Oasis of the Seas Live: Float Out and Ship Tour

Dan Askin

Apologies, a correction. The express train I like is Pendolino (got mixed up with a brand of shoes I used to buy!). But if you are really just coming to Finland to go to Turku, forget the train. There is no train from Helsinki Vantaa airport. You have two options. One is you can fly into Turku (limited flights but there are some, I have done it from the states, flying SAS and connecting in Stockholm) and I presume Finnair offers connections. Also, most people who live there just take an express bus that goes right from the airport.

But if you are doing a daytrip from Helsinki or staying in Helsinki, the train is the best choice.

Carolyn

Thank you for the information Carolyn and I actually knew exactly what you was talking about as I am an Engineer involved with the traction systems on the railway, I found Bandilino funny. :D

The giant propellers you are looking at are azipods. There are three of them on Oasis (located aft). While Freedom class ships also have three, what's unique about Oasis is that all three have 360 degree mobility.

The blue "thing" you see is a bow thruster. It's forward. The guy on the right is the new head of the STX yard in Turku (which has been beleaugured, management wise, until recently). He's a second (or third) generation shipbuilder who'd worked at the yard some years ago, he's a Finn and his most recent job was overseeing a nuclear power plant construction job.

He can probably handle the stress of a shipyard!

Not pictured but pretty cool nevertheless is the bulbous bow. What's unique on Oasis is that the bulbous bow has a little brother. The smaller version, underneath the bigger one, is outfitted with all kinds of measuring equipment to monitor sea conditions and such.

The bulbous bow is just to the left of the bow thruster....

Carolyn

Boy I love all this Tech stuff, fantastic feedback I have really felt part of it these last couple of days so thank you so much for your reports. :D

Carolyn,

Thank you! I have sat here pretty much all day looking at the pictures and reading everything that you have typed thus far and it just makes me smile. People at work think I'm crazy and that I need help, but ever sense my first cruise I have been hooked and will remain that way. This ship alone will take many trips to see, and do everything, but I'm ready. Again Thank you for all the info!!!!!

Brian

when will they post all the venues to eat at and prices?

will they have a johnny rockets too?

when will this magazine be featured in the cruise magazine?

They have already listed most of the restaurants and yes theres a Johnny Rockets. Im sure this ship will be featured ALL OVER!

Thanks Dan and Carolyn for the photo's and for the observations.

Carolyn, like you, I'm a fan of Oceania sized cruises, however, the Oasis certainly looks spectacular. I'd love to cruise on her!

I was at the NYC presentation and got to see the model, as well as some terrific mock-ups. But these photo's posted here just make it even more amazing.

This is so exciting! Keep the pix and info coming!

Jane

Royal Champion

Emmy Sorry I can't get this site to do it, but Iknow there are some people here that can. They are from akerbuilder.

Brian ~ I will sit tight and be patient and let someone post them. :)

Hi, Emmy. I am attaching a photo here (not sure if I have included this one or if other photographers have either) and it shows the bridge in relation to the Boardwalk upper deck cabins. To answer your question, I am not sure if the bridge (not captain's bridge, this one I think is support and also is fodder for the zipline) will impact the view. I think it is possible. What do you all think?

Carolyn

Carolyn ~ thank you very much for all the first hand reports and photos from Oasis. You have been the eyes and ears for so many envious future Oasis cruisers.

We have lived these last few days vicariously through you.

I do have a question about the Boardwalk balconies. I have a balcony on deck 10 about 5 cabins in from the rock wall port side...the structure like bridge at the end of the ship over the aqua theatre looks very wide...did you notice if it covers as a roof like structure over any of those boardwalk balcony cabins farthest aft?

100_2681.jpg.ce083a079fa40035284937689bcd7cbe.jpg

I was at the yard with editor-in-chief Carolyn - you might spot her in my video of the event, here

http://travel.sky.com/inspiration/cruise/1227467249745_218

Steve

Steve ~Wonderful, wonderful video with lots of good information. What a treat to be under that ship and like you said never to happen again.

Thanks for sharing.

Archived