Expertflyer comes through again-Booking FF ticket is soooo easy

greatam

Need two tickets to Dubai from the USA the first week in January. The initial flight out of the US HAS to be on a US carrier (US government contract). United and Delta fly nonstop from IAD and ATL respectively-15 hours each way. There is no way I would subject my employees or myself to a 15 hour overnight flight in coach. They are not going on vacation-they are going to work. They need to be rested and ready to work. And I have a fixed price I must abide by to be reimbursed.

BUT to purchase a ticket that is upgradeable on United or Delta is about $900pp ABOVE the price of my contract PLUS I need a whole lot of miles for the upgrade.

So to Expertflyer I go (again and again and again).

I was able to get a ticket routed this way-DFW/FRA/LHR/DXB. And on the return, they are flying from DXB/HKG/LAX/DFW (week vacation on the return). Completely around the world in business class on AA-150,000 miles each.

IF I didn't have the subsubscription to Expertflyer, I would have had to keep checking all the airline websites and HOPE I happened to log on at the SPECIFIC time the DFW/FRA segment was available in business class.

But due to Expertflyer, I was able to set up alerts for three airlines and lots of different routings-through LHR, through BRU, through FRA, BCN and even the long way around through NRT. There was plenty of availability on BA from either Europe or Japan to DXB, so that was not a problem. But getting OUT of the US on a US carrier was. Holiday season, prime time when everyone wants to use their miles for upgrades or long haul business/first class seats.

Viola!!!! Alert from EF about availability on DFW/FRA. Even found availability out of TUS to DFW (with an overnight at DFW). So all miles, all the way, round the world, all in business class.

You must pay for the premium subscription ($9.99) to get the email alerts and be able to search 3 days + or - a specified date. But $10.00 is pretty darn cheap to ENSURE you get the tickets you need.

Viola!!!!

viola.jpg

;)

ExpertFlyer is a very good resource, no doubt about that and for the very frequent flyer an excellent investment.

For my 105,000 miles of travel over the last 12 months I've managed to get all of info I'm after from seatcounter.com (for revenue bookings) or for award travel using either the ANA tool (for *A award bookings) or BA's award availability calendar which now allows good searches for some partner airlines online too.

For more complex stuff like yours it seems EF has pulled through. :)

I assume this is OW150C, then the employees can travel an additional 3,800 miles on the same award.

The itinerary is 21,149 miles traveled, per Great Circle Mapper. OW150C allows 25K miles traveled.

EF is worth it as it is a time saver and the alerts are invaluable.

I assume this is OW150C, then the employees can travel an additional 3,800 miles on the same award.

The itinerary is 21,149 miles traveled, per Great Circle Mapper. OW150C allows 25K miles traveled.

EF is worth it as it is a time saver and the alerts are invaluable.

You are correct-OWC 150. And because of those extra 1100 miles, the EXP desk worked furiously to redo the routing to either get more bang for the buck OR cut it below 20,000 miles for the OWC130.

Final routing-TUS/DFW/FRA/LHR/DXB/KWI and return-BKK/NRT/LAX/DFW/TUS-OWC130. And I will pay for the flight from KWI to BKK-$381.00pp on Gulf Air (so more AA miles)

We just couldn't get the Cathay segments from HKG/SGN/BKK to use up the miles. No sense paying for trip miles no one uses. Either the times didn't work together or there was no availability for the dates we needed. These guys are NOT on vacation. I need them back at work in the USA after one weeks vacation.

As I will be in Vietnam January 10, they thought it would be cool to meet up with "the boss" and let me show them around Vietnam/Cambodia.

So away we go-I will go to DXB and KWI in February/March to finish up the contract. Wow, I am eating up AA miles at a high rate of speed. But still just marvel at how much easier Expertflyer made routing this complicated trip. I have usually used EF for upgrades and have always had great success. Don't think I have ever really used it for a complete trip in the 3 years I have been a subscriber. But sure worth my money.

You wouldn't be able to cut it below 20K no matter how you slice it if you depart from USA.

OTOH, CX flies DXB-HKG direct but hardly has award inventory. I was told by those who actually fly pay tickets on this route that the non-stop is almost always full in the front cabins.

It also flies DXB-BOM-BKK-HKG direct, with the stops at BOM and BKK. I am pretty much sure it is not a daily flight, also has different departure time on the days it flies - different flight number as well. I just looked it up 3 weeks ago, and decided not to book it due to the recent events at BOM and BKK.

Have they checked the RJ inventory? They fly between DXB and AMM as well as BKK. Though I have never been able to unearth any award inventory from Royal Jordanian.

Great to hear EF deliver! I think the alert service is why it is worth the monthly sub fee. Besides, one can sub it only when needed, that is another plus.

You wouldn't be able to cut it below 20K no matter how you slice it if you depart from USA.

It's already a done deal-130,000 AA miles "paid", along with $109.86 taxes and fees pp 19,872 actual trip miles. As posted previously, I am paying for the Gulf Air flight from KWI to BKK. Even the business class Gulf Air flight was only $684.00pp. Pretty good deal for a 5.5+ hour flight.

OTOH, CX flies DXB-HKG direct but hardly has award inventory. I was told by those who actually fly pay tickets on this route that the non-stop is almost always full in the front cabins.

There was plenty of availability for most of January in the middle cabin, BUT the DXB/HKG/LAX routing kicked it into the 20-25,000 mile category. There was no way to use the other 4,000 miles and it was a joke to let those travel miles goes to waste.

It also flies DXB-BOM-BKK-HKG direct, with the stops at BOM and BKK. I am pretty much sure it is not a daily flight, also has different departure time on the days it flies - different flight number as well. I just looked it up 3 weeks ago, and decided not to book it due to the recent events at BOM and BKK.

Have they checked the RJ inventory? They fly between DXB and AMM as well as BKK. Though I have never been able to unearth any award inventory from Royal Jordanian.

Great to hear EF deliver! I think the alert service is why it is worth the monthly sub fee. Besides, one can sub it only when needed, that is another plus.

No way would I fly through BOM, nor would I subject my employees. I have a large sign in all three offices-"I will not ask you to do something I would not do myself". I mean it and I stick by it. So no BOM. And RJ had NO availability WITHOUT a 12-14 hour layover in Amman. Didn't want to hassle two inexperienced fliers to a Middle Eastern country that requires visa on arrival to leave the airport. I may have lost my employees in never never land.

All in all, it worked out VERY well. And although I booked specific dates on the return, I can always change them without a lot of hassle.

The availability you find on the DXB-HKG-LAX, the DXB-HKG is going thru BOM and BKK.

It would not show as such, other than the fly time is different from the Nonstop flight DXB-HKG. I was very puzzled by this so I set out to research more and discovered the 2 stops involved.

Agree, no way I would fly thru BOM.

The only way it would work as 130C would be not counting the land segment between KWI and BKK - that worked under the old rules (prior to Sept 1), should not work under the new rules, when the openjaw landsegment distance would count.

I hope the audit dept would not come back to say "oops", someone made a mistake.

There are stories about "ilegal" routings despite ticketed, the audit dept found the mistake and then come back to invalidate the tickets.

I actually have tickets that were booked under the old rules that would be OW150C, but due to involuntary flight changes, (by BA), the itinerary was recalculated by computer and it became a OW190C. I ended up cancel the tickets with redeposit fee waived because the additional 40K miles would be a total waste.

I hope this would not happen. If nothing changes (whther involantary or volantary), you may get away from it.

All in all, it worked out VERY well. And although I booked specific dates on the return, I can always change them without a lot of hassle.

Not sure I would try to change date of travel - given that based on my research, the openjaw segment distance should be included in the calculation of distance travel, and in your case, they ticketed it without doing so, I would try to lay low and just travel as ticketed.

Each re-issuance of award ticket would go thru the ticketing / audit dept, and they do examine more closely on OW awards.

Not sure I would try to change date of travel - given that based on my research, the openjaw segment distance should be included in the calculation of distance travel, and in your case, they ticketed it without doing so, I would try to lay low and just travel as ticketed.

Each re-issuance of award ticket would go thru the ticketing / audit dept, and they do examine more closely on OW awards.

Open jaw distance is NOT calculated in the total miles. Went over and over that before I booked the tickets. Had 4 different people-2 with AAdvantage and 2 at the EXP desk- run the miles and no one included the open jaw distance. I also read all the fine print I could find and could not see that it was TOTAL miles, just TOTAL FLIGHT miles.

If the distance was calculated, there is NO advantage to getting the OneWorld awards. You are better off flying the partner awards (which is what I usually use and has a whole lot more airlines available), as the miles were only 10,000 more for two tickets, NOT 40,000 more.

I may have to change the dates of travel. This is a US government contract. We were supposed to be in Kuwait for a big meeting on November 25. It was put off until first week in January and I have to be in Vietnam/Cambodia at that time. So I am sending my NY operations manager and my head dispatcher from Missouri. My Missouri guy has never been out of the country other than to Canada and Mexico. Was going to send DH, but I already have those tickets to Vietnam/Sydney and he would rather go with me than to Kuwait. Since it is government stuff, the dates may change a lot on the back end.

Know anything about Frankfurt area???? I have been through the airport a few times, but never around the area (I am not a big Europe fan). They arrive FRA on Jan. 5 (very early morning), then leave for LHR on Jan 6 (mid afternoon). So I have to find them a hotel. Airport area hotels are easy, but since they have never been anyplace, thought maybe I ought to point them to some sightseeing. Doesn't look like Frankfurt is too great to see anything and probably too cold for a Rhine River cruise. Got any suggestions????

Good to know openjaw distance does not count in the calculation - we could use such for IST / ATH, though it would probably be in 2010. We have a OW150C Circle Pacific, as in MIA-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN-KUL-HKG-TPE-ICN-KIX-CST-NRT-SFO-LAX, 24,475 miles, 13 segments, and 46 days, May thru Jul. This is the replacement for the cancelled one which was a RTW.

FRA is not much fun by itself - though a train ride from FRA could go to some interesting places not too far away. Heidelberg comes to mind, or Stuttgart to visit the Mercedes Museum, for example.

However, given your guys are first time travellers to Europe, I would hesitate to throw in short daytrip by train.

Since they are from New York and Missouri, bitter cold is nothing new to them. Still, the coldness does not facilitate sightseeing.

reading that made me tired.....BUT, 2 quick questions...

1) do you ever use any miles for FUN

2) you hiring??? :eek::D:p

It's ALL fun. Who else gets to travel in the "style I have become accustomed to" (thanks to all those airline miles and Priceline hotels) to some pretty exotic places and get to sightsee the world at the same time. Even when the company was first started (when I was still driving a truck), I made it a POINT to go do fun things and see things. Figured I got paid to go there, might as well take advantage. Sightseeing NYC in a semi is a real trip. Football games at Giants Stadium (you get to park your semi right up front with the team bus), watching the Rucker Park Streetball tournament (some of the best in the NBA participate-all free and less than a mile from the 125th Street meat market), parking your semi on 34th directly below the Empire State Bldg. I have a picture hanging in the NY office of 6 semis lined up on 34th. All my trucks. We had a great time that night. And my favorite parking place-Ave of the Americas, just north of Houston on the West Side of the street. Little park (very little-just room for one semi), some of the best street pizza in NYC, great subway connections within a block, fantastic Frye boot store and NO ONE thinks anything of a semi parked anyplace in NYC.

This morning, I could hire 3 EXTREMELY large snow plows to get Interstate 80, 40 and 15 open. I have trucks snowed in in LOS ANGELES. And my guys going into the Bay Area are having to run the long way around north from Reno, up through Susanville and back South into Sacramento to get around the Tahoe area.

Other than a giant snowplow, can you run a forklift, drive a truck or know anything about logistics planning and all the paperwork that goes along with the job???? I'M HIRING!!!!

It's ALL fun. Who else gets to travel in the "style I have become accustomed to" (thanks to all those airline miles and Priceline hotels) to some pretty exotic places and get to sightsee the world at the same time. Even when the company was first started (when I was still driving a truck), I made it a POINT to go do fun things and see things. Figured I got paid to go there, might as well take advantage. Sightseeing NYC in a semi is a real trip. Football games at Giants Stadium (you get to park your semi right up front with the team bus), watching the Rucker Park Streetball tournament (some of the best in the NBA participate-all free and less than a mile from the 125th Street meat market), parking your semi on 34th directly below the Empire State Bldg. I have a picture hanging in the NY office of 6 semis lined up on 34th. All my trucks. We had a great time that night. And my favorite parking place-Ave of the Americas, just north of Houston on the West Side of the street. Little park (very little-just room for one semi), some of the best street pizza in NYC, great subway connections within a block, fantastic Frye boot store and NO ONE thinks anything of a semi parked anyplace in NYC.

This morning, I could hire 3 EXTREMELY large snow plows to get Interstate 80, 40 and 15 open. I have trucks snowed in in LOS ANGELES. And my guys going into the Bay Area are having to run the long way around north from Reno, up through Susanville and back South into Sacramento to get around the Tahoe area.

Other than a giant snowplow, can you run a forklift, drive a truck or know anything about logistics planning and all the paperwork that goes along with the job???? I'M HIRING!!!!

LOL!!! Hmmm......does a lawn mower count???? I WAS a politics major..i can think analytically and solve problems, and i crunch numbers too!!

EHhh,....maybe i will go to truck driving school!!

travel safe! hope the snow in LA melts....(really?? it is frozen snow, or is it that fake, TV snow!)

Know anything about Frankfurt area???? I have been through the airport a few times, but never around the area (I am not a big Europe fan). They arrive FRA on Jan. 5 (very early morning), then leave for LHR on Jan 6 (mid afternoon). So I have to find them a hotel. Airport area hotels are easy, but since they have never been anyplace, thought maybe I ought to point them to some sightseeing. Doesn't look like Frankfurt is too great to see anything and probably too cold for a Rhine River cruise. Got any suggestions????

We had a long layover in Frankfurt on our way to India in 1999 (otherwise we seem to be passing through) I'll have to ask my sister as we were with her and her DH and another friend. We joined them on their honeymoon :) All I remember was taking my DH's B-Day cake (which we never ate on the plane - can you imagine taking off food in this day and age?) taking the cake to some restaurant where they actually allowed us to eat it. Than it was off to see a bunch of Architecture as sister and her Dh are architects.

Greatam, ok, my DH remembered. Go to Heidelberg, Germany. We stopped overnight on our way back to the US. It is one hour from Frankfurt and you can get a bus right from the airport. The Castle is very interesting. In fact I have a couple of B&W photos hanging in my hallway. It was beautiful in the winter snow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg

http://www.heidelberg.de/servlet/PB/menu/1088101_l2/index.html

http://www.lufthansa-airportbus.com/strecken_heidelberg.html

LOL!!! Hmmm......does a lawn mower count???? I WAS a politics major..i can think analytically and solve problems, and i crunch numbers too!!

EHhh,....maybe i will go to truck driving school!!

travel safe! hope the snow in LA melts....(really?? it is frozen snow, or is it that fake, TV snow!)

REAL SNOW. I-15 from just north of San Bernadino (heads to Vegas) over Cajon pass has almost a foot of snow. I-5 north of LA over Tejon Pass is CHAINS only. And there is about 6 inches of snow in Yucca Valley, which is straight north about 50 miles from PALM SPRINGS. Anyplace that was over 2500 ft got snowed on. So all roads out of Los Angeles except for South to San Diego were shut down. They are SPORADICALLY open now and the main part of the storm is now in Northern Arizona. But the crazy Californians think 4 wheel drives go anyplace at 70MPH. RIGHT INTO THE DITCH and the road gets shut down again!!!

Bring me a Class B license (straight truck, not a semi) and you can go to work tomorrow out of the Bronx office. Would be a long commute.

I have to be in Vietnam/Cambodia at that time.

We booked a Azamara cruise (will keep pending air travel, this is for 2010) and could use your advise on getting to Angkor Wat. I know its about an hour flight or so from Bangkok. However, I lived in Bangkok for several months in the early 90's and want to spend the time in Thailand. So, would probably have to travel from Cambodia (I understand about 4 hours drive to the airport and then fly, overnight, and rejoin the ship in Bangkok the next day?) This itinerary is pretty good but canceled Rotterdam was better as it included Malaysia and Southern Thailand (I never did go South).

cid:image011.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

Date

Port/City

cid:image012.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

Activitycid:image013.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

cid:image014.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

Description

Day 1

Hong Kong, China

Day 2

Hong Kong, China

Docked

Depart 5:00 PM

Day 3

At Sea

Day 4

Hue (Danang), Vietnam

Docked

Arrive 7:00 AM

Depart 7:00 PM

Day 5

At Sea

Day 6

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Docked

Arrive 9:00 AM

Day 7

Docked

Depart 4:00 PM

Day 8

At Sea

Day 9

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Docked

Arrive 6:00 AM

Depart 8:00 PM

Day 10

Bangkok(Klong Toey),Thailand

Docked

Arrive 4:00 PM

Day 11

Docked

Day 12

Docked

Depart 1:00 PM

Day 13

At Sea

Day 14

Singapore

Docked

Day 15

Singapore

We had a long layover in Frankfurt on our way to India in 1999 (otherwise we seem to be passing through) I'll have to ask my sister as we were with her and her DH and another friend. We joined them on their honeymoon :) All I remember was taking my DH's B-Day cake (which we never ate on the plane - can you imagine taking off food in this day and age?) taking the cake to some restaurant where they actually allowed us to eat it. Than it was off to see a bunch of Architecture as sister and her Dh are architects.

Greatam, ok, my DH remembered. Go to Heidelberg, Germany. We stopped overnight on our way back to the US. It is one hour from Frankfurt and you can get a bus right from the airport. The Castle is very interesting. In fact I have a couple of B&W photos hanging in my hallway. It was beautiful in the winter snow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg

http://www.heidelberg.de/servlet/PB/menu/1088101_l2/index.html

http://www.lufthansa-airportbus.com/strecken_heidelberg.html

Thanks so much for the info. I just hate to stick these two guys in a hotel room for about 30 hours and not have them see anything. One has been to London and the other guy has basically been nowhere. And a bus from the airport-how lucky is that. They really couldn't get lost. They can't check into the hotel until about noon, so they have 5 hours to hang out. They will KILL me if they are stuck at the airport. Thanks again.

[quote name=greatam;

Bring me a Class B license (straight truck' date=' not a semi) and you can go to work tomorrow out of the Bronx office. Would be a long commute.[/quote]

My DH preferred driving a truck vs cooking in a kitchen (doesn't mind cooking at home). He keeps telling me he is going to look for another job driving. He has kept his Class B license :)

Thanks so much for the info. I just hate to stick these two guys in a hotel room for about 30 hours and not have them see anything. One has been to London and the other guy has basically been nowhere. And a bus from the airport-how lucky is that. They really couldn't get lost. They can't check into the hotel until about noon, so they have 5 hours to hang out. They will KILL me if they are stuck at the airport. Thanks again.

Would you believe my DH had never been out of the US (OK, Canada), and got on a plane with me and ended up in India? The first morning he opened the door and all these cows went running by and a guy stayed there for hours trying to sell him a leather whip. Every time he opened the door the same man was there with this one whip. Btw, we still have the whip as it makes a great story. I think it cost about a $1.00.

We booked a Azamara cruise (will keep pending air travel, this is for 2010) and could use your advise on getting to Angkor Wat. I know its about an hour flight or so from Bangkok. However, I lived in Bangkok for several months in the early 90's and want to spend the time in Thailand. So, would probably have to travel from Cambodia (I understand about 4 hours drive to the airport and then fly, overnight, and rejoin the ship in Bangkok the next day?) This itinerary is pretty good but canceled Rotterdam was better as it included Malaysia and Southern Thailand (I never did go South).

Date

Port/City

cid:image012.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

Activitycid:image013.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

cid:image014.gif@01C95DFC.F9C9E630

Description

Day 1

Hong Kong, China

Day 2

Hong Kong, China

Docked

Depart 5:00 PM

Day 3

At Sea

Day 4

Hue (Danang), Vietnam

Docked

Arrive 7:00 AM

Depart 7:00 PM

Day 5

At Sea

Day 6

Docked

Arrive 9:00 AM

Day 7

Docked

Depart 4:00 PM

Day 8

At Sea

Day 9

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

Docked

Arrive 6:00 AM

Depart 8:00 PM

Day 10

Docked

Day 11

Docked

Day 12

Docked

Depart 1:00 PM

Day 13

At Sea

Day 14

Singapore

Docked

Day 15

Singapore

If it was my trip, I would fly out of Saigon and forget Sihanoukville. Then fly back into Bangkok from Siem Reap at your leisure. Bangkok Airways flies SGN to REP, with a stop in Phnom Phen.

When you get to Phnom Phen, you can come see my new hotel (if I EVER get the darn thing open-almost 3 years dealing with the government). Or if you want a real look at Cambodia, take the plane to PP, spend the night and the following morning, take the fast boat up the Tonle Sap river direct into Siem Reap. About a 4 hour boat ride from PP.

If you are REALLY adventurous, you can get a boat all the way from Saigon, up the Mekong to the Tonle Sap to Siem Reap. It is truly a spectacular trip.

My DH preferred driving a truck vs cooking in a kitchen (doesn't mind cooking at home). He keeps telling me he is going to look for another job driving. He has kept his Class B license :)

LOTS of driving jobs out there. If he is interested, I may need a driver. If I don't, I am sure I know someone who does.

Contact for future reference:

greatam.az@gmail.com

Would you believe my DH had never been out of the US (OK, Canada), and got on a plane with me and ended up in India? The first morning he opened the door and all these cows went running by and a guy stayed there for hours trying to sell him a leather whip. Every time he opened the door the same man was there with this one whip. Btw, we still have the whip as it makes a great story. I think it cost about a $1.00.

Great story!!!

REAL SNOW. I-15 from just north of San Bernadino (heads to Vegas) over Cajon pass has almost a foot of snow. I-5 north of LA over Tejon Pass is CHAINS only. And there is about 6 inches of snow in Yucca Valley, which is straight north about 50 miles from PALM SPRINGS. Anyplace that was over 2500 ft got snowed on. So all roads out of Los Angeles except for South to San Diego were shut down. They are SPORADICALLY open now and the main part of the storm is now in Northern Arizona. But the crazy Californians think 4 wheel drives go anyplace at 70MPH. RIGHT INTO THE DITCH and the road gets shut down again!!!

Bring me a Class B license (straight truck, not a semi) and you can go to work tomorrow out of the Bronx office. Would be a long commute.

I believe it. We drove thru those sections in Dec of 2002 from LA to Las Vegas and the snow was just plowed, created a 2 to 3 feet mount along the road.

Greatam,

Can expertflyer be used to check on the availability of American FF Partner award tickets? I am returning from Rome in September 09 and I have booked my flights my B.C. award tickets. I booked them as soon as seats were released, but I was hoping to get a better return or possible even a direct flight to Chicago. I have check the AA website almost daily looking for an improved option. I do know that one cannot fly BA across the pond due to restrictions, but I have not been able to see any flights better than the ones that I have already booked. So I was wondering if Expertflyer is a tool that can be effectively used to monitor the available of better flights within American and with their Partners? What is your experience and recommendation related to Expertflyer? What is the cost? I am looking for a return on September 28th for either Business or First Class. From your posts, I can see that you have a lot of experience in this area. Thanks.

Archived