Taking Passport question

dvdisney

Sorry, I did a search, but there were way too many posts involving passports to weed through.

We are taking a cruise to Cozumel in 3 days (whoo hoo). Just wondering. Should we take our passports off the ship with us on our excursion (not with Carnival) or will our id card or copy of passport be okay if something happens?

Thanks!

DV:

I never take my passport off the ship. I take photo ID, credit card and a copy of the passport. Cozumel is another country but they certainly are more relaxed than some of the other Islands/Countries.

I like keeping the original on the ship so if something does happen, someone can get in the cabin and get it. Or if I lose something it is only a copy

Enjoy your cruise, we'll be in Cozumel in 42 days :)

If you are taking a cruise line offered excursion you will not need to take your passport, but if going off on your own then most definetly take it and a credit card, just in case, you would not believe how expensive it would get to be re-patriozed without it.

If you do not want to take it, don't, but in that case you can skip the copy too. It only says that yes, you have at one time probably had a passport, nothing else.

If you have taken the time and spent the money on a passport, why don't you want to use it for what it is intended for?

You do not need it to board the ship. A bc and dl will work for that. You do need it to get on an airplane in the event you find you need to.

Yeah, Mexico is pretty relaxed on cruise rules, but go to the airport and see what they say about a copy of a passport.

Keep the copy in the safe. If you need to use the passport, a copy is the exact same as not having one at all.

And the people that advise taking your id, credit card and a COPY of your passport? Why not leave your credit card and lic in your safe and take a copy of that. That way if you lose it, you have only lost a copy.

You don't do that because a copy of the credit card or lic will not work and neither will a copy of your passport.

While in port you really and trully are in another country.

If you do not want to take it, don't, but in that case you can skip the copy too. It only says that yes, you have at one time probably had a passport, nothing else. It would say that you have it onboard in your cabin

If you have taken the time and spent the money on a passport, why don't you want to use it for what it is intended for? Not that someone does not want to use it, but have you ever had to replace a passport - Not the easiest thing to do and it is not needed on the Island, so why risk it

You do not need it to board the ship. A bc and dl will work for that. You do need it to get on an airplane in the event you find you need to.

Yeah, Mexico is pretty relaxed on cruise rules, but go to the airport and see what they say about a copy of a passport. What is the point, they will not be at the airport, they are on a cruise so this would not apply

Keep the copy in the safe. If you need to use the passport, a copy is the exact same as not having one at all. Makes no sense, if you lose the original replacement is not easy -

And the people that advise taking your id, credit card and a COPY of your passport? Why not leave your credit card and lic in your safe and take a copy of that. That way if you lose it, you have only lost a copy. Too sarcastic - no need to respond

You don't do that because a copy of the credit card or lic will not work and neither will a copy of your passport. From experience I have used a copy of my passport while in port and had no issues with it at all. the police officer actually said it was wise to carry a copy and keep the original with the cruise line who in an emergency could assist.

While in port you really and trully are in another country. I believe I stated it was another country, yet very relaxed

See above.........

when you say carrie a "copy", are you talking about a xerox copy or something else?

We have always just made a xerox copy and kept it with us, it will be fine for what is needed on the Islands

Sorry, I did a search, but there were way too many posts involving passports to weed through.

We are taking a cruise to Cozumel in 3 days (whoo hoo). Just wondering. Should we take our passports off the ship with us on our excursion (not with Carnival) or will our id card or copy of passport be okay if something happens?

Thanks!

As you can see the answers are already coming hot and heavy.

All that you need to re-enter the ship is a photo ID and your sign and sail card.

Should you take your passport off the ship with you? Only you can decide. In my opinion it is not necessary. I base this on the fact that one of the lines that my DW and cruise on collects ALL passports at the beginning of the voyage and returns them on the morning of debarkation. Since they do that it tells me that there is no need to carry the passport ashore.

Copies are only good for taking up space in your pocket, don't bother with them.

Your choice, good luck with whatever you decide.

I am going to second with Skylock. In a worst case scenario if you become separated from your tour group or miss getting back on the ship in time you are going to have a hell of a time trying to leave the country. No matter how lax a country is there is no way in the world they are going to accept a copy of your passport instead of the real deal.

See above.........

Actually I have had to replace a passport. BF lost his in Rome. (not on a cruise) We had a copy. Didn't mean crap.

I had to come home and leave him there. He got home 2 days later and a lot poorer.

Embassy helped him, but they took their dear sweet time.

Actually I have had to replace a passport. BF lost his in Rome. (not on a cruise) We had a copy. Didn't mean crap.

I had to come home and leave him there. He got home 2 days later and a lot poorer.

Embassy helped him, but they took their dear sweet time.

Thanks you just made my point! If you lost your copy (if you were robbed or hurt), someone you were traveling with could go back on the ship and get the original. If you had an emergency and needed it; the folks on the ship would get it for you and would get the original to you. Also it would alert the staff on the ship that something happened and they would not spend a ton of time trying to figure it out.

Cruising is much different than walking around Rome - I would not have taken a copy walking around Rome, I would have had the original, but that is not what the OP was asking about

Yes they are expensive and time extensive to get one replaced so leave it on the ship and carry a copy!

I've had a passport for decades - long before I started cruising. I am simply used to keeping my passport with me when on foreign soil.

I take it with me.

Obviously, the two sides are very divided.

YOU decide what you want to do and just do it! No one here can tell you whether you should or should not take your passport with you. Just do what you feel most comfortable with, and understand the consequences both of needing it and not having it or losing it if you do take it.

Oh, and the search is working beautifully now. If you did do a search and found threads asking this question you would see that they would have the exact same sorts of answers - people vehement that you should take it with you and people vehement that you should leave it on the ship.

I'd just like to add that a close friend and former assistant cruise director told me to take my passport while in port.

He's seen quite a few cases of people who assumed they were fine and then missed the ship or had some kind of emergency. Unfortunately the only recourse without your passport is to wait at the local and often understaffed embassy for assistance.

The cruise ship is not going to air lift your passport to you in an emergency. To me it seems like a much bigger risk to assume the cruise ship will be able to deliver the original copy of your passport at all.

I do agree with nearly every poster on here that it is a personal decision, although honestly having a hard time seeing the logic behind those that leave the passport behind and/or take a photocopy.

All the posters have a point. I personally take mine with me. If for some reason we get hurt or stranded somewhere I know I will be able to get home. More than likely that will not happen but why take the chance. I rather have to go through the trouble of getting another passport if it gets lost or stolen than be stuck somewhere and I sure would not depend on anyone else to go and get it for me if need be. You should also take at least one credit card and your DL with you for emergencies. If you need to fly home for any reason you will need both of those to do so. By the way I never leave our stuff unattended at any time. One of us is always with it. This is my opinion on the subject. You have to make the decision that is right for you.

...will our id card or copy of passport be okay if something happens?Thanks!
Depends on what you mean by 'ok' and 'if something happens'. Copy of passport will not get you on a plane if you need to fly somewhere (home or next port). If it is in your safe, you will have to arrange with cruise line to get it out of the safe and to you. Sometimes that can happen in the port before the ship leaves without you, because you called ahead that you will be late. But sometimes that means the passport and ship go to the next port, and you have to wait around until passport can be retrieved and fedexed back to you. Either way it will cost you $$ for a hotel and/or airfare.

--Do most people find themselves in need of their passport while in port? NO.

--Do those who do need their passport wish they had them with them instead of a useless copy and/or back on ship in a safe? YES.

--Will you need yours? Depends on you. I rarely take mine, but I know the risks. There are arguments for and against, but the probability of needing it varies with the port, the activity and your own timeliness and reliability.

Just out of curiosity......

I understand the rationale of those people advocating leaving your passport on the ship so you don't lose it. I don't agree with the rationale, but I understand it. However, I don't understand the purpose of carrying a copy. It's not going to help you in the least if you miss the ship or otherwise get stranded while in port.

So, to those of you advocating such a policy: what's the purpose of the copy?

Madman,

I would be curious in hearing the rationale, too. I know that a copy is suitable in many cases for consumer transactions, such as showing 'ID' for a drink or showing a name with picture that matches a credit card or for booking a hotel room in some foreign countries. But it is not usable for travel cross borders.

Well, since there hasn't been a response since this was posted yesterday afternoon, apparently, no one can provide one. :D

No, but according to dst

From experience I have used a copy of my passport while in port and had no issues with it at all. the police officer actually said it was wise to carry a copy and keep the original with the cruise line who in an emergency could assist.

Unfortunately, she did not elaborate on why she had to use her copy or why she was discussing the merits of having a copy vs. the real thing with a police officer in a port.

Thanks!

The whole idea of a passport is for identification. While all you need to reboard the ship is a photo ID and your S&S card, those things won't help you at all if anything happens ashore. If you miss the ship, are in an accident, are arrested or held for any reason - you must have a valid ID with you. If you are going to leave the passport in the room....why bother getting one. It does no good there...and a copy of your passport is worthless ashore.

As for people worrying about losing it, that's simply not valid. An adult surely can keep the passport in a safe place on their person - like they keep their wallet or other important documents and cards.

IMHO, if you leave your passport in your cabin, you might as well leave it at home. The entire purpose of a passport is to facilitate travel in a foreign country. In recent years, it has become almost mandatory to simply return to the US.

If all goes well when you go ashore, of course, you won't need it. If you ever do find yourself in a situation in which you need a passport, a copy simply won't do. As someone else said, a copy merely indicates that at some time, in a distant galaxy, a long, long time ago, you had a passport. It might help the embassy or consulate expedite a replacement.

During this strange period, in which a certified birth certificate will suffice to re-enter the country by sea, but not by air, here is what I plan to do. I will take both our passports and our birth certificates. When we go ashore in a foreign port, the passport will go with us and tbe BC will stay in the cabin safe. If we miss the ship, as long as I have my PP and a credit card, I can fly home or to the next destination. If I lose my PP in port, I can still re-enter the US, using my birth certificate.

In the extremely unlikely event that I lose my passport AND miss the ship, I will do what I would have to do if I only had a copy of my passport; enlist the assistance of the US Embassy or Consulate.

On those cruises, that someone mentioned, where the cruise line collects passports, this is done at the requirement of the countries being visited. Some countries prefer to review all the passports of the passengers at once, rather than having everyone wait in line at the port. I have also heard of cruises where the line took the passports, gave them back for one or two ports and then re-collected them. Again, it all depends on the host countries.

Paul

In the extremely unlikely event that I lose my passport AND miss the ship, I will do what I would have to do if I only had a copy of my passport; enlist the assistance of the US Embassy or Consulate.

Yes in the extreme unlikely event if I miss the ship I will do the same......

My passport for now will stay in my safe........

We were recently in Cabo, we had to show our passport to the local "police" just to get onto the dock, then show our cabin card to get onto the tender back to the ship. No passport, I don't know what would happen, and I wouldn't want to find out...

Archived