Are the "older ships" as attractive as the

savannah2117

I'm wondering is the "older ships", I guess I would call before, 2000, kept up as nice and have the same quality as the new, bigger ones? It seems like the new ships are more popular, I'm guessing, because they are a bit prettier? Any input would be great. Our first and only cruise was on the Golden Princess and it was only 6mo old. We loved the ship and had a great time, but I thought the crowds were a bit older. (We're in our late 30's w/ 3 school aged kids. ) Thanks!

The decor for older Carnival ships is very Vegas like. Lots of really brights. Orange and Pinks. I went on the Glory last year after going on Ecstasy and Imagination in previous years. It was like night and day. If you're into nicer more updated decor the newer ships are the way to go. Even when the older ones go through refurb they seem to still keep similar color schemes.

Hi... Most of the older ships are all in top notch condition.. The newer ships are obviously larger and more modern, however, they do carry alot more people, and can get crowded at times. If you are planning your first cruise, you will probably have a great cruise on whatever ship you are on. You have to remember that most of the posters on this site are repeat cruisers and therefore have been on alot of the older ships in the past, as we have. People generally want to try a different ship each time and will gravitate towards the newer ones, as they haven't been on them yet, that is why they tend to be more popular.. I hope this answers your post.. Bombero

We sailed on the Holiday last month. It was the largest cruise ship afloat when it was launched in 1985, and now is the smallest ship still in service with Carnival.

But 'small' is relative. It sails with 1,700 passengers and more than 600 crew. Outside of Las Vegas, there are only a handful of hotels in the world that big.

The Holiday seemed in good repair, was comfortable, and provided plenty of amenities. We saw deck crews working on here almost constantly chipping paint, repainting, and otherwise keeping the ship in shape. While we were aboard (during port days), they installed new commodes in all the cabins, at least on our deck.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Holiday or any of the older, 'smaller' ships again.

The Fantasy is one of my favorite ships and she entered service in 1990. Carnival spent quite a bit of money on her last year. I have now been on this ship four times and am booked for next year. It makes for a great quick get away cruise. You do have to keep in mind that the older ships do not have all of the bells and whistles that the newer ships have but I really do not miss them.

This question can get tricky. You have old ships and then you have really old ships. Case in point was the Tropical. After sailing several new ships and then sailing the Tropical just before it was removed from the Carnival line, we learned the hard way that old is not necessarily good. The showers for instance had black mold in between the tiles. The crew did as much as you could to keep it clean but after many years, it was a losing battle. Some of the toilets blocked and that is common with very old ships. There were strange odors in various parts of the ship. The ship's engine broke down and we missed the port of Aruba. It was definitely smaller and lacked many of the amenities of the newer ships like eating stations. The TV's are much better on the newer ships and you can order your excursions on them. There were pillars every where in the theater and it was difficult to see a show.

My advice is always to go "New and bigger". You may pay more (and that tells you some thing) because you get more. Like hotels and cars, new is better.

We sailed on Elation a couple of months ago after having previously sailed on Conquest & Spirit. I'll have to say that I was a little dissapointed with Elation, although it was very clean. The public areas were fine, but the rooms & hallways just seemed a little tired & somewhat worse for wear. BUT, any cruise is great so long as the ship keeps on floating.

I'm wondering is the "older ships", I guess I would call before, 2000, kept up as nice and have the same quality as the new, bigger ones? It seems like the new ships are more popular, I'm guessing, because they are a bit prettier? Any input would be great.

The Destiny is still quite popular and entered service in 1996. I think the Triumph entered service prior to or close to 2000 also. "Prettier" seems to be a matter of opinion. Some say pretty, some say gaudy. It just depends on your tastes. They do refurbish them and try their best to keep them kept up.

My advice is always to go "New and bigger". You may pay more (and that tells you some thing) because you get more. Like hotels and cars, new is better.

I disagree with this statement. I was on the Victory when she was "newer & bigger". They put the new & bigger on the more popular Itineraries. She was filthy, tore up, carpets stained & we had the worst survice on this ship at that time. This was our "worst" cruise, as anytime I'm cruising I'm happy. I have done older and smaller and found the ships in better and worst shape. I will be doing the Liberty whe she is bigger and new so we will see. I say pick the ship doing the time and itinerary you want at the price you can do and HAVE FUN, your on a cruise.

I've been thinking about this thread for a couple of days.

My first cruise was on the "small" Jubilee, when it was a mainstream large ship. I think by the end of the week I had either met or at least seen every one of my fellow passengers.

When the Fantasy came out, I thought I hated it, and I didn't know why at the time. It was only a larger version of the Jubilee, with an atrium, one additional deck on the back, and everything else just proportionally larger. But I also found a place of solice, right out back of the Lido restaurant. Felt like it was my own private place, although shared with a few other people. Afterwards, I realized I just didn't like the itinerary, and had nothing against the ship. I still returned to the Jubilee, but ventured out again and tried the Ecstacy. This time I loved it. I also tried the Fascination and Imagination.

Then came the Destiny Class. I did that plus it's two sisters, and the main draw was the balcony. I found the intimacy of meeting a large portion of my fellow guests had disappeared, due to all the crowds. But I loved my balcony.

Then came the Spirit class. Giving me only a "taste" of intimacy, because of the more diversity, but there are still crowds, and still a sea of endless faces.

Now I think, is old better? Nothing wrong with it. I just want my balcony. Right now, it's at a premium on the "older" ships, cause there are only a handful of them.

So it's not the age that is keeping me from them. It's the price of their balcony rooms. Otherwise, I would sail them exclusively.

I've yet to be tempted by even trying out the Conquest size ships.

You have to understand........a Ship is not like a used car.

A ship is a Multi-Million Dollar $$ Resort.

There is ongoing maintenance and upkeep.

From time to time they are put in dry dock and givin a going over. Carpets Replaced, etc....

Soooo, if you happen to get on one right before that, it will be a little more worn.

Heck......I've been on a ship that is 50 years old.... x

While the ships can be maintained, there are certain aspects that just cannot be updated, at least not easily... like covered pools or adding pools, adding balcony cabins (it happens, but is a significant undertaking), and increasing public space. If I was to choose on of the older Carnival ships, I would pay attention to the last time it was refurbished. IMO, for some reason Carnival ships don't hold their age as well as other lines ships.

I've yet to be tempted by even trying out the Conquest size ships.

MrPete, You won't even notice the difference in the size of the Conquest and the Destiny Class ships. The only difference is that the Conquest is 65 feet longer. You can't tell it at all when you're onboard. The layout is almost the identical.

MrPete, You won't even notice the difference in the size of the Conquest and the Destiny Class ships. The only difference is that the Conquest is 65 feet longer. You can't tell it at all when you're onboard. The layout is almost the identical.

You can certainly tell the number of people though... too many for a ship that size.

You can certainly tell the number of people though... too many for a ship that size.

Yeah. Exactly why I am no longer attemping anything larger than a Spirit size ship.....except to try out the QM2, and a Voyager class just to see what they are all about..

That's one thing that does bother me......."Bigger is not always Better"

on these Mega-Ships, you loose the feeling of Being on a Ship......

I like the smaller ships.....feeling closer to the water, etc.......

Could not agree with you more. I used to think that bigger is better. I think the cruise lines are catching on as well... there have been a significant amt. of Panamax ships built in the past few years. I was just on the 48000 ton Crystal Harmony with 630 passengers and 550 crew onboard. It just does not get any better than that.

I would still consider the bigger ships... I am looking into the Grand Princess for Xmas and will be ont he QM2 in the next year as well. These ships, along with the voyager class ships have amuch better space ratio per passenger (QM2 is something like 52 which is absurd). I also know that the ships are designed in a way that prevents congestion like you see on the big Carnival ships.

Carnival's Spirit class ships are their best. Unfortunately they are building more Conquest-class ship (which are their worst) instead.

Our first and only cruise was on the Golden Princess and it was only 6mo old. We loved the ship and had a great time, but I thought the crowds were a bit older. (We're in our late 30's w/ 3 school aged kids. ) Thanks!

I have sailed The Grand (sister to The Golden) and I know what you mean, it is a beautiful ship and different then a Carnival ship. As far as decor goes , if you want similar I would sail on Destiny Class. Very comparable and you will likely appreciate the extra sq ft in your cabin with your family. Princess cabins are TINY unless your sailing in one of the Grand Suites. The croud also stays awake past 10 PM, lol.

I have sailed The Grand (sister to The Golden) and I know what you mean, it is a beautiful ship and different then a Carnival ship. As far as decor goes , if you want similar I would sail on Destiny Class. Very comparable and you will likely appreciate the extra sq ft in your cabin with your family. Princess cabins are TINY unless your sailing in one of the Grand Suites. The croud also stays awake past 10 PM, lol.

Saying that any Princess cruise goes to sleep at 10 is like saying that Carnival is a group of drunken, puking twenty somethings. Neither is true. People generalize too much on these bored and it really is not fair for perspective cruisers. What time the the ship shuts down depends on the cruisers on that particular cruise and not on which ship you are on. Itinerary, length and time of year all play big factors in determining this.

I have been on 3 classes of Princess ships and all classes of Carnival ships and the 10 or 20 extra square feet would factor into my decision at all. As you read above, number of people on board would. Here are some stats: Conquest is 110,000 tons and holds 3000 people, Destiny is 101,500 and holds 2850, and the Grand is 106,000 and holds 2500. This is double occupancy which means that the Carnival ships will likely have 3200-3500 people onboard. This would factor into my decision.

Saying that any Princess cruise goes to sleep at 10 is like saying that Carnival is a group of drunken, puking twenty somethings. Neither is true. People generalize too much on these bored and it really is not fair for perspective cruisers. What time the the ship shuts down depends on the cruisers on that particular cruise and not on which ship you are on. Itinerary, length and time of year all play big factors in determining this.

Where exactly in my post did I say that ALL Princess ships go to sleep at 10??? As for the rest of the above paragraph I couldn't agree more. Anyone (with a sense of humor) that has sailed The Grand Class is aware of the various activities available in the evening. Of course there are some. It is a matter of personal taste as to preference of same. I too am an experienced cruiser and simply wanted to share my thoughts with the OP.

Archived