Charging Extra For Steak in Dining Room

The issue is paying for a'la carte menu items in main dining rooms  

172 members have voted

1. 1. The issue is paying for a'la carte menu items in main dining rooms

• Would you pay 15 bucks to eat a steak in the main dining room?
    • Would you avoid a'la carte food choices in main dining room
    • Would you pay the service charge to eat in alternative restaurants?

Okay, so I heard from the head of food & beverage, while touring Oasis of the Seas yesterday, that the test effort to charge extra for so-called "organic" steak in the Royal Caribbean dining rooms was going very "well".

Really? You tell me. This is the quote I got: "It's running quite well having the Chops Grille steak in the main dining room for an upcharge. We have demand for it and beyond that many RCI ships don't have specialty restaurants."

See below.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

We did not buy it on our cruise, nor did anyone at our table for 10, any of the nights.

However i asked about it and the waiter gave me the same story, "oh its quite popular, many people have ordered it"

Would they really tell you if it wasn't going well? Just a thought...

"Going well" seems to be a very vague and relative term.

The waiter on Majesty was very blunt and honest. It was NOT selling well AT ALL.

In the end, who cares?

If they want to charge $15 for the steak or other things, let them. Buyer still has the final choice whether to pay for it or order something else.

We all know the cruiselines are all heading down the same road as the airlines - everything will one day be a la carte. Why make a stink about it - live with it, decide what to do, and then do it.

I find that base airline fares are now higher than previously, then they add all the fees and surcharges, and then they are charging the baggage fees. Cruises are going to be the same in the future - your fare will simply get you into your cabin. Anything else, it's going to cost you. The wheels are already in motion. At some point, the loads are going to go down and the cruiselines will realize it isn't working, or, they will still fill the ships and think they were right having raised the price of cruising and changing customers mindset and expectations.

However, unlike airlines, where the customer doesn't always have an acceptable alternative, vacationers certainly do have many options available as alternatives to cruising.

Howard

In the end, who cares?

If they want to charge $15 for the steak or other things, let them. Buyer still has the final choice whether to pay for it or order something else.

We all know the cruiselines are all heading down the same road as the airlines - everything will one day be a la carte. Why make a stink about it - live with it, decide what to do, and then do it.

I find that base airline fares are now higher than previously, then they add all the fees and surcharges, and then they are charging the baggage fees. Cruises are going to be the same in the future - your fare will simply get you into your cabin. Anything else, it's going to cost you. The wheels are already in motion. At some point, the loads are going to go down and the cruiselines will realize it isn't working, or, they will still fill the ships and think they were right having raised the price of cruising and changing customers mindset and expectations.

However, unlike airlines, where the customer doesn't always have an acceptable alternative, vacationers certainly do have many options available as alternatives to cruising.

Howard

Who cares, I can tell you, I care. Its unacceptable to charge in the MDR.

The only place I can maybe see it working is on the ships that don't have specialty restaurants - and then, only if it really was a Steakhouse quality cut of meat. It would be nice if they'd add some specialty bells & whistles too - like dessert consisting of an entire serving of flourless chocolate cake!

The steak in question was not available on Mariner in Sept. or on Independence last 2 weeks for the transatlantic. If it were available in the DR I would NOT choose it. We do go to Chops & Portofino.

The angus steak (or whatever they called it) that was on the menu on Independence was pretty tough....shades of ranch steak. I did not vote in the poll because I would need to check two of the selections.

Its unacceptable to charge in the MDR.

Thank you for telling everyone what is not acceptable...to you.

As I said - get used to it, because that is the direction things are headed and will be in the future.

Please don't turn this into another thread with 800 pages of you on your soapbox.

Thanks.

Howard

In the end, who cares?

Howard

Bingo, we have a winner. That's exactly what's happening.

On the Freedom it was a filet mignon. They also had the Black Angus sirloin each night for the ones that wanted it and yes it was printed on the menu. Of course no charge. I also saw guests purchasing the filet. I really could care less one way or the other. Raise the prices and cut out all of the surcharges or keep the prices down and let each guest decide what they want to pay for. Not hard to figure out.

I for one will be happy to pay $15 for a decent steak in the dining room on some nights if it is available. We will dine at Chops and Portofino yet we do the MDR most nights as Mr. Ski loves to visit w/ his tablemates. I would have GLADLY paid for it had it been an option on BR back in June!

Bingo, we have a winner. That's exactly what's happening.

On the Freedom it was a filet mignon. They also had the Black Angus sirloin each night for the ones that wanted it and yes it was printed on the menu. Of course no charge. I also saw guests purchasing the filet. I really could care less one way or the other. Raise the prices and cut out all of the surcharges or keep the prices down and let each guest decide what they want to pay for. Not hard to figure out.

How can you think that by having a $15 steak surcharge or anyother surcharge that somehow that keeps the price of the cruise down. Have you ever thought that the cruise price is going to be has high as they can get away with and the surcharges stay. It has nothing to do with letting each guest decide what they want to pay for, therefore the cruise price is lowered.

I guess I see it as a deeper issue. It's not about the steak itself. It could have been any item that they charged extra for. In my opinion, cruising includes no-charge food in the dining room. If we accept the steak, we will soon accept other for-fee foods. I disagree with that concept.

And, the poll options... really.. they make no sense. what's the question, and what are the options?

I think it is a safe bet that cruise lines will not be raising their rates for awhile while the economy is taking a nose dive and they are seeing their bookings pace off from last year. There will be more great deals out there. So if they want to charge for a nice steak in the dining room fine, not going buy it much prefer going to Chops.

Archived