Charging Extra For Steak in Dining Room

The issue is paying for a'la carte menu items in main dining rooms  

172 members have voted

1. 1. The issue is paying for a'la carte menu items in main dining rooms

• Would you pay 15 bucks to eat a steak in the main dining room?
    • Would you avoid a'la carte food choices in main dining room
    • Would you pay the service charge to eat in alternative restaurants?

If I pay your the lousy $15.00 will you stop whining about the steak??

If ya don't want it don't buy it!

No one has a gun being held to your head to eat the 'Special Steak'

Haaaaaaaaaa!!! Good post!:D

And, I agree!

I didn't see it on the Enchantment in September or the Serenade in October.

I don't get it: why would you pay $15 for the steak in the dining room, when for $20 you get the WHOLE DINNER with the Flourless Chocolate Cake????!!!!!!!

I guess I see it as a deeper issue. It's not about the steak itself. It could have been any item that they charged extra for. In my opinion, cruising includes no-charge food in the dining room. If we accept the steak, we will soon accept other for-fee foods. I disagree with that concept.

And, the poll options... really.. they make no sense. what's the question, and what are the options?

Excellent post.

Okay, so I heard from the head of food & beverage, while touring Oasis of the Seas yesterday, that the test effort to charge extra for so-called "organic" steak in the Royal Caribbean dining rooms was going very "well".

Really? You tell me. This is the quote I got: "It's running quite well having the Chops Grille steak in the main dining room for an upcharge. We have demand for it and beyond that many RCI ships don't have specialty restaurants."

See below.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

If someone is willing to pay for the steak then I don't see the problem with it. BUT, if it means that the "free" options will be reduced or of a lesser quality then I would certainly have a problem with that.

On our cruise this past October on the Mariner, we were very disappointed in the quality and selection of the main dining room food. We noticed a significant decline in both as compare to our Mariner cruise from October 2007.

On our cruise this past October on the Mariner, we were very disappointed in the quality and selection of the main dining room food. We noticed a significant decline in both as compare to our Mariner cruise from October 2007.

Just like going to different restaurants on land, it all depends on the chef in the kitchen, and the Food and Bev Mgr.

I've been on the Enchantment and the Serenade in the last two months, and the food was very good on both ships in the dining room and Windjammer.

Just like going to different restaurants on land, it all depends on the chef in the kitchen, and the Food and Bev Mgr.

I've been on the Enchantment and the Serenade in the last two months, and the food was very good on both ships in the dining room and Windjammer.

I agree Peggy. The food on the Freedom was good two weeks ago. No complaints at all but when I read here, I see complaints about the food on the Freedom. Just goes to show that all comments about food should be taken very lightly.

I also agree with you that the ship can make a difference.

I don't get it: why would you pay $15 for the steak in the dining room, when for $20 you get the WHOLE DINNER with the Flourless Chocolate Cake????!!!!!!!

This option in the dining room would be nice for those traveling with a group when the whole group didn't want to eat in the Specialty Restaurant.

###

:DJust off AOS two weeks ago...no $15.00 steak on those menus... also no "Chops" on this ship. I had the angus steak every nite (other cruises it has been excellent) and found the quality to be up to my standards.

The portion size is about 6 oz. and I don't think I could eat a larger piece with ALL the other eating during the day etc. IMHO if they want to offer it..whatever.. buy it or don't.

My table mates were pleased with all their meals all week.. we don't think quality has suffered & we're all more than satisfied with our dining experiences... on this ship & the Empress!

Happy Eating & Cruiseing!!!!

I think it's a great option in the main dining room......if Chops was booked and I wanted a great steak I would definitely order it in the MD and am glad to pay the $15. Also there are many with kids who aren't able to make the specialty restaurants and would enjoy the choice of ordering a great steak and are very willing to pay $15 for it...KUDOs...and THANKS RCCL for offering us the choice;)

Did it slip by some of you folks who was the OP on this thread?

Obviously OP was very serious about the question or would not have posted the poll. She is not a troll... :-)

LL

I know she's not a troll but since there's been multiple threads AND polls about this topic I don't think yet another one was needed - especially not one started by Cruise Critic.

Archived