Oasis of the Seas Live: Float Out and Ship Tour

Dan Askin

But Emmy and I and our hubbies weren't TAs, just lucky cruisers, right Emmy!;) And we hope to be lucky again!!!!

If we get invited to Oasis pre, I expect a repeat on the promenade with a Drunken Pirate Emmy!!!:p:D And a rematch between Todd and Rick on the Flowrider!!!

Here we were at the original Royal Champions Charter Member reception on Liberty! What fun, right Emmy! Great memories!

2469zj6.jpg

Check these photos out:

http://www1.vg.no/bildespesial/show/spesial.php?id=6535

Andy Cruiser

I know other people have seen this link before but thanks to you I have seen it for the first time. We haven't booked yet but I am almost certain we will for sometime in Oct. or Nov. of 2010. In fact due to the size of the ship we are thinking we want to do a B2B so that we have time to enjoy everything on the ship.

Al

• 3 weeks later...

Things must be ahead of schedule since RCI has added two new Cruises on Dec. 1 and Dec. 5, 2009. Has anyone been lucky enough to get additional pictures since the float? It would be great to see a week to week or month to month progression. You would think that RCI would have a sight where they would do that. Maybe they do and I just don't know about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love reading all your comments on these pages and seeing what ships you have been on before, Some of you have more "Sea experience" than some of our Navy!! I was wondering if any of you have come across my daughter, Julie Sherrington, Guest Relations Manager? She has been with RCCL for nearly 20yrs. I have sailed twice with her out of Southampton, and like any Dad would be.....Very proud of her....I to am looking forward to Oasis, and as Julie usually brings out new ships, hope to get a look on board asap.. Happy cruising....John

I love reading all your comments on these pages and seeing what ships you have been on before, Some of you have more "Sea experience" than some of our Navy!! I was wondering if any of you have come across my daughter, Julie Sherrington, Guest Relations Manager? She has been with RCCL for nearly 20yrs. I have sailed twice with her out of Southampton, and like any Dad would be.....Very proud of her....I to am looking forward to Oasis, and as Julie usually brings out new ships, hope to get a look on board asap.. Happy cruising....John

Hi John

I have met Julie a few times now and always get a lovely welcome from her :D

Last time I chatted with Julie was on the Independence Naming Ceremony cruise,actually it was just right before the Ceremony and we were talking about my outfit which I had made specially for the Indy with lots of rhinestones on and I wasnt sure if I should change before the Ceremony but Julie said, "no, wear it with pride, you are showing your passion for Royal Caribbean" :D

I am looking forward to seeing Julie on the Oasis :D

Hi John, we have met Julie many times, was she on the Indy end Nov/Dec in St Marten. We were on Solstice next to Indy and I am sure it was her Stood by the ship waiting for "late" passengers. Tell her she is a super person to know.................RICH:)

• 1 month later...
Wow, I wonder what the draft of this puppy is?

First time poster, going on Freedom of the Seas at the end of July!!!!!!

I actually had to do a bit on this in the fluid-dynamics section of my physics course this past semester here at College. Draft is entirely dependent on a combination of weight and overall surface area of the hull submerged in the water. For instance, if you had an extremely heavy boat with a heavy tonnage, then the draft would be very deep, as you need to displace the total weight in water of the ship itself. Now, if you had a very light ship with a very large surface area in contact with the water, the draft would be almost nothing (in comparison).

Now, if you're talking in terms of the height of the bow wave - then its another story entirely. While it is dependent on the weight/speed/draft of the ship, here's where bow geometry comes into play. The bulbous bow found on modern ships (including QM2 and Oasis) mitigates the bow wave by creating suction through the Bernoulli effect where the bow extends above the waterline. By creating this suction, the bulbous bow literally sucks the water that would be thrown up by the bow wave back down - reducing drag and allowing for greater efficiency.

Hope this adds some insight!!

Archived