Diamond Club question

webgal318

"I don't think it's disgraceful: it's up to the cruise line and their staff to make the decision."

Sure tell you what i'll book an inside cabin and nip up and rap the door of a Suite and say you don't mind me using your balcony for a few hours !!!

jj.....

The Concierge on each ship is allowed a certain amount of discretionary decision making. If the cruise can accomodate cabinmates, then the Concierge will do so. If there are too many on board, then they will have to say no. It's not a matter of cheating, but a matter of letting this floating hotel and their staff decide what they can and cannot do on each cruise.

I found absolutely no elitism or snobbery in any CL I've ever frequented. Just your usual friendly, smiling fellow cruisers.

This past August, my son and his fiancee and my husband and I were on the Mariner of the Seas. When my son brought in his fiancee (room mate), he was told she was not welcome. The Concierge told him he could enter but she couldn't. Went to the front desk and was told he was on enough cruises (13 in all) to know better and to leave her in the cabin if he wanted to come to the lounge. My husband and I are both Diamond. We all handed back our Diamond keys to the front desk and told them to keep them. Never heard of anything so ridiculous.

This past August, my son and his fiancee and my husband and I were on the Mariner of the Seas. When my son brought in his fiancee (room mate), he was told she was not welcome. The Concierge told him he could enter but she couldn't. Went to the front desk and was told he was on enough cruises (13 in all) to know better and to leave her in the cabin if he wanted to come to the lounge. My husband and I are both Diamond. We all handed back our Diamond keys to the front desk and told them to keep them. Never heard of anything so ridiculous.

Why? Because they actually followed the rules on your cruise? The rules have always been that you are not allowed to bring non-diamond members into the concierge lounge (or the diamond lounge). In some cases, if the lounge isn't too crowded, the concierges will make exceptions but it isn't a given. Don't know why you thought you should be any different than anyone else.

Don't know why you thought you should be any different than anyone else.

Maybe because RCI makes rules that they only enforce when it suits them. Arbitrary enforcement of any rules leads to confusion and you only have to read this thread to see the confusion caused by random enforcement.

"I don't think it's disgraceful: it's up to the cruise line and their staff to make the decision."

Sure tell you what i'll book an inside cabin and nip up and rap the door of a Suite and say you don't mind me using your balcony for a few hours !!!

jj.....

Uh, no, you cannot use my balcony! :D

Not sure why you consider it to be ridiculous that someone should actually enforce the rules.:confused: Did you ask how many diamond and diamond plus members were on your sailing and consider that perhaps the lounge was already overcrowded with persons actually eligible to have access? The fact that in their discretion, some concierges occasionally bend the rules doesn't mean that it should occur just because you want it to and if anything is ridiculous it is thinking that someone who doesn't qualify for admittance, should be admitted to the lounge because you want them to be admitted.:rolleyes: Perhaps we missed the fine print which says that you are the final arbiter of who will be admitted to the lounge.

Just got off Independence. Roomies were not allowed in Diamond lounge. I asked, as I had a friend with me who has only sailed once before. Oh yea, that was the second question I asked.........."no" both times, although I have no problem with being told no for roomie.

Just got off Independence. Roomies were not allowed in Diamond lounge. I asked, as I had a friend with me who has only sailed once before. Oh yea, that was the second question I asked.........."no" both times, although I have no problem with being told no for roomie.

But I bet you didn't throw a fit when you were told no.;)

This should put an end to the discussion for a while. I sent an e mail to C & A and I was told "no."

Again, my dad is 83 and will not live long enough to see diamond, my husband is dead, and sadly, I will have to go to the lounge alone if I want to go at all - that stinks. :(

Sylvia

I went on Liberty just this past October and Mario was the Diamond CL. The first day at 5:00 (there were not many people in there at that time) I went to the Diamond Lounge and asked him if I could bring my fiancee (this was his first cruise) in with me and he said it would not be a problem. I also would not have used their services if I had to leave my fiance in the room while I sat there bored out of my mind.

But I bet you didn't throw a fit when you were told no.;)

Rather not - I handled the one myself and just showed my roomie in the door early in the day so she could see for herself. Actually if you come up the back stairs to the open area no one will even know you're there. :D

This should put an end to the discussion for a while. I sent an e mail to C & A and I was told "no."

Again, my dad is 83 and will not live long enough to see diamond, my husband is dead, and sadly, I will have to go to the lounge alone if I want to go at all - that stinks. :(

Sylvia

I do not normally agree with taking others in but I must admit, in your case I would make an exception.

Have they started giving a CL card per person? On Legend we had 1 card for the room, but the lounge was rarely full. I'm still confused about the diamond status. I know I have enough cruises to be diamond (almost +) but hubby does not. I been told here that he is automatically diamond because I am but then I was told that he wasn't. We had a letter addressed to Mr. & Mrs. from the concierge in our room on Legend and the concierge didn't say anything about my husband being there. If you are supposed to have 1 card per person for the CL, then I have to assume he wasn't supposed to be in the lounge but he went both with and without me anyway. C&A currently has his past cruises a mess so they don't know what he is although he should have made diamond from our last cruise. Most of the time I don't have pockets onboard so only carry my sea pass card if I'm not with my husband.

If your husband lives at the same address as you, which I assume he does, he is automatically diamond . All family member living at the same address are entitled to whatever status the higher status member has in that household as long as they have one completed cruise and are C&A Society members. Check his status online and if it is not the same as your's call C&A Society to have them correct it.

• 3 weeks later...
I was recently told that RCI is changing the rule as of January 2009 to allow ONLY Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor members into the Concierge Lounge. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

No I haven't. From whom did you hear that?

My travel agent. She is not very happy about it and neither am I. She didn't have any details on it and I can't seem to find anything out about it from the Royal Caribbean website. I was hoping someone in this forum would have some info.

My travel agent. She is not very happy about it and neither am I. She didn't have any details on it and I can't seem to find anything out about it from the Royal Caribbean website. I was hoping someone in this forum would have some info.

I haven't heard of this either. I am D+ and a TA and there has been nothing released to that effect yet.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a free drink and hors d'ouvres - not a big deal really. I am travelling with my DH and Mom who are Diamonds and my best friend and his wife with no RCI history...it's up to the concierge if we get to enjoy the lounge together or not.

....sometimes, just sometimes, the car dealer with give a free oil change to make the customer happy while earning their business - isn't that what hospitality is all about?

I was recently told that RCI is changing the rule as of January 2009 to allow ONLY Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor members into the Concierge Lounge. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

We have been reading these rumors about changes to the C&A program for well over a year now. :rolleyes: First the changes were reported to be "imminent" and when some time passed without anything happening, we were told that they would take place January 1st. We are now entering the second week in January and to the best of my knowledge, nothing has happened. Frankly, unless or until RCI actually announces changes in its program (and if such changes are to be made I believe that such an announcement will be made well before any changes are implemented), I choose to ignore rumors, especially those which come from conversations with nameless crew members, loyalty ambassadors, and ship's officers.

It just isn't very productive to waste time worrying about things that may or may not ever happen.

It's a free drink and hors d'ouvres - not a big deal really. I am travelling with my DH and Mom who are Diamonds and my best friend and his wife with no RCI history...it's up to the concierge if we get to enjoy the lounge together or not.

....sometimes, just sometimes, the car dealer with give a free oil change to make the customer happy while earning their business - isn't that what hospitality is all about?

In this case, no. You aren't asking for hospitality you are asking for something that is earned.

Archived