Just back from Samana with independent tour info

queenL

DH is interested in this (probably because of the speed boat aspect of it!). Was the speed boat a rough ride for 30-40 minutes? I've been avoiding the 4x4 or safari trip because it indicates it is off road and very bumpy. We have to be concerned about our necks! About how many people does a boat hold?

I notice it says C&M is a 3 on activity level, meaning strenuous, so am concerned. From the photos, it looks as if the boat that pulls right up to the ship is easily boarded, but what concerns me is the ducking inside the cave. What sort of climbing is involved? We can climb, but maybe not as rapidly as younger folk. We are 68 and 72.

Help us decide if we can do this, or if we'd be a burden on the rest of the group. Thanks

I took this trip last year. There is some uneven ground around the caves but we had all ages, it's not as if you'll have a lot of marathon runners glaring at you. The caves require some caution; there is a few feet of elevation (the equivalent of a flight of stairs at most, not as steep) and rough footing, but as long as you watch your step you'll be okay. They don't rush you. The boat crews should have a husky guy or two to get you in and out of the boat, if need be.

Boat ride depends on the seas. We had smooth seas going out and it was a nice fast ride. Coming back we had 3-4 foot waves and we were going fast, and we did bounce. Not much whipsawing back and forth, just up off the top of the waves and WHAM into the trough. Over and over a few hundred times. You might take that into consideration. It does take about 45 minutes.

Aside from the caves the tour is on the water. Chronic drunks and adrenaline junkies probably won't like it - better for people with at least some curiosity about natural history/archeology. You will see a few dozen picturesque islets, flocks of egrets and vultures and other birds, a couple of large and small caves, some Tainu Indian pictographs (rock drawings) in the caves, and the mangroves which have extensive areas of roots above the water. Plus the boat-ride which will be fast and, depending on the waves, maybe bumpy.

When our tour was over they dropped us off right at Cayo Levantado for an hour or two of "relaxing". It is a privately held island, half of which is leased by the cruise lines, with a medium-sized beach, clean restrooms, some entertainment, souvenirs, a few acres of grass and palm trees. Pretty and relaxing. No free food on the island, however.

Just an update on this thread. It has been stated by a reviewer who has just returned that a group on the Sea princess were on a ship tour and some sort of cord was stretched across the road and the group mugged. I don't know any further details or indeed if correct, take a look at the latest sea princess review on the review boards.

We are scheduled to take an independent tour in Samana. I'm a little concerned now about the recent muggings. Where was this reported?

The latest report was from a passenger on Fred Olson lines who has just returned.http://www.fred-olsen.cruises.co.uk/cruise-reviews/braemar/read_review_11799/

6 of us found a "tour guide" at the tender pier who arranged a beach tour for us. We were leery at first, but it actually worked out great!

We paid $160 total (nothing up front) and Elijah found a taxi bus driver who took us to Las Torrenas which is a beautiful beach complete with little beach bars sporadically located on the strand. Elijah and the driver waited around for 3 hours while we enjoyed the beach and he even offered to run to the bar for us for the $4 22 oz ice cold El Presidentes.

The 30 minute drive to the beach from the tender pier was interesting and I would not have wanted to stop and get out anywhere along the way, but the beach itself was in a tourist area with plenty of cab drivers and people around. All in all, it was a great experience

• 4 weeks later...

We are sailing on Msc Orchestra on March 21, 2009. I am understanding we I going to the Cayo Laventado beach. It is not free lunch you have to pay. Can anyone fill us in on all there is to do here. We are interested in Parasailing or wave runners. Any and all help is appreciated for this stop.

queenL: Thanks so much for posting this info. I just came back from Samana last week and I planned our own excursions at every port except Samana for the same reason: couldn't find much info on independent tours. This is great info' date=' as we may do this itinerary again with my family next year!

We did the ship's excursion to the caves and mangroves because we didn't have any info on things we could do on our own, besides going into town.

Thanks again for the research you did and for sharing your information.[/quote']

See you did the caves & mangroves. How did you like this tour? We are going the end of March. Confused as to what to do:confused:. Your input would be very helpful:D

Past Cruises:

2003 Serenade of the Seas – Canada

2004 Voyager of the Seas – Western Caribbean

2005 Jewel of the Seas – Westbound Transatlantic

2006 Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2006 Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda

2007 Radiance of the Seas – Hawaii Circle

2008 Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean

2008 Eurodam – NYC Introduction Cruise

Future Cruises:

2009 Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean

2009 Norwegian Jewel – New England & Canada