Oasis of the Seas Live: Float Out and Ship Tour

Dan Askin

Photos are fabulous (Royal Caribbean p.r. promises some pro shots and I see Norcruiser has posted some -- thank you!) but here are a few I took yesterday.

The first one is what I think is the best part of the suites. It's a two story high window that's in essence one whole wall facing out to the sea. You enter through the back of it, walk down a hallway with double closet, and full bath with shower, and then into the living room. There, you'll find a kind of odd dining-like table (hence the word odd), and a cozy, comfy couch-chair-coffee table area with plasma screen hanging on the wall. The living room is airy and er, lofty (no immediate ceiling above). And off to the front is a very nice, wide balcony with wicker-like chaises.

Upstairs, is a master bedroom. It overlooks the living room and benefits from the huge windowed wall! There's a sheer curtain that you can draw for privacy (and relief from light, I'd assume). And there's another full bathroom; this time the shower is fabulous, big enough for two (and with two nozzles).

Color scheme is very lovely and contemporary, earth and sea colors (blues, greens, brown).

More photos coming....

Carolyn

Thank you so much! Just love to read/see everything about the Oasis! Cannot wait til we finally see the ship at Port Everglades next year.

Kathy

Photos are fabulous (Royal Caribbean p.r. promises some pro shots and I see Norcruiser has posted some -- thank you!) but here are a few I took yesterday.

The first one is what I think is the best part of the suites. It's a two story high window that's in essence one whole wall facing out to the sea. You enter through the back of it, walk down a hallway with double closet, and full bath with shower, and then into the living room. There, you'll find a kind of odd dining-like table (hence the word odd), and a cozy, comfy couch-chair-coffee table area with plasma screen hanging on the wall. The living room is airy and er, lofty (no immediate ceiling above). And off to the front is a very nice, wide balcony with wicker-like chaises.

Upstairs, is a master bedroom. It overlooks the living room and benefits from the huge windowed wall! There's a sheer curtain that you can draw for privacy (and relief from light, I'd assume). And there's another full bathroom; this time the shower is fabulous, big enough for two (and with two nozzles).

Color scheme is very lovely and contemporary, earth and sea colors (blues, greens, brown).

More photos coming....

Carolyn

One question did anyone talk about the view from the aft facing loft cabins?

You have probably seen these but just in case. There was only one version of the Loft Suite on site (so the Royal Loft and the corner loft weren't available). One interesting note -- there is a loft laid out for travelers with disabilities and it has an elevator!

The shipyard guy who was showing us around said it was the first ever cruise elevator in a cabin.

Carolyn

100_2593.jpg.2bc0efe3fc543b1b2b00134df661fc32.jpg

100_2595.jpg.8d6b86bf3803fd2a018d0a5b31433bef.jpg

100_2594.jpg.c3bc1d7d3d82c96f9aa60121f4ba813d.jpg

The one with the excellent shower (as opposed to the merely very nice one on the first floor! It's got a curved-into-corner shower that is very roomy (not for two, alas) with glass doors that open out as opposed to nasty shower curtain. No photo of that one.

Carolyn

100_2606.jpg.cdaeb8c72d0d55d3cdc878b8efa43ff1.jpg

100_2607.jpg.9ef9a027f2d7a59667b4a8e44970cbaa.jpg

100_2608.jpg.27876e696d90268091bc77d775afc43c.jpg

One of the things that is fascinating about this job is getting to go behind the scenes of shipbuilding. The bicycle factory excursion is just the kind of thing that I love! The factory makes Tunturi bikes; they looked pretty upscale. Here is a shot of the factory and also of a line of furnishings that certainly didn't look like they belonged there! Turns out they were experimental chairs and such that haven't at least as yet made it into the loft. Among them were a couple of granite colored chairs with holes made of plastic (ugh) that came from a furniture designer in Barcelona (the invoice was right there and of course I read it!) and an assortment of teak outdoor chairs for the verandah. Ship designers went with the wicker-esque stuff instead.

Carolyn

PS One of the most fascinating experiences ever for me in terms of cruise ship building was visiting the shipyard factory at nearby Pikkio (it's owned by the shipyard and built most of the cabins for Voyager, Freedom and now Oasis class). It's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=405.

PPS Also included is a photo of the box that the Loft Suite was built in. It is huge of course -- but it does conceal what it is until you come right up on it.

100_2629.jpg.a5d60813c22680c352c41a498c7e9763.jpg

100_2623.jpg.69426cd797891a37eebbc4e025152d71.jpg

100_2628.jpg.85bfe095485abf98a0b512efc1bf63f0.jpg

Have to admit I was partly fascinated by the vastness of the drydock and partly a little bit nervous that Oasis of the Seas would roll over on us, LOL. It's kind of intimidating cause it's perched on these concrete blocks that don't look all that big.

I remember a fourth shipyard (in Nagasaki, Japan, we were visiting Diamond and Sapphire Princess). On that trip we were driven down inside it, via a roadway that ran alongside and handed magic markers and asked to sign our names on the hull (what do you want a bet that those signatures lasted all of a minute and a half under sea?). Cool. On this trip, however, we went on a motorcoach through this narrow, narrow (and very dark) tunnel that was cut through the cement of the dock. The motorcoach just squeaked by.

When the dock is flooded, the water fills the tunnel, too.

Here is a shot of the dock, just to give you a sense of depth. Allure of the Seas will be moved there within a week or so.

Carolyn

100_2639.jpg.b8ee404395f0f2ed91d0da7c5b8e304f.jpg

The giant propellers you are looking at are azipods. There are three of them on Oasis (located aft). While Freedom class ships also have three, what's unique about Oasis is that all three have 360 degree mobility.

The blue "thing" you see is a bow thruster. It's forward. The guy on the right is the new head of the STX yard in Turku (which has been beleaugured, management wise, until recently). He's a second (or third) generation shipbuilder who'd worked at the yard some years ago, he's a Finn and his most recent job was overseeing a nuclear power plant construction job.

He can probably handle the stress of a shipyard!

Not pictured but pretty cool nevertheless is the bulbous bow. What's unique on Oasis is that the bulbous bow has a little brother. The smaller version, underneath the bigger one, is outfitted with all kinds of measuring equipment to monitor sea conditions and such.

The bulbous bow is just to the left of the bow thruster....

Carolyn

100_2659.jpg.6933561504cd7c31acd4fbdc2b15158b.jpg

100_2662.jpg.5ce9c76ba7df28dd9779aa23bcf9c8b0.jpg

100_2665.jpg.40349658aa0ff3d97dca85bfc146ce27.jpg

100_2657.jpg.b872814c5a526841f321bbc026dcab00.jpg

Hi, here's what the boardwalk looks like right now, nothing much! Plus the area that will open up to sunlight is covered by canvas to protect workers. That's why it is so dark. It's temporary!

Hope you can see enough. From where I am standing, my back is to the glass interior wall (inside that, which divides the Boardwalk from Central Park) will be the Dazzles nightclub and the concierge club (on different levels). I'll see if I have a photo. I'm facing out, a vast distance, LOL, toward the Aqua Theater at the other end.

Anyway, back to the Boardwalk, these balconies are gorgeous -- beautifully curved so you can see in all directions. Richard Fain kept talking about how the design of the balconies was meant to allow people to watch the wake at the aft end but I don't think it will be easy to see past the Aqua Theater structure, whether or not there's a show going on.

There was nothing in place at this point, was told the carousel will be closer to the glass wall-ed section, not by the Aqua Theater.

Carolyn

100_2679.jpg.52069a7e49dd6305a8c572013ddfa163.jpg

100_2684.jpg.91984fa96bf7b56b0770df45accee066.jpg

100_2682.jpg.2dfd52ff009a51b7c78fd05ffc27a882.jpg

Hi, here's what the boardwalk looks like right now, nothing much! Plus the area that will open up to sunlight is covered by canvas to protect workers. That's why it is so dark. It's temporary!

Hope you can see enough. From where I am standing, my back is to the glass interior wall (inside that, which divides the Boardwalk from Central Park) will be the Dazzles nightclub and the concierge club (on different levels). I'll see if I have a photo. I'm facing out, a vast distance, LOL, toward the Aqua Theater at the other end.

Anyway, back to the Boardwalk, these balconies are gorgeous -- beautifully curved so you can see in all directions. Richard Fain kept talking about how the design of the balconies was meant to allow people to watch the wake at the aft end but I don't think it will be easy to see past the Aqua Theater structure, whether or not there's a show going on.

There was nothing in place at this point, was told the carousel will be closer to the glass wall-ed section, not by the Aqua Theater.

Carolyn

Great pictures! You should create a section in the photo gallery for all the pictures you took from the float out.

I couldn't resist taking a photo that emphasized the fact that snow had fallen on the Aqua Theater area the night before. I'm pretty sure that once Oasis starts cruising the Caribbean, that'll never happen again.

It's an interesting space and enough has been done that you can get a feel for it. The seats are ampitheater style (I just got a flash of deja vu, have I written this already?). There's the tower for the acrobatics and diving. And there's what looks like an amazingly narrow concrete pool, though 16 ft. deep at maximum depth, boy, you have to have good aim if you're diving into it!

Carolyn

100_2693.jpg.851a2b7210cc7dac63cb78964a9fa0c7.jpg

100_2694.jpg.39de0e4d7e9cc02e8bcd034e611ca157.jpg

I can't decide if this is going to be a funky and fabulous concept or a mere curiosity. The Rising Tide Bar, and I think I have written this (?), is meant to be a means of conveyance that connects the Royal Promenade to Central Park.

A mild segue: photos were terrible of Royal Promenade but it feels great, it's I think double the width of the promenades on Freedom and Voyager class ships and so feels huge. It's got, new to the ship, a mezzanine deck above (which means that the ship does not have as many interior promenade view cabins as the other classes, I think there are just 18 staterooms). But the mezzanine, from the renderings, looks cool! There are cafes with seating areas overlooking the scrum below. And apparently there will be music performances that, instead of taking place in the middle of the Promenade, will be up on the Mezz so they don't distrupt traffic and yet you can still enjoy the music.

Ok, back to Rising Tide. It's in essence a really large elevator with a cocktail bar. It'll go up and down (subject to change, of course) every 15 minutes or so and it can move at the same speed as regular elevators so trip time is pretty short :)

When it's lifting off from the Royal Promenade deck there's a sort of an H20 Zone waterpark thing underneath and so fountains will shoot up. They'll be highlighted by different color lightbulbs.

The Royal Promenade is shown in that really dark, gloomy photo. I assure you it won't look that way a year from now!

I think this is a wacky concept but I don't know, do you really want to have cocktails this way? I think it's going to be manic and crazy (though 55 or so is max) and there will be lines and it'll be one of those cruise features that you can't get into or are so frustrated when you do....

Would you believe that's the absolutely only skeptical comment I have had? Pretty cool ship all around!

Carolyn

100_2678.jpg.027b896390317d19aa2db61ddac43b4d.jpg

100_2677.jpg.de0d2ffe2008b4df34ce77c9816fef8a.jpg

Okay, I am going to go on record saying that the part of Oasis that most excites me -- is Central Park (does that mean I'm old and er boring?). In fact, my hubby and me be cruising on Oasis (January 2010 seems like eons away) and have booked a park-facing cabin.

This area yesterday was a bit brighter than the Boardwalk but you still can't tell a whole lot. Where the Rising Tide bar lands in Central Park is this cool glass house with a funky roof (glass house already there). It reminds me of this lovely gelato cafe near Sloane Square, on The Kings Road (opposite Partridges market if anyone knows the area). Around the house will be plantings of flora and fauna and you could see relatively deep containers built in that can handle larger root balls. There's a flagstone like material used on pathways and granite like borders. I say like cause they're sort of the equivalent of using formica on kitchen counters instead of granite or marble. They look good but are not the real thing. However, remember that ships have weight restrictions.... Though a designer on the project did mention expense of the 'real thing' being a factor. Still, lovely.

Then there's some spaciousness, areas where Chops Grille and the 150 Central Park (upscale, sounds or perhaps I am just wistful, like the alternative concept that is awesome on Celebrity). There was a rendering of 150 Central Park and my god were the chairs diners were sitting in hideous! They were like mini space capsules, you actually have a chair-roof over your head. Please in the name of ... whatever ... don't choose those chairs, LOL.

I should have taken a photo and apologies but I think I was recoiling in horror and shock and forgot my mind.

There's another area of the courtyard that is centered around what looks like the skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus rex (dinosaur), it is shown here. In reality it will serve as some sort of conservatory that will house plants.

Finally, there's another glassy area that is actually a skylight (though all taped over so incredibly dank and dismal). This is another new twist to the Royal Promenade in that natural light will filter down through this. Very nice.

We're told that there will be an art gallery, and some sort of luxury shop in the neighborhood.

The other things around here are Vintages, the wine bar (yeah) and Giovanni's, which replaces Portofino's and sounds a lot like the Olive Garden. There also will be a casual Central Park cafe for sandwiches, salads and such.

There wasn't all that much to actually see, however, so you'll have to keep fingers crossed until my next trip to Turku (can you tell I am dying to go back?)

Carolyn

PS In order, you're looking at the glass house, the T. Rex greenhouse, and the taped over skylight looking down to Royal Promenade.

100_2699.jpg.8a24728ab24bcedd882e51dcc9e50fa2.jpg

100_2701.jpg.91ca46c96ec70920125e2cd5dc75044e.jpg

100_2706.jpg.2d249ccf6451bff5cc15365b85a03e80.jpg

Carolyn ~ thank you very much for all the first hand reports and photos from Oasis. You have been the eyes and ears for so many envious future Oasis cruisers.

We have lived these last few days vicariously through you.

I do have a question about the Boardwalk balconies. I have a balcony on deck 10 about 5 cabins in from the rock wall port side...the structure like bridge at the end of the ship over the aqua theatre looks very wide...did you notice if it covers as a roof like structure over any of those boardwalk balcony cabins farthest aft?

That I wanted to sum up a couple of things. The ship is big but I have to say it wasn't exhausting to get around it. Mind you we didn't see everything by any stretch and there are probably a few secrets that Royal Caribbean will trot out in due time (we didn't see standard cabins, for one thing, even though many are already slotted into place and I know for a fact that the bathrooms at least have a different twist in layout from other RCI ships).

We didn't see the pool deck either though in my experience that's pretty much the last thing that gets gussied up.

But what I saw was so incredible and I'll admit that all things being equal I like Oceania-sized ships the best :) but still I am over the moon about Oasis of the Seas (well, I am also over the moon about Celebrity Solstice too but I won't go there).

Oasis of the Seas doesn't feel like a ship, bottom line. I forgot I was on one (particularly on one that at the time seemed precariously balanced on concrete blocks, LOL). And I think that is one way that the cruise industry is evolving. Speaking of which this ship, like others in the fleet as of April 2009, will be offering My Time Dining which gives you a choice between the set+tablemates, set+time scenario and a more flexible option. And may I just say IT IS ABOUT TIME FOR MY TIME (smiling but serious, too).

What Solstice feels like is a marvelous blend of the best of on-land resorts with all the bells and whistles they can offer, and that of cruising, where you can experience what I can only say after more than a decade of cruising (and many of you can top me) is the romance of being at sea. The balance of the two types of getaways should be cherished.

Oasis is not a threat to smaller ship cruising. And shouldn't be taken as such.

A lot of people, from shipyard folk to Richard Fain, Royal Caribbean's insanely creative and wonderfully innovative chairman, asked me (and I surmise, all and sundry LOL) what do you think? And I couldn't articulate what I thought. I was shellshocked a bit and my gosh, this is before the colorful bells and whistles are even loaded onboard!

I know I will love it. I know I have absolute respect for the creativity, the can-do attitudes, and the passion that have gone into Oasis thus far and will continue (there were team leaders from RCI spouting beautific comments, which you'd expect but the level of excitement was definitely on a higher plane; shipyard workers, the equivalent of crew members if you must pinpoint them in the scheme, were also starry eyed). I spotted one crew member furtively manning a camera, clicking away (and you have to remember that the workers at the yard have built a whole bunch of ships so it's not necessarily as exciting to them as to you and me). A note to the anonymous shipyard worker: if you're the reason we occasionally get those great impromptu shipyard shots (i.e. before official photos that are processed with official bureaucracy) posted on the Oasis forum, well I say thanks and keep them coming. Though, er you may want to be more subtle if youare doing this on the QT as I was on to you in a second.

This is what I say around the office these days: Oasis of the Seas is the most important, most innovative, cruise ship that was ever built. And whether you like big ships over small, that's ultimately irrelevant. This ship demands us to sit up and take notice. And by the reactions of the attendees this weekend from some 30-different countries, the world is taking notice.

Thanks for sharing the experience with me.

Carolyn

still amazed with the size of her with every picture I see

Archived