Expertflyer comes through again-Booking FF ticket is soooo easy

greatam

Greatam,

Can expertflyer be used to check on the availability of American FF Partner award tickets? I am returning from Rome in September 09 and I have booked my flights my B.C. award tickets. I booked them as soon as seats were released, but I was hoping to get a better return or possible even a direct flight to Chicago. I have check the AA website almost daily looking for an improved option. I do know that one cannot fly BA across the pond due to restrictions, but I have not been able to see any flights better than the ones that I have already booked. So I was wondering if Expertflyer is a tool that can be effectively used to monitor the available of better flights within American and with their Partners? What is your experience and recommendation related to Expertflyer? What is the cost? I am looking for a return on September 28th for either Business or First Class. From your posts, I can see that you have a lot of experience in this area. Thanks.

Expertflyer "premium" is $9.99 per month. Premium gives you the email alerts to let you know when an airline releases seats AND gives you the option to look 3 days forward and back of your preferred travel date. Is it worth it???? Even if you had to monitor for a whole year, 2 business class seats are worth what????-$4-6,000.00 ??? A bargain in my book. I have been EXTREMELY successful getting first/business class international upgrades for 3 years. Upgrades are my preferred method of travel-use miles, but gain miles at the same time. You can start and stop the subscription anytime you want. If you let the subscription lapse (you have to WRITE to get it canceled), next time you need it, just log in and renew. Very easy and very helpful.

Some of the "partners" show on EF. OW airlines BA, LAN and Cathay do not show up. Qantas does. But quite a few of the other partners do. That is how I found the Brussels Airlines availability mentioned below.

This Dubai trip threw me for a loop-both for the destination and for the time of year (they are leaving Jan 3-PREMIUM weekend for business/first class Xmas traffic). By playing around with EF for a quite a while and setting up the email alerts, I was able to get a reasonable routing so late in the game, all business class, all the way to Dubai (except for the 1.5 hour flight from Tucson to DFW). I was really stuck for a ticket from PHX/DFW. Was going to have to pay a REAL premium just for a coach ticket. Then all of a sudden that great email came in-no tickets from PHX, but 2 from Tuscon to DFW. Could sure get them to Tucson (about 125 miles) a lot easier than trying to get them to Dallas.

For your situation, have you looked at Brussels Airlines from FCO to BRU and then nonstop Flight 89 into ORD on AA?? You can't see the Brussels Airlines availability on AA.com, but you should be able to see the BRU (or FRA or LHR segments) Have to leave FCO on the 6:30AM flight to make the 11:05AM. nonstop to ORD. I can see Z (first) availability from BRU to ORD for 1 seat on 9/28, none on the 29 and 1 business, 1 first on 9/30 (these are milesaver seats, NOT anytime).

You just have to keep playing around with different combinations. FCO/LHR/ORD, FCO/LHR/JFK/ORD, FCO/BRU/ORD, FCO/BRU/JFK/ORD options from Europe through RDU, options from Europe through FRA, options through Boston. FRA was the availability I found to get to Europe on a busy, busy holiday weekend-DFW/FRA, back to LHR on BA, then onto Dubai.

If you need to see BA availability (and some Cathay and LAN), sign up for a BA Exec Club membership if you don't already have one (free). Then start playing around with that website on the "check availability page".

And once you have determined ANY viable routings, even with only one seat and even if it has intra Europe BA flights, call AA with possible routings. Intra Europe BA flights are usually available, even if you have to take an hour flight in coach.

Greatam,

Can expertflyer be used to check on the availability of American FF Partner award tickets? I am returning from Rome in September 09 and I have booked my flights my B.C. award tickets. I booked them as soon as seats were released, but I was hoping to get a better return or possible even a direct flight to Chicago. I have check the AA website almost daily looking for an improved option. I do know that one cannot fly BA across the pond due to restrictions, but I have not been able to see any flights better than the ones that I have already booked. So I was wondering if Expertflyer is a tool that can be effectively used to monitor the available of better flights within American and with their Partners? What is your experience and recommendation related to Expertflyer? What is the cost? I am looking for a return on September 28th for either Business or First Class. From your posts, I can see that you have a lot of experience in this area. Thanks.

Not trying to steal Greatam's thunder, but in general, you can't see AA partner availability on EF, with a couple of exceptions (Alaska Airlines is visible, and coach on Qantas, also coach/business on Finnair, but IIRC no other Oneworld partners.)

The easy workaround is to sign up for the Qantas FF program, then log in and go to the Qantas award screens, which show availability for most (again, not all) Oneworld partners including AA, BA, Iberia and of course Qantas itself.

Same goes for BA - sign up for the BAEC and you can access their FF award planning tools. With both the BA and QF sites I haven't encountered situations where seats are available to their own flyers but not to AAdvantage members.

Specifically, there are BA business and first class seats available from Heathrow to Toronto on the 28th, so FCO-LHR-YYZ-ORD ought to be doable. The BA transatlantic prohibition applies only to UK < > USA, not Canada or Mexico.

EF is $100 a year for the deluxe version. They have a trial program if you want to give it a road test.

Specifically, there are BA business and first class seats available from Heathrow to Toronto on the 28th, so FCO-LHR-YYZ-ORD ought to be doable. The BA transatlantic prohibition applies only to UK < > USA, not Canada or Mexico.

Great routing. I always forget about using BA into Canada. GRAB those seats, jagoffee. So much better than my routing on Brussels Airlines and AA.

Thank you both for your input and suggestions.

I am currently on these flights:

553 ROME FIUMICINO MON 28SEP

11:55 AM LONDON HEATHROW 1:35 PM U

Club Exc

125 LONDON HEATHROW MON 28SEP

3:15 PM BOSTON 5:40 PM U

Business Seat 4J Dinner/Snack

1081 BOSTON MON 28SEP

8:15 PM CHICAGO OHARE 9:55 PM Z

First Seat 4F Snack

I will check out the ones that you suggested. I will departing the cruise on the morning of September 28th and these are not bad, and I get into Chicago on the same day. The connection is a little short at Heathrow, 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Thank you both for your input and suggestions.

I am currently on these flights:

553 ROME FIUMICINO MON 28SEP

11:55 AM LONDON HEATHROW 1:35 PM U

Club Exc

125 LONDON HEATHROW MON 28SEP

3:15 PM BOSTON 5:40 PM U

Business Seat 4J Dinner/Snack

1081 BOSTON MON 28SEP

8:15 PM CHICAGO OHARE 9:55 PM Z

First Seat 4F Snack

I will check out the ones that you suggested. I will departing the cruise on the morning of September 28th and these are not bad, and I get into Chicago on the same day. The connection is a little short at Heathrow, 1 hour and 40 minutes.

I would definitely stay with what you have. The connection through Toronto would put you into Chicago an hour later. The AA 767 service from LHR to BOS is fine; the new seats are good and the video is quite good; in recent trips on BA in business class I've frankly found the food and service to be a little inferior to comparable AA flights.

The terminal switch at LHR is not especially tight; you should ask for and receive "fast track" clearance as you're in business class.

Frankly I'd be more concerned at getting from Civitavecchia to FCO for a flight before noon. You'll want to be off the boat pronto.

Check your terminals at LHR - if it is T5/T5 then you have enough time. If it is T3/T5 or that kind, you may be a little bit short, as you need to take the Flight Connection shuttle, at Landside, and go thru security again. There is no airside connection between T5 and other terminals as far as I know.

Your departure at FCO is a bit scary, if you are flying back on the same day your cruise ends - I dont know how you plan to get to the airport from Civi.

If you plan to take the train, keep in mind the Italian train is not known for being ontime. Delays are often, and delay usually means hour and then some... On top of that, the trains from Civi would arrive Rome termini at platforms 27 or 28, they are at the very very far end - it is a good 15 fast minutes walk from the platforms to the hall of the train station.

There is no airside connection between T5 and other terminals as far as I know.
No, there are buses to all other terminals airside. I went T5>T1 last week; plane to bus to T1 took ~30 min. I was flying out on Aer Fungus to DUB and therefore had to clear UK immigration at T1, but the whole process was very quick.

The connection is a little short at Heathrow, 1 hour and 40 minutes.
I agree with gardyloo: You should be fine with this. It's not generous, but the T5/T3 airside transfer operation should be pretty slick.

You will have to clear security whether you transfer airside or landside, and even if you are within the same terminal, as you are arriving from outside the UK and must be re-screened in the UK before your next flight. This will take place when you get to T3.

You guys are correct.

I always equate re-entering security to landside - because in my mind, if you never leave the secured area, why would you need to go thru security again? Even if you are flying in from outside UK, you need to clear security before you can board that plane, so in theory you should be in a "sterile" environment and should not need to clear security again.

In that sense, the Airside is not much different from the Landside because of the re-entering security.

I always equate re-entering security to landside - because in my mind, if you never leave the secured area, why would you need to go thru security again?
And for anyone who is wondering, the answer to the question is "because you have only been security-cleared to the standards of a foreign country, which are seldom automatically accepted by another country". Every country will normally want to see every passenger security-screened to its own standards before boarding. That's why the main exception to the "security screen everyone before boarding" is domestic-only connections.

And for anyone who is wondering, the answer to the question is "because you have only been security-cleared to the standards of a foreign country, which are seldom automatically accepted by another country". Every country will normally want to see every passenger security-screened to its own standards before boarding. That's why the main exception to the "security screen everyone before boarding" is domestic-only connections.

How rigorous will the screening be for my two employees??? They are flying FRA/LHR/DXB on Jan 6. Have about three hours between flights, so time should not be an issue. T-5 to T-5, I believe.

I wanted them to be able to enjoy BA's great lounges. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I have to get these two guys from the USA to Europe (FRA) and on to DXB in one piece with the least amount of hassle. One has never been out of the country other than across the border trips via road to Mexico and Canada. The other one has flown 3 times in his life, once to London about 6 years ago.

This should be an interesting experience.

PS-BA will check their luggage through to DXB, correct???

How rigorous will the screening be for my two employees??? They are flying FRA/LHR/DXB on Jan 6. Have about three hours between flights, so time should not be an issue. T-5 to T-5, I believe.

I wanted them to be able to enjoy BA's great lounges.

PS-BA will check their luggage through to DXB, correct???

Yes, this will be a T5-T5 connection. The screening will just be the standard screening that everyone gets. Connecting passengers who are being screened in the main building (T5A) - as your employees will as they have a long connection - go through the same security screening point on the north side of the terminal that Heathrow-originating passengers do.

And yes, the luggage will be through-checked. And as you know, T5-T5 baggage performance is rather stunning at the moment.

Not to butt in, but I have some approximate costs. We are flying from Denver, and a ticket on all of the major airlines has been running $1300+ pp. It's not much cheaper out of NYC. But, I have found airfare (and purchased it) on Iberia Air for $683 pp round trip from JFK to FCO with a stop in Madrid. We are getting to JFK by other means (free United tickets). Hope this helps.

Yes, this will be a T5-T5 connection. The screening will just be the standard screening that everyone gets. Connecting passengers who are being screened in the main building (T5A) - as your employees will as they have a long connection - go through the same security screening point on the north side of the terminal that Heathrow-originating passengers do.

And yes, the luggage will be through-checked. And as you know, T5-T5 baggage performance is rather stunning at the moment.

Thanks

Just trying to do as much "babysitting" as I can in advance. This could be a real disaster if they miss a flight. I will be flying around Australia/Vietnam at the time, so not a lot of immediate help available from me. And most of the people in the office don't have much international flight experience. This situation is making me VERY nervous. I am really tempted to put NY Eve in SYD on hold and just go to Dubai myself. Can't do that but don't think I haven't gone over all the worst case scenarios I can think of.

Nice to know T-5 baggage is working well. One less thing to worry about.

Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well. I will be a wreck until they land in Dubai. Then they are on their own-the US government can take care of them.

I really wouldn't worry about it. There are three BA LHR-DXBs a day, so they aren't exactly going to have to wait long if they do miss one. It's just more drinking - sorry, relaxing - time in the lounge!

They are on the last one out that night-9:35PM I think. That is my worry-they are flying on award tickets. IF they miss the flight or something gets messed up, will there be award seats the next day??? Will they have enough sense to make new arrangements on their own??? They are both d*** good handling ground transport, that big sky is a whole 'nother ball game that they rarely deal in.

And don't even go there about "relaxing" in the lounge!!! Another one of my nightmares-tie one on in FRA tasting all the German beers, miss the train to the airport. Tie one on in the lounge-miss the plane to DXB.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Greatam, write them a Cliff Note 123 What Ifs with the answers, like a little manual they can go by. They should be just fine.

I am sure BA would be able to put them on next day's flight, if for whatever reason either they miss the flight or their flight is cancelled. The only thing that is not sure, probably is they may not be put in business class the next day.

Greatam, write them a Cliff Note 123 What Ifs with the answers, like a little manual they can go by. They should be just fine.

I am sure BA would be able to put them on next day's flight, if for whatever reason either they miss the flight or their flight is cancelled. The only thing that is not sure, probably is they may not be put in business class the next day.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Globaliser was kind enough to write out a Cliff Notes version of the transfer at T-5, including detailed lounge and restaurant info. Thanks again so much Globaliser!!!

I didn't know you got a free spa treatment on BA business class. Look what I have been missing!!! I should spend more time investigating what amenities lounges offer instead of drinking champagne.

I have printed out VERY specific directions from the train to the hotel in Mainz Germany, thanks to a very kind poster on Lonely Planet. Even as detailed as "don't use any Euro notes larger than 10, don't book the tickets in advance". I love the backpackers on Lonely Planet. They always have such good, detailed info.

Then I printed out directions how to get to their Rhine River cruise and back to the hotel, compliments of the same poster. The hotel is closed for the holidays until 9:00AM the morning they arrive. And they can't check in until 3:00PM. So I have it figured this way-plane arrives 7:05AM. About an hour or so to get through immigration and customs and collect luggage. Find the train station in the basement of the airport and the PROPER train. Then get to the hotel (which is right across the street from the train station), drop off the luggage and get back on the train for their cruise. Cruise leaves at noon and train to cruise is only an hour, so they should have plenty of time. When they return from the cruise, go straight to the hotel (should be about 5:00PM). They will be tired even though they are flying business to FRA. So overnight at the hotel, reverse the train back to the airport and HOPE they get on the correct plane to LHR.

I have gotten them 300 Euros, all in small bills, which should make the train, cruise and hotel payments easy. The rest of the stuff-up to them. But I do know my Missouri guy asked the local bank for Euros (guess he was listening to my suggestion about getting foreign currency from your local bank). The local bank in Missouri (very, very small bank) called me and wanted to know if the Euros should be billed to our corporate account. NO But they stated it would take a "few days" to get Euros, but should have them by Friday, Jan 2. An unusual request in that little bank, I'm sure.

All in all, I hope I have covered every base I can think of. My admin spent yesterday printing out currency conversions, what to do if the Army doesn't meet them, how to get the work visa on arrival and every email address she could find that may be needed. Also a HUGE phone list, including my satellite phone (darn her). Even the number of our AA cargo rep.

I just hope they put their thinking caps on and not be in awe of their trip. Neither has flown business class anyplace, so that in itself is a gah-gah experience for them (all they can talk about-SLEEPING on the plane over the ocean for 9 hours). Plus flying half way around the world when neither of them has been anyplace at all. All we can do is hope they have a good trip. And bring me home a whopping contract!!!!

Hi Greatam,

Sounds like you have covered all the bases, so quit worrying. :)

One suggestion, why wouldn't you have them bring at least one personal ATM card?

I know you have enough Euros to cover the need when they are in transit. However, for the emergency case, may be they should also have 1 ATM card and 1 credit card with themselves?

As long as their ATM cards PIN is the 4-digit type, they should be able to get euro at any ATM in Germany in case they have to.

Actually it would be CHEAPER even their bank would charge withdrawal fee for each withdrawal they make, to get Euro from foreign ATM than buy Euro from banks in US as the ATMs use multi-million bank to bank exchange rate for ATM transactions, while the banks use a much more profitable (to the bank, not the customer) exchange rate when they sell you the Euro - the spread can often be 5 to 7%.

Hi Greatam,

Sounds like you have covered all the bases, so quit worrying. :)

One suggestion, why wouldn't you have them bring at least one personal ATM card?

I know you have enough Euros to cover the need when they are in transit. However, for the emergency case, may be they should also have 1 ATM card and 1 credit card with themselves?

As long as their ATM cards PIN is the 4-digit type, they should be able to get euro at any ATM in Germany in case they have to.

Actually it would be CHEAPER even their bank would charge withdrawal fee for each withdrawal they make, to get Euro from foreign ATM than buy Euro from banks in US as the ATMs use multi-million bank to bank exchange rate for ATM transactions, while the banks use a much more profitable (to the bank, not the customer) exchange rate when they sell you the Euro - the spread can often be 5 to 7%.

Thanks for the concern. They have their own ATM cards and company credit cards.

As for the foreign currency from the local banks-the exchange rate Friday was 1.41 Euros per dollar at both Chase and B of A, which was the inter bank rate internationally (it's what I bought their Euros for-direct debited out of the company account). My Missouri employee only was charged 1.44 Euros per dollar, so not a bad rate, especially for a little bank that has no direct tie to the Fed. Certainly less than Travelex or any of the currency exchanges. And no international transaction fees plus no hassles with whether the cards will work overseas. And for them, finding the ATM and being able to read German or Arabic to decipher the ATM could be a MAJOR hassle.

For common currencies-Euros, GBP, Yen, Baht or Yuan, I have always found large US banks to give the best rates and by getting currency here in the US, makes it easy to arrive in a country with cash. I have only found a couple of banks (in Los Angeles) that have access to Vietnam Dong or Peruvian Soles without major hassles and upcharges. For those currencies, I use the ATM.

I'm having one heck of a time getting packed. Company is essentially shut down for our annual Xmas break, so no worries there. I just can't get motivated to pack. Lots of paperwork has to go, so excess baggage charges will be paid. Maybe the long trips to Asia are finally getting to me!!!

Although not as powerful or extensive as expertflyer.com, today's Wall Street Journal reports that yapta.com will send one an email if a flight that they are tracking introduces a FF award sometime in the future. (FF availability can change on a day to day basis.) At the moment it is limited to only 5 airlines, but the service is free.

Greastam, I need your help! I asked several weeks ago about finding airfare one way to England for a cruise in Nov. 2009, and you said that you might be able to help when the fares started to be posted. Well, some are out and I would like to ask for your input on a couple of options i have found. We want to leave Charleston, SC on Sat. Nov.21, 2 days before we board the ship in Southampton.

Option 1: Purchase tickets through Travelocity. Leave Chs at 10:45 am to Bos on US Air with a 2hr layover in Washington(dca). Arrive Bos at 3:51pm. Depart 8:20pm on Aerlingus. Arrive Dub at 7:45am. Depart Dub at 11:00am, and arrive Lgw at 12:20PM. Cost $458PP

Option 2: Purchase tickets through Best Travel Store. Depart Chs to Clt at 4:05pm. and arrive Clt 5:15pm. Depart Clt 8:25 PM and arrive Lgw 9:10am. Cost $474pp. All US Air

Option 3: Rent car in chs, drive 3 hours to Clt and depart Clt at 8:25PM flight to LGW. Cost $422PP, also through Best Travel store.

This is what I have found so far. what do you think? Should I take one of these, or wait? I know Best Travel store sells consolidator tickets, but if I have only the one connection in Clt or none at all If I drive to Clt, what are your thoughts?

I would like to keep the cost to under $600pp. Thanks ahead of time for your input and that of anyone else who might respond.

Cindy

Just an FYI greatam is currently in the middle of a long trip to various points in the Eastern hemisphere so it may be a little bit before she can answer your questions. You might have better luck with Greatam answering if you start a new thread for your question.

Archived