goes' are they consistant?

No...which is the MAIN problem. If they stuck to the 'turn people away' or 'don't turn people away' it work better...

I work in Education, and it's the same thing..you must be consistant w/ kids... either punishment for doing something wrong EVERYTIME, or not... but it must be EVERYTIME...

Meg we were on the same cruises I am sure- since I am your mother. Do you remember the Mariner of the Seas cruise we took and that family, two tables away? Jeans, sneakers and sloganed teeshirts the whole week, even on formal night.

There was also the time you weren't with us, that your Dad and I were on the Miracle. We had dirty stinky people in old tattered jeans at a table near us, on formal night. Your Dad was complaining about the guy in the booth next to us in his tropicial shirt and shorts until I pointed out the people at the table across from us. At least he was clean. They weren't.

I guess what bothered me is about when we traveled those two ships, is that we paid top dollar for both of those ships, as they were brand new at the time. But you are right,other crusies when we had paid "bargain" fares, everyone was dressed nicely.

I also remember on Disney Wonder, your Dad and one other guy being the only guys in ties and sportcoats in that one dinning room, I think it was calleed Titans? I mean the one where we were told to dress up for, besides Palos.

Also, that same cruise in a more casual restaurant, the one where the colors changed, where dress was casual, but still no shorts, we had a guy in shorts and leather sandels that were basialy a leather flip flop sitting near us.

What about our last HAL cruise? Our tablemate wore jeans to dinner. Of course she was not the only one, I saw others.

So, even though we have seen people turned away, we have also seen those that were not. To me what was acceptable, seemed to be the whim of the head waiter, as on other cruises, the same line, the same exact dress was not allowed. It seems to me, that people on the whole do not want to "dress" for dinner anymore and ALL the lines have relaxed their dress codes.

At the Teppanyaki restaurant at 5:30PM my husband was told he couldn't wear shorts, so he ran to the room and changed to slacks. After we were seated a large family came in. All the men and boys were in shorts and one of the grown women had short shorts on!

I don't mind rules but it does irk me when there is absolutely no effort to be consistent in the application of the rules. Afterall, the large group was seated only minutes after we were.

One morning in the Graden Cafe area, a man, maybe about 35, arrived and sat near us. He was wearing flannel pajama bottoms and a t-shirt! His hair was a mess. It hadn't been combed. Well, the sign did say "whatever." I do think that was pushing the envelope however. I really do not want to eat with people who just roll out of bed and head for a public dining area with no preparation for facing the public.

It makes youwonder if he brushed his teeth-LOL!

I know we saw a gal in her bathrobe at breakfast in the windjammer on Mariner fo the seas. Her hair also looked unbrushed.

Meg we were on the same cruises I am sure- since I am your mother. Do you remember the Mariner of the Seas cruise we took and that family, two tables away? Jeans, sneakers and sloganed teeshirts the whole week, even on formal night.

There was also the time you weren't with us, that your Dad and I were on the Miracle. We had dirty stinky people in old tattered jeans at a table near us, on formal night. Your Dad was complaining about the guy in the booth next to us in his tropicial shirt and shorts until I pointed out the people at the table across from us. At least he was clean. They weren't.

I guess what bothered me is about when we traveled those two ships, is that we paid top dollar for both of those ships, as they were brand new at the time. But you are right,other crusies when we had paid "bargain" fares, everyone was dressed nicely.

I also remember on Disney Wonder, your Dad and one other guy being the only guys in ties and sportcoats in that one dinning room, I think it was calleed Titans? I mean the one where we were told to dress up for, besides Palos.

Also, that same cruise in a more casual restaurant, the one where the colors changed, where dress was casual, but still no shorts, we had a guy in shorts and leather sandels that were basialy a leather flip flop sitting near us.

What about our last HAL cruise? Our tablemate wore jeans to dinner. Of course she was not the only one, I saw others.

So, even though we have seen people turned away, we have also seen those that were not. To me what was acceptable, seemed to be the whim of the head waiter, as on other cruises, the same line, the same exact dress was not allowed. It seems to me, that people on the whole do not want to "dress" for dinner anymore and ALL the lines have relaxed their dress codes.

I know mom!!

THAT IS WHY I SAID THEY WEREN'T CONSISTANT... you missed that whole part of my post...

goodness! If you are gonna jump on me in here, at least READ the whole thing.

so it is NOT 'anything goes' are they consistant? No...which is the MAIN problem. If they stuck to the 'turn people away' or 'don't turn people away' it work better...

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if NCL intends their dress code to simply be "suggested." But then they occasionally enforce it. I understand that they don't necessarily want to "get tough" with people on vacation, but their rules are pretty simple and compliance shouldn't be a problem for most travelers (except, perhaps, in the "designated" dining room if you have nothing but jeans to wear...but then there are lots of other restaurants to choose from).

Speaking for myself, I've decided to make sure that my attire is well within the permitted standards and to save my propensity for "limit testing" for other situations and occasions. :-)

I know mom!!

THAT IS WHY I SAID THEY WEREN'T CONSISTANT... you missed that whole part of my post...

goodness! If you are gonna jump on me in here, at least READ the whole thing.

I did read your whole post-you told the guy that it was not true that he saw alot of things that went against the rules on alot of cruises. Yes you then added you had seen people turned away, and yes you mentioned the lines were inconsistant- but you should not have siad that what he posted was not true.

You could have said simply that you have seen people turned away and then others that were allowed to stay and then you could have given your analogy on discipling children.

All I can say BY FAR I have seen more allowed in then I have seen turned away.

Archived