Emerald Princess - Just Returned Nov. 10th - 20th

Oradellian

I have decided you can't please all of the people of the the time. I read two reviews of the Emerald both from the October 31st sailing different as night and day I wondered if they were really on the same cruise.

As long as I don't have to cook or clean and do laundry for 10 days I'm a happy camper. If I had took this boards to heart my cruise last year on RCCL Jewel of the Seas could of be a disater but everyone said take it with a grain of salt. We had a awesome time loved every minute and now my dh is hooked on cruising.

I enjoy reading about peoples experiences on the Emerald but sometimes reading these thread I wonder if I'm booked the right cruise. I decided I did and I'm looking forward to boarding the Emerald on March 10th.

Christine

:eek: I'm shocked at how this thread (which I started a few days ago to help folks with upcoming Emerald Princess reservations) has turned into such a rant.

You have to look at the value proposition offered by Princess. I paid hundreds less per person for this cruise than I paid in 1995 for an equivalent 10-day cruise on the RCCL Monarch of the Seas.

That's real money back in my pocket.

And, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this cruise: our logistics were handled perfectly, our cabin and the ship as a whole was clean and neat and intelligently designed; the food and food services were decent without being gourmet; you could order a nice martini for $7 and the comedy shows were actually funny.

We started in traditional dining, 2nd seating and switched out to anytime dining, no problems. We ate at the Crown Grill and Sabatini's; we enjoyed the casual dining options when we were in a hurry. I could go on and on: the Spa, the Sanctuary, the field trips. Four pools on the ship!

With the economy in such shambles, we are looking at the Emerald Princess as a excellent deal and we would reserve Princess again.

Isn't everyone entitled to state their own opinions?

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Actuallly I entirely agree. And I was on this cruise!!!

My husband and I had a wonderful time, and by no means was this an inexpensive trip but like the above poster stated, in this economy, we were lucky to have gone at all.

Sure things like dinner service varied during our anytime dining experience, but honestly, I am there to enjoy being with my husband, having a meal cooked and cleaned up for me. So, if the service isnt the best we just scuff it off. (Both having worked in the serving industry prior, maybe we feel it might be alittle bit of karma?!!...just kidding;))

The shows were great!! While one poster was offened by the content, to be frank, I saw about 6 kids the whole cruise, so I don't quite see why an audience of adults would think it was inappropriate. But those are just my feelings.. (please dont attack..lol)

The servers on the pool deck did come around about ever 20 min, but all you had to say was, "No thanks." Not too hard?! Which while I am on vacation isnt so bad because half of the time, I actually ordered something. And it is there job, so I can relate.

All in all this (for us) was an incredible vacation, we met so many amazing people and had a WONDERFUL time. But i have to be honest before this trip, I came on the boards alot and read WAAAY more negative than positive, which almost made me not book with princess in the first place. I was nervous that our honeymoon wouldnt be spectacular. And while there were some cons, I just dont see how those out way any of the pros we experienced while on this ship, or just the trip in general.

SO for those of you sailing Emerald in the future, PLEASE I implore you to take each persons experience like a grain of salt, its just one small piece in a handful.

have fun for everyone sailing soon!! I cant tell you how jealous I am and wish I could go back to even just one of those days!!

*Chelsea

Overall I think the cruise was very good. But I do think my PH cabin was, for what I paid, not a good value. The food was overall good to very good....But with all this in mind, I still believe that everyone is entitled to state their own opinions.........I know there are some people that love to complain about anything, but they still have the right to state it. Once again, My Emerald cruise was overall excellent. I even posted a review http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48313 stating we enjoyed it.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I'm not so sure this has turned into a "rant" as much as people just noticing that a few things just weren't up to par with their past Princess experiences. It doesn't take much to keep my DH & I happy on vacation - as long as there is sunshine and a pool or beach to sit beside.

We look back on this cruise and have nothing but good to say to everyone at home and with our friends that we sailed with. It was an awesome vacation, and we made it exactly what we wanted those 10 days to be.

We have sailed with Celebrity and know their quality, and am about to sail with Carnival for the first time, and am a little unsure that even they will meet Princess standards.

I'm not so sure this has turned into a "rant" as much as people just noticing that a few things just weren't up to par with their past Princess experiences. It doesn't take much to keep my DH & I happy on vacation - as long as there is sunshine and a pool or beach to sit beside.

We look back on this cruise and have nothing but good to say to everyone at home and with our friends that we sailed with. It was an awesome vacation, and we made it exactly what we wanted those 10 days to be.

We have sailed with Celebrity and know their quality, and am about to sail with Carnival for the first time, and am a little unsure that even they will meet Princess standards.

I know what you mean about Carnival....I've heard so many so-so reports aver the years we've hesitated to sail with them but lately lots of people have been saying the opposite. If it weren't for all the perks we get with Princess I might give them a try.

Thanks cantstayhome - I agree that our vacation was overall very very good and the value offered by cruising is still great. I can't say this was a bad trip by any means - just a little less than we'd come to expect. We were probably spoiled by our first couple Princess cruises, but of course the experience is going to vary a bit depending on ship, crew, etc. There was nothing here that was bad enough to put us off cruising (or princess) and in fact I'm already planning our next cruise vacation.

Regarding the entertainment I was surprised by some of the content, but not offended. There were a few times where I heard (or saw) things that I never would have expected on a Princes cruise. It is true that there were almost no kids around on this particular cruise. In fact one comedian even inspected the audience and seeing no children commented on how he was going to kick his show up a notch.

For those cruising Emerald in the near future - use the comments above as items to be aware of, but be reassured that you're still going to have a great vacation :)

Hey, just because I found the alcohol content of my drinks to be lacking a bit does not mean I didn't have a blast on this cruise! The ship was clean, our cabin steward, Grace, was delightful and and the food was just fine. Entertainment was some good, some not so good, but it's like that with every ship....I can't wait for my next cruise, whether it be on Princess or some other line.

I was on the 11-10 to 20 Emerald too. I think we can all find something that disappointed us here or there or wasn't quite up to our expectations. But that's on any cruise. This was still a great cruise (member review just posted and I rated it highly). Though I'm up for a change (last 3 Princess cruises on mega, sister ships) I would go on the Emerald again tomorrow!

Go and enjoy. It's vacation!

Archived