I know I sound sound like an old fart but...

HappyStamper

There clearly has been a line crossed between expressing ones opinion or preference of attire vs. insulting and making disparaging remarks. Much more would have been accomplished had certain posters just expressed their preference for traveling on cruise lines such as windjammer that don't have dress code requirements. What they seem to have lost touch with is that there are various cruiselines for various tastes. Quite honestly, you couldn't pay me to get on a windjammer cruise. I strolled over to a website to take a look to see what it's all about and guess what I found - pictures of everyone including the captain dressing in womens clothing and bikinis!!!!!!!. That's their source of entertainment. I was appaulled and would be mortified if I ended up on that cruise. But that's what this is all about. I love the formality and elegance of Celebrity. It has rules designed to create an atmosphere consistent with that. If you want something else, there are other lines, go get them. Isn't that what makes this industry so amazing? so many different experiences designed to suit everyone's personal tastes? But guess what! - I still get to meet new people and learn from those I meet.

This particular forum has a topic, it is fashion, that is why we are here to chat. If I wanted to discuss the intellectual topics I've had with my cruisemates, guess what - there are other boards for that as well. But my intellect is not measured by the clothes I wear and the fact that I choose to follow the rules of dress code. Some people need to learn the difference between expressing personal opinions and criticizing. Very very different.

We love to dress up on cruises, and will continue to do so, even if noone else does!
If we were invited to a friend's home, and the invitation specified "Black Tie", we certainly wouldn't wear jeans or shorts. If we were invited to any occasion that specified a dress code, we would, if we wished to attend, dress accordingly. I can't imagine that anyone would do any differently. The alternative to dressing as suggested, is to not attend. This includes everything from friend's parties, to weddings, to charity affairs (where we PAY to go) and CRUISES. The dress code is specified in cruise materials received before cruising, and anywhere and everywhere on cruise message boards. I will never understand why people insist that THEY don't HAVE to follow any dress code. Why do they not just choose a cruiseline, like Windjammer, or even Seaborne, that does not have formal wear specified? Why, too, must they comb through the message boards just looking for something to disagree with? It makes no sense to me. :confused:

[quote name='kes']My husband doesn't own a suit. He doesn't need one, we live in the Philippines and people very rarely wear suits. For weddings, funerals and formal events men wear a barong tagalog - beautifully embroidered garment made from jusi or pina fabric with dark trousers. This is what my husband will be wearing on formal night.
I don't think people should be judged because they don't own a suit, a lot depends on the culture they were raised in or the different values they have, it is not necessarily that they are disrespectful. Remember not everyone on these boards and go on cruises are from the same cultural or social backgrounds.[/QUOTE]
But it sounds like your husband *will* be wearing special clothing! No, a western business suit would not be something he would own but he does "dress up" for special events which is what I meant.

Wow! I haven't been around for a couple of months so imagine my surprise at logging on today to find all this contoversy! The funny thing is that I didn't think I was judging anyone's choice of clothing with my original question. I simply stated that I was surprised by the number of men who stated that they did not own a suit and wondered if they didn't wear one for a wedding or funeral. In my community men young and old do wear them even if only for those occasions. Many have replied that they do not wear a suit for a funeral. Question answered. Period.

Okay. I reread my post from four months ago and I did say that I thought dressing up was a sign of respect. I still feel that way. However I couldn't care less whether your jacket has a designer label or came from a thrift shop- not that I could tell the difference anyway!LOL

Have any of you taken the time to reread my posts? I think not otherwise the responses would have been different.

As a matter of fact I have and I hope that you don't contradict yourself while working in the health field as much as you have on this board.

If any of you who have so vehemently critiqued my posts took the time to really read them you will find I am quite willing to meet and make some new aquaintences.

but wait...earlier you wrote:

I for one wouldn't choose to cruise with most of the persons who started and replied to this thread.

If you start out meeting people by insulting them like that then I can totally understand why you're wanting to meet new people.

You wrote:

I understand this is a cruise fashion discussion board.

and yet you posted:

My point is lighten up, there are much more important things to worry about than such trivial matters in this life time.

and then

For some reason I have the most difficult time understanding such "superficiality". . Just my opinion.

and

If people become this defensive over some stupid comments with regards to howto dress on a cruise, heaven forbid we discuss something that REALLY matters.

and

I have learned much and I can't believe how upset some are over such a trivial subject.

So...you come to a fashion board where most people who post about fashion obviously don't consider it "trivial", why post such rude comments? Stating that something people have an interest in is trivial is rude. Saying that what we write about is superficial is obnoxious. Saying that our comments are "stupid" is just unacceptable. Again.....not a way to meet new acquaintances.....just my opinion.

Did I hit a nerve to put so many people on the defensive?

Yes. You came onto a specific subject board and stated that the subject matter was trivial, only after stating in the beginning that you would not choose to cruise with most of the people on this thread. Common courtesy dictates that one should be courteous to others. You were rude and as a result people got angry...with every right. Again...not a way to meet new acquaintances.

Initially I started to read the posts out of curiosity, as you can tell neat and clean are more important to me than the latest Louis Vouiton(sp wrong I'm sure) handbag, thought I might find some insight to whether or not I would want to sail on a "foo-foo" ship and try something new.

Why on earth you would shoot over to a fashion board to find out if you'd like to cruise on anything other than the Windstar is beyond me. If I wanted to find out if I'd rather go to Bertucci's or Capitol Grille for dinner, I don't think I'd stand outside and scrutinize what people are wearing and then make my decision. That's one of those "judging a book by it's cover" type things. I think I'd rather read the reviews of both restaurants and then decide if I want italian or steak.:rolleyes:

Since I'm not into fashion I could use some expertise. The problem for me is there seems to be less regard with what to wear vs what others are wearing, hence my comments.

When would you not take into consideration what other people are wearing if you wanted to find out what to wear? If I were to go on the Windstar, certainly it would behoove me to see what the other people were wearing. I wouldn't want to show up in a ballroom gown at night when all the other women are wearing cutoffs and t-shirts. I'd feel a tad silly.

Another good one is "there but for the grace of GOD go I." Have a nice day everyone

Amen. I pray I never have such a life that I have the urge to go onto a board and totally disrespect the people who are on it.

My goodness . . . who would have thought something like dressing for dinner on a cruise vacation would cause such "heated" and interesting posts. As an attorney, I love debate but really hadn't planned to post to this thread until someone mentioned how attorneys dress in Court. I have to tell you, as a criminal defense attorney . . . most of my days are spent in Court and were I able to wear a casual pair of slacks and a nice twin sweater set . . . I'd do it in a heartbeat. My "uniforms" (suits) are not the most comfortable outfits . . . especially with those darn heels (the older I get, the more they hurt my feet). But what can I say . . . though it's really not "written" anywhere about what an attorney is expected to wear in Court . . . it is sort of tradition for attorneys to "dress-up" when in Court. Sort of like formal nights on a cruise ship. Come to think of it . . . for those on cruise ships, I think it is "written" how one is expected to dress on formal nights. Hum . . . very intersting . . .

who would have thought something like dressing for dinner on a cruise vacation would cause such "heated" and interesting posts
The vitriol gets a bit tedious after a while. Some folks seem to have a hard time accepting that reasonable folks could disagree with them -- something that's relatively rare in court, I suspect. I suppose that's why they give us Ignore lists, eh?

Vinceygirl, Maybe you need to spend some time in that church on Front St you suggested to the others and reflect upon whatever is really bothering you.

PS People get excited about special vacations and they dream and plan what to wear, and they want to be comfortable and also fit in and they all have individual opinions and it's harmless. Lighten up and have fun.

I have seen more passionate dialog in some other threads about this topic. So lets add some more questions to the fire!

The cruiselines job is to sell a lifestyle vacation. So Carnival goes to younger party/fun people, RCI goes to active lifestyles, ..., Celebrity, and Crystal go toward upscale traditional cruising of past. I dont understand why somebody would pick a traditional life style cruise line if they didnt want to play? Its like going to a football game and complaining you dont like football. Perhaps we could get some analytical answer!

Based on people I know like friends and my dad, I think there are some people who dont dress up because they just cant see how they come across from the outside. I also think their are some people who dont think they deserve to be considered elegant or upper class. I cant believe its the clothes, whats the difference between a pair of wool slacks and a pair of jeans. They take the same amount of work to put on. They could say its the money but if someone gave them the outfit they would still complain. I think its the sense they perceive themselves as conforming. This is ironically wrong. When I see somebody dressed up, I dont think yeah they gave in. I think, thank you for looking your best. Clothes are designed to take your flaws and make you look your best. Ironically the clothes many of these people pick make their bellys, wrinkles, ... look their worst.

Many of these people dont realize the value of the inside smile they give thier own spouse.

Also just from a nuisance factor the price of a tux is so cheap and if you rent its just less clothes to carry in your luggage.

The vitriol gets a bit tedious after a while. Some folks seem to have a hard time accepting that reasonable folks could disagree with them -- something that's relatively rare in court, I suspect. I suppose that's why they give us Ignore lists, eh?

And yet, for how tedious you seem to find all of this, and your comments on "ignore lists" you still keep posting on this topic...I wonder, is it just to keep the vitriol going? :confused: Or is that not a "reasonable" question?

>>>>Jane probably knows more about fashion in one finger than I will know in my life. So If I needed help on something she would be the one I would ask.<<

Lois, many thanks for the kind words.

>>>>>>>If I wanted to learn about something else, I would try and find someone with knowledge in that area.<<<<<<<<

Hey, I make a mean chicken soup, can taste the difference between a Malbec and a Shiraz w/ a blindfold on and know how to ask where the ladies room is in a handful of foreign languages. Oh and I know both the Paris and Tokyo metro systems well. Just don't ask me how to upload my trip photos, cruise solo with confidence and panache or respond with gracious civility to some of the rude commenters who pop in here. I'll seek your advice on those matters!

A fashion board, superficial? Well.....yeah, and a heck of a lot of fun too! So after I'm done admiring the color of my new handbag, I'll finish writing my tome on the secret of world peace..............or was it, whirled peas?

Lettuce now pray for the non-fashionable to dine at the buffet and may the great unwashed order room service. LOL!!!

Jane

Katie: Ask yourself: Do we want to discuss the discussion, or do we want to discuss the topic? Personally, I'd rather just discuss the topic. So I'll keep the diversion short: From what you've written, you don't like me. That's a shame. Get over it and move on. I'm surely not going to allow anyone's animosity to dictate whether I contribute to a thread or not. I will remain polite, and avoid the type of sarcasm you put into your message.

Jane, thanks back at you:) I am confident sailing solo~that would definitely be a topic I have knowledge about;) going Solo Saturday for the 7th time in a row:D

Katie: Ask yourself: Do we want to discuss the discussion, or do we want to discuss the topic? Personally, I'd rather just discuss the topic. So I'll keep the diversion short: From what you've written, you don't like me. That's a shame. Get over it and move on. I'm surely not going to allow anyone's animosity to dictate whether I contribute to a thread or not. I will remain polite, and avoid the type of sarcasm you put into your message.

I can't dislike anyone that I haven't actually met, including yourself. I've posted to your replies, like, twice in this thread, once about the discussion at hand, and once in curiousity as to why you keep posting in a thread that you seem to find so annoying. (And, well, this one too.) My personality as a whole is a bit sarcastic, and I apologize that I forgot to put the little :) at the end of my last post. I meant to really. It wasn't meant to sound like an attack. :(

But it just always amazes me how posters will keep posting on a thread "Let it die!", or "Oh they're beating a dead horse again.", or "Haven't we already discussed this to death?", etc., etc. If you don't like the topic, don't read it, don't post in it. It's that simple.

And I agree with momofmeg. I think it's time to let this discussion die. (I know that sounds hypocritical of me, but I my main point of this post was to apologize to bicker.) :)

Archived